Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PEOPLE HOW THINK THE GAME IS CRAP READ THIS

Hey guy how think this is a peice of messed up crap with no PvP heres a message are you guys stupid read the faq you can only be the elves drawfs hobbit and humans not orc and troll so u guy think that human would go up to and elf and kill him. and plus give the dev team a break if they did PvP they would have almost be out another year there are going to be mounts in the expansion

Comments

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    So far the screenshots look nice, and hey its freakin Tolkien. If it's good I'll be playing. No pvp? Hmm I thought Orcs greifing hobbits on the outskirts of the shire would have been right in line with the books. image

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Originally posted by anarchyart
    So far the screenshots look nice, and hey its freakin Tolkien. If it's good I'll be playing. No pvp? Hmm I thought Orcs greifing hobbits on the outskirts of the shire would have been right in line with the books. image

Even though it might not quite fit the story (I've only seen the movies so I couldn't say for sure), PvP is still FUN. I'd rather play a fun GAME than a complete simulation of Middle Earth where I have to work, eat, generally do nothing all day.

And PvP wouldn't need to be open every where like your example. There would be specific areas or gaurds around or have people who turn "evil" and fight each other. There has to be some kind of solution other than completely ignoring PvP.

Either way I'll still be playing ::::28::

• magebornmageborn Member Posts: 122

im guessing u never read the books lol. There are humans on the side of evil who loved to kill elves...
    Before flameing people maybe u should gather all the info u can.

• SephinSephin Member Posts: 13

I unfortunately think lord of the rings online will be crap. Read this and tell me it wont be.

The plot of the game is based on Tolkien’s well-known trilogy and transfers you into a fantasy world, full of exciting adventure and magic beings. You have an opportunity to choose whether to become the rescuer of Middle-earth and save it from the grip of Evil, or to take the Dark Side and bring chaos and destruction all over Middle-earth.

In Lord of the Rings Online Game eleven races, empowered with magical abilities and armed with a deadly weapon, will strive for supremacy. Remember that strategic planning and tactical cunning are instrumental in your goal to be the undisputed ruler of Middle-earth!

The game will give you an incredible combat experience with sanguinary duels and splendid team combats up to the last man standing. However, if you crave for a business experience – Lord of the Rings Online Game can provide you with such. You can plunge into buying, selling and re-selling items to attain considerable wealth, enjoy on-line shopping benefits and bank services. Lord of the Rings Online Game will endow you with marvelous opportunities to score an ultimate triumph both in business and bellicose world.

Playing Lord of the Rings Online Game is like eating one peanut – it’s practically impossible to stop. Rich gameplay, original characters and unforgettable experience – all these unite LOTR online game players.

Sharpen your swords and embark on a journey through a world where dreams are reality and the supernatural is natural. Win the One Ring and make your day!

• Sparky2004Sparky2004 Member Posts: 75

There's no good reason you shouldn't be able to play the evil races, other than limited dev scope and ambition. As for further delaying the game, they did that already scrapping all the work well into development and announcing among other things... no PVP!

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by Sephin

I unfortunately think lord of the rings online will be crap. Read this and tell me it wont be.
    The plot of the game is based on Tolkien’s well-known trilogy and transfers you into a fantasy world, full of exciting adventure and magic beings. You have an opportunity to choose whether to become the rescuer of Middle-earth and save it from the grip of Evil, or to take the Dark Side and bring chaos and destruction all over Middle-earth.
    In Lord of the Rings Online Game eleven races, empowered with magical abilities and armed with a deadly weapon, will strive for supremacy. Remember that strategic planning and tactical cunning are instrumental in your goal to be the undisputed ruler of Middle-earth!
    The game will give you an incredible combat experience with sanguinary duels and splendid team combats up to the last man standing. However, if you crave for a business experience – Lord of the Rings Online Game can provide you with such. You can plunge into buying, selling and re-selling items to attain considerable wealth, enjoy on-line shopping benefits and bank services. Lord of the Rings Online Game will endow you with marvelous opportunities to score an ultimate triumph both in business and bellicose world.
    Playing Lord of the Rings Online Game is like eating one peanut – it’s practically impossible to stop. Rich gameplay, original characters and unforgettable experience – all these unite LOTR online game players.
    Sharpen your swords and embark on a journey through a world where dreams are reality and the supernatural is natural. Win the One Ring and make your day!

LOL

Next time try checking out the actual game the forum is dedicated to..

http://lotro.turbine.com/

YOU went here...http://www.lord-of-the-rings.org/lotr_game.html

• Jd1680aJd1680a Member Posts: 398

I dont know why having a game with no pvp is such a heart break.  Most players are attacted to games that have good amount of content.  Open pvp does seem to be very limited in actual content within the game.  Lineage 2 a game that is in good example show this.

Also funny how this game is immediately judged as crap since havent even been past beta yet.  This game could be very fun and exciting when it comes, even if had no pvp.  So lets not judge it so fast.

Have played: CoH, DDO EQ2, FFXI, L2, HZ, SoR, and WW2 online

• FotSFotS Member Posts: 12

Ask me, no PvP is a bad thing.

PvP allows a lot of things to happen:
    1) A dynamic game. If players are constantly fighting over territory/supremacy, it almost guarantees an ever changing environemnt
    2) A distraction from the grind
    3) A much more interesting battle, where you can't predict your opponents every move.

If you look at games like CoH, the PvE becomes stale very fast. Even with AMAZING AI (I'm talking above HL2 AI here) the mobs can still become predictable, which is no fun.

• Jd1680aJd1680a Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by FotS

1) A dynamic game. If players are constantly fighting over territory/supremacy, it almost guarantees an ever changing environment

Actually I dont mind this in an pvp game, that brings a point into the game instead of killing someone just for no real cause.  Tho these games just dont have sieging, they also have monsters and quests that could be done.  If they were to create an "off" switch so players could log on and enjoy hunting a few monsters, I wouldnt mind playing a game that do have pvp on single bit.

You know you be surprised that some people dont really care about leveling.  They only care about playing the game and what the game have to offer.  Leveling isnt content nor does it bring any more satisfaction to any game if you are able to cruise to the cap within two weeks.

3) A much more interesting battle, where you can't predict your opponents every move.

I dont believe this one bit.  In pvp, there is no such thing as an interesting battle.  Ganking someone at your level or slightly higher then you when he is 10% in his health, or killing someone who is much weaker then you is something I dont call interesting.  Fair fights doesnt seem to happen in pvp games,  players will use the highest advantage they can to kill another player without any chance of dying.  Yeah you cant predict the your opponent every move because you be dead to fast.

If you look at games like CoH, the PvE becomes stale very fast. Even with AMAZING AI (I'm talking above HL2 AI here) the mobs can still become predictable, which is no fun.

You still have the wrong idea on how MMOGs are suppose to be played.  Hunting and killing monsters all day isnt content.  Its the quests that developers give you to do is the real fun.  In non pvp the developers are constantly adding new content for players to do.  I know and met people who dont care about killing monsters or leveling.  They only care about the content that is involved with the game.

Have played: CoH, DDO EQ2, FFXI, L2, HZ, SoR, and WW2 online

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

I love how people always bring this up as a compelling arguement for why PvP is better than PvE. Truth be told, PvP quickly becomes just as predictable as PvE, simply because the vast majority of players tend to play classes the same way; once the best 'build' for a class is discovered, everyone tailors their characters to that build. The same can be said about skills/abilities used in combat as well.

The vast majority of opponents I've PvPed against simply use the same tired attack patterns over and over again, just like a 'predictable' PvE mob. And I'm only talking about moderately fair fights here--don't get me started on the gankers 10 levels or more above you that have nothing better to do than to give you a hard time.

• simsimasimsima Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Jd1680a

1) A dynamic game. If players are constantly fighting over territory/supremacy, it almost guarantees an ever changing environment

Actually I dont mind this in an pvp game, that brings a point into the game instead of killing someone just for no real cause.  Tho these games just dont have sieging, they also have monsters and quests that could be done.  If they were to create an "off" switch so players could log on and enjoy hunting a few monsters, I wouldnt mind playing a game that do have pvp on single bit.
    You know you be surprised that some people dont really care about leveling.  They only care about playing the game and what the game have to offer.  Leveling isnt content nor does it bring any more satisfaction to any game if you are able to cruise to the cap within two weeks.

I dont believe this one bit.  In pvp, there is no such thing as an interesting battle.  Ganking someone at your level or slightly higher then you when he is 10% in his health, or killing someone who is much weaker then you is something I dont call interesting.  Fair fights doesnt seem to happen in pvp games,  players will use the highest advantage they can to kill another player without any chance of dying.  Yeah you cant predict the your opponent every move because you be dead to fast.
    You still have the wrong idea on how MMOGs are suppose to be played.  Hunting and killing monsters all day isnt content.  Its the quests that developers give you to do is the real fun.  In non pvp the developers are constantly adding new content for players to do.  I know and met people who dont care about killing monsters or leveling.  They only care about the content that is involved with the game.

I have too agge with u there i play lineage2 and without the pvp side of this it would get old real fast i love the fact uve got ppl fightin over castles its wot makes it funimage
  • ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312

Tolkien is probably tossing in his grave : No, I don't have anything against any of you, I just think it will be a flop like other media to game protryals (sp?). This is not meant to be a an insult of any kind, just my opinions witnessed herein.

• cpt.Balerioncpt.Balerion Member Posts: 61

2) A distraction from the grindYou know you be surprised that some people dont really care about leveling. They only care about playing the game and what the game have to offer. Leveling isnt content nor does it bring any more satisfaction to any game if you are able to cruise to the cap within two weeks.

uh, I'm playing RPGs for many years (I was also playing D&D on paper with friends) and RPG is about quests, story AND leveling, but everything this I have in EVERY singleplayer RPG like Baldur's Gate, Morrowind, etc... so when I'm gonna play MMORPG I want something MORE, I don't want ONLY online chat with another ppl, I want freedom... geez man I'm not big fan of pvp, I want to enjoy the game itself, BUT I WANT THE CHOICE TO PARTICIPATE IN PVP! MMORPG without PvP today is RIDICULOUS

so far LOTR:O looks like Baldur's Gate:
    1.)only 1 side of the conflict (the good side of course)
    2.)no pvp, no conflict with other players
    3.)only important players will be those in ur group (other players will be like NPC (oh in LOTR:O u have a great option... u can chat with other players.. so u'll have graphical chat for only 15$ monthly fee)
    but there's 1 difference... for Baldur's Gate (and other singleplayer RPGs) u don't have to pay every month to play multiplayer...

Lord of the Rings has ABSOLUTELY HUGE potential, but I won't be the fool who'll buy million datadiscs to finally enjoy LOTR
    Turbine is really ticking me off with this, I want to PLAY FULL LOTR:O I don't want ONLINE DEMO!

3) A much more interesting battle, where you can't predict your opponents every move.I dont believe this one bit. In pvp, there is no such thing as an interesting battle. Ganking someone at your level or slightly higher then you when he is 10% in his health, or killing someone who is much weaker then you is something I dont call interesting. Fair fights doesnt seem to happen in pvp games, players will use the highest advantage they can to kill another player without any chance of dying. Yeah you cant predict the your opponent every move because you be dead to fast.

oooh of course, killing computer controlled mobs is really fun
    oh of course other ppl r taking every advantage to win... wake up kid, that's a life... u can take the advantage also if u'll start thinking little bit
    and of course it's too difficult for devs to make some restrictions to pvp... (have u played DAOC? DAOC has the right pvp (rvr) system that'll fit LOTR perfectly... see? there's already really good pvp system so it's not so hard to make it...)

LORD OF THE RING: ONLINE need PvP and BOTH sides of conflict! I don't want MILLION datas, I want to buy LOTR and PLAY IT with everything important that SHOULD be there! Turbine is acting like THIEF! Using LOTR's potential to make fools from players!

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Well, this thread is realy interesting - some people have realy good ideas and some realy... dont.

A good game has just the right combination of PvP and PvE. I strongly oppose open PvP on all servers, like in Eve, but if there are several PvP servers like WoW then thats perfectly fine, some people actualy do enjoy open PvP ( I did for a while ). In my opinion, perfect game is the one that gives options, that is flexible to the point that it can accomodate everyone, casual and hardcore players, grinders and roleplayers, gankers and masochists... A fairly good example is WoW, a game that did not bring anything innovative, but rather used most good sides of MMORPG games - leveling, questing, pvp, pve, casual and hardcore (to some level) gameplay.

When I play a game, i love having a choice, If i feel like killing mobs or doing quests, i do that, or if I feel like PvPing or building my house or defend a castle or blah blah blah. TO make that is a lot of work, no doubt, but if the game is limited to PvE or PvP, or it just has high end content with huge low and mid level grind then that game is very limited and is not that enjoyable to the majority of people..

My formula of a perfect game:

(lots of content)+(lots of casual player gamestyle) + (some pvp)+(some tradeskills) + (a bit of everything else)

I hope all the game developing companies learn from WoW and implement a more casual gameplay with more and more diversity and content.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• Xblack7sunXXblack7sunX Member Posts: 1

this is not meant to be a PvP game retards, its supposed to revolve around Roleplaying.

• Frosting_53Frosting_53 Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by darquenblade

I love how people always bring this up as a compelling arguement for why PvP is better than PvE. Truth be told, PvP quickly becomes just as predictable as PvE, simply because the vast majority of players tend to play classes the same way; once the best 'build' for a class is discovered, everyone tailors their characters to that build. The same can be said about skills/abilities used in combat as well.

The vast majority of opponents I've PvPed against simply use the same tired attack patterns over and over again, just like a 'predictable' PvE mob. And I'm only talking about moderately fair fights here--don't get me started on the gankers 10 levels or more above you that have nothing better to do than to give you a hard time.

Very well said. Thats the truth of it, after so long pvp DOES become pve. The certain class is gonna use the same attack routine over and over against certain said class. Ive expirienced it myself its just the same as pve although it takes a while to realize it. In daoc(arguably the best pvp mmorpg on the market right now) i slowly got bored of it. I used to love the adrenaline i would get from pvp fights but it IS the same thing over and over and over and over.

1)Search for enemy, find them and engage them.

2)Jump on the assist train to target healers.

3)Preform side style chain(class techniques for a bm in daoc)while the other class's in group do there routine(interrupt spells to cancel out enemy healers/crowd controllers, root enemy tanks etc.) kill target healer assist target caller for new target. Rinse and Repeat. While the other group is doing the same thing to us.

Same thing for me wheni was playing WoW with my warrior:

1)Charge enemy player

2)Hamstring and beat on

3)Intercept

and maybe the occasional pummel depending if its a magic caster. PvP in mmorpgs does indeed become as predictable and just as fun as pve is after so long. Once that cookie cutter build is made its the same thing over and over like Darquen said. If i want pvp ill play a first person shooter, there anything can happen i have to be on my toes. In mmorpgs the most fun i have is getting a few friends and leveling up. Not to say i dont like pvp in mmorpgs i do but i honestly dont really find it much more enjoyable then pve. Needless to say in not bothered LotR Online will not have pvp ;P.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Well, I think the decision to not have PvP is a small piece of proof that maybe they arent just trying to horde in the money for this game.  If they really were out for a cheap buck, they would make a pathetic attempt at PvP and claim the PvP is awesome.  Instead, they are flat out letting the community know that there will be no PvP in this game; something that interests the minority group of roleplayers...  Something that very very very few games do, because after all, who would ever want to help the minority...?  Thats not where the money is.

So really, not having PvP shows where this game's loyalty lies.

At least they didnt make a pathetic attempt at PvP like SWG & MxO just to get some cash from the PK kiddies.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• Wolfpack75Wolfpack75 Member UncommonPosts: 43

Originally posted by wormywyrm
    Well, I think the decision to not have PvP is a small piece of proof that maybe they arent just trying to horde in the money for this game. If they really were out for a cheap buck, they would make a pathetic attempt at PvP and claim the PvP is awesome. Instead, they are flat out letting the community know that there will be no PvP in this game; something that interests the minority group of roleplayers... Something that very very very few games do, because after all, who would ever want to help the minority...? Thats not where the money is.
    So really, not having PvP shows where this game's loyalty lies.
    At least they didnt make a pathetic attempt at PvP like SWG & MxO just to get some cash from the PK kiddies.

Well said.
    I don't see Tolkien's world as one that would encourage PvP. I certainly don't have any desire to play an orc or troll (and am puzzled why anyone would want to) as they seem very limited in roleplay potential.

I hope the devs stick to their guns and never add PvP in a later expansion. It would be nice to see a MMORPG that doesn't cave to the vocal minority and in the process ruin the game for the majority of players.

• DevoraanDevoraan Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by Sparky2004

There's no good reason you shouldn't be able to play the evil races, other than limited dev scope and ambition. As for further delaying the game, they did that already scrapping all the work well into development and announcing among other things... no PVP!

dude, PvP sucks anyway for the most part, and the evil orcs, trolls, uruks, they all had no will to do anything other then serve eat and die.  Thats as far as that goes.

the devs arfe following the books, not the movie, not the art of the movie, nor the music, or voices, meaning it is all from the book, making this a much more tolkein experiance.image

ok, the devs are doing theyre best to make a game for US to play, not them, US, so yes, this game will be for people that loved the books, and not for skilless whining babies that like killing other people just cause they want to feel superior. image

go play DDo if it will fill your need for PvP and gaming, but if you spend this much time in these forums to whine about no PvP, there are alot of games that allow you to greif other players.image

• DarktaniaDarktania Member Posts: 805

Originally posted by darquenblade

Very well said. As soon as a advantageous skill/ability/trait is discovered the griefers focus on this and perfect it simply for causing grief. They could give a care less about roleplaying.

For PvP to be done correctly you need a community that behaves in a mature manner. But seldom do you find a mmorpg community thats 100% mature. There's always a group of pre-teen griefers that play at least 10 hours a day and have capitalized on every attribute/skill/class secret.

This is why I'm glad there's not going to be any PvP in this game. I'll actually get to play the game without worrying about some Elf killing me for no reason. Like that ever happened in Rivendell.

• cromulentcromulent Member Posts: 20

Hate to tell you but a well role-played pvp is about the best experience in a MMORPG. Why should there be "fair" fights in PVP? There aren't "fair" fights in war or real life. The war in LOTR wasn't a "fair" fight. Players will ALWAYS provide a more realistic and difficult to overcome threat than AI. It is possilbe to have a well structured pvp with serious consequences for those who kill their own kind. Faction penalties could easily be set up that would ostricize kinslayers to the point where they could not even enter their own town to get supplies or train. Though there may not be orc players at the moment their should be. Not having that is the biggest mistake they have made so far (and I have read everything Tolkien has written on Middle Earth multiple times). Orcs are fun to roleplay and if you read the books have lots of adventures and fights of their own.

• RadshakRadshak Member UncommonPosts: 36

I really don't think pvpers are a huge minority as you think they are, look at the hundreds of open pvp servers worldwide in World of Warcraft.  Just in World of Warecraft North American  pvp  servers you probably have more people playing population  than a lot of other mmorpgs player bases combined.

If Lords of the Rings doesnt want pvp in their game that is fine with me.   I wont play a game that doesn't have pvp.    I think no pvp  hurts Turbine.   They will be competing with Everquests playerbase, not so much WoW or other pvp type games.  It's just a game along the same lines of EQ...  no worries here that it will not support pvp.

• DarktaniaDarktania Member Posts: 805

Originally posted by cromulent

Hate to tell you but a well role-played pvp is about the best experience in a MMORPG. Why should there be "fair" fights in PVP? There aren't "fair" fights in war or real life. The war in LOTR wasn't a "fair" fight. Players will ALWAYS provide a more realistic and difficult to overcome threat than AI. It is possilbe to have a well structured pvp with serious consequences for those who kill their own kind. Faction penalties could easily be set up that would ostricize kinslayers to the point where they could not even enter their own town to get supplies or train. Though there may not be orc players at the moment their should be. Not having that is the biggest mistake they have made so far (and I have read everything Tolkien has written on Middle Earth multiple times). Orcs are fun to roleplay and if you read the books have lots of adventures and fights of their own.

If they eventually offer Evil races then I'm all for RvR. I can see Orcs and Elves fighting. I just cant see Hobbits massacring one another on a daily basis. Also I cant see why a Hobbit would want to.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by MMHEL
    Hey guy how think this is a peice of messed up crap with no PvP heres a message are you guys stupid read the faq you can only be the elves drawfs hobbit and humans not orc and troll so u guy think that human would go up to and elf and kill him. and plus give the dev team a break if they did PvP they would have almost be out another year there are going to be mounts in the expansion

Spelling is your friend.....

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

ya it sucks that you cant play orc's ::::16:: but i would like to say that just because you think that pvp is the most important aspect in a mmorpg dosent mean everyone els does.

that said..... i wont be playing this game because of no pvp, i am a pvper....but does that mean this game will be crap? just because i like to pvp? no it dont..... plenty of people like to pvp and plenty of ppl like to pve....we are all different, and not every game will be molded the way you want it. there are plenty of games that offer pvp out there, go play them! ::::23::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....