Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternate methods of leveling?

AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I admit i haven't researched this game much aside from some korean videos i watched on youtube... now after playing the beta weekend and getting to level 15 I wanted to ask are there alternate methods to leveling?

I mean I see there's a dungeon when you hit level 20 and read soem info on battlegrounds but couldn't find any real info on them for the NA release... To me questing was pretty much as bad as i remember lineage 2's but what makes it worse is every race starts in the same place. At least in lineage 2(and I keep comparing it to lineage 2 because the game reminds me of it in many ways) you had a differn't starter area for each race. 

Did I miss something as far as low level dungeons or BG's or are they just not in the game? Are you required to get to level 20+ grinding or leveling through the same exact quest chains for every character till you hit BAMs and the first dungeon?

Just curious because overall I enjoy the game but found since pretty much every AAA title released in recent years had multiple ways to level a character its sort of a let down if there's really nothing else you can do to level a char until the later levels.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by Aerowyn

I admit i haven't researched this game much aside from some korean videos i watched on youtube... now after playing the beta weekend and getting to level 15 I wanted to ask are there alternate methods to leveling?

I mean I see there's a dungeon when you hit level 20 and read soem info on battlegrounds but couldn't find any real info on them for the NA release... To me questing was pretty much as bad as i remember lineage 2's but what makes it worse is every race starts in the same place. At least in lineage 2(and I keep comparing it to lineage 2 because the game reminds me of it in many ways) you had a differn't starter area for each race. 

Did I miss something as far as low level dungeons or BG's or are they just not in the game? Are you required to get to level 20+ grinding or leveling through the same exact quest chains for every character till you hit BAMs and the first dungeon?

Just curious because overall I enjoy the game but found since pretty much every AAA title released in recent years had multiple ways to level a character its sort of a let down if there's really nothing else you can do to level a char until the later levels.

The quests in Lineage 2 were far worse. Oh, the quests in Tera are, for the most part horrible, (some are kind of good but not many that I at my lowly lvl 18 encountered) but Lineage 2's quests were just bleh.

Having said that, it seems that you can open world pvp at lvl 11 on a pvp server. Other than that the first large instance comes at 20.

There really doesn't seem to be any alternate ways to level that I could see. Not sure if crafting gives xp. If it does I can't imagine it will take the place of killing mobs.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Sovrath

The quests in Lineage 2 were far worse. Oh, the quests in Tera are, for the most part horrible, (some are kind of good but not many that I at my lowly lvl 18 encountered) but Lineage 2's quests were just bleh.

Having said that, it seems that you can open world pvp at lvl 11 on a pvp server. Other than that the first large instance comes at 20.

There really doesn't seem to be any alternate ways to level that I could see. Not sure if crafting gives xp. If it does I can't imagine it will take the place of killing mobs.

Well even pvp didn't look like it gave much xp. BTW the quest were prob some of the worst Ive seen in a LONG time...

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Kuppa

Well even pvp didn't look like it gave much xp. BTW the quest were prob some of the worst Ive seen in a LONG time...

I have no problem with the quests because they give you a shit ton, all three times by level 20 my quest log was full and i'd have to delete them all to accept new ones.

Basically you can pick and choose a lot of the quests and still get enough xp, especially once you leave the island of dawn.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by Kuppa

I have no problem with the quests because they give you a shit ton, all three times by level 20 my quest log was full and i'd have to delete them all to accept new ones.

Basically you can pick and choose a lot of the quests and still get enough xp, especially once you leave the island of dawn.

There are definately going for quantity over quality cause there are a shit ton of quest. The quest themselves are horrible though. I was happy to see that overall quests give out good xp also so not a regular korean grinder.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

PLEASE tell me this isn't another killtenrats game. And if so Haven't they learned anything by now? WTH

Originally posted by itgrowls

PLEASE tell me this isn't another killtenrats game. And if so Haven't they learned anything by now? WTH

Its killtenBAMs game

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Did anyone bother to read the quests? Personally I avoided doing just that so as not to spoil the early levels completely, since I play a lot during the beta events.

You can basically do the exact same thing in LOTRO quests, ie click quest giver, accept, go to place, kill or deliver, return, reward. You do miss the interesting story attached to them though.

Originally posted by Xasapis

Did anyone bother to read the quests? Personally I avoided doing just that so as not to spoil the early levels completely, since I play a lot during the beta events.

You can basically do the exact same thing in LOTRO quests, ie click quest giver, accept, go to place, kill or deliver, return, reward. You do miss the interesting story attached to them though.

There is not much interesting story attached to Tera quests image. And they are poorly translated but that can and hopefully will change.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

not sure if this was a serious post.. but so far from what I have played questing is about as basic as it comes.. just wish you had some sort of dungeon or battleground type thing to allow you to level from 10+... even at 20+ doesn't look like you have a whole ton of options.. Rift had a ton of options right at launch... guess I expect to much I dunno.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• santimiarsantimiar Member Posts: 129

what type of quests were you hoping for and how would you implement it?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by santimiar

what type of quests were you hoping for and how would you implement it?

although I'm really excited about guild wars 2 dynamic quests and what Iv'e seen their I know this game wasn't designed liked that so not expecting anything similar.. for me id just enjoy alternate ways to reach cap. In Rift once I hit 10 with 2 of my guys I didn't do a single quest and just did warfronts and dungeons to 50. 

Also only a single starting zone is a let down for me...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by Xasapis

Let's put it this way, I always read the quests. ALWAYS!

Except now. This is the first game where I quickly browse the quests. I have the gist of what's going on. The quests where they send me to an objective I like. I get to fight my way through and that I find enjoyable.

But for some reason, Tera quests have you doing more running than fighting. I've basically stopped donig quests that I feel are just beneath me.

Anything where I need to deliver something to a farm or some guy has a love letter (didn't come across that but it's in Aion) or I need to run around to check stuff I generally pass.

Kill mutant unicorns? That I can do.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo