Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC slump kills HP / Dell.

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/22/technology/hp_earnings/index.htm

"As PC sales swooned, Hewlett-Packard said Wednesday that its profit fell by a dramatic 44% while sales sank 7% in its fiscal first quarter, ended Jan. 31."

I'm sure most of you know how to build your own computer. However, like in MMORPGs, we represent a tiny fraction of a game's player base.

The ultimate decline of our genre is inevitable. I wonder what it will be like 10 years from now...

Comments

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by mmoDAD

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/22/technology/hp_earnings/index.htm

"As PC sales swooned, Hewlett-Packard said Wednesday that its profit fell by a dramatic 44% while sales sank 7% in its fiscal first quarter, ended Jan. 31."

I'm sure most of you know how to build your own computer. However, like in MMORPGs, we represent a tiny fraction of a game's player base.

The ultimate decline of our genre is inevitable. Just hope that the next major console release supports mouse and keyboard.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of HP and Dell are survinging on gov and education bulk sales. Not to mention PC gaming has always been say to decline since late 80s. I believe PC gaming now is way stronger than the past. Also, I think a lot of gamers nowadays are more into those custom build machines.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

There will always be a market for hobbiest, even if it becomes a niche market, the only sad part will be that we may see the end of pc games made by the developers who will turn to other devices like consoles and handhelds. The market will move on  and so will the users.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Having just had a power supply die in an HP computer that is about 2 years old, and having the pleasure of experiencing their customer service - or lack there of (if your warranty has expired, they seriously refuse support & charge for your phone call if it is).. i'm quite glad to hear they have been losing money lol.

On that note I don't think they are a very good example to point towards a decline in PC gaming popularity, they are just a terrible company. I'll definetly never buy any of their products again.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

In 10 years time webgames, code on cloud only screen and reciever needed no hardware anymore.

PC desktop will be first to dissapear then laptops and future we will have tablets phones or big screens in your home.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Why are you so concerned with an over priced thing as an off the shelf computer like those sold by Dell and HP?  It is so easy to build your own these days it can almost be done blind folded.    It also far cheaper to build your own and it'll be way more powerful than the ones you can buy from HP or Dell.

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Oh look, another PC's are dying post. Been seeing those for how long now?

The original proliference of desktop PC's was nothing more than our inability to miniaturize until more recently. In an ideal situation, I wouldn't be pulling 200W from the wall just to post a reply in this forum. The only thing my home desktop should be doing is gaming. Everything else should be handled by notebooks, netbooks, smartphones, etc. All those desktops that aren't being sold anymore? They're being replaced by the aforementioned.

The only household segment that doesn't have a true replacement is the most processing-intensive - gaming. Except that gaming computers are often upgraded, not replaced, and by budget-conscious people. So yeah, big box computer sellers like HP and Dell, who are either peddling non-upgradable/proprietary-upgradable computers, or just plain overpriced ugprade parts are up a creek.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by just2duh

Having just had a power supply die in an HP computer that is about 2 years old, and having the pleasure of experiencing their customer service - or lack there of (if your warranty has expired, they seriously refuse support & charge for your phone call if it is).. i'm quite glad to hear they have been losing money lol.

On that note I don't think they are a very good example to point towards a decline in PC gaming popularity, they are just a terrible company. I'll definetly never buy any of their products again.

I deal with all of the major manufacturers almost on a daily basis and I can tell you HP is actually one of the more helpful ones. If you think they are bad try Acer, Dell or Toshiba. They are all like this now. Asus seems to be the only one that kinda stands above the rest but not by very much. All of the major computer companies' tech support and warrenty services suck big time these days.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

With the adoption of Common Core State Standards in all schools nationwide, and the subsequent need for all standardized testing to be computer-adaptive by 2014...

... PC companies are going to do just fine.  Huge government grants are on the way.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Pretty sure i read that HP/Lenovo/Dell were the top PC sellers last year when you take out the falsely inflated numbers caused by people lumping tablets in as actual PC's (trying to find the source)