Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end F2P help please

mbergstrommbergstrom Member Posts: 15

Hello,

I read the stickies above and would like more suggestions seeing as most the games suggested I have played/do not enjoy anymore do to content changes or just a terrible in-game community.

I have a VERY low end PC. I Can support WoW with about 14 FPS but I no longer play due to my budget not being able to afford a monthly fee toward MMO's right now. I've also lost interest in WoW.

Well there's my reason now for what I'm looking for; something low end. Graphics are not a big concern with me as long as they *fit* the game. Games that have game stores do not bother me, what I want is the ability to have a free account but still have access to a good amount of in-game content (PvP, questing, crafting, etc.) I'm a do it all kind of player.

Having a good in-game community is important to me, I don't care if it's full of the younger generation as long as I can find like-minded people who know what they are talking about... (most the time) I also find PvP to be very important to me.

Seeing as I wont be playing all too often I want gameplay to be mostly simple. It doesnt have to be dumb and dumber style but not to complicated. (Tactic's games like Wakfu and Dofus are awesome, they just limit their non-sub gamers to such an extent it's torture) I don't mind how it's played just as long as a casual gamer can grasp it.

Game's that I'll never play again:

Runescape

MapleStory

WoW

Thanks for any at all help and suggestions that are posted!

Comments

• CollaborCollabor Member UncommonPosts: 37

Wakfu -the new SquareEnix game coming out at the end of this month. much like Final Fantasy Tactics, but with mmo elements

• mbergstrommbergstrom Member Posts: 15

I'm currently trying Tibia I find that I experience odd lag spikes in game. Not sure why.

Read the OP, I wont play Wakfu for the fact that free players get rightly screwed over. It's the lack of not being able to use Karma's that hurt.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Have you tried Fallen Earth?  I don't know if the graphics are that much of a load for your rig.  I haven't tried it since it went f2p, but as a p2p game it was full featured.  The combat was more twitch based like a tps, wich is not high on my favorites list. 

Its a classless skills based game.  Read as many class guides as you can.  Decide what role you want your main to be and level skills only for that role.  Make alts for crafting and gathering, if you level those skills on your PvP char you will feel like you wasted skill points, the game is about specuializing not making a jack of all trades.  I woudl say make 2 or 3 trash characters that you will delete after lerning the ropes.  Then make your PvP main, and 1 or 2 alts to craft gear and supplies for your main.  I loved the variety of the crafting.  Really there is only one item at each level you want, but so many other distracting gear.

Read the new player guides is a must.  The game is multi-faction ( 8 as I recall ), they have indivual starting towns  with different specializations.  Different towns will have quest that reward differnt free training books.  These books are your skills for either combat, crafting, or support.  Nothing worse than buying a book you could get for free if you just walked to another town and didn't their quests.  Read the guides once you understand its not complicated.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

Thank you Konfess, I'll check it out!

Mind shedding some light on why you quit?

EDIT/ From the looks of things I will not be able to support Fallen Earth that well. Thanks though!

Any more suggestions?

• omega78omega78 Member UncommonPosts: 260

For more simple games that won't spend your pc...

Flyff: It has never lagged on my old 1gb ram computer, on higher settings as well...I'm sure if you need to set it to low (it wouldn't make much of a graphic difference) it would ease the lag. The combat is similar to most other games, yet there is something different about Flyff, the classes aren't the normal overused archetypes like you get in a lot of f2p games, albeit those archetypes do exist in their Ranger/Mage class, but even then those classes are unique, there are roughly 16 classes, you start off as a Vagrant and pick 1 of the 4 classes at level 15, then you pick 1 of another 2 classes at 60, and lastly you become your final class at 120 or 130.

Ragnarok Online: A p2p that has gone f2p, 2.5d and still popular. It is rather old thus it will run on nearly any computer. There are A LOT of classes in RO, I think I counted something around 30-50 classes. The grind isn't too bad, but getting used to its interface in the beginning of the game may be difficult, but if you bear with it it is a rather fun game that will keep you entertained for quite awhile.

Trickster Online: Similar to RO, the graphics are also 2.5d, and while it doesn't have as many classes as RO, it still has a healthy amount. There are 4 "types" (classes) Power, Sense, Magic and Charm. Power is your melee dps, Sense is your ranged dps, Magic is well...magic, and charm is your tank (though you can still go a full power charm, works like a "charm") The game should be able to run on your computer. The game is very casual, leveling isn't much of a difficulty. For example, if one forms a party with each of the other types, your XP is doubled.

Grand Chase: A side scrolling action game, on lowest settings you shouldn't lag much at all. There are 13-14 characters to pick from and you can change at anytime in between matches. Each character (bar the 3 Demons) has 4 classes out right now, which can also be changed at any time.

Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine-  An mmo based on the SMT series, if you are familiar with it, it takes place between the First and Second games. The graphics aren't anything too astounding, so on low you should be able to run it (just be careful in popular hang out spots) The combat is twitchy. The skill system is rather indepth albeit, it can be a hassle to expertise a specific skill set to learn its later skills.

Last Chaos: This game is...meh to be honest, the grind is a bit too thick for my tastes, but it can run on a lot of computers. The classes are moderately interesting, though you are gender locked. Its a good way to kill time and mindlessly grind while talking to people, last I played 2x XP events happened quite a bit. 

La Tale: Since you didn't give any reasons as to why you left MS, I'll suggest La Tale, another 2d game but it is far superior to Maple Story, there is far less grind and the community is simply amazing. The classes are very cool and diverse, you pick one of the 5 classes at character select, then at 80 you pick your 2nd class, you have 2 choices. Then again at 120 you become your next class...and THEN you can do your sub class quests, sub classes are exceptionally awesome versions of your class. Such as how, Ruin Walker (thief) and Gun Slinger, while still having come from Explorer go into two very different sub classes, RW goes into Rogue master, a dual dagger wielding class, Gun slinger goes into Blade Slinger, a gun blade using class.

Gunz The Duel: A third person shooter, the graphics are that of PS1/N64, the game is very fast paced, your characters can run on walls and climb up them using their swords. There is also this....thing called K-style that makes one exceptionally powerful if they master it.

Wolf Team: Another shooter but with a twist. Humans vs Wolves, the graphics aren't anything special, so you should be able to handle it. Wolves play in 3rd person melee only (bar a few specials) combat, where as humans use 1st person w/guns. A very fun game which, while it will make you rage at sometimes, it is well worth it.

Also, if you ever get back into P2P look up Final Fantasy XI, the game is something around 10 years old now, your computer can probably run it like a charm, and the population is still pretty good. If you do play it, throw me a pm.

I hope that you can play some of these games, I wish you luck in your endeavors.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Wakfu I would also suggest, that and Red Stone. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

Omega, I love you.

Thank you for the VERY detailed quick reviews they are very imformative.

You wondered about why I left MS, I played MS when it first came out. Before all the youngin's joined the game. I had a lot of fun, but with their further developments into the game it just seemed to make the game less and less attractive. I could not stick with it. I will deffinately have to try a the games you suggested out.

As for Gunz, I actually also use to play it. I have never heard of K-style. Again it's a game I played before ijji got their hands on it. It was actually one of the games I tried to play again before posting here. I was not even able to get in-game with their launcher. Couldn't sign up, couldn't do anything. So I just left it, I also feel that having the only way to play is with a facebook account is a HUGE breach of my privacy I don't need ijji having that sort of information on me. (Back in the day I used to use the butterfly sword style, which in a sense was sword jumping/sword defence, and the use of uzi in close range combat)

EDIT/ On that note, I also played Flyff back in the day. Though I think I found it fairly repetetive. (I was quite young then, I think I'll try it again. The idea of a full out PK server is awesome.)

Also Konfess I tried Fallen Earth, as I suspected with very low settings I had terrible FPS 25 inside, 8 outside. People in game were too awesome though great community and that was from about half an hour of gameplay. I would recommend that game to anyone who can handle it. Just an amazingly in-depth easy to grasp game. The concept of it is cool too, great combat, and a HUGE amount of character customization.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

What hardware do you have?  I was able to get a lot better than 14 frames per second in WoW on a Pentium 4 and GeForce 4 MX something or other.  If you can't even run games as well as the computer I bought about ten years ago, you've got some seriously low end hardware, and that will greatly restrict your choice of games.

Dell Dimension 3100

Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz

1.5 GB RAM

Intel Integrated I think it has about 512Mb? I forget, not that high.

I'd like to suggest getting a new computer.  The performance of what you have trails way, way behind even a modern netbook.

If you can't get a new computer, then even a low end video card like these would do wonders for the selection of games that will run on your machine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131451

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121476

Which card would make more sense depends on whether you do rebates.

I wouldn't normally recommend low end cards like those for gaming, but either of those probably offer at least 10 times the graphical performance of what you have now, in addition to vastly better drivers.

Yes getting a new computer/card has been something I've wanted to do for a long time. But being a college student with large amounts of debt having to do with my own stupidity I cannot really afford a new card or anything at the time... I don't even pay my own internet bill.

EDIT/ AND I posted without even looking at the prices... Wow, those will actually work with my dell? at those prices I don't care about rebates.

EDIT// Nope they will not, my dell is PCI, not PCI-E.

Now that I think about it I would not mind playing a diablo 2 styled mmo with pvp and a simple GUI. (simple GUI not needed but nice)

I checked out Drakensang Online but when I tried to play I got an odd pop-up error.

EDIT/ Looking back on other posts, I've jumped into Red Stone.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Originally posted by mbergstrom

Now that I think about it I would not mind playing a diablo 2 styled mmo with pvp and a simple GUI. (simple GUI not needed but nice)

I checked out Drakensang Online but when I tried to play I got an odd pop-up error.

EDIT/ Looking back on other posts, I've jumped into Red Stone.

Glad you found it, I looked earlier this morning after reading your Diablo 2 comment and was going to add some more info about the game. It is very diablo-esque in playstyle, and certainly should run fine on low-end systems. I find the game very fun... although I never seem to get very far before being distracted by another game, but its a fun game to keep rolling new chars :)

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

Ah, sorry.  I forgot about that.  PCI Express has been the standard for video cards since 2004, when it replaced AGP, which had been the standard since 1998.  If PCI is really all you have, then your computer must really be ancient.  Unfortunately, PCI video cards cost more, as they're a very low volume product.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Ah, sorry.  I forgot about that.  PCI Express has been the standard for video cards since 2004, when it replaced AGP, which had been the standard since 1998.  If PCI is really all you have, then your computer must really be ancient.  Unfortunately, PCI video cards cost more, as they're a very low volume product.

Yes which is why I was so surprised by the price when you first posted...

One thing that is very odd about my PC is that when I try to lookup stats/specs on it everything I find says that it has PCI-E slots, yet mine does not. Because I have an old ATI something sitting right here! Would have plugged and played a long time ago if I could use PCI-E.

The PC it's self I believe was released in 2002? I don't remember it's my second PC. My first I only every used to play games by ID (Doom, Doom 2, Hexin, etc) and to make my own text based rpg's. But that was when I was 12 or so. This PC has been to hell and back with me. It's survived falling out of the back of my pickup during a move, it's been frozen in the cold winters of Northern BC. This machine is a beast from hell that just doesn't die.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Have you looked into any of the side-scrolling games, like MapleStory?  There is one other big one similar to it, but I don't remember the name.  Those should run well on your system.

I don't think I'll ever play MS again, I just don't like the general feel of it anymore. It also seems that most sidescrollers are just clones of MS.

I tried Dungeon Fighter but it became way to repetetive, it was great for the first few days.

I need content on top of a great PvP system, I need something that keeps me interested while I'm trying to become more powerful for PvP.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Shin Megami Tensei Online worked pretty well with a giant piece of crap computer I had back when it first came out (the japanese version for that matter) probably even worse then what you posted.  It's graphics rely more on style then anything like crazy video card requirements.

Guess they also added in PvP to it, but it's been a long time since I played the game and never experienced it.

You could suggest a lot of games, but the PvP makes it harder, heh....

• yokam888yokam888 Member Posts: 87

ive been playing LOTRO on my netbook for quite some time now. of course graphics are all at the lowest settings but it does run fine. my netbook has intel atom 1.6ghz, 2gb ram and intelgma only lol. it's not even overclocked :D

(\__/) Why Can't You Put
    ( ^.^) The Bunneh
    (")-(") Back In The Box?

• HannyyHannyy Member UncommonPosts: 12

Ever tried Runescape (Browser based) oder Conquer Online (2d) ? I used to play them years ago.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    ? Albert Einstein

Hannyy it is expected of all members of a forum to atleast read the original post.