Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Being excited for games is not a crime

fonyfony Member Posts: 755

nice blog post here, really a great read.

http://www.keenandgraev.com/2012/02/25/being-excited-is-not-a-crime/

here's some interesting stuff from the blog:

I need to describe the differences between hyped and being excitement.

Hyping a game is intensively publicizing or promoting a game while trying to predict what features will be like without any way of backing up what you are saying.  Hype might be making unrealistic promises or exaggerations about features or qualities (and can be done so without realization on the hyper’s part).  If something is hyped it is crafted to sound good whether it is true or not.

Being excited about a game has a very honest feel to it.  When you’re excited you don’t try to hide flaws or exaggerate about a game. Excitement is value-driven and realistic.  Being excited about a game usually comes with a reason, and that reason can be shown.

I’m passionate about games and I want to be excited.  I want to have something to look forward to, and I will always choose being excited over being jaded.  I look forward to pleasure, not pain.  I want games to succeed if they deserve to, and not fail for no reason.  I am critical of developers and their games when I see the same mistakes being made, and I won’t hesitate to point that out.  I’m also not going to hesitate to change my mind if I feel that I am in error, or simply want to change my opinion.

I will not apologize to anyone for sharing, on my own website, what I feel at any given time.  That’s why I am writing, and that will not change.  I assume the majority of you visiting this site regularly do so because you find what we have to say interesting, entertaining, or useful.  If the day ever comes that I look at every future game as a negative before a positive, that’s when I will stop playing games and find another hobby.  What’s the point of doing something if you’re already planning ahead that you won’t enjoy it or plan to be unfeeling at all?  That’s a sad way to live.

good read.

Comments

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

It was a good read, mostly in terms of his recognizing there is a difference to hype vs. excitement.

Hype is most often akin to propagandizing.  That is, it is about selling a product to others.  Selling is not only something people do to earn cash, but often also includes those selling for non-material bonuses; such as increasing player size, increasing excitement in others so as to build up ones own excitement even further, it can be about drowning out doubts of others so none of those doubts bring you down from your own level of excitment.  It's almost always a selfish act -- not that all selfish acts are immoral.  Like acts such as self-preservation and even improving ones position in life it promises a positive benefit if successful.  One possibly for many;  But it can and will lead to disappointment when unjustified or perhaps more importantly to all when it takes away justfied excitement from another product that could have provided even more excitement if it's thunder hadn't been 'hyped' away into the successfully hyped, but in-the-end non-exciting product that turns out to be a loser.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

There is a very fine line between excitement and hype. Many cross that line without even realizing it. When excitement for a game starts to cloud your overall judgement of said game it becomes hype. Too many fanboys (and girls) see themselves as only excited when they are spouting all kinds of unsubstantiated rumors and speculation as if it was fact. They are in fact hyped but don't see themselves as such.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Unless you're supporting a company that is the absolute opposite of freedom.

I am sure you had a thought in mind when you posted about "absolute opposite of freedom", but I am missing the seque.  Who mentioned anything about 'freedom'?

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by fony
    nice blog post here, really a great read.

http://www.keenandgraev.com/2012/02/25/being-excited-is-not-a-crime/

here's some interesting stuff from the blog:
      I need to describe the differences between hyped and being excitement.   Hyping a game is intensively publicizing or promoting a game while trying to predict what features will be like without any way of backing up what you are saying.  Hype might be making unrealistic promises or exaggerations about features or qualities (and can be done so without realization on the hyper’s part).  If something is hyped it is crafted to sound good whether it is true or not.   Being excited about a game has a very honest feel to it.  When you’re excited you don’t try to hide flaws or exaggerate about a game. Excitement is value-driven and realistic.  Being excited about a game usually comes with a reason, and that reason can be shown.   I’m passionate about games and I want to be excited.  I want to have something to look forward to, and I will always choose being excited over being jaded.  I look forward to pleasure, not pain.  I want games to succeed if they deserve to, and not fail for no reason.  I am critical of developers and their games when I see the same mistakes being made, and I won’t hesitate to point that out.  I’m also not going to hesitate to change my mind if I feel that I am in error, or simply want to change my opinion.   I will not apologize to anyone for sharing, on my own website, what I feel at any given time.  That’s why I am writing, and that will not change.  I assume the majority of you visiting this site regularly do so because you find what we have to say interesting, entertaining, or useful.  If the day ever comes that I look at every future game as a negative before a positive, that’s when I will stop playing games and find another hobby.  What’s the point of doing something if you’re already planning ahead that you won’t enjoy it or plan to be unfeeling at all?  That’s a sad way to live.

good read.

Its good having a open mind and some love having pain:D

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Rather then me writing acustomized version for your post, please refer to my last post and try to imagine what I might have typed here.  Thank you.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Being excited for a game isn't a crime. But too many people get stuck in the trap of getting overexcited, which just sets them up for inevitable failure when a game fails to meet their over-inflated expectations.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    It's the jumping on people who disagree, calling them dumb, blind and haters for often having very measured reasoned views about a particular game. It's the ignoring of emperical evidence and responding with blind anger or faith "they will patch it" etc, it's the sheer sense of self righteousness.

Other than that, excitement is good, just keep a sense of perspective, you haven't even played it so you cannot be sure, remember TOR, It did not revolutionise the genre.
  • fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Originally posted by RefMinor

It's the jumping on people who disagree, calling them dumb, blind and haters for often having very measured reasoned views about a particular game. It's the ignoring of emperical evidence and responding with blind anger or faith "they will patch it" etc, it's the sheer sense of self righteousness.

Other than that, excitement is good, just keep a sense of perspective, you haven't even played it so you cannot be sure, remember TOR, It did not revolutionise the genre.

yep. good thing for me i have played the game i am excited for.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, depends. If all you've done is play a beta version of an upcoming title than you really haven't played the final game and still could be set up for disappointment.

Happened to a lot of SWTOR folks.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, depends. If all you've done is play a beta version of an upcoming title than you really haven't played the final game and still could be set up for disappointment.

Happened to a lot of SWTOR folks.

i beta tested that game, all that happened was a lot of folks lied to themselves and refused to admit being fools later. the people who weren't turned off are either new to the genre, totally self convinced sw/bioware fans or were weekend testers. there's proof in the first post that much of the hype was baseless or not representative of the product.

all i'm expecting out of the game i want is good pvp, hard dungeons and a fun and involving game world. i have already experienced two of those first hand.

That would be, an admittedly mild case, of faith and self rightious defensiveness.

Beta testing is never the released game and certainly not the equivalent of playing a good chunk of the final release, I am of course assuming you refer to the beta of GW2.

Beta of another game i played(but didn't buy) was the released game and then some. more cutomization, better graphics, ran better and all else was the same.

just saying.

Beta of another game i played(but didn't buy) was the released game and then some. more cutomization, better graphics, ran better and all else was the same.

just saying.

Then that's perfectly cool and reasonable, I am glad you are enjoying it
  • ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

Hyping a game isn't a crime. Giving false information saying a game will be the next big thing when developers clearly know its the next worst thing should be a crime!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

If players who are hyped/excited about a game, were to sign some sort of "addendum to Hype" along the lines of what they will do if the game fails to live up to expectation. It'd be a useful: STAMP: "HYP Positive" test for later on. image

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Definitely agree with this blog and the dicerning between "excitement" for a game and "hyping" a game. I and a lot of other people on this site are definitely excited for Guild Wars 2 and that excitement stems purely from the facts we know about the game (entirely via gameplay at this point), yet it is dismissed as hype. Doesn't matter how many people share their gameplay experiences with the rest of us, or how much gameplay footage we provide to any naysayers, it is all just hype in the end with some people.

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

Like he wrote, Warhammer online. The ultimate dissapointment and Paul Barnett hyped this game to the roof. And it was horrible. Since then I have had zero expectations to new games and rightfully so. It has all been downhill. Just look at the vast amount of MMO garbage that floats everywhere on the internet.

He is right in "being excited for games is not a crime".. But you will just cheat yourself if you can't face the truth.. The incoming game will most likely be horrible that is also why I have no expectations for GW2. Imo it's just gonna be another MMO in the bunch.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Its hard to get excited when you're fed the same slop over and over again for half a decade.
  • ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

Its hard to get excited when you're fed the same slop over and over again for half a decade.

And when the fundamentals are drastically changed the 'i hate everything' crowd still hate it.

So it just goes to show: 'hater's gonna hate'

Originally posted by ComfyChair

And when the fundamentals are drastically changed the 'i hate everything' crowd still hate it.

poor guys.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Just curious, what title's do you consider in the category of fundamentally different and have any of them even reached an open beta status yet?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

poor guys.

Have any of you guys seen the South Park espide "You're Getting Old" ? 

Thought it reflected alot of the gamers on this message board, and their chagrin over the same generic crap that's been coming out of the industry, again and again. Here's a clip from that episode that sums it up rather well:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/388737/rated-arg-for-pirates (warning: language)

To put it bluntly, alot of you guys have outgrown games faster than games could innovate and keep up with you.  Do recommend people watch those south park episodes (it's a two episode arc), the humor is crude but it bears so much truth. 

doesn't apply. i'm not begging for innovation(haha gw2 strawman argument fail!?), i am simply saying it's not bad to be excited for a game with good reason.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

doesn't apply. i'm not begging for innovation(haha gw2 strawman argument fail!?), i am simply saying it's not bad to be excited for a game with good reason.

I think that's a good way of looking at things, however what 'with good reason' is will differ from one person to the next. I think the problem you'll often see is that if a person isn't excited about a game, they often times think that this non-excitement should apply to other gamers as well, and that it's wrong for them to be excited for reasons they themselves can't be excited for.