Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's Titan going F2P?

Redon1973Redon1973 Member Posts: 33

http://www.develop-online.net/news/39915/New-Blizzard-game-to-be-free-to-play

So, is Titan going to be free? That would be enough to plant Blizzard on top of the MMO heap for the forseeable future...... probably force SWTOR to follow suit.

Comments

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if they do like turbine and allow people to pay a monthly fee to avoid all the cash shop nonsense it would be fine for me.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Redon1973

So, is Titan going to be free? That would be enough to plant Blizzard on top of the MMO heap for the forseeable future...... probably force SWTOR to follow suit.

I doubt Blizzard only have one or two games in development

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Didn't really see them mention anything about such direction, but they didn't deny ever going F2P.

And talking about "if we come up with a game that fits the model", i'm quite certain they've begun the production of "Titan" already, so in my eyes, it won't adopt F2P.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

blizards dota is f2p, nothing is even known about titan yet..  people atleast should get facts straight instead of spouting even more rumous

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Smikis

blizards dota is f2p, nothing is even known about titan yet..  people atleast should get facts straight instead of spouting even more rumous

I call it "selective reading" lol

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

That article could have been w riten better by a high school student. Not to mention it's all heresay. The OP took the bait hook line and sinker though.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by Smikis

Well it's pretty safe to say that Titan will be a facebook game, I don't see Blizzard releasing another full on PC MMO that would compete with WoW.

I really don't see FB users dishing out 50 bucks + 15/month to play a game either. That model just isn't adapted to the new "social" platform everyone's drewling over these days.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Eh...? Aren't you forgetting something else.

<-- Hint, hint.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I wonder if that's "Free-to-play" as in cash shop for content beyond a certain level or for items that you can't compete without or more like the Guild Wars 2 "Buy-to-play" model where you pay for the game and can play without a subscription and the cash shop is cosmetic only?

Be curious to see the actual model.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Conspiracy theory - it will attempt to copy more modern mmos. I can see a mix of copied gw2 and tsw features.

(Treat this as superr crazy and not too serious XD)

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

IMHO Blizzard and every other company will be watching Anet after it releases its game, and will adapt accordingly,  If GW2 is as succesful as many of us hope, then we may see a swing in how developers deliver their future MMO products, and will have to justify how they can charge Subscriptions.  From where I'm sitting and what I've seen so far, GW2 is looking very sweet and very polished with possibly the best bang for your buck you could ask for.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

If a silly mount can sell for 25$ in a subscription based MMO, just imagine the wodnerful prices They could get away with in a F2P game. Yeah. No. Thanks. I'll pass. 

Originally posted by biggarfoot

IMHO Blizzard and every other company will be watching Anet after it releases its game, and will adapt accordingly,  If GW2 is as succesful as many of us hope, then we may see a swing in how developers deliver their future MMO products, and will have to justify how they can charge Subscriptions.  From where I'm sitting and what I've seen so far, GW2 is looking very sweet and very polished with possibly the best bang for your buck you could ask for.

It's amazing if you think about it actually. Blizzard have been running b2p for YEARS and not charged a cent for Diablo, Diablo 2, Starcraft and Starcraft 2 Battle.net. That stuff can't be cheap....or can it?

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Personally I don't think.its titans as titans is already in the wroks it said " and create both subscription and freemium titles." I believe it's something new. Maybe they will follow aion, " truly free " to play.

RIP Orc Choppa

Originally posted by Magnetia

It's amazing if you think about it actually. Blizzard have been running b2p for YEARS and not charged a cent for Diablo, Diablo 2, Starcraft and Starcraft 2 Battle.net. That stuff can't be cheap....or can it?

Yes your right, Its amazing also that they are not MMO's either.

But they are supporting the networks through box sales though aren't they? Agreed they obviously aren't mmos and don't take the same storage but there must still be some cost to maintaining them. Millions of small actions sent back and forth from the server could be likened somewhat to an mmo in terms of activity.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

But they are supporting the networks through box sales though aren't they? Agreed they obviously aren't mmos and don't take the same storage but there must still be some cost to maintaining them. Millions of small actions sent back and forth from the server would be likened somewhat to an mmo in terms of activity.

Think because b-net servers just store your password and some other administrative stuff, not exactly sure do they store any maps inside, so the bandwidth useage I believe is much much lesser compare to a persistent world like mmo.

RIP Orc Choppa

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

Originally posted by itchmon

if they do like turbine and allow people to pay a monthly fee to avoid all the cash shop nonsense it would be fine for me.

Just like they did with WoW.. oh wait!

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

I bet it's gonna be a one-time buy. Blizzard will no title claim F2P, I can assure you that.

But they are supporting the networks through box sales though aren't they? Agreed they obviously aren't mmos and don't take the same storage but there must still be some cost to maintaining them. Millions of small actions sent back and forth from the server could be likened somewhat to an mmo in terms of activity.

Your missing the point, I was not discussing or mentioned  CORPG's, RPG's, FPS, and Stratergy games.  I'm refering to MMO's and what direction other companies will take if GW2 is succesful with their non subscription MMO.

Your missing the point, I was not discussing or mentioned  CORPG's, RPG's, FPS, and Stratergy games.  I'm refering to MMO's and what direction other companies will take if GW2 is succesful with their non subscription MMO.

Ahh yea. I see now. I think lol XD

Originally posted by arctarus

But they are supporting the networks through box sales though aren't they? Agreed they obviously aren't mmos and don't take the same storage but there must still be some cost to maintaining them. Millions of small actions sent back and forth from the server would be likened somewhat to an mmo in terms of activity.

Think because b-net servers just store your password and some other administrative stuff, not exactly sure do they store any maps inside, so the bandwidth useage I believe is much much lesser compare to a persistent world like mmo.

I think the only game where they host maps is SC2 - I can't really say about the others now. Don't know if they updated them to fit battle.net 2.0. We need to bribe some accountants or something to get numbers.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201

Um no just shows that blizzard knows they are loseing subs and fans by the minute cause they keep ruining their own games!

diablo 3 fail

wow past vanilla fail

starcraft 2 fail

hmmmmmmmmmm.....Failing companies always go f2p!

Millions of blizzard fanboys commited suicide upon this news.

BABABABAHAHABAHABAHABAH I love it blizzard death is coming finally they deserve it for fucking up my favorite games the old blizzard team that made the good games is long gone anyway to better games.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Originally posted by zephermarkus

Um no just shows that blizzard knows they are loseing subs and fans by the minute cause they keep ruining their own games!

diablo 3 fail

wow past vanilla fail

starcraft 2 fail

hmmmmmmmmmm.....Failing companies always go f2p!

Millions of blizzard fanboys commited suicide upon this news.

BABABABAHAHABAHABAHABAH I love it blizzard death is coming finally they deserve it for fucking up my favorite games the old blizzard team that made the good games is long gone anyway to better games.

Yeah all three of those games have failed...........

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Article fails to mention that Sony "embraced" free to play because they failed to make a game worth paying for in DCUO.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.