Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprised!!

Bob23106Bob23106 Member UncommonPosts: 30

With one of the Top 5 P2P MMO's of 2010/2011 going F2P tomorrow, I'm suprised its not a massive blur on the forums. With Aion annoucing its F2P release for tomorrow I would of expected to have seen a massive spike in hits to. 

As a P2P member of Aion my biggest concern for the game was the playerbase but now with the game going F2P all the main issues shouldn't be a problem. I mean come on a game that would have set you back $50 is now free who wouldn't try it. 

The question is will it take off, or end up shutting down? There are games with alot less players still surviving can Aion revive itself by going F2P. Lets just hope thier micro system doesnt suck and imba the game. 

Anyone else excited or looking forward to this massive game going F2P? 

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

not really, maybe ill give it a shot, but the reason there was a lack of intesrest on the forums is simple. we have our own games we are interested in. sorry but very few of them have even been beta'd yet.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Well, its F2P for Europe.  The reason its not buzzing is because tomorrow only starts a come back period for NA. We dont have an actual date for when our F2P starts. 

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Isn't this only in Europe though?

• Bob23106Bob23106 Member UncommonPosts: 30

Yeah I know with GW2 releasing its beta sign up and DOTA 2's new test client there doesnt seem to be much else to talk about. 

I just thought with Aion releasing a new patch and changing to the 3.0 Client. 

-Including a level cap rise to 60.

-Increase of XP to increase high levels and get players to the end content quicker. 

There would be a bigger rise in intrest. Maybe I wont go back. It will all depend on the populatity i guess. 

Also the Immersion Articles and Gameplay Footage of TSW, its not every day when every gaming magazine and website is wowed by a game.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

Can you not just download the EU client. Is there IP bans? I mean even if there is. You can always find a way to bypass them, but that does take some time/dedication from someone to find the bypass and to tell everyone. Ontop of that I guess you would really wanna play Aion in the first place. 

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Everyones busy playing the tera beta and gushing over guild wars 2.

I tried Aion and couldn't play past 3 or 4 hours. it was such a slow progression and that combat...geez. Are you sure its a top 5 mmo. 

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Originally posted by Bob23106

I mean come on a game that would have set you back $50 is now free who wouldn't try it. 

Anyone who believes that the term "free to play" is a lie and won't touch anything operating under that business model with a 10 foot pole.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Can you not just download the EU client. Is there IP bans? I mean even if there is. You can always find a way to bypass them, but that does take some time/dedication from someone to find the bypass and to tell everyone. Ontop of that I guess you would really wanna play Aion in the first place. 

I've got friends on NA, its a 2 week invite back (and I suspect that it will F2P right after), so I'm just going to wait for F2P here. I think thats what  a lot are doing.

Well I'm not here to compare games. But at one point, even if it was just for release the game was in the top 5. And the anticpation for the game was immense to. 

I generally thought there would be more interest into the game after there being such hype of Lineage2 going F2P. Im happy to pay for games but when such a high P2P premium game decideds to go F2P, I thought i'd give it ago again see if much has changed. See if the player base increase would make the game more exciting then playing sololy and trying to do quest that need a party. 

I will be looking forward to seeing if it takes off again. Even if players slate the game for it being a "Grind Fest". It was made for Korea and they strive on that. NA obviously didn't like that sort of thing. But thats why they are 2 differant markets.

Originally posted by maplestone

I mean come on a game that would have set you back $50 is now free who wouldn't try it. 

Anyone who believes that the term "free to play" is a lie and won't touch anything operating under that business model with a 10 foot pole.

Well all games are out to make money. No one makes a game just because they can. Its illogical. There will be micro systems or content packages ofcourse. But that will only truly become a issue if you play the to end content. If you like the game so much to play it to end content don't you think you should support the developers. We aint free loaders we just dont want to pay the large retail prices marked up on them before even trying the game. What if you hate it and never want to return you just spunked $50. 

i never understood where that idea came from. Free to play means its evil and a lie. bull, seriously bull. ive been playing alot of Free to Play games and i have never paid a cent on them. mainly because i barely make a living, but still. you don't have to buy the premium stuff. its just there for the people who want the fluff.

Because i can.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Well all games are out to make money. No one makes a game just because they can.

http://nethack.org/

( ok, I realize that this is an ancient example and yes, I'm being more than a little pedantic here, but this industry owes a deep debt to games that really were free to play and really were created just because very bright people out there wanted to prove they could )

Originally posted by LadyNoh

i never understood where that idea came from. Free to play means its evil and a lie. bull, seriously bull. ive been playing alot of Free to Play games and i have never paid a cent on them. mainly because i barely make a living, but still. you don't have to buy the premium stuff. its just there for the people who want the fluff.

I agree with you. Some people generally cant afford to pay for games. With the world in such financial crisis its understandble. Alot of games have a real nice balance with their micro shops and it generally is just to make your charcter look sexy or cute. But its a great way to show your support. 

There is  alot of money grabbing games out there that destroy the F2P name but this is a very small handful of the crazy amount that are on offer.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

The main cost of playing a game is the time it takes.  If I wouldn't play a game even if it were completely free with no item mall, then surely you can understand why I'm not terribly excited about a business model change.

As for it being a "top 5 P2P MMO of 2010/2011", that's top 5 out of how many?  Five, total?  A game that flopped in the US for reasons having nothing to do with the business model can't necessarily become a huge success by changing the business model.  Now, if Aion were to change to something other than the sort of Korean grinder that is the reason that class of games has a bad reputation in the US, then maybe you'd be onto something.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

With one of the Top 5 P2P MMO's of 2010/2011 going F2P tomorrow, I'm suprised its not a massive blur on the forums. With Aion annoucing its F2P release for tomorrow I would of expected to have seen a massive spike in hits to. 

As a P2P member of Aion my biggest concern for the game was the playerbase but now with the game going F2P all the main issues shouldn't be a problem. I mean come on a game that would have set you back $50 is now free who wouldn't try it. 

The question is will it take off, or end up shutting down? There are games with alot less players still surviving can Aion revive itself by going F2P. Lets just hope thier micro system doesnt suck and imba the game. 

Anyone else excited or looking forward to this massive game going F2P? 

Aion was such a turd of a game I wouldn't play it even for free.  I think my boxed set is still lurking in a cupboard somewhere, and it can rot there until I get around to throwing stuff out.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by jinxxed0

Everyones busy playing the tera beta and gushing over guild wars 2.

I tried Aion and couldn't play past 3 or 4 hours. it was such a slow progression and that combat...geez. Are you sure its a top 5 mmo. 

It's got about 2.25 million subs world-wide.     Bigger that SWTOR.   Bigger than just about everything not named WoW in the pure subscription market.

I don't think a lot of people understand.   Most MMOs have under 500K subs.   Eve Online, of pure-sub MMOs is third and they're around 350K.   When SWTOR crashes and hits its projected floor, Eve Online will be probably retake #2 again in the pure-subscription market.   LOTRO and Rift are duking it out for 4th and 5th at 250Kish each.  Rift has a very minor lead right now.

Now there are some MMOs that have dropped off the face as far as reporting.  FFXI I don't have any numbers for.   It was at  350K in 2010.  No idea where it is now.    Same with DOFUS which had 500K back in 2010 as well.    But I don't play either or follow closely and I just don't know what they're doing.   Maybe they went F2P/cash-shop/hybrid and dropped of the subscription charts and onto the 'active accounts' charts...   I just don't know...

Now, we start talking active accounts...   The "F2P" games are huge.  Maplestory a F2P cash-shop game has between 5 million and 6 million...  And there are tons more with millions more players.    Honestly, the F2P cash-shop is a ton more profitable than the subscription model.   That's why even Blizzard is working on a F2P-Cash-Shop MMO...

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Originally posted by loeslein

Isn't this only in Europe though?

No , US is going f2p , and will implement 3.0 soon (1 month ~)

http://na.aiononline.com/rally-the-troops

27 feb ,f2p until lvl 40 w/o limits (no Cds like EU)

will go f2p , 12 march , if u are subbed ,u get the full miragent/ferni set (not weapon or ttile )

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Vested individuals will come back for new 3.0 content.  A lot of people will play GW2, and if it sucks or gets boring fast, they can always continue to grind on Aion, because , hey ! - It's F2P now!   It will get a few new players, but mostly the people who will come back are the ones that maxed everything out , that are burned out, and taking a break.

I know I have taken a few breaks from the game, and generally other mmo's I've played for long periods of time.  I'm interested in delving into the new 3.0 content, getting a house for my toon, and reaching the level cap 60, but I am in no rush.  I can treat it as a casual hobby, and play GW2 on the side and switch back and forth whenever. 

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Lots of my friends jumped on Aion at release - they all quit after the free month saying it was bad, bad, bad.

I don't think I could raise the enthusiasm to download it, even if it is free.