Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ graphics

drumptdrumpt Member Posts: 5

Why don't they ever upgrade the graphics in EQ more. They did it in EQ2! I love the game, have been playing for 2-3 years now. They have the technology to just do a complete redo of the graphics. Blocky trees aren't exactly eye catching to new players and current players alike. They should want new players to be like WOW ::::04:: .The game is still getting better in many ways but i'd play much more if the graphics were better. Hopefully we will see some change in world graphics instead of just player models soon.

Comments

• OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

nm.. mis-read it ::::29::

----------------------------------------
    My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

• lordnooblordnoob Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by drumpt
    Why don't they ever upgrade the graphics in EQ more. They did it in EQ2! I love the game, have been playing for 2-3 years now. They have the technology to just do a complete redo of the graphics. Blocky trees aren't exactly eye catching to new players and current players alike. They should want new players to be like WOW ::::04:: .The game is still getting better in many ways but i'd play much more if the graphics were better. Hopefully we will see some change in world graphics instead of just player models soon.

I doubt you'll see much more from EQ...

• nothing2geinnothing2gein Member Posts: 176

Originally posted by lordnoob
    I doubt you'll see much more from EQ...

WTF are u talking about? They just released a new expansion. And they just announced a new one. EQ is far from dead.

• DarusiforDarusifor Member Posts: 25
    Sony is slowly upgrading the graphics from what i heard. The release of DoN has upgraded the spider models and others, which they patched from only Lavastorm to all the spiders in the game. I read over the summer and the next few months after they are slowly revamping all graphics, could be just rumor though. I would surely like to see some new graphics and maybe get some more poeple back to EQ image

• Originally posted by Darusifor
    Sony is slowly upgrading the graphics from what i heard. The release of DoN has upgraded the spider models and others, which they patched from only Lavastorm to all the spiders in the game. I read over the summer and the next few months after they are slowly revamping all graphics, could be just rumor though. I would surely like to see some new graphics and maybe get some more poeple back to EQ image

You can't polish a turd.  You can't make icecream out of sh*t.  Cosmetic changes to EQ are not going to bring back old players or bring in new ones because underneath the new paint job, the gameplay is old and outdated.  There are just too many other games out now which are much better, IMO.

Originally posted by Aildrik
    Cosmetic changes to EQ are not going to bring back old players or bring in new ones because underneath the new paint job, the gameplay is old and outdated. There are just too many other games out now which are much better, IMO.
    And this is, just that, your opinion. :)

Mine differs. You see, I still play, I find it enjoyable and far from dead.
    Server population is up (true, mostly due to server merges), but there are some new players.
    Veteran players return, frequently, to see what changes have been made - or haven't been /shrug
    Graphics are being updated. Game play is prolly the most complicated MMOG out there. Maybe the graphics aren't up to your standards, maybe the PvP isn't up to your standards, and just maybe the PvE isn't either, but the game is making Sony way to much money.

EQ is a hardcore MMOG and you don't see to many of those. Most MMOGs are leaning towards casual market, which makes for a slightly... lighter game...

Just my opinion, however /shrug

My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

• Originally posted by Odenathus

And this is, just that, your opinion. :)

Mine differs. You see, I still play, I find it enjoyable and far from dead.
    Server population is up (true, mostly due to server merges), but there are some new players.
    Veteran players return, frequently, to see what changes have been made - or haven't been /shrug
    Graphics are being updated. Game play is prolly the most complicated MMOG out there. Maybe the graphics aren't up to your standards, maybe the PvP isn't up to your standards, and just maybe the PvE isn't either, but the game is making Sony way to much money.

EQ is a hardcore MMOG and you don't see to many of those. Most MMOGs are leaning towards casual market, which makes for a slightly... lighter game...

Just my opinion, however /shrug

My main point was that graphics aren't going to bring people back to EQ.  Honestly.  I don't see anyone who has retired from the game all of a sudden finding it interesting because there is a new model for skeletons or something.

By the way, I'm very curious about your comment that EQ is a "hardcore" MMO :)  Or that its more indepth.  Can you explain this better?  My perception of EQ, from day 1, is that its pretty straightforward and the game/monster AI is one step above braindead.  If you mean there are a lot of expansions and 70 levels + AA, I don't think that makes it hardcore or deep, just very tedious (yay grinding XP).

By the way, I'm very curious about your comment that EQ is a "hardcore" MMO :) Or that its more indepth. Can you explain this better?

No, I prolly can't. But I'm willing to expand, none-the-less. :)

Of the MMOGs on the market (Just MMOGs), EQ, UO, AC and I think one other that escapes me, at the moment, are pretty much it, for hard core MMOGs.

So, what do I mean? Any game that you can't reach the top, find the end game, or complete in a short time span. You say EQ and "grind" in the same breath and thats a heavy sigh. But that is a standard MMOG design. I've heard that EVE doesn't follow this, but I've yet to see any other game that doesn't include lvl grind. The difference then, is in the challenge of the grind. How willing are you to return, game session after game session to try again or to reach one niche higher on your exp bar?! The longer it takes, the more convulted that step, the more hard core the game. Course, like a roller coaster speed setting, if it's to high/tuff players won't come back. So, it's a delicate balance.

That doesn't make other MMOGs less, in my eyes, just a different level of challenge, of game play. Think of it like a puzzle; a 15 piece jigsaw puzzle vs the 4500 piece round jigsaw puzzles.

Another dimention to the depth is story line. Every game has a story line. EQs story line is prolly the most in depth on the market now, but only because of the age of the game. Personally I lost track of the story just before the release of Luclin and I'm still not sure that Sony has any idea what they are saying... but they have one. Every game has one, even the stand-alone versions have a story line. While I may think EQs is richer (only due to age of the game), I think Blizzard does more with their story line than any other MMOG out there /shrug.

My main point was that graphics aren't going to bring people back to EQ. Honestly. I don't see anyone who has retired from the game all of a sudden finding it interesting because there is a new model for skeletons or something.
    And yet, one of the most commonly posted complaints, is a critique on the graphics. So, while I agree that re-painting the rats, spiders and landscape won't bring back any oldtimers, it's an honest attempt on Sony's part to address a frequently brought up issue. Really, other than re-design the models, what else can they do, without replacing the entire graphic engine? which would be a major overhaul... which would be a major patch (and we all love Sony patches!) which would mean, prolly, new hardware for the customer base, which would start a new complaint... so... I see it as an attempt to mollify some issues... /shrug