Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubisoft purges all three of it's servers...

bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

"In order to maximize the experience of our players, in a game where it is so important to interact with each other, Sony Online Entertainment and Ubisoft decided to reorganize the EverQuest® servers in order to provide all players the chance to enjoy a large and active community.

As part of this reorganization we will officially be shutting down our three servers: Sebilis, Kael Drakkal , and Venril Sathir and UbiSoft’s EverQuest customers will be transferred to Sony Online Entertainment on June 30th, 2005 . At that time, your account and your characters, including all your characters’ in-game assets, will be moved to the Antonius Bayle server. Please note that this is an English language server.

We hope to make this transfer process as transparent as possible for you. In appreciation of your patience during this transition process, Sony Online Entertainment is pleased to provide you with the following:

Thirty (30) days of free game time in EverQuest
All EverQuest expansions released through EverQuest®: Omens of War™
A 30-day subscription account key for EverQuest® II, and download access to the EverQuest II software.
As a current subscriber to EverQuest, you will not have to make any changes to your billing information or to your EverQuest software. After the transfer is completed, your EverQuest client will automatically update the next time you log in.

On the day of the transfer, June 30th, you will receive a follow-up email alerting you to the start of the process. Included in that email will be your EverQuest II 30-day subscription key and a link to download the EverQuest II software. Also, upon conclusion of the transfer, 30 days of free EverQuest game time will be added to your EverQuest account.

We sincerely thank you for your loyalty, and we hope your continued adventures in Norrath will be even more exciting!"

UbiSoft and Sony Online Entertainment

What that means by 30 june all chars from the german, french and brit ubi servers will be merged onto the SOE AB server (only eight character slots,) and under the free merged server rules PC only have thirty days to initiate a /movelog to move surviving characters to a SOE determined different server ($150 value.)
ps. AB was merged with Kane Bayle, so it will be a FIVE (ab, kb, s, kd, vs) server merged population.

Comments

• djpearcedjpearce Member Posts: 38

Yes all five European servers have merged to become one which is still not overly busy.

SOE are notorious for providing a very poor quality of service to European players, they were just as bad when EQ2 was released. They still have not hiven Australians/New Zealanders there own server despite repeated requests.

If you aren't from the US then give SOE games a very wide berth.

• Iceman12321Iceman12321 Member Posts: 992

man, this is sad. server merges. closing particular servers. If only they made one classic server, I'd totally be in...

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    This was not unpredictable.  Even though EQ made European servers, there were already very large populations of Europeans on the traditional (N. American) servers.  The Europeans have always been second children to SOE and this is not a suprise their servers are being shut down.  It is a shame to see things drop the way they have though over the past year for EQ.  Still counts as my original "good" MMORPG that changed the way I played online.
  • RyldRyld Member Posts: 99

It could have been worse it could have been a Star Wars Online server.

R

• BobiinBobiin Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Ryld

It could have been worse it could have been a Star Wars Online server.
    R

Would be kinda tough to merge a SWG server, cause all of the housing and towns etc.

--Nyture, Arc Convoker of fironia vie server (EQ) --Retired--
    -- Nytur 39 Conjuror of Lucan D'lere (Quit due to low populations)
    -- Currently playing WoW while waiting for vanguard
    Explorer 66%
    Socializer 60%
    Killer 53%
    Achiever 20%

PLEASE SOE MAKE A CLASSIC EQ SERVER. Shadow of luclin was a prick in EQs side. PoP Was a gun to the face.

• jadawinjadawin Member Posts: 37

The main problem with the localized EQ Versions was (in EQ2 still is) the poor job they did on translations.
    If you ever tried bablefish or similar sites you get an idea how bad these translations are. Instead of hiring people who speak german as their native language they tried to get the translations done by programs and scripts. Worse, in EQ2 they did not even take the time to translate all parts of the game. As result it happens all the time that you get a dialogue with an NPC starting in german, switching to english, back to german again. Since they also foolishly insited on giving the NPCs different names in german one often endet up with an entry in the quest journal mentioning a NPC which was not on the server - since the log entry was english, but the NPC was named german...

Another point already made was, the EU servers where intruduced after 4 or 5 years of EQ already running. Worse, one had to switch companies to access them - at least at the beginning. And UBI is not exactly popular with large parts of the gaming community here.

I can not say anything about the french server (i do not speak french well enough to judge), but i suspect things have been similar there.

One of the big points about WOW are the translations. While not being perfect at least one gets an idea whats going on. CoH translations are also decent. So i believe that SOE lost the non english speaking playerbase to these games because they did a sloopy job.

Imagine a german game introduced to the US market. In german, with no translation. How many americans would play it ?

I personally do not believe that these mergers are a problem for SOE, on the contrary. They might loose royalties from UBI, but the regain whats left of the playerbase.

Just my 2 cent