Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WvW Home Server Account Lock

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

According to the devs, they haven't decided yet if there will be a grace period of allowing people to move for a short time after launch.

I really hope this is the case, especially for launch.  Not everyone will be organized and there will be lack of communication with friends and family too.  I'm hoping A-Net has a warning telling players we can't swtich servers.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by HoiPoloi

It appears as though GW2 accounts will be locked into one "home server" for WvW.  

That is, all characters for one account are limited to their original server for WvW.  You cannot reroll on another server to WvW for them.  If you want to switch servers, you must pay to move your entire account. 

From the official blog:

Some of our more astute fans asked about the complications involved with switching servers and how it would interact with world bonuses. Every account has a home server where your characters are created. You can only fight for your home world in WvW. You can visit other servers, and while you are visiting, you still get the world bonus from your home world instead of the bonus for the world you are visiting. If you switch your home server, you lose the bonus from your previous home world and are not eligible for the bonus for your new server at least until the beginning of the next battle for the Mists. We may extend this disqualification into the next match or possibly even longer to discourage people from switching servers right before a battle ends in order to get an awesome bonus. You will have to pay a fee to change your home server (price undetermined), and that will also discourage people from server hopping to chase world bonuses.

This is making me reconsider buying GW2. A good community is my bottom line for playing any game, more important than winning or losing. Not being able to reroll to find a good server is a serious flaw.

Be interested to know what your real account is, You create an account to bash on a mute point.  Anet have made their case for this and a very valid one, unlike other MMO's that dont need to charge, and are already taking your money every month for what?

I'm not going to explain it to you any further, plenty of people done that already and you still dont get it.  If you want a good community then join one of the many guilds that suits your play style, there are plenty of them around looking for members, you can get to make new friends and get to know them before playing GW2 while your at it.  There are plenty of guilds recruiting and have over 100 members and are also allianced with other guilds, If you want to be on a server with friends then pre-arrange your server choices with them first.  Again no excuses for anyone to not be on a server without people to play with.  If you are on a server thats always losing then you got something to fight for, take the lead and make it a winning server.

You also got to remember youre not playing against another faction on your server and that everyone on your server is on the same team (unless you play constructed team pvp) so I dont see there being much imbalance compared to faction type pvp as seen in SWtoR, WoW and Warhammer.

• BarkamBarkam Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Barkam

Snip

That's exactly what I said.  You transfer your past (leveled) characters when you pay to move your account.   At that point, you can also create new (future) characters.

What you cannot do is reroll on a new server without paying to move your account to that server first.

Then I don't understand the problem.  You already have access to other server's PvE by visiting them for free without having to start all over.  You should be rejoicing.  Unless you want to grief and start spying on other servers for WvW then you are obviously in the wrong here.  Anet is handling the issue of spying appropriately.

How can someone be in the wrong with wanting to play with friends on a different server?  This is a basic reason for playing an MMO.

If spying is a problem, then a cooldown or quarantine is a better solution than making rerolls available only through $$.

As for GW2's PvE, it will be fun.  But Dynamic Events aside, WvW is the real innovation.  It is why I and many others are buying the game.

I'll assume that your intentions are genuine.  I can't make the same assumption for the rest of the player base.  I suggest you find your friends and start in the same server from the get go.  That's what I am doing.  I suppose if Anet instituted a 1 month quarantine from WvW then you should be fine with that if you really don't want to pay the fee.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

You guys are dreaming if you think the cost to switch servers could be done with ingame currency. What game do you know of let's you switch your server with gold earned ingame? Just one example will do.

What game do you know of that lets you switch servers to PvE with other people without paying a fee or having to wait to transfer back? Or that has 3-way server vs. server warfare that grants server-wide bonuses and matchmakes based on performance on a biweekly cycle? :)

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Snip

That's exactly what I said.  You transfer your past (leveled) characters when you pay to move your account.   At that point, you can also create new (future) characters.

What you cannot do is reroll on a new server without paying to move your account to that server first.

Then I don't understand the problem.  You already have access to other server's PvE by visiting them for free without having to start all over.  You should be rejoicing.  Unless you want to grief and start spying on other servers for WvW then you are obviously in the wrong here.  Anet is handling the issue of spying appropriately.

How can someone be in the wrong with wanting to play with friends on a different server?  This is a basic reason for playing an MMO.

If spying is a problem, then a cooldown or quarantine is a better solution than making rerolls available only through $$.

As for GW2's PvE, it will be fun.  But Dynamic Events aside, WvW is the real innovation.  It is why I and many others are buying the game.

Then you and your guild should be coordinating on what server your going to play on in the first place. I'd be surprised if this were a genuine issue for any real person with a real guild who planned on making WvWvW their main reason for playing GW2.

And, third time now, we don't know the details on how this will be handled, so my suggestion is that in addition to actually planning on what server you and your guild are going to play (which should be a no-brainer), wait until we actually find out

a) how much it's going to cost

b) currency

c) whether there's a grace period

Obviously, by the AMA response, these matters have not been finalized, so getting upset about them is premature.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

You guys are dreaming if you think the cost to switch servers could be done with ingame currency. What game do you know of let's you switch your server with gold earned ingame? Just one example will do.

This isn't something that bothers me for exactly the reason they said. The game's PvP is mainly centered on server pride, you need to fight for your server, for better or worse. You don't get to jump ship just because the other guy did better one week, you work together to figure out how to do better the next time around. The only reason I'd even consider switching servers would be that I found mine filled with douche bags. Then we'll talk. But if they just suck at PvP, so what. That can be fixed with time and practice.

Runescape lets players change between servers for free and instantly last I recall, but last time I played that was about 9 years ago. Free server changing will be in GW2 from my understanding. The home server change fee is actually more of a team change fee. Server loyalty will actually be more of team loyalty, because it sounds like we aren't required to play on our home server for any benefits.

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

Im predicting that lots of noobs will chose the wrong server and then will QQ on the forums cause they cant play WvW with their friends

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

Originally posted by sidhaethe

Snip

Then you and your guild should be coordinating on what server your going to play on in the first place. I'd be surprised if this were a genuine issue for any real person with a real guild who planned on making WvWvW their main reason for playing GW2.

And, third time now, we don't know the details on how this will be handled, so my suggestion is that in addition to actually planning on what server you and your guild are going to play (which should be a no-brainer), wait until we actually find out

b) currency

Obviously, by the AMA response, these matters have not been finalized, so getting upset about them is premature.

I'm sure everyone will coordinate for launch day.

But what happens 3 months down the line if your friends leave for other games, your guild falls apart etc.?  And your friends from work or school, or your new guild, are playing on a different server?  You pay $$ to join them, even if you are rerolling from scratch.

Most people who play an MMO for any length of time usually end up with multiple characters on different servers.  To artificially limit this in WvW, one of GW2's major selling points, will disappoint players' expectations. 

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Snip

b) currency

But what happens 3 months down the line if your friends leave for other games, your guild falls apart etc.?  And your friends from work or school, or your new guild, are playing on a different server?  You pay $$ to join them, even if you are rerolling from scratch.

Most people who play an MMO for any length of time usually end up with multiple characters on different servers.  To artificially limit this in WvW, one of GW2's major selling points, will disappoint players' expectations. 

Why dont you just not bother playing GW2, making an account to argue against every valid point brought up.  Anet have made their point, you either accept it or dont, your not paying a sub.

Be a man and tell everyone your main account.  You abviously made a new account yesterday to make a hate and bait thread.

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

every WoW subscriber is disapointed for paying a monthly fee and still has to pay for server transfers, and not an account transfer but single character transfers

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Snip

b) currency

Why dont you just not bother playing GW2, making an account to argue against every valid point brought up.  Anet have made their point, you either accept it or dont, your not paying a sub.

Be a man and tell everyone your main account.  You abviously made a new account yesterday to make a hate and bait thread.

I'm certainly not trolling.  I've been excited for WvW in GW2 for a long time.  I made this account to raise these issues in the hope ArenaNet would address them (they have no official forums).   In the official blog post I quoted, they said some details are still to be decided.  I hope they are decided in the direction of openness.

And I can only say after playing MMO's for many years, the ability to control who I play with has become the #1 consideration when starting a game.  It looks like GW2 will limit this choice.  My hope is they change this come pre-order time so I can give my $$ to ArenaNet.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• lenyboblenybob Member Posts: 62

It appears as though GW2 accounts will be locked into one "home server" for WvW.  

That is, all characters for one account are limited to their original server for WvW.  You cannot reroll on another server to WvW for them.  If you want to switch servers, you must pay to move your entire account. 

From the official blog:

Some of our more astute fans asked about the complications involved with switching servers and how it would interact with world bonuses. Every account has a home server where your characters are created. You can only fight for your home world in WvW. You can visit other servers, and while you are visiting, you still get the world bonus from your home world instead of the bonus for the world you are visiting. If you switch your home server, you lose the bonus from your previous home world and are not eligible for the bonus for your new server at least until the beginning of the next battle for the Mists. We may extend this disqualification into the next match or possibly even longer to discourage people from switching servers right before a battle ends in order to get an awesome bonus. You will have to pay a fee to change your home server (price undetermined), and that will also discourage people from server hopping to chase world bonuses.

This is making me reconsider buying GW2. A good community is my bottom line for playing any game, more important than winning or losing. Not being able to reroll to find a good server is a serious flaw.

i got something completely different from that than you OP

you can make characters on any server. but the first server you make a character on, that becomes your home serverthat means any WvW buffs granted to characters, are not granted on that server but to the accounts with that Home server. even while playing an alt on another server

so say the worlds are A, B, and C.

if you make your first character on A. and make an alt on B and/or C

then the character buffs you will recieve on B or C are still dependant on A winning the W V W V W.

the one part which i don't understand, but i wasn't part of the beta yet, was how they consider fast switching characters to be functional.

the three worlds/servers are europe, US, and asia right?

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    Originally posted by 1carcarah1

Im predicting that lots of noobs will chose the wrong server and then will QQ on the forums cause they cant play WvW with their friends

Sounds about right. I would be pissed if they didn't set an cash amount on server transfer, otherwise people would bunnyhopp like never before
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Snip

b) currency

I'm certainly not trolling.  I've been excited for WvW in GW2 for a long time.  I made this account to raise these issues in the hope ArenaNet would address them (they have no official forums).   In the official blog post I quoted, they said some details are still to be decided.  I hope they are decided in the direction of openness.

And I can only say after playing MMO's for many years, the ability to control who I play with has become the #1 consideration when starting a game.  It looks like GW2 will limit this choice.  My hope is they change this come pre-order time so I can give my $$ to ArenaNet.

This needs to be in place to further discourage people from constantly shopping around for the server they think is the strongest in WvW and for the bonuses.

That said, it's very possible they may decide to have a grace period on home server transfer fees for the first week or two, so people can be sure to hook up with their friends and guildmates on the same server.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

There'll very likely be an in-game money option. But it'll be restrictive (read: expensive).

Server balance is more important that a few disorganised friends not picking the right servers and having to earn money to swap for WvW.

Also, as for 'meeting someone a few months down the line'.

LOL!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!

Now, you're wondering at such an exclamation right now aren't you? It's actually pretty simple. How often have you started a completely new character just because you met someone who plays the same MMO on a different server? Assuming both you and them are high level and pretty set up in your servers. I'm betting it's zero. Do you honestly say people who're doing end game seriously start over again to play with a guy they only just met in another game?

If you want to play together in WvW, either be organised or take the in game currency or real world money punishment on the chin.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

I made this account to raise these issues in the hope ArenaNet would address them (they have no official forums).

That's a pretty cheap argument.  Almost everyone following GW2 knows that the guru forums are the ones where anet actively posts - if you wanted to reach the devs, then that is where you should really be posting.

Anet could have their eyes on these forums, but whichever staffer is assigned to watch MMORPG.com must be popping pills left and right to get rid of all the headaches they've suffered just looking at posts here.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Originally posted by Khaeros

I made this account to raise these issues in the hope ArenaNet would address them (they have no official forums).

That's a pretty cheap argument.  Almost everyone following GW2 knows that the guru forums are the ones where anet actively posts - if you wanted to reach the devs, then that is where you should really be posting.

Anet could have their eyes on these forums, but whichever staffer is assigned to watch MMORPG.com must be popping pills left and right to get rid of all the headaches they've suffered just looking at posts here.

They don't pay attention to these forums, they're nowhere near big enough and too prone to trolling.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

From the official blog:

Reading comprehension FTL....

Seriously.

They are making it easy as pie to switch servers. There are 2 modes:

1) You can visit another server.

2) You can re-home to a new server.

In case #1 you keep the bonuses from your home server, not the new server, and are only there for a while. Your contribution to their fight does not provide you with any permanent bonuses.

Advantages: Gives you a chance to try out a new server before making the permanent move.

Disadvantages: If they have better bonuses than your server does, you don't get them.

In case #2 you move to the new server entirely. You do not get any bonuses from the new server for a fixed period of time so that people aren't always hopping to whichever server just got the best bonuses.

Advantages: Permanent habitation on the new server. After probationary period ends you get server bonuses from the new server.

Disadvantages: Unspecified period of time with no boons from PVP/server-wide events.

There is nothing preventing you from re-rolling. There is nothing preventing you from re-homing your character, and the fact that you can VISIT ANOTHER SERVER BEFORE MOVING is awesome!!!!! No more "I just switched servers and it is just as bad" scenarios.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Hey guys, I found a source of a dev that mentioned something about this topic. It is what sidhaethe mentioned earlier about that grace period thing on page 2. It also mentions that they are discussing if they should make it currency other than real life money. Just going to link it for reference.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/q45rm/iama_guild_wars_2_game_designer_ama_about_world/c3ukiw4

Question: "This "home server transfer" fee - is it ingame currency or real world money?"

Answer: "We haven't finalized our plans for what that fee will be, if there will be any 'amnesty' period for new accounts, or what currency that fee will require, but I can assure you that we are examining and discussing all possible options and as soon as we have a firm plan in place we'll let you know more!"

• pratikrath86pratikrath86 Member Posts: 79

Firstly we are gettin the whole reasoning behind W v W server Account lock completely wrong.

1. I cannot play with freinds syndrome: Not true. You are just locked to a server for W v W, and you are free to PvE in any server you choose to with no fee at all. My freinds for some unknown reason joined a diff server from mine at the begining without lettin me know (i would doubt they want to play with you to begin with *hint *hint *nudge *nudge) then i can always change server With no charge and play the whole PVE content with them, wether they like it or not. Also if for some reason now you are adamant and want to also W V W with them, you can do this, because you didnt plan it ahead pay a fee and join them. You have to pay just once, and it should be fine since it has no monthly fee.

2. My server always will get beat: ANet have introduced 2 system to break this. first its 3 servers so if one server is overpowered there are 2 other who can together beat the better server or if two are good then they will have to kill each other out while you can sneak to lead in between if played smartly. (Well game theory for 3 way battles). Secondly ANet understands that some servers will lack even this little bit of coordination, which is highly probable, so we rank servers every 2 weeks so similarly coordinated teams get matched against each other. So pro's go against pro's and not so well coordinated (or for a lack of better word, noob servers) go against other similar PVP credential servers. Now next fortnight you have a better chance. Still eventually you figure out after months that your server completely lacks any interest in W V W and you are stuck with them ? No you are not, this is when the $$ saves the day and you switch to a server where you think W V W is appreciated and join them. But your freinds are in your old server, either they move with you or you can continue to PVE with them this is at no cost.

3. THE REASON FOR ACCOUNT SERVER LOCK: Now we come to the real reason why account server have been locked to begin with for W v W. As you are aware you can join W v W at Level 1. And when you enter you can see the W V W map. Notice some thing in it ? you can see where your teams are battling and where your server team is moving to each and every one online in game from your side in W v W. This is where espionage comes in. Server A, Guild A makes a character in Server B and joins at lvl 1 and can give all info away to server A either through Voip Chat to Guild A or through any frnd typing it out in Server A. This cheating is why you get locked to your home server so one team cannot take advantage of knowing other team positions aka taking out Fog of War out of the game. so if you want to take advantage of this you will have to pay if there is no lockout period every 2 weeks 2X times the server change cost so you have one rogue agent /spy made on the opposing team. If you can afford it go ahead with it, but it ANet feels it still not ethical enough they can easily put a lock out period.

This went too long but hope it explains it.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I think its a bit harsh, and i never really liked stiff solutions to a problem, i mean it can be a good option sometime but if the situation go according to such behavior. The only real problem i see here is if they are server population problems, then such a system will just make things worth because people will feel forced into something they don't really like like overloaded server/ empty server and so on. And as we all know every mmo have population server problem at the launch boom.
    But now considering only the Mist aspect, then ye i think it good that it is handled account wise. I still think you should be able to have a rechoice or 2 when you start playing, like in the first 3 months of your gaming.

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

From the official blog:

Reading comprehension FTL....

Seriously.

They are making it easy as pie to switch servers. There are 2 modes:

1) You can visit another server.

2) You can re-home to a new server.

In case #1 you keep the bonuses from your home server, not the new server, and are only there for a while. Your contribution to their fight does not provide you with any permanent bonuses.

Advantages: Gives you a chance to try out a new server before making the permanent move.

Disadvantages: If they have better bonuses than your server does, you don't get them.

In case #2 you move to the new server entirely. You do not get any bonuses from the new server for a fixed period of time so that people aren't always hopping to whichever server just got the best bonuses.

Advantages: Permanent habitation on the new server. After probationary period ends you get server bonuses from the new server.

Disadvantages: Unspecified period of time with no boons from PVP/server-wide events.

There is nothing preventing you from re-rolling. There is nothing preventing you from re-homing your character, and the fact that you can VISIT ANOTHER SERVER BEFORE MOVING is awesome!!!!! No more "I just switched servers and it is just as bad" scenarios.

I take your point.  The dev does appear to say you can visit another server, but you only receive benefits from your home server while there. 

He doesn't explicitly say though you can enter the Mists while on that guest server.  He could mean that you won't receive the WvW buffs while in PvE (which PvE players would on your home world).

But let's assume you can join another server as a "mercenary" in WvW.  This would allow you to "test the waters" so to speak.  That is very welcome.

However, you would still have to pay though to move permanently, or reroll there.  (We can only hope the payment will be reasonable, and collectable ingame).

Originally posted by Quenchster

Hey guys, I found a source of a dev that mentioned something about this topic. It is what sidhaethe mentioned earlier about that grace period thing on page 2. It also mentions that they are discussing if they should make it currency other than real life money. Just going to link it for reference.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/q45rm/iama_guild_wars_2_game_designer_ama_about_world/c3ukiw4

Question: "This "home server transfer" fee - is it ingame currency or real world money?"

Answer: "We haven't finalized our plans for what that fee will be, if there will be any 'amnesty' period for new accounts, or what currency that fee will require, but I can assure you that we are examining and discussing all possible options and as soon as we have a firm plan in place we'll let you know more!"

Thanks for the link.  That sets my mind at ease a bit.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I can kinda see ANet's logic but if the 'payment' is actual RL money, I can see that being not well received by the gaming public.

I really hope they stick to their 'B2P' model.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• pratikrath86pratikrath86 Member Posts: 79

Logic for Account lock to Server for W v W is sound, or else it can be game breaking. Yes RL money or in game money is the question, imho they should give both options, change server at a nominal cost of say 5-10 $ or buy the stone from cash shop for 10k gold. So you either farm like mad to switch to a better W v W server or just spend RL money. Either way it will be a pinch to do it so it cant be exploited. Also either way if they allow server change for W v W it should be hard if not impossible and have a lockout period so its not game breaking and not exploited by players.