Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nice game but ..

FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

I've been playing LOTRO for a while and while I must say the gameplay is very ok and I'm a fan of Tolkien's work there's one thing that bothers me a lot:

- Why are the character customisation options so poor and why does my (elf) character run so strange like the body is floating and the legs are running under it? It's embarrasing, i find this very counter-immersive!?

Comments

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

This has always been the worst part of what is a very beautiful game,environments in lotro are second to none IMO.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Well, it stops being a nice game when you start the legendary item grind. But until then it's pretty fun.

But yeah, the character models kind of suck. I was hoping they'd get something of a makeover but given the last half-assed expansion, I think the problem is still the same - Turbine just doesn't have many people working on the game.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

So true. It might sound trivial to a lot of people but it really only takes something so noticeably stupid as that to snap you back to reality

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

So true. It might sound trivial to a lot of people but it really only takes something so noticeably stupid as that to snap you back to reality

Yes it always stikes me as very silly if developers - again and again - don't really pay a lot of attention to the look of the characters. Even though the community usually thinks it's quite important. It looks like korean game companies understand it a lot better: immersion doens't just come from the gameplay and nice environments but starts with the things that's meant to represent you.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Have to agree,character models suck big time..only thing i dislike about the game,oh and them f-----g legendary weapons..ffs i hope they get rid of them soon.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Findariel

Yes it always stikes me as very silly if developers - again and again - don't really pay a lot of attention to the look of the characters. Even though the community usually thinks it's quite important. It looks like korean game companies understand it a lot better: immersion doens't just come from the gameplay and nice environments but starts with the things that's meant to represent you.

You had me until you said Korean character models and animations are the best. Sorry, but they all run like thay are about to fall forward. Nobody runs with their torso bent 45 degrees forward of the legs.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

Ye I was watching this guy's floating torso and then just BAM right back to reality....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFxH9G1C9ks 

Seriously tho, Korean games? Gimme a break =)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Velocinox

You had me until you said Korean character models and animations are the best. Sorry, but they all run like thay are about to fall forward. Nobody runs with their torso bent 45 degrees forward of the legs.

No, no no. You need to take it one step further. He is absolutely correct.

Don't concentrate on the art design or aesthetics. Just "what is happening". What is being achieved.

The avatars for korean games/Asian Games, regardless of what "angle" they run at or how they are dressed, are always better.

The animations are very smooth, the hair in newer games move and seems natural, their is a lot of detail to them. Just look at the detail in the side pouch of an avatar in Final Fantasy 14. How it moves and seems to natrually fall against the body. How the sword smoothly slides into the scabbard. It's these things, this attention to detail, that he is talking about.

Apply these ideas to an avatar with an art design closer to what you would find in Lord of the Rings and it really would be something special.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

"The avatars for korean games/Asian Games, regardless of what "angle" they run at or how they are dressed, are always better."

This is it in a nutshell. Turbine just needs to hire some Korean animators and get it right. Their character animations have always sucked. The one thing I can say about Korean games is that the animations are always beautiful....not so for American games. Maybe someday someone will combine the better American gameplay with the superior Korean animations....we can only hope.

So it's not about Korean studios at all, what you're saying is the latest MMO game engines have better looking Avatars than an MMO game engine that is more than six years old? (Lotro uses the DDO engine)

I'll have to look into the validity of your claim, but I think you might be on to something here.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178

So it's not about Korean studios at all, what you're saying is the latest MMO game engines have better looking Avatars than an MMO game engine that is more than six years old? (Lotro uses the DDO engine)

I'll have to look into the validity of your claim, but I think you might be on to something here.

Eh..no LOTRO uses the Ahseron's Call 2 Engine with some modifications.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by 4getting2009

Right, same engine for LotRO as DDO, the root of the engine of course being AC2. :) Theyv'e done updates but just never good character updates. I really wish they would since they do paint such awesome landscapes and enviroments. My list of short comings of LotRO is character look, pvp and the grind of legendary items. I really dislike legendary items anymore.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by Sovrath

No, no no. You need to take it one step further. He is absolutely correct.

Don't concentrate on the art design or aesthetics. Just "what is happening". What is being achieved.

The avatars for korean games/Asian Games, regardless of what "angle" they run at or how they are dressed, are always better.

The animations are very smooth, the hair in newer games move and seems natural, their is a lot of detail to them. Just look at the detail in the side pouch of an avatar in Final Fantasy 14. How it moves and seems to natrually fall against the body. How the sword smoothly slides into the scabbard. It's these things, this attention to detail, that he is talking about.

Apply these ideas to an avatar with an art design closer to what you would find in Lord of the Rings and it really would be something special.

So true. I've been captivated by the animation in ArcheAge.  When I saw the free flowing hair for one of the female avatars, it dazzled me...I had to think 'am I really watching a vid from an MMO?"

LOTRO could do with implementing some MoCap work.  I think SWTOR has MoCap (possibly imported from SWG which definitely had MoCap), or some anyway. You can tell the animated motion from the captured motion quite easily.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

Right, same engine for LotRO as DDO, the root of the engine of course being AC2. :) Theyv'e done updates but just never good character updates. I really wish they would since they do paint such awesome landscapes and enviroments. My list of short comings of LotRO is character look, pvp and the grind of legendary items. I really dislike legendary items anymore.

UGH don't get me started on Legendary items it was a huge grind even after the legacy scrolls in and out of the store. sigh.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

UGH don't get me started on Legendary items it was a huge grind even after the legacy scrolls in and out of the store. sigh.

After the store came out here is a typical conversation between my wife and I.

Me: "hmm hon?"

Her: "Yes?"

Me:" I uhmm..."

Her: (growing impatent tone) "Yes?"

Me:" You don't mind if I get some more points do you...."

Her:"Didn't you buy like that 5,000 point thing a week or two ago?"

Me:" err yeah but they had this one mount you know and uhm...it had the faster speed and uhm..."

Her:"(Sigh) yeah go ahead, damn hobby is still cheaper then the skiing and motorcycles."

Yeah the store was a bad idea, I end up snagging the damn legacy scrolls and entirely too much random fluff that comes out in the stores. Never knew I was such a "Barbie player". You know getting the characters various looks etc. lol I've been a subscriber to LotRO since one month after release though I do take breaks often. That damn store was the worst thing that ever came out!

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137

I didnt know that, I actually would like to log into LoTRO and find my Captain turned into a Lugian Tactician, I loved that class. (the classes were certainly more diverse than what LoTRO has now, since its bound by Tolkien lore)

Right, the modifications were for DDO, and were more significant than 'some'. My point being none the less valid.