Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Vanguard is going F2P period. Not just in Europe.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

I said this months ago.  The only reason to double the dev team was to add content and fix bugs for a f2p launch.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Great news, F2P typically means they'll actually start working on a title a little. One can hope, VG has great potential, all it needs is some love, and players.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Fantastic news, absolutely fantastic. 

Much as I've enjoyed playing some of the recent MMO releases, usually all they do is make me realize how good VG is.  Luckily it's still a bit of a looker, especially on a modern rig with everything maxed. 

A well-tended, and even properly finished and even - dare we hope? - expanded VG could still be a true "home" for many old skool MMO lovers.  It's been neglected, but the gameplay and lore (and world!) has such depth and richness that all it needs is for devs to really give it a good going over to make it run absolutely smoothly - I mean a lot of work was done at one point after the disastrous launch, but it's still always been a bit too shakey for general consumption.

Fingers crossed it all goes well, because I'd resub like a shot if the pop was buzzing.

I truly believe that if they tightened the game's performance up, and finished some of the unfinished bits, this game could be a huge "sleeper" hit as an f2p game.

I like SWTOR a lot, despite the fact that it's been criticized by "old MMO hands";  but judging from many of the complaints, the game many of its critics are looking for is VG (well, gameplay-wise at least).

• Skaara55Skaara55 Member Posts: 42

About time, the sooner the better.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I guess if that means we actually get active devs again, that would be great.

Other than that, I'm no fan of F2P and if there is no P2P option, I will stop playing.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Great news! Will definitely give this another try then :)

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Ingvar

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=515291

This is the best news i have  heard in a long time regarding MMOS. i always thought Vanguard would get lot more players if it goes F2P. SOE you are awesome.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Superduper69

This is the best news i have  heard in a long time regarding MMOS. i always thought Vanguard would get lot more players if it goes F2P. SOE you are awesome.

b4 you call SOE awesome....wait untill the shops open up.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Great news, now let's just hope they don't butcher it in F2P transition the way they did EQ2.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Distopia

Great news, F2P typically means they'll actually start working on a title a little. One can hope, VG has great potential, all it needs is some love, and players.

I supect that, in SOE's case, it just means that they will work on the cash shop.

I love VG, and EQ for that matter, but I just can't find any trust or goodwill in what SOE says or does anymore.

VG should be made totally free, like the mac EQ, IMO, if for nothing else then to say thanks to all the fans that have paid in and got nothing back except server access over the years.

I think I will just sit back and wait for AA now for this type of game... it's basicially Vanguard 2 anyhow.

Originally posted by oubers

Well cash shops are given..it is F2P model after all. ATleast i will finally get to play with more players this time around.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Great news, at least I hope it works out that way.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

great news, crafting in Vanguard is better than in quite a few of the more modern MMO's too, Sony/SOE has taken a lot of stick last few years, im not saying its been undeserved, but, kind of wondering if this is just part of a step to improve corporate image, rather than corporate profits, if this goes well, along with planetside 2...  then SOE/Sony may well become one of my favourite MMO developers once again.image

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

going f2p..about bloody time too,but they better had,nt be greedy like eqx,that was monstrous..i just hpe they do it right..the game deserves it and the die hard players do as well.hopefully it will bring a few new peeps into the game.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

I'd be interested in this game if it had PvP. As it stands it's just a PvE sandpark, boring.

Originally posted by Charas

I'd be interested in this game if it had PvP. As it stands it's just a PvE sandpark, boring.

Yeah it is PVE focused, and it is damn good at it.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by kevjards

going f2p..about bloody time too,but they better had,nt be greedy like eqx,that was monstrous..i just hpe they do it right..the game deserves it and the die hard players do as well.hopefully it will bring a few new peeps into the game.

The model won't be too far off from EQ2.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

For those many who say they would play a sandbox if it didn't have FFA PvP, this is it, they don't even have to pay for it.
  • zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by RefMinor

For those many who say they would play a sandbox if it didn't have FFA PvP, this is it, they don't even have to pay for it.

*hands over flamesuit*

You are gonna need it.

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Any PvP yet in vanguard?

Originally posted by RefMinor

+1

Although i don't mind spending money in cash shop.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I've been waiting for this for a long, long time. Even if they do give it the same treatment as EQ2 where you have to pay if you want to wear anything from endgame it would certainly be worth it to me so long as the cost for playing reasonably doesn't exceed $15/mo. However, I personally would rather see it with LoTRO's original incarnation of a cash shop (before statted gear showed up).

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by oubers

Well cash shops are given..it is F2P model after all. ATleast i will finally get to play with more players this time around.

well yeah.......you will be ably play for "free" untill you want to go some place that requires a payment (and then you pay 20 bucks for it if you want to do it) .....while the sub is 15 bucks.....guess who is making more money again on a game thats been in the bottom drawer of SOE?

There hasnt been a single patch since 2010.....so no thnx (and i realy loved this game to death once).

First they show the game love with a fiew patches and then i might come back.

Making it F2p just gets more cheap people who need their mmo-fix instead of people who care about the game and its community.

imho it's all going down hill.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Imo they are at least 6 years too late, lets face it its a game with a couple of years already lets call it old,  only a very few amount of players will go play Vanguard and even less will continue playing.

Not saying its a bad game.