Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Vault Reports 50% Increase In Sales

2»

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I have no dog in this fight, but I watch the threads on MO.  I find it kind of interesting.  When data they put out on their financials in negative, people jump on them like hawks.  When they post something positive, people are quick to dismiss them.  Very interesting dynamic.  I guess there are some who are very selective in believing information from the same source depending on which side you fall on.  (This goes for the reverse also:  good v. bad and bad v. good)

I self identify as a monkey.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I have no dog in this fight, but I watch the threads on MO.  I find it kind of interesting.  When data they put out on their financials in negative, people jump on them like hawks.  When they post something positive, people are quick to dismiss them.  Very interesting dynamic.  I guess there are some who are very selective in believing information from the same source depending on which side you fall on.  (This goes for the reverse also:  good v. bad and bad v. good)

perfect example of this sort of behaviour is when they quote 1 new player who posts a bad experience of mo completely ignoring the 5 or so other threads in the same section were new players had a good experience.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

They also said that the sales of new licenses are now at the same level they were on Q1 2011.

As far as I know, MO was losing subcriptions back then. So I think it's reasonable to assume, that even with the current speed of selling new games, they'd be unable to hold the subscription numbers they had at the beginning of last year.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Don't play this game, never will.  I don't like MMOFPSs...I read these forums for the lulz.  I have no dog in this fight either, but there is a huge difference.  The "negative" report people are referencing is SVs official legal financial data.  The "positives" people are referencing is BS marketing by SV.  Months ago, GM Theia was posting here saying how subs were up, blah blah blah...a period covered by the official financial data which said otherwise.  When challenged for data, there was only silence...so when someone from SV says something, it's not hard to understand why no one believes it.

How hard would be to say "we now have xxx more subscribers than we did Dec 31, 2011"?  There's a reason marketing BS like the OP's quote use percentages instead of actual numbers.  Also, more people playing <> more subscribers, since AFAIK there is a free trial program.

TL, DR version:  more of poo is still poo.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

Don't play this game, never will.  I don't like MMOFPSs...I read these forums for the lulz.  I have no dog in this fight either, but there is a huge difference.  The "negative" report people are referencing is SVs official legal financial data.  The "positives" people are referencing is BS marketing by SV.  Months ago, GM Theia was posting here saying how subs were up, blah blah blah...a period covered by the official financial data which said otherwise.  When challenged for data, there was only silence...so when someone from SV says something, it's not hard to understand why no one believes it.

How hard would be to say "we now have xxx more subscribers than we did Dec 31, 2011"?  There's a reason marketing BS like the OP's quote use percentages instead of actual numbers.  Also, more people playing <> more subscribers, since AFAIK there is a free trial program.

Well its not really an MMOFPS its an RPG with FPV. like ultima underworld etc.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• WollkneulWollkneul Member Posts: 17

The quote of Star Vault is as official as their legal financial data.

So actually what you are saying is, that Star Vault is lying? If you're not saying this, then whats the difference between the sources?

So if Star Vault itself says "We are loosing subs" you call that official and legal financial data.

If Star Vault says "We are gaining subs" you call that out as illegal or unofficial, or what?

It's also untrue, that GM Theia posted in another time period. When GM Theia posted this it was the same time span, as the quote states as a growing in subs.

Just the people here said that GM Theia would lie, because the financial reports for Q4 (what was before the time span) stated otherwise.

"More of poo is still poo"

If you wouldn't have a dog in this fight you wouldn't need to use that kind of rude language.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by Wollkneul

So actually what you are saying is, that Star Vault is lying? If you're not saying this, then whats the difference between the sources?

So if Star Vault itself says "We are loosing subs" you call that official and legal financial data.

If Star Vault says "We are gaining subs" you call that out as illegal or unofficial, or what?

It's also untrue, that GM Theia posted in another time period. When GM Theia posted this it was the same time span, as the quote states as a growing in subs.

Just the people here said that GM Theia would lie, because the financial reports for Q4 (what was before the time span) stated otherwise.

If you wouldn't have a dog in this fight you wouldn't need to use that kind of rude language.

Missed the point. The financials statement is a legal document that public corporations must report to shareholders. As such, fudging the numbers could get you into a ton of hot water with regulatory agencies (not to mention shareholders). One would assume that if a company is going to take the risk and lie in their financial statement, it would be to say they are making a profit and not that they haven't made a dime.

The figure thrown around about population % increase comes straight out of a PR message that has not legal binding (or numbers) to support it. Hence, much easier to fudge with the numbers...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

They can't lie in the quarterly financials without risking jail and/or heavy fines, and if they lied in those, it would be to make the game look better, not worse.  Making random statements not under oath with percentages and not real numbers (like the financials have) is not legally binding.

GM Theia did say in this thread http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4596038#4596038 about the Q3 financials back in early December that population was up when Q3 and now Q4 financials say otherwise, and Q4 financials came out WELL after this statement.  Unfortunately for you, this stuff is easy to find here and can't be deleted by SV to try and hide previous statements.

If you think "poo" is rude language, you might want to stay off the internet in the future.  No, I don't give a rat's rear end about this game, but after seeing how this company behaves with people like GM Theia representing it, I can see why it gets so much hate.

• sandboxluvsandboxluv Member Posts: 56

They can't lie in the quarterly financials without risking jail and/or heavy fines, and if they lied in those, it would be to make the game look better, not worse.  Making random statements not under oath with percentages and not real numbers (like the financials have) is not legally binding.

GM Theia did say in this thread http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4596038#4596038 about the Q3 financials back in early December that population was up when Q3 and now Q4 financials say otherwise, and Q4 financials came out WELL after this statement.  Unfortunately for you, this stuff is easy to find here and can't be deleted by SV to try and hide previous statements.

If you think "poo" is rude language, you might want to stay off the internet in the future.  No, I don't give a rat's rear end about this game, but after seeing how this company behaves with people like GM Theia representing it, I can see why it gets so much hate.

Exactly......  This is what fanbois do not get.  SV officials have been caught in lies.  When Henrick somes out and says we have %%%%% more than whenever.  Why not give an actual number??

When the financial report comes out saying that sales have gone up and we see it with the actual numbers then the fanbois will have somethign to say.  Until then after every finacial subs go up but then the next financial says it doesn't but then they say the numbers have gone up now so you can not take what the LAST financial says...  LOL it is a never ending circle.  One day they may get it right.

But what you have said is the logical truth but remember a fanboi does not understand logic.

I mean if you need more info and more graphs to show SV's income has been going down and down event ho they have cut costs (fired 20 people).

Read this.

http://markets.ft.com/Research/Markets/Tearsheets/Financials?s=STVA%20B:STO

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

1 million to 1.5 million is alot but from 100 to 150 is not, nice try,

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

We dismiss them when they post something positive until there is something tangible to back them up. There is a reason for this. Simply look at the OP's post history, this is not the first time he's tried to state something like this. Everytime he or another "fan" posts something like this it has been proven to be false and more than likely nothing more than part of SV's viral marketing. Every few months the OP and others come out and state how the population is booming, link all kind of "facts" from SV showing that it is true and every single time when the reports come out it ends the same, they were wrong.

If these posts were not always proven to be false then we wouldn't dismiss them.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by sandboxluv

I mean if you need more info and more graphs to show SV's income has been going down and down event ho they have cut costs (fired 20 people).

Read this.

Thats one ugly arse balance sheet.

Originally posted by Gorilla

Originally posted by sandboxluv

Read this.

Thats one ugly arse balance sheet.

Exactly.  The company since release has shown NO growth.  It has lost %75 of it's net value.  Any other company would of closed shop.  Since MO is a vanity project I am sure Henrik will keep it open even if he has to fire everyone except himself, doing it in the basement of his Dad's mansion.  This balance sheet is why people do not believe people like the OP or GM Theia coming here and spreading hype instead of real numbers.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

MO is awesome. And about to become more awesome. If your sick of the standard model of themeparks today I suggest checking it out.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/72281-star-vault-analyst-research.html

A guy in the forums is looking at the analysis that shows SV stock has been on a rocket dive through the earth yet he wants to buy some.

Unread Yesterday, 23:31

#3 (permalink)

Ok. I'll buy a part of SV for the lulz.

How can I do it if I live in UK?

CEO

Go to your bank broker and they can help you out.

Ends on 22th

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by xDayx

MO is awesome. And about to become more awesome. If your sick of the standard model of themeparks today I suggest checking it out.

I'm not that sick of them to endure trial and error design approach and cluelessly implemented features. I would pick well designed themepark over halfassed sandbox any time tbh, despite preferring the latter.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Originally posted by Toferio

Originally posted by xDayx

I'm not that sick of them to endure trial and error design approach and cluelessly implemented features. I would pick well designed themepark over halfassed sandbox any time tbh, despite preferring the latter.

We are just the opposite then. Sure SV has its faults but all it takes for me is to go play Rift or something for a month and I realize that I dont want to run anymore quests or do the same rifts over and over. I dont want to run anymore WZ in swtor, I dont want to insta-qeue into any more lotro-skirmishes or instances.

I dont really encounter bugs per say on MO anylonger probably because of my role in MO.

The Bad about MO:

"Failed" in large battles that doesnt come over as a message now but is apparently still in game. The possibility that someone could exploit into a keep. Not enough punishment for being red. Ranged combat isnt better than DF at this point. Im not ranged. Im not in a guild at this time, and dont do large battles.

What is being updated/added to game to make it better soon? Mob and npc AI with roaming guards and pve finally, UI revamp, npc sold items will be taken off of vendor(wood, food) allowing noobs to sell the wood they chop to other players, magic system revamp after Awakening. Trade brokers.

The Good about MO:  No quests, open world, hunger, cooking, sleeping, resource gathering, mining/extraction, WYSIWYG mob drops, melee combat is good (different mount and blade style), realism, skill-based not level-based, do I need to list these.

Bottom Line: Thumbs down to themeparks(no I dont think GW2 is going to be a saviour for me personally due to it doesnt have sandbox systems in it)  Hats off to Wurm, EVE, etc. I choose MO

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by jusomdude

Are they still charging AAA prices for the game? I have a feeling they could increase their sales a ton if they dropped the price to something that reflected the quality of the product.

If they did that, it sounds as if they'd need to be paying people to play it.  Free still wouldn't be cheap enough.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

You can't take your payment number and determine the total amount of subs in game by that number.  

The payment number means there is AT LEAST that many subs in game, but there are always more due to the fact most players pay in blocks of more than 1 month.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Keep up the propaganda train SV employees....

Back in the real world we have charts:

Charts to pay particular attention to:  Net Income, Cash Flow, Cash (reserves).

Why don't we all just wait until the end of 2012, and we can see what the next addition to the chart looks like?

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by psykobilly

Keep up the propaganda train SV employees....

Back in the real world we have charts:

Charts to pay particular attention to:  Net Income, Cash Flow, Cash (reserves).

Why don't we all just wait until the end of 2012, and we can see what the next addition to the chart looks like?

Psykobilly, Sorry your Keep was destroyed in Mortal Online and your clan "AQ" was wiped out, but your inability to defend your self in game is no excuse to trash the game itself.  Your keep was destroyed fair and square and no moderator activity had a major influence on this.  

I thought AQ is supposed to "keep it classy" appearently that doesn't apply to former members?

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by username509

trash the game

How is he "trashing the game" by posting SV's own financial figures (which show a company enroute to bankruptcy) with no opinion offered on them?

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

Originally posted by Betel

trash the game

How is he "trashing the game" by posting SV's own financial figures (which show a company enroute to bankruptcy) with no opinion offered on them?

The answer is simple: SV always had low standards on policies concerning the game, irc and forum management and now they decided to expand by encuraging the lowest of the low remaining in the game to come into gaming communities and give the game a boost by spaming things like population is booming, game is better than ever, try it now etc etc. Thing is that no one in the ranks of SV is smart enough to realize that most of the people who are actualy willing to follow their instructions on "supporting" MO and SV are in such a mentality that they will do it in a manner of stating things without delivering any actual proofs, bashing everyone else who has a different opinion than theirs and keep on bashing when they are out of constructive arguments to back up their statements and especialy when others have limitless amount of proofs and valid arguments. 

Thats exactly the case above. PB is providing a valid financial graph and Username509 (i think its Medulimadness in MO forums) is bashing by saying irrelevant things about what happened ingame and about AQ losing their keep which it will not make any sence to anyone who doesnt play the game and is trying to keep up with the conversation. The bad thing that they simply cannot understant is that this sort of advertisement that SV is trying to pull out its everything but possitive and gives a fair general idea to the viewer concerning the status and the mentality of MO's remaining playerbase. At the end of day that can be only negative advertisement but still that might serve SV's interrests at some point cause in any other case i wouldnt see any other reason for such caos, drama and general movement on a title like MO.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

So it's confirmed.  StarVault is gaining subs not losing them.  This is official from StarVault and can not be denied.  Sales of licenses has increased 50% from a year ago.

"The measurements that Star Vault conducted show average data for January and February 2012. In comparison with average data for the fourth quarter of 2011, sales of licenses has increased by about 50%"

"players that typically have been logged on Mortal Online per day - has increased significantly by about 83 percent and is an indication that the players enjoy the game"

83% increase in players compared to forth quarter of 2011. This is HUGE!

All this talk about seeing more players in game is not hype it's confirmed by Starvault.

http://www.aktietorget.se/NewsItem.aspx?ID=61022

Found this on mmofallout.com

{mod edit}

These percentages without numbers to back them up are meaningless.

If they sold 10 licenses last year and they sold 5 this year...there's your 50%.  Not so impressive right?

If you have 10 players logged on and an additional 8 log on over the last two months, there's your 80%.  Again not so impressive.

Given SV's track record, the numbers are probably pretty pathetic, if true at all.  That's why they went percentages.  Some will fall for it.  Most of us that have been around SV for awhile know what they are doing.

5 to 10 is 100%.. :

He who keeps his cool best wins.