Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swtor...what a let down: the epitome of today's mmos

Comments

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Originally posted by Nazgol

Originally posted by crysent

Originally posted by Dreadblade

Do you even look at the server loads? Huge success, no huge flop yes, we can talk all we want about reveiws, each persons own feeling but in the end it is all about how many people are actually logging on and playing. That is where you measure the true success of the game, does it have the mass appeal to keep players in game.

Sadly enough, and trust me it is not voodoo or smoke and mirrors just go the the official server status link and look at the server loads in the EU and US at prime time. Then form your own opinion on whether or not this game is doing well, not the fact that you like it but is it appealing to the masses and at this point it is not.

I look at the server loads all the time. They don't tell you the number of players and since they increased server capacity, as stated in their earnings call they doubled it per server, it tells you NOTHING. Has there been a decline, yes it's the same with all MMOS, but not as drastic as people make it out to be. Also the website is not as up to date with server loads as the game client itself.

Let's not talk of server loads and population graphs.  Lets just talk of our own experience.  I play Rakata Mind Prison.  The population from my excperience has taken a pretty big hit.  Yes during primetime on certain days its pretty good, but its during off-times where their has been a sizeable drop in population.  Take what you will from what I'm saying for instance a month ago you could get on in the morning and have no problem finding a WZ que or small group on Ilum.  

Now if you get on in the morning (As I often do because I work second shift) WZ que times range from 30 mins to infinite and Ilum has a whole population of 3 republic.

That could be a whole host of things, Holidays are over, kids are back in school, and yes some people did leave.

Sure it could be a whole host of things and it probably is but I suspect (and I have no way of backing this up, obviously) that there has been a sizeable population drop in the amount of people playing AND the length of time they play.  Can't say for certain if the subscription base has been hit or just play time.  Another fair example I think is Ilum lockout.  A few weeks ago this was the norm on my server during primetime (I will say 7-11 CST)  In the last 2 weeks I have not had Ilum lockout once, not one single time..

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by moosecatlol

I wish this game could be more than it is now, I wanted a proper combat system that could support the theme of a jedi vs jedi combat.

Maybe the next star wars game will be better... even though I'm getting tired of waiting.

I honestly do not think we will ever see another Star Wars IP MMO again, so sad, BW had the chance to make something awesome and yet they fell so short.

Thats only your point of view, Belive it or not, is the most successful MMO post-WoW. The 1.2 Update in March will make the game even better and bigger, and they have lots of new additions for the next  6 months, the space combat ¨secret proyect¨ to expand and improved it significantly, guild capital ships, new planets, more pvp content, etc etc etc. In 6 months the game will be just huge. If u dont like is ok, but the game is an HUGE SUCCESS, live with it. 

Except its not...

It sold a lot of box copies, and that is a good thing for them. Retention is another matter.

There are some servers where the population is all right, but from what I've seen and everyone I've heard from most of them are ghost towns.

According to one player in this thread, there is a single server where Ilum works as intended(you could roll there). Most of the other servers the PVP is completely broken.

Game-breaking hacks are in the game(and in many cases have been since beta) and have not/are not being addressed...

Their initial success(lots of box sales) came because they were riding biowares name and the Star Wars brand, but they are riding it into the ground...

Clearly you are not playing the game.  The 2 huge ¨gamebreaker¨ bugs in warzones, had been fixed, they have 1  ¨bug fix¨ patch everysingle week. The people who actually is playing the game know the true state about the game, believe what u want, i wont change anything. 

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

I wish this game could be more than it is now, I wanted a proper combat system that could support the theme of a jedi vs jedi combat.

Maybe the next star wars game will be better... even though I'm getting tired of waiting.

I honestly do not think we will ever see another Star Wars IP MMO again, so sad, BW had the chance to make something awesome and yet they fell so short.

Thats only your point of view, Belive it or not, is the most successful MMO post-WoW. The 1.2 Update in March will make the game even better and bigger, and they have lots of new additions for the next  6 months, the space combat ¨secret proyect¨ to expand and improved it significantly, guild capital ships, new planets, more pvp content, etc etc etc. In 6 months the game will be just huge. If u dont like is ok, but the game is an HUGE SUCCESS, live with it. 

Except its not...

It sold a lot of box copies, and that is a good thing for them. Retention is another matter.

There are some servers where the population is all right, but from what I've seen and everyone I've heard from most of them are ghost towns.

According to one player in this thread, there is a single server where Ilum works as intended(you could roll there). Most of the other servers the PVP is completely broken.

Game-breaking hacks are in the game(and in many cases have been since beta) and have not/are not being addressed...

Their initial success(lots of box sales) came because they were riding biowares name and the Star Wars brand, but they are riding it into the ground...

Clearly you are not playing the game.  The 2 huge ¨gamebreaker¨ bugs in warzones, had been fixed, they have 1  ¨bug fix¨ patch everysingle week. The people who actually is playing the game know the true state about the game, believe what u want, i wont change anything. 

Exactly, they have been pretty good about patching the game, although they sometimes have to patch their patches heh.

In Bioware we trust!

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Do you even look at the server loads? Huge success, no huge flop yes, we can talk all we want about reveiws, each persons own feeling but in the end it is all about how many people are actually logging on and playing. That is where you measure the true success of the game, does it have the mass appeal to keep players in game.

Sadly enough, and trust me it is not voodoo or smoke and mirrors just go the the official server status link and look at the server loads in the EU and US at prime time. Then form your own opinion on whether or not this game is doing well, not the fact that you like it but is it appealing to the masses and at this point it is not.

I look at the server loads all the time. They don't tell you the number of players and since they increased server capacity, as stated in their earnings call they doubled it per server, it tells you NOTHING. Has there been a decline, yes it's the same with all MMOS, but not as drastic as people make it out to be. Also the website is not as up to date with server loads as the game client itself.

My sub still runs till March 17th, so I log in everynight just to check the server status and sorry more light servers then heavy tell the true story, hard to argue facts, but your sig says it all. There is nothing to do at 50 that has not been done better, if I want to raid both WoW and Rift do it better and with more polish. Hell even PvPing in WoW is more fun, at least there is no Valor farming. We still have the door hacks in Voidstar, missing speeders in Alderaan that cause people to be booted out, and a framerate that gets very choppy because of the guns firing. Not to even mention the mess that is Ilum that is just valor farming at it's finest, as another poster has linked.

Lets move onto crafting and the RE bug that is a known issue, have they fixed that yet? Or maybe the crappy speeder that is BoP, humm armormech nothing you can make comes close to the PvP gear which is a huge point of contention here, the PvP battlemaster armor is the best in game. So no point in crafting, what now to do at 50, oh run the same FPs over and over with half the HM broken. Again I could do that in WoW or Rift better, the point is Bioware had a chance to do something really cool and yet all they did was make a 1-50 RPG with a broken PvP system and sub par PvE instances.

It is not just myself that feels that way but I am going to go out on a limb here and say 60% of the people that have tried it have walked away shaking their heads in disbelief.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

My sub still runs till March 17th, so I log in everynight just to check the server status and sorry more light servers then heavy tell the true story, hard to argue facts, but your sig says it all. There is nothing to do at 50 that has not been done better, if I want to raid both WoW and Rift do it better and with more polish. Hell even PvPing in WoW is more fun, at least there is no Valor farming. We still have the door hacks in Voidstar, missing speeders in Alderaan that cause people to be booted out, and a framerate that gets very choppy because of the guns firing. Not to even mention the mess that is Ilum that is just valor farming at it's finest, as another poster has linked.

Lets move onto crafting and the RE bug that is a known issue, have they fixed that yet? Or maybe the crappy speeder that is BoP, humm armormech nothing you can make comes close to the PvP gear which is a huge point of contention here, the PvP battlemaster armor is the best in game. So no point in crafting, what now to do at 50, oh run the same FPs over and over with half the HM broken. Again I could do that in WoW or Rift better, the point is Bioware had a chance to do something really cool and yet all they did was make a 1-50 RPG with a broken PvP system and sub par PvE instances.

It is not just myself that feels that way but I am going to go out on a limb here and say 60% of the people that have tried it have walked away shaking their heads in disbelief.

Yes - A fair point here about crafting (I mentioned this in my OP) - the crafting in this game has some serious flaws, Don't need to specify as I assume everyone posting here is familiar with them.  I to made the mistake of going Cybertech, at 400 I've discovered my crafting skill is completely and utterly useless in all regards.

That's the thing, there are no facts in your statements. There are more standard servers than anything else.  It's just conjecture and opinion, just like the 60% statement. Nothing to back it up with actual data until EA releases their quarterly report.

In Bioware we trust!

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

The game is amazing from 1-50. Hands down the best experience right now. Once you hit 50 you have to do the following:

Dailys, Dailys and more Dailys to get gear and mods.

Lagfest that is Illum pvp.

Park your butt in the fleet and spam general chat for HM's.

Thats it. None of that is fun or even interesting. Maybe if they implemented a dungeon finder system I woudl play again, but being relegated  to the fleet 24/7 to find a group just sucks. And, dailys suck. Same shit over and over again. Not too mention being barely able to move in large scale pvp, even wiht everything on low settings, and I can play skyrim and most other games, mmo included, on max.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

You know, I see these type of post and it makes me wonder what is going on at Bioware.....This is a studio known for doing great games,in general. But if you look at their last two releases DA2 and SWTOR they are nothing but an attempt at pleasing the masses and generate money....they essentially follow the "status quo" of gaming. Nothing really new and its all VERY familiar and tried formulas, they essentially play it safe. But  in the end it feels very generic and uninspiring.....

That's the thing, there are no facts in your statements. There are more standard servers than anything else.  It's just conjecture and opinion, just like the 60% statement. Nothing to back it up with actual data until EA releases their quarterly report.

No facts, here is one for ya that is still not fixed and confirmed by BW:

Here is the article from early Feb hummm, http://torwars.com/2012/02/08/reverse-engineering-success-rate-bugged/

The reverse engineering return rate is not currently working as intended. In an upcoming patch, we are improving the reverse engineering rates – especially for the higher-level items. We are also looking into the issue where a player receives “You already know that schematic” instead of learning a new research variation.

Patrick Malott

Systems Designer

Originally posted by Kuppa

You know, I see these type of post and it makes me wonder what is going on at Bioware.....This is a studio known for doing great games,in general. But if you look at their last two releases DA2 and SWTOR they are nothing but an attempt at pleasing the masses and generate money....they essentially follow the "status quo" of gaming. Nothing really new and its all VERY familiar and tried formulas, they essentially play it safe. But  in the end it feels very generic and uninspiring.....

You can't really blame them can you? They are a business after all.

In Bioware we trust!

No facts, here is one for ya that is still not fixed and confirmed by BW:

The reverse engineering return rate is not currently working as intended. In an upcoming patch, we are improving the reverse engineering rates – especially for the higher-level items. We are also looking into the issue where a player receives “You already know that schematic” instead of learning a new research variation.

Patrick Malott

Systems Designer

I was talking about your premise of server population.  Have not looked at the patch notes to see if they have fixed that bug or not.

In Bioware we trust!

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

To Dreadblade & Nazgol

Is it a small possibility that one of you are looking at the server loads on the US servers and one of you are looking at the European servers?

Just asking since one of you are from UK and the other US and you've got a kinda heated argument about server populations

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Kuppa

You can't really blame them can you? They are a business after all.

Its what usually happens when companies get too big....their goals change from making fun unique games to make money magnets....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by dimmit77

Originally posted by Kyleran

I started late in SWTOR, played none of the beta, and am on my first character, a lvl 32 Commando.

While the story line has been pretty fun, I'm not terribly motivated to level up to 50, mostly because the end game design really doesn't appeal to me.

What parts of it do seem to be somewhat incomplete, so without a strong carrot on  a stick to encourage me I may never make it to the top. (blame my early MMO experiences being Lineage 1/2 and DAOC).

I would rather blame the fact that you are level 32 and you don't like the endgame if thats ok with you.

Well, except the reason I don't like the end game is because it isn't very much like the titles that I cut my teeth on.(and on continue to search for to this day)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Mavacar

To Dreadblade & Nazgol

Is it a small possibility that one of you are looking at the server loads on the US servers and one of you are looking at the European servers?

Just asking since one of you are from UK and the other US and you've got a kinda heated argument about server populations

Actually I look at both, the EU loads have in the past two weeks taken a nose dive, while the US loads have been dropping faster.

For arguements sake, tonight is what Friday night, so there should be a decent population, I know in the past Friday night was packed, lets look at the EU loads say in two hours that should be getting close to primetime correct?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

To Dreadblade & Nazgol

Actually I look at both, the EU loads have in the past two weeks taken a nose dive, while the US loads have been dropping faster.

For arguements sake, tonight is what Friday night, so there should be a decent population, I know in the past Friday night was packed, lets look at the EU loads say in two hours that should be getting close to primetime correct?

I thought EU primetime was early in the morning (CST) since they are always griping about the maintenance time. I could be wrong though.

In Bioware we trust!

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by kakasaki

From the endless reading of negative posts (and my god there have been a lot), my own opinion is that SWTOR suffered from a combination of players having very high expectations (the hype factor) and the fact that is is just another  run of the mill themepark game (even if it was a well made one or not). 

Imo ToR is currently suffering from a lack of love from the designers. You just get the feeling looking at these places they have created that this stuff was made by people who were not enjoying their work. There's no attention to detail, static mute npc's and a heck of a lot of copy/paste.

It just strikes me that they didn't enjoy themselves making it. Compare to the other game which just incites flaming with the ToR crowd and you can plainly see that a lot of love has gone into what they are making.

It's quite sad really. Bioware used to be the Pixar of games to me. :(

Mute NPCS?  When you first arrive on Korriban there are NPCS in an active discussion right in front of you (after you get off the shuttle and past the initial story quest). And these are scattered throughout the worlds. I do wish they were more animated though, I give you that.

In Bioware we trust!

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
  • dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

Originally posted by monarc333

The game is amazing from 1-50. Hands down the best experience right now. Once you hit 50 you have to do the following:

Dailys, Dailys and more Dailys to get gear and mods.

Lagfest that is Illum pvp.

Park your butt in the fleet and spam general chat for HM's.

Thats it. None of that is fun or even interesting. Maybe if they implemented a dungeon finder system I woudl play again, but being relegated  to the fleet 24/7 to find a group just sucks. And, dailys suck. Same shit over and over again. Not too mention being barely able to move in large scale pvp, even wiht everything on low settings, and I can play skyrim and most other games, mmo included, on max.

So..... in which theme park MMO you are doing something differently?

I started late in SWTOR, played none of the beta, and am on my first character, a lvl 32 Commando.

While the story line has been pretty fun, I'm not terribly motivated to level up to 50, mostly because the end game design really doesn't appeal to me.

What parts of it do seem to be somewhat incomplete, so without a strong carrot on  a stick to encourage me I may never make it to the top. (blame my early MMO experiences being Lineage 1/2 and DAOC).

I would rather blame the fact that you are level 32 and you don't like the endgame if thats ok with you.

Well, except the reason I don't like the end game is because it isn't very much like the titles that I cut my teeth on.(and on continue to search for to this day)

If you keep hating end game before you even try it .....you gonna be looking for a mighty long time. 

• Wookiee6648Wookiee6648 Member Posts: 131

Originally posted by crysent

Originally posted by mbrodie

god i hope you bought a fire extinguisher with you...

I've tried to pretend I like it, I've tried to convince guildies leaving to stay..but I can't lie to  myself anymore, this game has some serious problems but more then anything it was just a huge let down..I expected so much more..

Read your post doubt you even played the game at all.    Videos are of other ppl too.

Sad haters are still up to this even after all this time.

• Timeout77Timeout77 Member Posts: 177

To Dreadblade & Nazgol

I thought EU primetime was early in the morning (CST) since they are always griping about the maintenance time. I could be wrong though.

Its gmt +1 and +2 that is euro Prime time its 12:24 now people are off work tomorrow and we have light standard servers.. It has been that way the past 1,5 hours...

So either it is only Elderly people playing who needs to go to bed or young kidds who cant stay up playing.. In Europe...

UK time is 23:24.. so UK players must have stoped playing about 10:00... PM

Dimmit and wookie are both Euros like me and apperently they are not playing Go figure...

True or False?

http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/

The fact that SWTOR has half as many servers as WoW and 8x as many as Rift?    True

The fact that both Rift and WoW have been out for a long time and their population has mostly stabilized?  True

The fact that SWTOR has just come out selling 2.mil copies and just now its population starts to stabilize after people who don't enjoy it leave ?   True

The fact that the game is a failure with 200+ servers?   False

Any other chart? 

• Timeout77Timeout77 Member Posts: 177

True or False?

http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/

The fact that SWTOR has half as many servers as WoW and 8x as many as Rift?    True

The fact that both Rift and WoW have been out for a long time and their population has mostly stabilized?  True

The fact that SWTOR has just come out selling 2.mil copies and just now its population starts to stabilize after people who don't enjoy it leave ?   True

The fact that the game is a failure with 200+ servers?   False

Any other chart? 

why are you not playing.. you need to help push up the Servers ... they are all light and standard!!!!