Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Started playing Guild Wars two days ago

For the past year I was playing WoW. I still enjoy it but I do realize when I need a break in things, so I left it. After I stopped playing it TOR came out (I also beta'd it). I was enjoying it for awhile. I was playing a maurader, which was most fun for my tastes, but realized that I would most likely need a break from it soon. I got my maurader up to 34 and decided I need a break (i wont say why since that is not what this posting is about). 

I bought Guild Wars. I never played it. I've seen many videos for GW2 and those have gotten me excited. So I started playing a couple days ago. I wish that I played this game at launch. I really enjoy it. It does a lot of things right that MMOs do wrong. I enjoy the fact that you can hit max level so quick but that there is so much more. I am only 12 right now (started playing 2 days ago) but I am now in EoTN and I have been enjoying it. The atmosphere fits me right. I enjoy the music and the pacing seems lot better than other MMOs. I have a few quips about it but no game is perfect. I know that I will probably not get the HoM complete come launch for GW2 but I really am enjoying this game. I don't care that I can't jump and the environments are just amazing.

What can I say. It's 7 am on a Saturday and I'm awake. Definitely enjoying this game, though, over TOR (not being a troll). I still need to learn a lot, though. I'm playing a monk and healing is a lot more than other MMOs. I keep getting aggro'd.

Comments

  • WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

    Yar it's a really fun game to me as well, even today.  I did play at launch, but was too into WoW at the time to put much time into it.  I play off an on every now and then still, one awesome thing about that payment model. 

     

    The music is great.  FYI it's the same composer who does the Elder Scroll series.  Best video game composer around IMHO :)

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Soule

    image

  • ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

    One of my greatest regrets in my days of playing MMO's was skipping Guild Wars until this year.  I feel like I could have had such a great time in this game over the years.  

  • DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

    Glad you're enjoying yourself. Yes, the game is old, but it's still really good looking. You could say it ages with style. Also, by playing the game, you can earn some stuff and titles for GW2. The game was a really good experience for me, and it also introduces the players to the lore of the game.

  • TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

    I know what you mean. For me, my biggest MMO regret is not playing EQ2 way back in the day. Ratonga's are awesome

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,851

    Originally posted by TheMinn

    What can I say. It's 7 am on a Saturday and I'm awake. Definitely enjoying this game, though, over TOR (not being a troll). I still need to learn a lot, though. I'm playing a monk and healing is a lot more than other MMOs. I keep getting aggro'd.

    Guild Wars doesn't have a traditional aggro system, but has AI that makes mobs quite a bit smarter than most MMORPGs.  Loosely, mobs go for whoever they think they can kill the fastest.  Lower armor, lower health, being nearer, and attacking a mob yourself all make you a more likely target.

    But yes, Guild Wars is a great game.  Eye of the North is by far the worst part of the game, actually.  If you want something to go grind for, so that you can get the PVE cheats that make everything else trivial, then yeah, you go straight for Eye of the North.  But the content itself is a lot better in the campaigns.

  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

    Originally posted by Worstluck

    Yar it's a really fun game to me as well, even today.  I did play at launch, but was too into WoW at the time to put much time into it.  I play off an on every now and then still, one awesome thing about that payment model. 

     

    The music is great.  FYI it's the same composer who does the Elder Scroll series.  Best video game composer around IMHO :)

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Soule

    I agree, excellent music.

  • MertzaSkertzMertzaSkertz Member UncommonPosts: 161

    Originally posted by TheMinn

    I know what you mean. For me, my biggest MMO regret is not playing EQ2 way back in the day. Ratonga's are awesome

    Mine is not playing FFXI back in the day.

  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

    Yeah, GW is an excellent game, I still play occasionally when I have nothing better to do.  I'll be getting GW2 at launch because I enjoyed GW1 so much.  Too bad more games aren't done this way.

    Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

    Yeah, Guildwars is fun as long as you don´t expect it to be a MMO which it isn´t. The best part is that it have some really challenging areas like Droks.

    My advice is that you finnish the original campaign first though, it is massive and have some of the toughest areas in the game.

  • MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

    Originally posted by Quizzical

    ....

    But yes, Guild Wars is a great game.  Eye of the North is by far the worst part of the game, actually.  If you want something to go grind for, so that you can get the PVE cheats that make everything else trivial, then yeah, you go straight for Eye of the North.  But the content itself is a lot better in the campaigns.

    I just have to drop my opinion here.

    If I may say, I enjoyed the original Prophecies campaign, and the Eye of The North most. Don't get me wrong, Nightfall was good, but Factions sucked in my opinion. And I would say, that playing with my wife through the whole thing was quite a challenge, from those hard fights in Prophecies to nasty encounters in EOTN, and lets not forget those insane dungeons which we never got done. :)

     

    Oh, and the HoM grind is quite terrible if you want more than nine to ten points, but that's enough for me. I still happily play GW from time to time and try to organize some people for those dungeons.

    Off-topic: It's still a shame that GW 2 won't have multiclassing. :(

    We?re all dead, just say it.

  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

    yea i've been having fun in guild wars also. started playing about a month ago on and off, just grabbing some HOM points. def a good game

  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

    Originally posted by Loke666

    Yeah, Guildwars is fun as long as you don´t expect it to be a MMO which it isn´t. The best part is that it have some really challenging areas like Droks.

    My advice is that you finnish the original campaign first though, it is massive and have some of the toughest areas in the game.

    Nah EoTN is way better. It's difficult in a very fun way but Prophecies was just an exercise in frustration especially without heroes.

    This is not a game.

  • GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 258

    I had the misfortune of buying this game when factions released. It took me 2 days to get to max level and then i uninstalled it. I figured it was mostly a pvp game and the short leveling was just to get you used to your character. I don't really care for pvp so never bothered with it. Recently though i've been finding out more info about the game while looking at gw2. Seems i only played the one fast campaign, and there is actually a lot more pve content. I did really like the combat and class system so looked into trying it again but it would cost 100$  for Nightfall, EotN, and the 8 hero slots I would probably need. Just doesn't seem worth it since i would be leaving once gw2 starts.

  • TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

    my 2nd biggest MMO regret is playing FF14 at launch ::cries::

  • TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

    the point of GW was to get you to 20. When you hit 20 the game really begins and I don't mean like ENDGAME like other MMOs. You're supposed to hit 20 quick, thats the point.

  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

    Originally posted by TheMinn

    For the past year I was playing WoW. I still enjoy it but I do realize when I need a break in things, so I left it. After I stopped playing it TOR came out (I also beta'd it). I was enjoying it for awhile. I was playing a maurader, which was most fun for my tastes, but realized that I would most likely need a break from it soon. I got my maurader up to 34 and decided I need a break (i wont say why since that is not what this posting is about). 

    I bought Guild Wars. I never played it. I've seen many videos for GW2 and those have gotten me excited. So I started playing a couple days ago. I wish that I played this game at launch. I really enjoy it. It does a lot of things right that MMOs do wrong. I enjoy the fact that you can hit max level so quick but that there is so much more. I am only 12 right now (started playing 2 days ago) but I am now in EoTN and I have been enjoying it. The atmosphere fits me right. I enjoy the music and the pacing seems lot better than other MMOs. I have a few quips about it but no game is perfect. I know that I will probably not get the HoM complete come launch for GW2 but I really am enjoying this game. I don't care that I can't jump and the environments are just amazing.

    What can I say. It's 7 am on a Saturday and I'm awake. Definitely enjoying this game, though, over TOR (not being a troll). I still need to learn a lot, though. I'm playing a monk and healing is a lot more than other MMOs. I keep getting aggro'd.

    To each their own I suppose.  I never could get past level 6 in GW1, I found it completely to boring for my tastes, not to mention the character animations, movements adn the lac kof jumping were huge no-no's to me.  Turning on a dime instead of feeling like a tractor trailor to turn was the biggest reason.

     

    However as my post history should show I am prolly one of the hugest fanbois of GW2 so take thgat into consideration before you flame me.

    Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

    Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

    image

  • TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

    not going to flame you but why did you post that, in the first place? trying to understand the relevance.

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,851

    Originally posted by Zeroxin

    Originally posted by Loke666

    Yeah, Guildwars is fun as long as you don´t expect it to be a MMO which it isn´t. The best part is that it have some really challenging areas like Droks.

    My advice is that you finnish the original campaign first though, it is massive and have some of the toughest areas in the game.

    Nah EoTN is way better. It's difficult in a very fun way but Prophecies was just an exercise in frustration especially without heroes.

    I guess it depends on whether you want a challenge or not.  Prophecies was originally intended to be done without heroes.  If you bring heroes into Prophecies for easy mode, then you make everything trivial.  The same is nearly true of Factions, though there are a couple of spots there that can be tricky with henchmen only.  In hard mode, you do want heroes everywhere, of course.

    But in Eye of the North, even with henchmen/heroes (back in the days when you could only have three heroes at once), even in hard mode, and without using PVE-only stuff, nearly everything is trivial.  Even if you wipe, it doesn't matter, because you just continue where you left off.  There are only two missions for which I even know theoretically how to fail the mission.  Well, I suppose there is a third that can stalemate.  But everything else is just going through the motions, and it really doesn't matter what you do, because you're going to win anyway, no matter how badly you screw up.

  • error_404error_404 Member UncommonPosts: 108

    Originally posted by Senjinn

    I had the misfortune of buying this game when factions released. It took me 2 days to get to max level and then i uninstalled it. I figured it was mostly a pvp game and the short leveling was just to get you used to your character. I don't really care for pvp so never bothered with it. Recently though i've been finding out more info about the game while looking at gw2. Seems i only played the one fast campaign, and there is actually a lot more pve content. I did really like the combat and class system so looked into trying it again but it would cost 100$  for Nightfall, EotN, and the 8 hero slots I would probably need. Just doesn't seem worth it since i would be leaving once gw2 starts.

    The entire trilogy is usually only around $30, you don't need the hero slots unless you're planning on making your own characters into heroes. Nightfall and EotN give you all the heroes you need.

  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

    Originally posted by TheMinn

    not going to flame you but why did you post that, in the first place? trying to understand the relevance.

    Gonna take a gamble that because its a forum to discuss MMO's question mark, question mark?

    Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

    Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

    image

Sign In or Register to comment.