Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you buy stock in CCP?

SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/21/eve-online-saw-66m-in-revenue-last-year-mulls-ipo/

"In fact, the Icelandic company’s CEO Hilmar Veigar Petursson says an IPO is a possibility, though predictably, he wouldn’t commit to anything."

""

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

Comments

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

No. The fact they are looking for more capitol worries ,e.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

I also wouldn't dust seems off target and quite silly. I would wait to hear meaningful direction from them to invest.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Joliust

The purpose of going public is to raise capital so the company can expand.  Why is that worrying?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

No.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

No way would I buy stock in EVE.  The Goons would probably figure out a way to scam everyone out of their money. 

After all it seems that they not CCP actually run things in EVE.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    CCP should give some shares to old players that pay allot of moneys to them :)

BestSigEver :P

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

No i do not trust CCP especially after all the cash shop crap... Monocle.

Lolipops !

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

Yes, I would. Mostly because it, to me, looks like a solid investment. CCP's been growing steadily since they started out, so yeah.

With more funds, they could possibly push DUST and WOD out quicker, which leads to more revenue. So, again, yeah.

Besides that, though, I can't see what they'd need the money for. But I don't see CCP going bankrupt within at least the next 5-10 years.

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Yes.

CCP has a great track record in business and have grown steadily each year.  They also have plans to link some projects together like Dust and Eve.  I have also heard of another project they would like to link in to that same group.  I think this is the future of MMO's.  Instead of building one big MMO, build one part at a time and launch them separately but link them.  Imagine if SWTOR had cut out the crappy space part and only asked for $12 a month in sub fees.  Then a year or two later they added a new game like tie fighter and linked it into SWTOR.  You could just play the space game or you could buy both and interact with the same char in both. 

Expansions are nice but releasing entirely new games and linking them makes so much more sense.  If a person wants to play the latest expansion pack in WoW, they also have to buy Wow.  With linked games, you could just buy the part you liked like the FPS part that runs on a planet.  You dont lose the money from expansions because the same people who are playing the main game and wanted to buy the expansion are still going to buy it.  But this way you also get money from those that didnt like your first game and want to try the new content.

CCP is also doing a lot of interesting stuff with technology and their server farm that other developers are keeping an eye on.  The something-something IO and the newest time dilation project could add a new dimension in MMO's if it all comes together and gives you a lag free 1000 on 1000 person fight.

They are also one of the few game developers out there where the CEO comes out and apologizes when they feel they made a mistake.  Unlike some indie developers with a whopping 2000 subscribers.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by dave6660

The purpose of going public is to raise capital so the company can expand.  Why is that worrying?

It has to do with the other recent events, and having investors means pressure from the owners(who may or may not be knowledgeable in the industry), leaves them open hostile takeovers if they do not maintain a majority share. It just worries me that they are releasing an IPO. Gaming companies are usually not a good investment anyway.

I hope it works out for them, I want to see WoD launch.

Remember too with investments, to make money you have to anticipate what most dont. If people expect the company to do well then the price of the stock will be set for that. If you expect them to do well and most don't, that's were decent profits are made. In general the stock market is gambling no matter what people may say. Stock prices are far more affected by fear and enthusiasm of buying and sellers than by reality.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Nah, they are probably looking to scam their investors after seeing so many successful IPO scams in game.

In seriousness i would buy stock in CCP. EVE has grown every year since launch. Unless Dust fails hard i dont see a bad reason to invest in a company that has seen continual growth since its inception.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Nope, their customer-base is too volatile and their executives and staff makes too many public mistakes that cause backlash.

Plus, I personally think Dust is going to be a massive turd.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I wouldn't as their whole revenue stream is based on one product, if blizzards Titan proved to be a half decent space MMO with proper flight and PvP for example then your investment is screwed
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by dave6660

It has to do with the other recent events, and having investors means pressure from the owners(who may or may not be knowledgeable in the industry), leaves them open hostile takeovers if they do not maintain a majority share. It just worries me that they are releasing an IPO. Gaming companies are usually not a good investment anyway.

I hope it works out for them, I want to see WoD launch.

Remember too with investments, to make money you have to anticipate what most dont. If people expect the company to do well then the price of the stock will be set for that. If you expect them to do well and most don't, that's were decent profits are made. In general the stock market is gambling no matter what people may say. Stock prices are far more affected by fear and enthusiasm of buying and sellers than by reality.

This right here!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Hmmm CCP... NO

What with monocle gate, the fact that they had to implement so many appeasements to garner back the communities goodwill they themselves admitted to losing. Just smacks of developer HUBRIS.

I think CCP has a long road to really gaint he players trust again.

Also, making a new ip thats dedicated to the least played console system is rather short-sighted. I play my PS3 less and less every month and generally use it for just playing blue-rays, but i mean i barely watch DVDs anymore as it is, almost eveything i view is streamed now. Its cheaper to pay for movies streamed on my x-box through Zune videos.

But yeah no i would not consider investing in CCP, if you had asked me this about ANet 1 month ago i would have said HELL YEAH, but now after so many issues with the cash shop crud i would hold off on that also.

Lolipops !

• notmexnotmex Member Posts: 43

Where do you get "they have grown each year?" I started my toon in 2005, and have never seen the server population that high since. I haven't played much, probably a total of a year in that time. But, grown? No.

I also heard something about them laying off people last summer. Then Sony for Dust.

Sorry. this game caters to the few, and sux for the majority.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Short the stock at best. Not something to keep long term. EVE online is pretty much a niche market. Little growth potential.

• SoopamanSoopaman Member Posts: 65

I would not buy stock in CCP. I dont like their business model. They only appeal to a small portion of the MMo market. 

The Gaming Community Can Kiss My Arse

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

No. Risk is too high and expectation of profit too low.

There is no sign there will be any further "significant" growth to be expected with Eve. Dust is probably a failure with gooing console. And noone knows anything about WoD except a one minute video.

I respect what they achieved with Eve but I would never buy any CCP stock based on current info.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Originally posted by Draemos

Nope, their customer-base is too volatile and their executives and staff makes too many public mistakes that cause backlash.

This  /thread.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Soopaman

I would not buy stock in CCP. I dont like their business model. They only appeal to a small portion of the MMo market. 

A portion that is both loyal and expanding.
  • notmexnotmex Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Soopaman

A portion that is both loyal and expanding.

Expanding, yea right. Ummm, no.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Another thing was World of Darkness would come with perma-death merchanics. I don't think that will appeal to the mass market (nowadays you need mass market appeal).  I am not sure if the mechanic will be an option or applied to all servers. Hopefully it will be an option (like optional perma-death servers). Again, World of Darkness has potential but right now the IP is too much still niche. I am sure CCP will be profitable but I don't think they will reach critical mass market potential. However the game will definitely appeal to fans of the developers and/or fans of the White Wolf franchise.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by Liddokun

Another thing was World of Darkness would come with perma-death merchanics. I don't think that will appeal to the mass market (nowadays you need mass market appeal).  I am not sure if the mechanic will be an option or applied to all servers. Hopefully it will be an option (like optional perma-death servers). Again, World of Darkness has potential but right now the IP is too much still niche. I am sure CCP will be profitable but I don't think they will reach critical mass market potential. However they will appeal to fans of the developers and/or fans of the White Wolf franchise.

Only the Prince of each major city will have the ability to inflict perma death. This Prince is elected by the players so I doubt a griefer will ever have access to the ability. Also WoD will only have one server (like Eve) so no varying rulesets on multiple servers.

You're most probably right about this game not appealing to the masses though, at least I hope so. That being said, we're talking about vampires here and the vampire myth has always been extremely popular.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Charas

Originally posted by Liddokun

Another thing was World of Darkness would come with perma-death merchanics. I don't think that will appeal to the mass market (nowadays you need mass market appeal).  I am not sure if the mechanic will be an option or applied to all servers. Hopefully it will be an option (like optional perma-death servers). Again, World of Darkness has potential but right now the IP is too much still niche. I am sure CCP will be profitable but I don't think they will reach critical mass market potential. However they will appeal to fans of the developers and/or fans of the White Wolf franchise.

Only the Prince of each major city will have the ability to inflict perma death. This Prince is elected by the players so I doubt a griefer will ever have access to the ability. Also WoD will only have one server (like Eve) so no varying rulesets on multiple servers.

You're most probably right about this game not appealing to the masses though, at least I hope so. That being said, we're talking about vampires here and the vampire myth has always been extremely popular.

Ccp has such a wonderful track record with players in lofty positions of authority acting in mature and measured ways though. There would certainly never, ever, be an issue for me to put my trust in getting perma-killed as long as the community currently witnessed in EvE is present to balance the players power and position.

What I am trying to say ... is I completely trust my time, effort, and attachments to the kind of player(s) that CCP currently calls customers. The system isn't final though, lets hope they choose to implement this player lead system of perma death instead of something that is MUCH less sensible.