Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overall Review

Cromagnum119Cromagnum119 Member UncommonPosts: 16

Ok I've been waiting for Swtor sense KOTOR 2 came out. I pre-ordered the game in July (CE) and got to play it 7 days early. Now after 2 months I have 4 level 50s (2 on both sides) and have a review.

Graphics: 9.5/10

The Graphics in the game are AMAZING for a MMO and desereve alot of praise. The only thing keeping it from being a 10 is the small amount of graphic bugs that still exist.

Combat: 9/10

The combat isn't some great new innovation but it does have great animations that you don't find in any other MMO. This allows for a realistic and exciting experience. Combined with some very iconic Star Wars moves and you get truly amazing combat.

Sound: 10/10

The sound in the game is just pure amazing. With iconic star wars music and some new stuff in the mix the sound truly puts you in the action.

Costumer Support: 8/10

The costumer support in the game has some issues. However, one of the biggest "issues" was telephone support. This ended up being centered around a confusing automated message. People would hang up right before being put in a que and thought that they were supposed to hang up. The real main problem is the horrible "automated" message system for their tickets. Other then that I have been pleased overall with Costumer Support.

PvP: 7/10

PvP in the game has a great base but more then a few problems. While some of these are being fixed the simple fact is, there isn't a ton to do thats "challanging". The Empire outnumbers the Republic so they can get PvP gear easier and then out powers them aswell. While not much can be done about this the alternitives to just basic PvP are few and far between.

Story: 10/10

Lastly and most importantly story. BioWare has created a master piece here and has once again showed it is the best story telling company in the buisness. The stories of all the classes are extremly compelling and exciting. The one fault I see in the story is that the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight (more JK the SW) got more attention then the others. This just makes me want to give those to stories 11/10 because they are that AMAZING.

Overall: 9.5/10

Ok so the game needs some work but the base is there. The inovations that BioWare brought in have made this game great. Now with about 3 months more of tune ups, it will become the perfect MMO. I can't wait :)

In My World It's Kill Or Be Killed

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I will have to respectfully disagree with you on pretty much every point you made and every score you gave. Lower the scores by 2 or 3 points each is my view of it lol =)

But I am glad you found something you enjoy alot and hope it continues to give you that much entertainment and value=)

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Whatever you're smoking OP, pass it down.

• TorvanusTorvanus Member Posts: 17

Nice review

My take on these areas:

Graphics: 8/10

Some character details could be better as per cutscenes and shadows are blocky.

Combat: 9/10

Agree that was one of my favourite parts of the game

Sound: 9/10

Immersive but sometimes certain sounds would disappear like my speeder engine sound

Customer support: 5/10

I had just bot responses till I unsubscribed then I would recieve emails from CSR stating problem has been recognized and forwarded etc. Even had a CSR in game within 5 minutes regarding one issue. After I unsubscribed support went to a 9/10.

PVP: 5/10

I may even be being generous with this. I Can not see myself paying 15$ a month to play Huttball (I'm a Bounty Hunter not a sports enthusiast). The Alderean war zone is cool but not enough of these types of levels. And ILum is very weak.

Story: 8/10

The original KOTOR is deserving of a 10 but in TOR while the stories are very good they actually a little long in the tooth and the story on Voss for the bounty hunter was fairly uninteresting.

Overall 7/10

A very good single player RPG but once you reach level 50 it is very limited. Having said that I probably will resub in a few months to see how the legacy system and PVP are panning out.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

"Graphics 9.5"?

Stopped reading right there.

Next?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

"Graphics 9.5"?

Stopped reading right there.

Next?

I liked the game, but yeah, saying its a 9.5 or anything over 7 or 8 is a joke. There are much better looking MMOs out there. Go look at TERA for what a 9.5 looks like.

• KienKien Member Posts: 520

I disagree with you regarding the graphics. Although, when I say "graphics", I mean overall art. The landscape art (look and feel of the world) was uninspiring in my opinion.

Sound was great. I love the music in the cantinas, although I know a lot of people hated it, heh.

I had a good time playing SWTOR, but I won't be renewing my sub when it expires next month.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

The sound, when its going good, is goin good.  The sabers, blasters, etc.

The only problem is the ambeint sounds.  They just aren't there.  No sound of grass, a speeder zooms by you, and you hear nothing.  Two people are clearly engaged in conversation.  walk up to them, and you hear nothing.

When it comes to graphics, I found them "meh."  Not bad, but not great either.  For a Bioware game, the graphics were nice.  But then again, Bioware normally isn't known for games that blow you away graphically.  The one game they did (seriously, the high res pack for DA2 does indeed look absolutely stunning), I really didn't like the game.

And I guess here's a question for the OP:  how does a system where there isn't anything "challening", lacks anything beyond the basic, and is damaged by severe faction imbalances worthy of a 7/10?  How much of a curve are you grading on?

And personally, if a game is 9.5, there really isn't much work needed.  You are entitled to your opinon, I just hope you have flame resistant armor.

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Graphic 9.5/10 ? Never. Max you will ever be able to give is maybe a 8.

Customer's support not great.

Combat is not bad, but far to be "realistic".

All the problem in Ilum make the PvP to not worth get anything worth more than a 7 / 7.5.

The sound and the story is indeed really good.

You're a fan, It's nice you found something you enjoy, but you are far to be realistic. The game deserve a good 7-8/10, but nothing above.

For me it was (0 to 10 scale, 5 being middle of the road, 0 being degrading to humanity, 10 being something that will set the standard for future games):

Graphics:  6

With the high end texture pack, things might end up a bit better.  But as it stands right now, the game uses DX9, and even then it still doesn't look good.  Skyrim has better graphics.  And honestly, Skyrim wasn't anything to write home about.  There's also the fact that locales are reused way too much, sometimes one "planet" is simply the same layout as another planet except a different color.  It's absolute laziness.  Same with the caves/lairs.  In many instances, once again, exactly the same.

Space looks, at best, decent.  And considering everything is on rails, it really should've been easier to develop pretty graphics.

Combat:  6.5/7

It is your standard DPS/Heals/Tank trinity MMO.  I suppose it does it okay, if that's your thing.  yet if you are looking for diverse skills, you will be disappointed.  Everyone has a stun, everyone has a knockback.  The Republic and Sith respective classes really are just copies of each other, their is no distinct flavor to a Jedi Guardian as opposed to a Sith Warrior.  When you level, you are basically using the same 4-5 skills.  As you level higher, you use the same 4-5 rotation, except you add in a heal.  Whatever one wants to say about WoW (and the less I say the better, trying to be charitable this Lenten season), they at least had some interesting skills, and some smart cooldown management to add a flavor of difficulty to it.  In this game, people will laugh and go "lolwut?  What is this cooldown management?"  Yet this is unbelievably standard in the MMO world today.  TOR does it a little better than the rest.  That isn't saying much though.

Customer Support:  can't give personal experience but the overall seems to be very poor.  So N/A but like the rating agencies, a "negative outlook"

Sounds:  6.  Poor ambient sounds really is an issue in an MMO.  The voiceover work is well done, yet repetitive.  Way yoo many lines used.  A level 30 inquisitor will say "just show me where the fun is", if they do all the quests, at least 10 times, before level 30.

Polish:  2.  Not many "bugs", but those that exist, really are nasty and gamebreaking.  Combine that with the feel of a world really bland and unfinished.  The world lacks charm.  If you don't come into it with preconceptions about Star wars, you won't think this is star wars.  You will think it is the reject portion of Azeroth where the special people go to play with glowsticks.

PvP:  3 out of 10.  Okay, Huttball is kinda innovative.  That gets 4 points.  Yet the repetitive nature of things, the horribly broken nature of Illum, the lack of meaning in pvp, the fact that it really is sorta easy to acquire BM right now, I really can't give this that much better.

Story:  7. Okay, a lot of storyline stuff is good.  Yet your companions aren't the least bit compelling.  The storylines themselves are just about how implausibly badass you are.  They do that well, but I guess I want more.  Hopefully future storylines, or future games  can pick this up and run with it.

Replayability:  7.  Some people will want to experience alts.  Yet if you are going to roll and stick with your main toon, your best bet is to do flashpoints you already did, except now they are on HARDMODE!  Then once you finish that, you do the same ones, except now on NIGHTMARE!  And keep doing them over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

Within 3 months, the majority of dedicated players will have done this already.  Single player games, that's great replay value.  For an MMO, 3 months is an awfully short time.

Space:  I can't go any lower than zero, but I wish I could.  Their placing it entirely on rails is a not so subtle way of telling the playerbase they are nothing but hamsters, and will go whever they tell them to, and like it.

Overall:  5.7.  A Garden variety MMO, and a decent "first showing" by a company.  Yet for someone with a 200 million budget, they really could've done better.  They can improve on some things, but I really don't see how the pvp rebounds.

• The_GekkoThe_Gekko Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by Cromagnum119

Ok I've been waiting for Swtor sense KOTOR 2 came out. I pre-ordered the game in July (CE) and got to play it 7 days early. Now after 2 months I have 4 level 50s (2 on both sides) and have a review.

Graphics: 9.5/10 (7.5/10)

The Graphics in the game are AMAZING for a MMO and desereve alot of praise. The only thing keeping it from being a 10 is the small amount of graphic bugs that still exist.

The graphics are fairly nice, but I don't think they hold a candle to graphics from AoC, so they could have been better. I understand the need to cut back on some of the "oomph" to allow playability on a wider range of systems, but the lack of high res textures, the texture bug for medium settings, and that overall "plastic" sheen on everything really hurts this score IMHO.

Combat: 9/10 (6/10)

The combat isn't some great new innovation but it does have great animations that you don't find in any other MMO. This allows for a realistic and exciting experience. Combined with some very iconic Star Wars moves and you get truly amazing combat.

Lack of autoattack was something different and not a bad idea, but character responsiveness is still an issue, even with a few patch fixes. I agree the animations are well done, but there are quite a few bugs with characters getting stuck in animations after they completed. GDC ghosting still hasn't been fixed AFAIK, and the stunlocking and the badly implemented resolve bar for diminishing returns on PvP chain CC's/stuns hurts the combat experience in PvP.

Sound: 10/10 (10/10)

The sound in the game is just pure amazing. With iconic star wars music and some new stuff in the mix the sound truly puts you in the action.

No complaints here, the music was especially well done.

Costumer Support: 8/10 (7/10)

The costumer support in the game has some issues. However, one of the biggest "issues" was telephone support. This ended up being centered around a confusing automated message. People would hang up right before being put in a que and thought that they were supposed to hang up. The real main problem is the horrible "automated" message system for their tickets. Other then that I have been pleased overall with Costumer Support.

Only dealt with the ticket system, some were responded to 5-6 days after submission, some never.  Could use improvement.

PvP: 7/10 (6/10)

PvP in the game has a great base but more then a few problems. While some of these are being fixed the simple fact is, there isn't a ton to do thats "challanging". The Empire outnumbers the Republic so they can get PvP gear easier and then out powers them aswell. While not much can be done about this the alternitives to just basic PvP are few and far between.

Can be fun and engaging for some time, but the 3 Warzones get tiresome quickly. I never made it high enough to check out Ilum, so I cannot comment on that, but I am aware of the many issues such as faction inbalance. Most of my gripes in PvP come down to the combat, please see above for the details.

Story: 10/10 (9/10)

Lastly and most importantly story. BioWare has created a master piece here and has once again showed it is the best story telling company in the buisness. The stories of all the classes are extremly compelling and exciting. The one fault I see in the story is that the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight (more JK the SW) got more attention then the others. This just makes me want to give those to stories 11/10 because they are that AMAZING.

I was quite satisfied with the class stories, even though some were more fleshed out than others (and much more interesting). The generic mission stories however could have used a bit more variety, but overall BW shines where they have shined before: Story telling.

Overall: 9.5/10 (6/10)

Ok so the game needs some work but the base is there. The inovations that BioWare brought in have made this game great. Now with about 3 months more of tune ups, it will become the perfect MMO. I can't wait :)

Definitely needs work, and there is no excuse for some of features missing that have now become standard in nearly all other MMO's: guild bank, universal (global) communication channel, properly functioning AH (GTN), proper character responsiveness, etc. BW had a lot of groundwork to build from and a lot of precedent to learn from, yet they missed the mark on a lot of things.  I have to echo the sentiments of some other posters on here and say that I think BW got too caught up with the VO features and personal stories, and overlooked the bigger picture.

Not trying to discredit your review OP, just wanted to share my feedback in contrast. Good review though overall :)

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Ok I've been waiting for Swtor sense KOTOR 2 came out. I pre-ordered the game in July (CE) and got to play it 7 days early. Now after 2 months I have 4 level 50s (2 on both sides) and have a review.  The Graphics in the game are AMAZING for a MMO and desereve alot of praise. The only thing keeping it from being a 10 is the small amount of graphic bugs that still exist.

9.5?   I'm sorry...  It doesn't even have good graphics for an MMO.    For example, minimum spec are:  ATI X1800 or better* nVidia 7800 or better* Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*    See those cards?   Those cards are 2004/2005 cards.    It's 2012.    There is, btw, a reason those cards are at the bottom.      

It uses Shader 3.0. That's DX9.0c. That came out August 2004. Once again, OP, this is 2012.   The graphics, in this MMO, are EIGHT YEARS OLD.    Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

The textures are muddy, jagged and pixelated.  They, frankly, look more like they were made for an XBox.  I don't mean XBox 360 released in 2003.   I mean old XBox...

Nobody in their right mind could honestly give these graphics a 9.5.   Your review, just on the aesthics, is a complete joke opinion and all I can see is you're just trying to troll...

So I'll just stop here...    

Originally posted by MosesZD

Ok I've been waiting for Swtor sense KOTOR 2 came out. I pre-ordered the game in July (CE) and got to play it 7 days early. Now after 2 months I have 4 level 50s (2 on both sides) and have a review.  The Graphics in the game are AMAZING for a MMO and desereve alot of praise. The only thing keeping it from being a 10 is the small amount of graphic bugs that still exist.

9.5?   I'm sorry...  It doesn't even have good graphics for an MMO.    For example, minimum spec are:  ATI X1800 or better* nVidia 7800 or better* Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*    See those cards?   Those cards are 2004/2005 cards.    It's 2012.    There is, btw, a reason those cards are at the bottom.      

It uses Shader 3.0. That's DX9.0c. That came out August 2004. Once again, OP, this is 2012.   The graphics, in this MMO, are EIGHT YEARS OLD.    Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

The textures are muddy, jagged and pixelated.  They, frankly, look more like they were made for an XBox.  I don't mean XBox 360 released in 2003.   I mean old XBox...

Nobody in their right mind could honestly give these graphics a 9.5.   Your review, just on the aesthics, is a complete joke opinion and all I can see is you're just trying to troll...

So I'll just stop here...    

You need to be able to scale to lower end machines, so I can understand just using a DX9 card.  Skyrim does that for example.  Yet I think Skyrim looks better.

Part of the problem is also the engine used for it.  With the exception of DA2, Bioware really puts out inferior graphical products.  (And DA2, while graphically superior, was inferior in every other way.)

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

Originally posted by The_Gekko

Originally posted by Cromagnum119

Graphics: 9.5/10 (7.5/10)

The graphics are fairly nice, but I don't think they hold a candle to graphics from AoC, so they could have been better. I understand the need to cut back on some of the "oomph" to allow playability on a wider range of systems, but the lack of high res textures, the texture bug for medium settings, and that overall "plastic" sheen on everything really hurts this score IMHO.

Combat: 9/10 (6/10)

Lack of autoattack was something different and not a bad idea, but character responsiveness is still an issue, even with a few patch fixes. I agree the animations are well done, but there are quite a few bugs with characters getting stuck in animations after they completed. GDC ghosting still hasn't been fixed AFAIK, and the stunlocking and the badly implemented resolve bar for diminishing returns on PvP chain CC's/stuns hurts the combat experience in PvP.

Sound: 10/10 (10/10)

No complaints here, the music was especially well done.

Costumer Support: 8/10 (7/10)

Only dealt with the ticket system, some were responded to 5-6 days after submission, some never.  Could use improvement.

PvP: 7/10 (6/10)

Can be fun and engaging for some time, but the 3 Warzones get tiresome quickly. I never made it high enough to check out Ilum, so I cannot comment on that, but I am aware of the many issues such as faction inbalance. Most of my gripes in PvP come down to the combat, please see above for the details.

Story: 10/10 (9/10)

I was quite satisfied with the class stories, even though some were more fleshed out than others (and much more interesting). The generic mission stories however could have used a bit more variety, but overall BW shines where they have shined before: Story telling.

Overall: 9.5/10 (6/10)

Definitely needs work, and there is no excuse for some of features missing that have now become standard in nearly all other MMO's: guild bank, universal (global) communication channel, properly functioning AH (GTN), proper character responsiveness, etc. BW had a lot of groundwork to build from and a lot of precedent to learn from, yet they missed the mark on a lot of things.  I have to echo the sentiments of some other posters on here and say that I think BW got too caught up with the VO features and personal stories, and overlooked the bigger picture.

Not trying to discredit your review OP, just wanted to share my feedback in contrast. Good review though overall :)

You hit it pretty well except for in PvP and Combat. Sith animations are favored over Republics, Ilum is unplayable most the time that's the best way I can put it. I only enjoyed warzones up until lvl 50 once I got 50 good bye fun and hello this guy.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT0-OL_71yU