Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would a f2p model look like?

ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I'm having trouble envisioning how a f2p model of VG could financially work due to:

- the seemless world: if they place new content in a seemless world, how exactly would they prevent you from accessing it?

-pay 2 win: if this is the model than the core of the game would change dramatically and not in a good way imo

The only thing I can come up with is:

- cosmetic items

- pay for races

I'm not sure that would increase dev funding enough to show the marked improvement the game would need.

What are your thoughts on a workable f2p VG model?

Comments

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

They should leave it as is for a pay model and just put an actually effort into making it better. Most people would pay for it if they put a little effort into it.

the other thing would be to take it down, spend some money and time and redo half of it and release it once its 100% as Vanguard 2. Obviously keeping the way the game mechanics work and keeping it hard.

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

They could probably do something similar to EQ2.

Certain Classes available to F2P.

Cleric, Warrior,  Ranger,  Sorcerer

Certain Races Available

Wood Elf, Half Elf, Gnome, Mordebi, Thestran, Halfling,  Dwarf

Limited number of backpacks for F2P.

Lack of housing for F2P

No Boat for F2P

Limited mounts. Horses only maybe?

All dungeons and zones available but can not equip or loot epic raid drops?

There are things they could do, if they choose to.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by Howry

They could probably do something similar to EQ2.

Certain Classes available to F2P.

Cleric, Warrior,  Ranger,  Sorcerer

Certain Races Available

Wood Elf, Half Elf, Gnome, Mordebi, Thestran, Halfling,  Dwarf

Limited number of backpacks for F2P.

Lack of housing for F2P

No Boat for F2P

Limited mounts. Horses only maybe?

All dungeons and zones available but can not equip or loot epic raid drops?

There are things they could do, if they choose to.

Nice, I hadn't thought of some of that....but I bet no looting of epics would be a sh*t storm of complaints. So for SOE, that makes it seem more likely..../wink.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by snoop101

They should leave it as is for a pay model and just put an actually effort into making it better. Most people would pay for it if they put a little effort into it.

Except that history has shown this to be 100% false, and why they stopped working on VG in the first place

• trouser03trouser03 Member UncommonPosts: 33

A shit storm of complaints would imply many were playing, which would be good! Looking forward to coming back once it goes FTP and really looking forward to seeing a bunch of toons running around that huge world.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Follow NCsofts lead true F2P Everything available but a cash shop.  A true F2P and not Pay to win would work for vanguard because people who would buy stuff will buy it regardless but people who wont will not even try it with EQs and EQ2s f2p model.

• X-PorterX-Porter Member Posts: 229

Any F2P model Vanguard might adopt would closely mirror EQ2.

SOE seems quite happy with how that has worked out. There is absolutely NO reason to believe they would do anything else.

So, yes you would be looking at locked Races and Classes. Locked bag slots and banks as well, most likely. If I were to guess, Freeps would have access to each continent's basic Human race plus it's Elves and Furries (just as an example, since all continents share those races).  You'd be looking at basic Fighter-Mage-Rogue-Priest classes as well. Buy the rest in the shop.

As a disclaimer here, I would like to add that I don't find the EQ2 model to be terribly invasive. I paid the one-time for a Silver membership, and have since upgraded to a Station Pass to cover my interest in Vanguard (mainly) ,EQ, EQ2 ,and PotBS.

Vanguard is one of the few MMOs on the market worth a monthly sub, IMO. It's kind of sad that this is the way the market is headed, but as long as they were to adopt a reasonable "Gold-Silver-Bronze" model I would keep playing. Even with the Freeps...  ;P