Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where's the hype?

ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

AAA production.

3 faction PvP.

Territory control.

Open, seamless world.

Deep, meaningful crafting.

Original lore.

Not a WoW clone.

It seems kind of unfair when you see other games like SWTOR completely monopolizing these forums for weeks at a time and Dominus pretty much being  ignored.

Personally I'm super hyped for this one, it has alot of features I've been waiting for in an MMO.

Comments

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Not much hype on this site because they can't aim :)

But yes, I am excited...I don't like hype anyways...sleepers are the way to go.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

I prefer it not having much hype, it means not as many people getting unrealistic expectations. Well....at least it gives it a better chance for that anyways. Anyways I think its because people are too busy singing about the alleged second coming of Christ that is GW2, and so all the hype is being directed towards that game.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Well by hype I just mean "attention", this game isn't getting much at all.

It might be a good thing I don't know but at least people should be aware this game exists.

Why so few staff articles on this game? Or have I missed them all?

Instead of the bi weekly reports we get on Rift maybe the mmorpg.com staff could spend a bit of time on Dominus?

Spread the love, I say :)

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

True it is getting little attention, heck my friend who has become obessed with PvPing in SWTOR and loved DAoC didnt know about this game. The main reason I see it getting little attention is with GW2 coming out soon. Ah well as long as the game gets enough attention to create a stable population, assuming its actually good of course, I'll be happy.

• maxiime223maxiime223 Member Posts: 94

I'd acutally be thrilled about this game if there wasn't a subscription fee.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

IDK, the game seems kinda generic to me. I'm more interested in firefall as far as sci-fi mmo's go.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Its caught my eye as well. I had acually forgoten about it until a week or so ago when I saw someone mention it on the FB TOR page.. OP is correct, there is very little talk about this one.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

its  not really an aaa mmo its indie dev with some backing from a bank

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Dominus and The Repopulation have been at the front of my radar for a while now. Im glad its not getting too much hype here. Like someone earlier said, sleeper hits ftw.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• SanyaSanya Director of Community Undead LabsMember UncommonPosts: 50

No hype.

None.

It will kill my game.

We are a small company with limited resources. I am only interested in the sort of player who gets that. This isn't going to launch like a game with a 100 mill budget.

Also, it's a three faction PVP game. Once people cross into the PVP areas, which they can do whenever they want even though the progression won't nudge you there until the midpoint, they can be killed.

Hype would bring me thousands of people who will like the idea until they die, at which point it's because the other side OMGHAXXOR, as opposed to "zoned in at too low a skill point total without the protection of a guild."

Sanya M. Weathers
    Director of Community
    Undead Labs

Originally posted by Raxeon

its  not really an aaa mmo its indie dev with some backing from a bank

It's indie as much as Trion (Rift) is indie. AAA just means they have the budget, manpower and talent to make a high quality game, it doesn't mean they have to be owned by a mega corporation.

Originally posted by Sanya

No hype.

None.

It will kill my game.

We are a small company with limited resources. I am only interested in the sort of player who gets that. This isn't going to launch like a game with a 100 mill budget.

Also, it's a three faction PVP game. Once people cross into the PVP areas, which they can do whenever they want even though the progression won't nudge you there until the midpoint, they can be killed.

Hype would bring me thousands of people who will like the idea until they die, at which point it's because the other side OMGHAXXOR, as opposed to "zoned in at too low a skill point total without the protection of a guild."

So much for my AAA theory :/

Regardless, from what I've seen, it still looks like a big budget game (mostly because of the nice graphics and website).

But if you guys are intent on keeping a low profile, I'll play along...and shut up. :)

Originally posted by Charas

Originally posted by Sanya

No hype.

None.

It will kill my game.

So much for my AAA theory :/

Regardless, from what I've seen, it still looks like a big budget game (mostly because of the nice graphics and website).

But if you guys are intent on keeping a low profile, I'll play along...and shut up. :)

world of mouth works

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

AAA production.

3 faction PvP.

Territory control.

Open, seamless world.

Original lore.

Not a WoW clone.

It seems kind of unfair when you see other games like SWTOR completely monopolizing these forums for weeks at a time and Dominus pretty much being  ignored.

Personally I'm super hyped for this one, it has alot of features I've been waiting for in an MMO.

Well if you were honest with yourself you would realize that even after SWTOR has "failed" it will still have more subscribers than Dominus at it's peak. Then you would understand why SWTOR gets so much attention and this game gets none.

Plus SWTOR is already released and has had the most successful mmo launch (in terms of numbers) ever. Dominus on the other hand is still in the Alpha stages of development without a release date yet. The only thing I have heard as far as release dates is that December is some sort of financial deadline for them.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by maxiime223

I'd acutally be thrilled about this game if there wasn't a subscription fee.

I'm really llikeing this new attitude towards subscription games, the community is overall better in sub games, except WoW of course, so with all the hate towards subscriptions, it keeps most of the trash out right from the beggining.

Leaves much more room for the kind of gamer I would want to play with.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I would be more into this if it wasn't west coast servers, I just don't think it will play well with that ping from the UK

Originally posted by ShakyMo

I would be more into this if it wasn't west coast servers, I just don't think it will play well with that ping from the UK

I had no idea their server was on the west coast. I didn't notice any latency at all yesterday in the stress test and I live in France.

Hopefully though by the time they release (which is still pretty far off I would think) they'll have localized servers.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

I am trying to get myself excited about this game, really really hard.  I receive emails from "Sanya" about the game's testing thing.  Not sure if that is a NDA violation, if so, sorry.

But I keep seeing the screenshots and videos and I find myself being de-motivated to play or worse of all, not get involved with development.

It is supposed to be released this year, but everything I see screams 90's graphics.  Then I see games like The Old Republic, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, and those are the new and soon to be released games and they look absolutely fantastic.

I think the lack of hype is coming from the visuals being .... not as good as other games.  When I hopped on Tera the other day, the character models looked outstanding with their detail, and women were.. well let's just say it is obvious men created the models there. 

But the UI and gameplay for Tera was so horrible in my opinion, that I am glad I did not pay for the game.  It was worse than DAOC, and DAOC was frickin awesome... in 2002.  But things have evolved with the creation of video games and MMO industry.  Most notably is how Sanya changed how game companies are supposed to communicate to their communities.  Unfortunately, the trend has not caught on (TOR is notorious about keeping people in the dark).

I do wish the team of Pitchblack well and the best of luck, but it looks like an alpha and I don't think I will be into it, because of this.  : (

Originally posted by WolfClaws

I am trying to get myself excited about this game, really really hard.  I receive emails from "Sanya" about the game's testing thing.  Not sure if that is a NDA violation, if so, sorry.

But I keep seeing the screenshots and videos and I find myself being de-motivated to play or worse of all, not get involved with development.

It is supposed to be released this year, but everything I see screams 90's graphics.  Then I see games like The Old Republic, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, and those are the new and soon to be released games and they look absolutely fantastic.

I think the lack of hype is coming from the visuals being .... not as good as other games.  When I hopped on Tera the other day, the character models looked outstanding with their detail, and women were.. well let's just say it is obvious men created the models there. 

But the UI and gameplay for Tera was so horrible in my opinion, that I am glad I did not pay for the game.  It was worse than DAOC, and DAOC was frickin awesome... in 2002.  But things have evolved with the creation of video games and MMO industry.  Most notably is how Sanya changed how game companies are supposed to communicate to their communities.  Unfortunately, the trend has not caught on (TOR is notorious about keeping people in the dark).

I do wish the team of Pitchblack well and the best of luck, but it looks like an alpha and I don't think I will be into it, because of this.  : (

the art style and gfx are on par or better than swtor just not all polished yet and thew world design its light years ahead of most of swtor planets there human models need lots of work still tho.

and it wont be perfect at release but it pretty much is aand alpha stage but its closer to half beta and half alpha at thispoint since full scale beta testing hasnt started yet

Originally posted by ShakyMo

I had no idea their server was on the west coast. I didn't notice any latency at all yesterday in the stress test and I live in France.

Hopefully though by the time they release (which is still pretty far off I would think) they'll have localized servers.

no just west coast at first but they have the best bandwidth and server than can get for the game

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

AAA production.

3 faction PvP.

Territory control.

Open, seamless world.

Original lore.

Not a WoW clone.

My 2 biggest negatives are

A: its a Sci-Fi game

and

B: its a FPS in an MMO clothing

Both of those negatives outways any positives it may have no matter how strong they are.  If this game was a High Fantasy Sword and Sorcery MMO with an innovative combat system I would give it a shot in a heartbeat but being that those 2 negatives I listed are deal breakers "FOR ME" I have no desire to play.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

AAA production.

3 faction PvP.

Territory control.

Open, seamless world.

Original lore.

Not a WoW clone.

My 2 biggest negatives are

A: its a Sci-Fi game

and

B: its a FPS in an MMO clothing

Both of those negatives outways any positives it may have no matter how strong they are.  If this game was a High Fantasy Sword and Sorcery MMO with an innovative combat system I would give it a shot in a heartbeat but being that those 2 negatives I listed are deal breakers "FOR ME" I have no desire to play.

its not a fps ...

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    If I remember correctly there was a video where one of the devs said that they planned to promote the game around its release time... if thats true .. then that would explain why...

*spelling edit*