Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WvW Home Server Account Lock

Comments

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Kyuz0o

Lol sure, and if transfer is free they won`t go there?

I think only a certain type of people will go to a successfull WvWvW server, and I doubt that there are enough people like that to really hurt the population of a server.

Really?  There are a LOT of people who will use/abuse any system they can just to get an advantage.  Look at the entire guilds in WOW who server transferred to get an extra raid lockout.  Since there is no sub fee - I can see more than a few people justifying the additional 'transfer' expense quite easily.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Eliandal

Originally posted by Kyuz0o

Lol sure, and if transfer is free they won`t go there?

I think only a certain type of people will go to a successfull WvWvW server, and I doubt that there are enough people like that to really hurt the population of a server.

Really?  There are a LOT of people who will use/abuse any system they can just to get an advantage.  Look at the entire guilds in WOW who server transferred to get an extra raid lockout.  Since there is no sub fee - I can see more than a few people justifying the additional 'transfer' expense quite easily.

Most educated players aren't going to switch servers willy nilly chasing the best servers for WvW. The fee discourages uneducated players from making the server change on a whim and forces educated players to really be certain of their decision to switch and their choice of destination before doing so.

The way the new server match ups are determined every two weeks negates the idea of chasing servers looking for consistantly high WvW derived realm bonuses. Since your server is always matched vs. servers with similar WvW prowess, you can dominate one week and not do so good against better opponents the next. If there were just a dozen servers, then there might be the risk of a server becoming top dog vs. all challengers, but I fully anticipate 500K to 2 Million box sales in the opening months and probably well over 100 servers. 100+ servers should make it very, very unlikely that any single server would become completely dominat vs. all others.

I can imagine certain heavily PVP centric players and guilds seeking to congregate on a small handful of servers in the hopes of frequently facing off against each other. Those people may find it worthwhile paying for a swtich, assuming they didn't properly research a destination server before starting the game, but most would be unlikely to switch again once they've found a server with a high concentration of like minded players, due to the fee,mif not server/guild pride.

I do hope Arenanet offers a brief window after launch where the Home server can be changed once for free, (maybe a week or two tops). This would eliminate a lot of the launch related issues of finding the right server to play on, but still occur early enough that no server would have proven long term WvW success potential worth chasing after.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

I love it, its a perfect solution to the PvP concerns.

Once again Anet is proving to be innovative and taking care of thier players.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

If it's real money, it's a pretty bad decision. Paying RL money for advantages is done pretty often. Either there is a system in place that prevents you from switching servers constantly and joining the best server or there is not. No fee discourages people from getting what they want.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Adalwulff

^ pretty much

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

I would be pretty dumb if  everyone was able to freely switch to one server because it  has the best WvW team.  Look at AION in its early days for instance; if you wanted to play Elyos you would be looking for the server where the Elyos were dominating the Abyss and vice versa for Asmodian. 

Im just saying WvW would not be competitive if all the "good" players had the same home server just because they were able to switch at will. 

Honestly OP, for a game that is buy once and play forever, a small fee couldnt hurt you. There are other MMOs out there that charge you a server switch fee plus a monthly fee.

-I am here to perform logic

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

Originally posted by Thomson1

Originally posted by Adalwulff

QFT, i can't see how people can complain about Anet's decissions here.

First off it lets you play the PVE content on every server you like for free and then it prevents

WvW server change abuse.

And if you really want to change the server you play WvW for you still can change.

I mean what other games let you "visit" other servers?

What other game forces you to play on a server unless you pay a fee to switch?

I don't think anyone is arguing that changing WvW server should be completely cost/cooldown free it makes sense, but if there isn't a grace period , a limited amount of free switches per account or a free switch with a very long cooldown or something along these lines then it's just simply flawed.

The free switch could even have a 1 month (two battles) period without buffs instead of the 2 week that is planned for the bought one.

The point is locking people to one server forever unless they pay is simply bad. Not brilliant, from what I've seen Anet will most likely have at least a decent way to go about this other then forcing people to fork out 10 bucks to change server at all.

• nomad3dnomad3d Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Quenchster

By "fee" I hope they meant an in-game currency or an in-game alternative to real cash if that is where this is leading to. I'm fine with paying with real cash, because home server transfering will be uncommon for me, but it feels strange that this is directed towards WvW PvPers.

Yeah.. No, they're referring to real cash money. And personally, I think this model is good. I can't stand people that flip-flop just to be on the winning side. Why not work to make your side the winning side instead of jumping the the server that people have worked to make good. 

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

By "fee" I hope they meant an in-game currency or an in-game alternative to real cash if that is where this is leading to. I'm fine with paying with real cash, because home server transfering will be uncommon for me, but it feels strange that this is directed towards WvW PvPers.

Please, stop being a cheapskate. You're already getting an amazing set of awesomness with the box, just pay the damn fee.

This is not a game.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Originally posted by nomad3d

Yeah.. No, they're referring to real cash money. And personally, I think this model is good. I can't stand people that flip-flop just to be on the winning side. Why not work to make your side the winning side instead of jumping the the server that people have worked to make good. 

That's not true. The recent WvW AMA on Reddit revealed they still have not decided whether it will be real cash or in-game gold.

Personally, I would rather it be real cash in order to be truly effective at preventing WvW world hoppers.

• nomad3dnomad3d Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by fundayz

That's not true. The recent WvW AMA on Reddit revealed they still have not decided whether it will be real cash or in-game gold.

Personally, I would rather it be real cash in order to be truly effective at preventing WvW world hoppers.

Ah. My bad. I just assumed that server transfers would be cash. It should be cash. Then it would be more of a detterant to ship-jumpers than in-game gold.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Originally posted by fundayz

Don't forget the grace period for new accounts that they are discussing, which would help me try and assemble my 2 groups of friends who:

• Each do their own things. One PvEs and one PvPs.

• Don't have any contact with eachother other than me inbetween them.

• Contact with much of the PvE group requires me and them to be on ventrilo or me to talk with my IRL friend of the group.

• Have and will join seperate servers on the first day, leaving me with having to choose between them. Once they get rooted into the server they won't leave.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Hey guys, I found a source of a dev that mentioned something about this topic. It is what sidhaethe mentioned earlier about that grace period thing on page 2. It also mentions that they are discussing if they should make it currency other than real life money. Just going to link it for reference.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/q45rm/iama_guild_wars_2_game_designer_ama_about_world/c3ukiw4

Question: "This "home server transfer" fee - is it ingame currency or real world money?"

Answer: "We haven't finalized our plans for what that fee will be, if there will be any 'amnesty' period for new accounts, or what currency that fee will require, but I can assure you that we are examining and discussing all possible options and as soon as we have a firm plan in place we'll let you know more!"

Thanks for the link. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

You can jump from one server to the next whenever you want.  You just don't get the WvW bonuses for the other server.  It's kind of like how when it used to be that one region would have the favor of the gods, you couldn't bounce back and forth between Europe and the US whenever you wanted.

• SeafortSeafort Member UncommonPosts: 27

All P2P MMOs charge a fee to move your characters from one server to another.

GW2 is account based tho so all your characters are bound to one account just like in GW1. They arent charging you to switch to a different server if you just wanna PvE with your already created character but it wouldnt be fair to play in WvW with that same character as that is open to abuse.

I'm glad that ANet is binding accounts and making it difficult to switch from day to day to a different server.

I'm the opposite of you OP. I wouldn't play GW2 if they didn't bind accounts to one server and make people pay a nominal fee to switch servers.

I want a fair RvR competition among servers not wondering if there are spies on my server from one of the servers I'm battling against because they could switch without a fee.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

I don't see the point of screaming the sky is falling... All they've stated is that to change your home server (the server you are tied to for WvW) you will most likely have to pay something. They have not stated anything else, other than stating they don't know anything else at this time. They are still deciding on:

1) In-game or real cash or both

2) Grace period

3) Possible free transfer once per x amount of time.

We don't have any other details yet, other than they will charge for WvW home server transfer.

We DO know that if you are on server x (that's your home server)and you want to play PvE on server y, you are free to do that. As far as we can tell, you just won't be able to participate in WvW on server y. You will only be able to play WvW for server x. As a result, any benefits server x gets through WvW will still apply to you even if you are on server y, z, q, m, or any other server. However, benefits on server y, z, or whatever server you are playing on currently will not apply to you.

Remember, home server is only for WvW. You must pay (again details still being finalized) to change who you can play for for WvW.

TBH, regardless of their decision concerning how you pay for it, this does sound like a fair solution. Ideally, I would prefer them to let at least one free transfer like every 6 months or so. However, as there is no monthly fee, and I can never seem to justify to myself the need to spend money to change a server in any game, I don't mind it costing RL money. Just think about it really quickly. In any game you play, how often do you really change servers? Once, maybe twice over the course of the game? If you can't afford the cost of the server transfer once or twice over your lifetime of the game, then you've got some issues. If however, you like to transfer servers all the time, well then more power to you. Looks like you will just have to pay money just like in any other game.

FYI since you can actually research new servers by actually going there with your already leveled characters, you can ASK people how that server does in WvW. Yes, I know, talking to people in an MMO is really annoying, but it's a simple solution to what appears to be a concern to people. Again, you can actually GO to server y and research it before you decide to change your home server to server y. Question people on that server, judge the community, ask about WvW, events, guilds, etc. You know, that thing I mentioned before that's really annoying, talking to people.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

I'd say a grace period is absolutely necessary... I've got bunches of people from my old guilds who will want to play together but will probably create test characters on the first server they see. Imagine their dismay when they realize that they are now "server locked."

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by Quizzical

You can jump from one server to the next whenever you want.  You just don't get the WvW bonuses for the other server.  It's kind of like how when it used to be that one region would have the favor of the gods, you couldn't bounce back and forth between Europe and the US whenever you wanted.

I was actually thinking that too. The system they are considering reminded me of exactly that. I think you got a maximum of like four transfers per quarter or semi-annually (I don't remember exactly). You were free to transfer servers as many times as you wanted, as long as you have transfers left.

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

Presumably you can also delete your chars and pick a new world, for times such as new players joining friends, seems a bit mean to extort a fee on a new account just because of bad/mis communication.

Otherwise, as long as it's not obscene, with no monthly fee an IRL cost here and there is no biggie.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by wartyxwt
    Presumably you can also delete your chars and pick a new world, for times such as new players joining friends, seems a bit mean to extort a fee on a new account just because of bad/mis communication.

Otherwise, as long as it's not obscene, with no monthly fee an IRL cost here and there is no biggie.

Hell, Blizzard charges $25 per character to transfer servers, with no grace period at all, on top of their monthly fee. I think charging for something like this with no monthly fee isn't bad at all.

Originally posted by jpnz
    I can kinda see ANet's logic but if the 'payment' is actual RL money, I can see that being not well received by the gaming public.
    I really hope they stick to their 'B2P' model.

Um, this is the buy to play model. Don't charge a monthly fee for "maintenance," but charge for actual services. I don't understand why people fail to understand the logic behind this. and letting people "visit" other servers in PvE is something no other game has ever done, to my knowledge.

Originally posted by dlld

Um, every game that I can think of that allows server transfers charges per character, with no free transfers at all, and they all have monthly fees as well. Blizzard charges $25 per character for server transfers in WoW.

In what way is this worse, people? Seriously.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

To the Op: seems most actually like the idea. Think most are happy Anet is thinking ahead of time on what could cause serious issues before a problem even arise to the forefront.

BOOYAKA!

• mugengaiamugengaia Member Posts: 347

Looks like the perfect solution from Anet to me. 

I think the people whinning about the fees to create another character in another server are basically carebears, and ones who obviously enjoy switching bandwagons. 

This is great and all for those people with lack of determination and easily unmotivated without incentive, but Anet's strategy helps to maintain some balance in the game.

If we had stupid trolls switch servers all the time by rerolling on different servers based on performance, that is exactly what would create an imbalance.

And preventing all means to switch servers would be an abuse of power or seen as a design flaw from Anet's side, so they are basically telling all the trolls and carebears, "if you want to change worlds, you pay an extra price for that luxury, which was not originally intended for the game."

Furthermore, to prevent the increase of these trolls and carebears ruining the game's balance, Anet matches up similarly performing servers against one another, and prohibits incentive on idiots who would most likely abuse re-rolling on winning servers, before the end of each 2 weeks.

I really like this approach from Anet.  They are basically telling all you whinning carebears and trolls to commit to one server, and if you don't like it, then pay an extra fee for a luxury you trolls and carebears would otherwise abuse were it free.

Anet is also telling each of you trolls and carebears that they would rather not have to deal with imbalance issues by allowing each of you retards, each worth a measly $49.99, ruin the balance of WvWvW, and as a result potentially lose millions of customers.

My God, Anet is brilliant.  I love it!

GRIND sucks? You wanna be max level in a month?
    Since when did society award easy-goers and lazy-fools?
    MAKES ME PHOBIC OF STUPIDITY!

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by mugengaia

Looks like the perfect solution from Anet to me. 

I think the people whinning about the fees to create another character in another server are basically carebears, and ones who obviously enjoy switching bandwagons. 

This is great and all for those people with lack of determination and easily unmotivated without incentive, but Anet's strategy helps to maintain some balance in the game.

If we had stupid trolls switch servers all the time by rerolling on different servers based on performance, that is exactly what would create an imbalance.

And preventing all means to switch servers would be an abuse of power or seen as a design flaw from Anet's side, so they are basically telling all the trolls and carebears, "if you want to change worlds, you pay an extra price for that luxury, which was not originally intended for the game."

Furthermore, to prevent the increase of these trolls and carebears ruining the game's balance, Anet matches up similarly performing servers against one another, and prohibits incentive on idiots who would most likely abuse re-rolling on winning servers, before the end of each 2 weeks.

I really like this approach from Anet.  They are basically telling all you whinning carebears and trolls to commit to one server, and if you don't like it, then pay an extra fee for a luxury you trolls and carebears would otherwise abuse were it free.

Anet is also telling each of you trolls and carebears that they would rather not have to deal with imbalance issues by allowing each of you retards, each worth a measly $49.99, ruin the balance of WvWvW, and as a result potentially lose millions of customers.

My God, Anet is brilliant.  I love it!

My thoughts exactly.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Leodious

Originally posted by wartyxwt

Hell, Blizzard charges $25 per character to transfer servers, with no grace period at all, on top of their monthly fee. I think charging for something like this with no monthly fee isn't bad at all.

Originally posted by jpnz

I can kinda see ANet's logic but if the 'payment' is actual RL money, I can see that being not well received by the gaming public.

I really hope they stick to their 'B2P' model.

Um, this is the buy to play model. Don't charge a monthly fee for "maintenance," but charge for actual services. I don't understand why people fail to understand the logic behind this. and letting people "visit" other servers in PvE is something no other game has ever done, to my knowledge.

Originally posted by dlld

Um, every game that I can think of that allows server transfers charges per character, with no free transfers at all, and they all have monthly fees as well. Blizzard charges $25 per character for server transfers in WoW.

In what way is this worse, people? Seriously.

I can understand why they chose to bind an account to a server and make you pay to transfer, beside the money making part, so people don't spy on other servers they are matched against at a certain time. However you can't compare it to another MMO that charges you to move a char, because in those you always have the option of starting from lvl 1 again on a different server, without paying. Here you can't do this without paying.