Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swtor...what a let down: the epitome of today's mmos

Comments

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by grimal

God sounds like an awful terrible game. 

Weird thing is, I am and have been playing it and love it!  Weird how we can have completely contrasting opinions, huh?

lol how about playing to an empty world would you still want to pay a monthly sub if u are the only person playing it....

not saying that it will tho....

food for thought

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by Byteboy

You know every day that goes by I get more and more jaded because I feel like I was majorly lied to and ripped off by BioWare. I mean the IDIOTS at BW thought they would just copy verbatium WoW, put it in a Star Wars universe and all become rich. There is no passion or love put into this game and it's about as stale as day old bread. It is indeed the most boring and uninspired MMO ever created. Don't believe me? See video HERE on how lifeless the world is if your even considering buying this POS.

Holy crap, I had no idea how bad it actually was. I mean, you read about the NPCs being static and all that, but... wow. That's almost embarassing. Compare that to this city here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjLmknda6_Q 

Now THAT'S a living city.

I liked that video, the attention to detail was awesome in that city.

Originally posted by moosecatlol

I wish this game could be more than it is now, I wanted a proper combat system that could support the theme of a jedi vs jedi combat.

Maybe the next star wars game will be better... even though I'm getting tired of waiting.

I honestly do not think we will ever see another Star Wars IP MMO again, so sad, BW had the chance to make something awesome and yet they fell so short.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by Dreadblade

I wish this game could be more than it is now, I wanted a proper combat system that could support the theme of a jedi vs jedi combat.

Maybe the next star wars game will be better... even though I'm getting tired of waiting.

I honestly do not think we will ever see another Star Wars IP MMO again, so sad, BW had the chance to make something awesome and yet they fell so short.

Thats only your point of view, Belive it or not, is the most successful MMO post-WoW. The 1.2 Update in March will make the game even better and bigger, and they have lots of new additions for the next  6 months, the space combat ¨secret proyect¨ to expand and improved it significantly, guild capital ships, new planets, more pvp content, etc etc etc. In 6 months the game will be just huge. If u dont like is ok, but the game is an HUGE SUCCESS, live with it. 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I think most people in this thread a overracting a bit.  Likely as most of these people thought this was going to be the MMO to end all MMO's (which is their own fault).  I don't see too many complaining about the game 1-50 the first time through...which is about a months worth of game time.  So $60 for a month worth of gaming, that would put this game on par with most console games right?  I don't think a month of enjoyable gaming for $60 is the end of the world.

I don't agree with many of the decisions Bio made with this game (Walled in world design, poor optimization and very little replayability due to exactly zero sandbox elements).  And they shouldn't be given a free pass.  But it's not bad to the level that some people are making it seem..well possibly if you are a PvP only person.  However PvP only people should have countless other games, most non MMO's, that do PvP 100% better.  Why are they even playing MMO's if they are true hardcore PvPers?

It appears a good portion of the problem was with people's expectations which resulted in these vehement responses.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Originally posted by hikaru77

Thats only your point of view, Belive it or not, is the most successful MMO post-WoW. The 1.2 Update in March will make the game even better and bigger, and they have lots of new additions for the next  6 months, the space combat ¨secret proyect¨ to expand and improved it significantly, guild capital ships, new planets, more pvp content, etc etc etc. In 6 months the game will be just huge. If u dont like is ok, but the game is an HUGE SUCCESS, live with it. 

Does the success of ToR make it a good game?

Or does it further soil the industry?

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

Except its not...

It sold a lot of box copies, and that is a good thing for them. Retention is another matter.

There are some servers where the population is all right, but from what I've seen and everyone I've heard from most of them are ghost towns.

According to one player in this thread, there is a single server where Ilum works as intended(you could roll there). Most of the other servers the PVP is completely broken.

Game-breaking hacks are in the game(and in many cases have been since beta) and have not/are not being addressed...

Their initial success(lots of box sales) came because they were riding biowares name and the Star Wars brand, but they are riding it into the ground...

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I think you may have to wait a few more months to call this game a HUGE SUCCESS or a MASSIVE FAILURE.

Two months a success or failure do not make. Just take a look at AOC or WAR. At launch they were both a huge success by that logic. Six months down the road was another story.

I hope they improve the game within the next few months. If they do I will likely resub and play again. But past trends suggest that even if they do improve the game alot ( like AOC ) they will still never be as successful as they could have been with a better launch.

And no we will probably never again see another star wars MMO.

Sorry I can't call a game a huge successwhen the server loads have consistently gone from full to standard, at 9:30 PM last night there was 1 very heavy, 9 heavy and get this 19 light, I mean there were more light servers then heavy. One month ago there were full servers with queues,now they can barely get a full server. So lets spin this in correctly, This game could have been a huge success as it stands now it is going down as a huge POS.

More PvP content, I can't wait, I mean they did soo well with the initial PvP content I am chomping at the bit for another round, maybe we will get 10v8 this time instead of 12v8!

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Originally posted by Mardukk

I think most people in this thread a overracting a bit.  Likely as most of these people thought this was going to be the MMO to end all MMO's (which is their own fault).  I don't see too many complaining about the game 1-50 the first time through...which is about a months worth of game time.  So $60 for a month worth of gaming, that would put this game on par with most console games right?  I don't think a month of enjoyable gaming for $60 is the end of the world.

I don't agree with many of the decisions Bio made with this game (Walled in world design, poor optimization and very little replayability due to exactly zero sandbox elements).  And they shouldn't be given a free pass.  But it's not bad to the level that some people are making it seem..well possibly if you are a PvP only person.  However PvP only people should have countless other games, most non MMO's, that do PvP 100% better.  Why are they even playing MMO's if they are true hardcore PvPers?

It appears a good portion of the problem was with people's expectations which resulted in these vehement responses.

A few points I would like to make:

Part of the Hype is on bioware/EA not just the gamers.  Sure we (gamers) tend to get excited sometimes overly so  - but when a company uses one of the most recognized IPs in the world and spends the highest budget ever for a game at release you tend to have high expectations.

From your very own post you say that TOR provides roughly 1 month of decent playtime...dude...that sucks.  Your telling me with a budget of over a quarter BILLION DOLLARS your perfectly fine with 1 month of playtime?  that's crazy.  There are independent MMO's with 1/10th the budget and more content at release then TOR. 

My next point: I believe PvP is best done when done in the form of an MMO.  Most people who enjoy PvP don't necessarily consider themselves 'hardcore'  (not even sure what this means) but myself, I prefer ENDGAME PvP over endgame PvE.  In a game like Star Wars where the core story, the ENTIRE CORE STORY revolves around good vs evil, Sith vs Jedi, Light vs Dark you tend to expect a decent PvP system..I mean c'mon...its star wars.  Instead we are given Huttball and Box farming.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

Except its not...

It sold a lot of box copies, and that is a good thing for them. Retention is another matter.

There are some servers where the population is all right, but from what I've seen and everyone I've heard from most of them are ghost towns.

According to one player in this thread, there is a single server where Ilum works as intended(you could roll there). Most of the other servers the PVP is completely broken.

Game-breaking hacks are in the game(and in many cases have been since beta) and have not/are not being addressed...

Their initial success(lots of box sales) came because they were riding biowares name and the Star Wars brand, but they are riding it into the ground...

Everyhting I have seen is showing it's a sucess. Of course I have no data to back it up, just what people are telling me and what I am seeing in game.

In Bioware we trust!

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

Originally posted by crysent

I wanted to like Swtor, hell, I wanted to love it.

My friends I regularly game with and I had been hyped about it's release for a year, after all not only was it the ever popular star wars genre (I was a child of the 80's so Star Wars always has a special place in my heart) but it was Bioware -  a solid studio with a great reputation for making sold, fun, games.  They had gone all out budget wise - everything seemed in place!

Open beta was fun...everything seemed as it should and I was excited for release.

At relase all my friends were all in we were playing way more then we should (drawing the wife agro often).  Then around late January we started hitting 50 and that's when it all fell apart.

At 50 (or current end game) it is literally complete crap.  PvP is utterly and completely flawed in this game at 50.  From a republic perspective lvl 50 pvp consist of either running warzone over and over and over and over and over and over trying to get your daily done, what makes this even more sad is 9 out of 10 times its huttball (just thinking of huttball makes me vomit)

Even worse, the ultimate slap in the face, quite possibly the worst pvp I've ever taken part in...Ilum.  My god this place is horrid.  What usually happens is I fly into Republic base where we have a grand population of....8! yes 8 republic with the zone locked for population... that means a whooping 92 imperials vs 8 republic.  We are then traped inside our base in a lag filled zerg fest which consist of us pulling them into our base cannon (if we are lucky enough to have a vanguard) and them trying to lure.pull us into their zerg.  Granted this is fun for nobody. Nobody. not republic and not imps.

Don't believe me? here's a video of what I experience any given day I travel to Ilum:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGI9ys-yxKM&feature=related

The result?  Kill trading.  That';s right, you want to get your weekly/daily done (the only way to get your armor sets) you have to take part in kill trading..how epicly star wars is that?  this is where imps and reps organize and just exchange killing eachothers groups to finish their daily/weekly quest.  Don't believe me? here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgTaWNP2HJ0

So maybe Star Wars is a PvE end game type game?  or for crafters? ERRRRRRNNNNNNNN wrong.  The next big problem with star wars is gear - Nothing and I mean Nothing in the game gear wise compares to the PvP gear (expertise bonus) the battlemaster set is the only set worth having. period.  There are NO random drops in HM flashpoints/raids that even slightly compare with the pvp sets. Nothing.  In fact, ironically my guild was running a HM lvl 50 flashpoint and a pair of lvl 11 leather gloves dropped from a boss...ermm..

As for crafting it suffers from the same problem there is absolutly no set of armor or weapon or mod a player can craft that is even slightly as good as the PvP set. Nothing. nada. the only crafting skill worth having is biochem, that's it and that's all anyone has.  I was dumb enough to raise my cybertech to 400, I was thinking I would be able to craft some cool speeders and sell them...guess what? I could craft one junky looking speeder that was bind on craft. that's right, the one unique speeder I could craft, that gave no bonus over the speeder you can buy I coulden't even sell because its bind on craft...WTF???

That's it - that is what end game consist of.  There is no real fun to be had here.  I will admitt on one HM flashpoint at 50 my guild group had fun trying to take down the boss, he dropped crap (of course) but thats essentially it.

I truly have no idea what Bioware was thinking for PvP - Ilum is a complete disaster.  It doesn't need minor tweaks, it needs to be completely redone.  Huttball needs to be deleted as I think if I must run it again I will truly commit suicide.  Unforunatly my guild has been bleeding members for the last 2 weeks, as have my server population.  Que times for huttball have gone up signifigantly in the last week or so.

I can't be the only one that expected so much more out of this game, out of bioware.  Yes the voice over is cool, but that's it.  In game with such an epic history and story (light vs dark, good vs evil, jedi vs sith) we instead are given huttball and kill trading..

Goodbye and can I please have your stuff ?

Part of the Hype is on bioware/EA not just the gamers.  Sure we (gamers) tend to get excited sometimes overly so  - but when a company uses one of the most recognized IPs in the world and spends the highest budget ever for a game at release you tend to have high expectations.

From your very own post you say that TOR provides roughly 1 month of decent playtime...dude...that sucks.  Your telling me with a budget of over a quarter BILLION DOLLARS your perfectly fine with 1 month of playtime?  that's crazy.  There are independent MMO's with 1/10th the budget and more content at release then TOR.  He only paid $60-150 depending on the version.

My next point: I believe PvP is best done when done in the form of an MMO.  Most people who enjoy PvP don't necessarily consider themselves 'hardcore'  (not even sure what this means) but myself, I prefer ENDGAME PvP over endgame PvE.  In a game like Star Wars where the core story, the ENTIRE CORE STORY revolves around good vs evil, Sith vs Jedi, Light vs Dark you tend to expect a decent PvP system..I mean c'mon...its star wars.  Instead we are given Huttball and Box farming.  The pvp is fine, Huttball is way better than voidstar.

In Bioware we trust!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I started late in SWTOR, played none of the beta, and am on my first character, a lvl 32 Commando.

While the story line has been pretty fun, I'm not terribly motivated to level up to 50, mostly because the end game design really doesn't appeal to me.

What parts of it do seem to be somewhat incomplete, so without a strong carrot on  a stick to encourage me I may never make it to the top. (blame my early MMO experiences being Lineage 1/2 and DAOC).

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Do you even look at the server loads? Huge success, no huge flop yes, we can talk all we want about reveiws, each persons own feeling but in the end it is all about how many people are actually logging on and playing. That is where you measure the true success of the game, does it have the mass appeal to keep players in game.

Sadly enough, and trust me it is not voodoo or smoke and mirrors just go the the official server status link and look at the server loads in the EU and US at prime time. Then form your own opinion on whether or not this game is doing well, not the fact that you like it but is it appealing to the masses and at this point it is not.

Do you even look at the server loads? Huge success, no huge flop yes, we can talk all we want about reveiws, each persons own feeling but in the end it is all about how many people are actually logging on and playing. That is where you measure the true success of the game, does it have the mass appeal to keep players in game.

Sadly enough, and trust me it is not voodoo or smoke and mirrors just go the the official server status link and look at the server loads in the EU and US at prime time. Then form your own opinion on whether or not this game is doing well, not the fact that you like it but is it appealing to the masses and at this point it is not.

I look at the server loads all the time. They don't tell you the number of players and since they increased server capacity, as stated in their earnings call they doubled it per server, it tells you NOTHING. Has there been a decline, yes it's the same with all MMOS, but not as drastic as people make it out to be. Also the website is not as up to date with server loads as the game client itself.

In Bioware we trust!

Originally posted by Nazgol

From your very own post you say that TOR provides roughly 1 month of decent playtime...dude...that sucks.  Your telling me with a budget of over a quarter BILLION DOLLARS your perfectly fine with 1 month of playtime?  that's crazy.  There are independent MMO's with 1/10th the budget and more content at release then TOR.  He only paid $60-150 depending on the version.

My next point: I believe PvP is best done when done in the form of an MMO.  Most people who enjoy PvP don't necessarily consider themselves 'hardcore'  (not even sure what this means) but myself, I prefer ENDGAME PvP over endgame PvE.  In a game like Star Wars where the core story, the ENTIRE CORE STORY revolves around good vs evil, Sith vs Jedi, Light vs Dark you tend to expect a decent PvP system..I mean c'mon...its star wars.  Instead we are given Huttball and Box farming.  The pvp is fine, Huttball is way better than voidstar.

Yes, I supposd PvP is 'fine', that's probably a great way to sum up TOR altogether in-fact...it's 'fine' ..gameplay is fine, pvp is fine, PvE is fine, crafting is fine.  The problem is that for many of us we expected soooooo much more then fine.  fine I can find in almost every other AAA mmo on the market, I'm sick and tired of fine.

TOR can be summed up as fine and safe.

Oh, yea -Huttball is way better then Voidstar, but that says more about how bad PvP is in this game then how good it is.

Yes, I supposd PvP is 'fine', that's probably a great way to sum up TOR altogether in-fact...it's 'fine' ..gameplay is fine, pvp is fine, PvE is fine, crafting is fine.  The problem is that for many of us we expected soooooo much more then fine.  fine I can find in almost every other AAA mmo on the market, I'm sick and tired of fine.

TOR can be summed up as fine and safe.

And that is Bioware's fault how? becuase you expected more? You could have checked out the Beta, videos and other things around the net and had a pretty firm grasp on what the game was like.

In Bioware we trust!

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Open beta was fun...everything seemed as it should and I was excited for release. 

I can't be the only one that expected so much more out of this game, out of bioware. 

My question to you is, why didn't you recognize at least some of these shortcomings before you paid for the game?

Gamers have got to start recognizing the telltale signs of garbage games beforehand, otherwise we'll just keep getting fed more of the same garbage.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by blondeh

I've never witnessed kill trading on portnowhere just massive pvp battles. 

Ah well another farewell thread. Why do people think they are so important that we care about why THEY dont like a game. Can u (mmorpg.com) put all these good bye good riddance threads into one sub forum or something. They are clogging up the boards for people that play the game to chat....oh wait no one here plays SWTOR because their all too good for the game and cant wait for there next fix (GW2).

Yawn

That will not happen . They will be emoing these boards untill the new big MMO comes out and they move there to continue their emoing. When GW2 or TSW comes out these boards will quiet down and start having meaningfull threads by people who actually play and enjoy the game. Just check boards like Vanguard , Rift or AoC etc at launch and now.

[mod edit]

I look at the server loads all the time. They don't tell you the number of players and since they increased server capacity, as stated in their earnings call they doubled it per server, it tells you NOTHING. Has there been a decline, yes it's the same with all MMOS, but not as drastic as people make it out to be. Also the website is not as up to date with server loads as the game client itself.

Let's not talk of server loads and population graphs.  Lets just talk of our own experience.  I play Rakata Mind Prison.  The population from my excperience has taken a pretty big hit.  Yes during primetime on certain days its pretty good, but its during off-times where their has been a sizeable drop in population.  Take what you will from what I'm saying for instance a month ago you could get on in the morning and have no problem finding a WZ que or small group on Ilum.  

Now if you get on in the morning (As I often do because I work second shift) WZ que times range from 30 mins to infinite and Ilum has a whole population of 3 republic.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

First off, le tme start by saying that I really enjoy the game. However, I never really gave into the hype of the game. The fact is that most people had some pretty unrealistic expectations of what the game was going to be. I mean, I think I learned my lesson from SWG that just because a game has the license doesn't make it immediately great. However, I do think TOR is fun for a lot of the players and admittedly, I'm a bit of a casual MMO'er. I don't play 12-16 hours and see how fast I can reach level cap. I'm really not into PvP. So for me, I just don't see a lot of the shortcomings that many of you see.

However, I want to stress this. The game has been out for two months. It likely has somewhere between 1-2 million subscribers (and yes, I think it's on the lower end of that). If this was any other game, we'd be calling that a huge success but likely because of the money that was put into the game, many players are calling this a failure. I mean, Mortal Online has 2,000 subs and people are ready to throw a parade.

The bottom line is that I have faith that Bioware is going to make the game better. Let's face it, Bioware hasn't really let us down yet, have they? So, I'm going to give the the benefit of the doubt and assume they're going to improve the game. But if not, you know what, I'm actually enjoying the game right now and I don't know how long that will last but when I' no longer having fun. I'll quit subscribing and put the game down for a little bit and come back a few months later. But I"m not ready or even understand why eople are ready to bury this game.

Originally posted by dimmit77

Originally posted by blondeh

I've never witnessed kill trading on portnowhere just massive pvp battles. 

Ah well another farewell thread. Why do people think they are so important that we care about why THEY dont like a game. Can u (mmorpg.com) put all these good bye good riddance threads into one sub forum or something. They are clogging up the boards for people that play the game to chat....oh wait no one here plays SWTOR because their all too good for the game and cant wait for there next fix (GW2).

Yawn

That will not happen . They will be emoing these boards untill the new big MMO comes out and they move there to continue their emoing. When GW2 or TSW comes out these boards will quiet down and start having meaningfull threads by people who actually play and enjoy the game. Just check boards like Vanguard , Rift or AoC etc at launch and now.

[mod edit]

Right - because the ONLY meangingful threads are those by people who are happy with the product.  and what does "emoing" even mean?   Is that supposed to be some cute webism?  (Yes I'm familiar with emo, just wasn't aware it was now a verb being thrown around in MMO's to represent dissatisfaction with a product.)

Let's not talk of server loads and population graphs.  Lets just talk of our own experience.  I play Rakata Mind Prison.  The population from my excperience has taken a pretty big hit.  Yes during primetime on certain days its pretty good, but its during off-times where their has been a sizeable drop in population.  Take what you will from what I'm saying for instance a month ago you could get on in the morning and have no problem finding a WZ que or small group on Ilum.  

Now if you get on in the morning (As I often do because I work second shift) WZ que times range from 30 mins to infinite and Ilum has a whole population of 3 republic.

That could be a whole host of things, Holidays are over, kids are back in school, and yes some people did leave.

In Bioware we trust!

Originally posted by Kyleran

I started late in SWTOR, played none of the beta, and am on my first character, a lvl 32 Commando.

While the story line has been pretty fun, I'm not terribly motivated to level up to 50, mostly because the end game design really doesn't appeal to me.

What parts of it do seem to be somewhat incomplete, so without a strong carrot on  a stick to encourage me I may never make it to the top. (blame my early MMO experiences being Lineage 1/2 and DAOC).

I would rather blame the fact that you are level 32 and you don't like the endgame if thats ok with you.