Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I never fell for SW:TOR...

Comments

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by keithian

Originally posted by Tamanous

Originally posted by jacklo

Good find and something I agree with entirely.

Over-use of cut scenes gets in the way of my gameplay. If I wanted a movie, I'd watch a movie.

That is the glorious thing about the gaming world ... there is more than one type of game out there to play.

There are games that fit your style of play.

There are games that fit the style of play of others.

Amazing coincidence really. Free market ... crazy!

It seems a rather silly debate now doesn't it? It does to me at least and is why I ponder over the need of others to voice only why their opinions matter over others and why they need to construct artificial status symbols based on how much they vocalize hating some game they never plan on playing. 

Perhaps that is one of the greatest questions on the internet in general.

I agree. Whether you like this game or not, whether you think it failed or not, whether you like the story or not, or the cut scenes, etc...it appeals to those who do. If people like that style of game play similar to Knights of the Old Republic, why try to persuade them they are ignorant? They enjoy it, they don't care. If you think its a Coop or Single Player with a monthly subscription, who cares, they are paying, they are liking it, its like find something better to do and move on already. Even some of those who hate the game must be tiring of the same things over and over again being posted.

How is this game like KOTOR 1 or 2?  Both KOTOR's created characters you cared about.  Neither one subscribed to the DPS/Heal/Tank trinity.  They were clearly intended to be single player games.

About the only similarity is they have space on rails.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by kalinis

i have tried hard to stay out of the flame wars since early access, The problem is they wont let it drop, if a person posts a link about why they like tor haters descend on it and turn into tor sucks thread, 

They wont stop , they act like its there job to tell me what i can and cant play or like and it pisses me off. I dont care if people dont like tor thats there choice, 

I dont like skyrim, sure its a pretty game and if not for all the bugs i had when i tired it id say well made game. but it wasnt my tatste i can understand that, 

the diffrence is i dont go around starting one thread after another trying to convince everyone that any positive review was paid for and that the game sucks

i dont try to tell others what they can or cant like, The problem is with tor haters they seem to like to call us names and stuff for liking a game and act like it there job to tell us what we can or cant like .

And you come in here, throw a couple hanging breaking balls over the plate, the haters smash em, then tell their hater friends "lolz look at the way I destroyed this noob!!!!!!!" they then come to the thread, drink up the hatorade even more.

Then others, looking at these threads and not swayed, see the people who are the fanbois getting embarassed by the lack of logic, excessive qq about qq, and conclude the game is just like the fanboi posting:   not ready for primetime.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

if only the dev's could go back in time and watch this before creating this game..   i like his thoughts on the context of the game and use of cutscenes to enhance this

also his last quote "cutsences aren't there to deliver narrative, they are better used for creating context".. this is where I feel swtor went horribly wrong...

just saw someone quoted this right above.. oh well still think its a good point:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by Aerowyn

if only the dev's could go back in time and watch this before creating this game..   i like his thoughts on the context of the game and use of cutscenes to enhance this

also his last quote "cutsences aren't there to deliver narrative, they are better used for creating context".. this is where I feel swtor went horribly wrong...

just saw someone quoted this right above.. oh well still think its a good point:P

Thing is cutscene are great as a topping on a good MMO not as replacement.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Originally posted by Gorilla

Originally posted by mmoguy43

OP makes no sense. I can just as easily make a new thread and title it Why I fell for SW:TOR and provide the same link. The video explains the power of using cutscenes to give context to what you are doing and in TOR the cutscenes do a very good job of giving context for each mission.

A three minute cutscene for a 'gather 10 widgets from my yard' quest is not setting context. Even the main storylines (which arguably are quite good) are not setting context for the story they are the story. I don't think you 'got' the video.

I don't think you 'got' whatever the heck you were saying. The cutscenes DO provide context. They often tell what the current situation is, what the problem is, and what they need you to go do to help them solve it. No context would be simply exclaiming "Go get me that!" with a point emote. I will forgive your comment if you either never played the game or space bar'd through all of the cutscenes.

btw most of the side missions don't take more than a minute

I will agree that the use of so many missions with cutscenes was a bit excessive especially considering that you level so fast that you can easily miss 20-30% of them if you chose to do other things.

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

The thing you are missing is that BioWare doesn't rely on cutscenes in the manner that clip displays. They put you in those cutscenes...yeah, Grand Theft Auto and Assassin's Creed have cutscenes that tell you a story, BioWare games aren't like that. When you play Kingdoms of Alamur don't go crying somewehre that they ripped off BioWare style storytelling.

You see...that is the innovation...BioWare makes you a part of the cutscene, they don't make you watch one.

Oh, and I doubt anyone 'fell' for SWTOR. No one got ripped off here. The game is easily worth the price of the box as a single player game regardless, whether or not you want to subscribe for more.

You know, a nerd might see a hot chick and make up their mind they want to marry her without knowing anything about her...but then one day he meets her and, after a cursory social encounter, he gets angry when he finds out she would rather spend time with her friends than she would with him. In the end he wanted to marry her, but she just didn't want him to think she was a bitch. I guess what I'm getting at here is: Why would anyone get mad because something that was fun didn't last them the rest of their lifetime?

• LemuelGLemuelG Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Gorilla

Originally posted by mmoguy43

OP makes no sense. I can just as easily make a new thread and title it Why I fell for SW:TOR and provide the same link. The video explains the power of using cutscenes to give context to what you are doing and in TOR the cutscenes do a very good job of giving context for each mission.

A three minute cutscene for a 'gather 10 widgets from my yard' quest is not setting context. Even the main storylines (which arguably are quite good) are not setting context for the story they are the story. I don't think you 'got' the video.

Yup, one quote from the vid that I think describes the cutscenes in SWTOR (I mean... every Bioware game since Mass Effect) is 'ham-handed exposition'.

• beerwigbeerwig Member Posts: 22

i never fell for it because i don't give a shit about voice overs or lightsabers or cutscenes.I could tell the game was chinsy when i played the beta.

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by beerwig

i never fell for it because i don't give a shit about voice overs or lightsabers or cutscenes.I could tell the game was chinsy when i played the beta.

and yet you troll the SWTOR section of MMORPG.com? How cutting edge of you.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I didnt tried SWTOR because

(a) I am just too happy in Vanguard

(b) when release came closer, EA gave me a really bad feeling about SWTOR

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

I haven't tried TOR because it seems to be another theme park with holy trinity mechanism. I am really tired to looking for tank/healer and do repeative boring quests.

I guess, I could play it as solo game if it have strong story - like Knights of The Old Republic series.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

I liked them, made me get into the character and game more.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I was recently told to check posting history of people before hitting reply button. So i did and i would never believe the overzealous GW2 fans..ever.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by MosesZD

Originally posted by Tardcore

"Remember cutscenes aren't there to deliver narrative, they're better used for creating context. And if they're not doing that they may be more trouble then they're worth."

That little summation right there nailed where I feel Bioware went overboard with the VO content. Core class stories good,  expecting players to sit through similar long winded cutscenes for simple side quests that every player in that faction will do, was a massive waste of energy and resources. Not to mention player time.

1.  I agree.

2.  The spacebar was my friend.

the main focus of the game almost seems to be 'cutscenes' which you inevitably end up skipping through, in terms of resources alone, that represents a waste, it would have been sensible to have spent those resources on game features, rather than more and more voiceovers, where most of the time, you'd probably have been better off with just a few lines of text. So yes, i totally agree, cutscenes are wasted if their just there to deliver narrative.

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

I like the game. Totally refreshing for those of us without Adult ADHD............

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by Stormsone

Kind of a silly reason to me unless they were just horribly  written or done. 

They are.

Compare the cutscenes of SWTOR to an ACTUAL single player game and it's no contest 

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Originally posted by Tamanous

Originally posted by jacklo

Good find and something I agree with entirely.

Over-use of cut scenes gets in the way of my gameplay. If I wanted a movie, I'd watch a movie.

That is the glorious thing about the gaming world ... there is more than one type of game out there to play.

There are games that fit your style of play.

There are games that fit the style of play of others.

Amazing coincidence really. Free market ... crazy!

It seems a rather silly debate now doesn't it? It does to me at least and is why I ponder over the need of others to voice only why their opinions matter over others and why they need to construct artificial status symbols based on how much they vocalize hating some game they never plan on playing. 

Perhaps that is one of the greatest questions on the internet in general.

I think it's something to do with badges of tribal allegiance.  You demonstrate your group affiliation by vociferously hating something.  Vociferously liking something doesn't have the same impact, and looks a bit "wet".

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by omome

How is that post trolling? Really, I want to know. Please do tell. How is offerring your opinion on the game, trolling?

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Originally posted by Jason2444

They are.

Compare the cutscenes of SWTOR to an ACTUAL single player game and it's no contest 

Spoken by someone who has obviously never played SWTOR for long or ever played KOTOR, im not sure which it is.

The cutscenes and stories are very similar between both games, the thing is some of the single class storylines start out a bit slow and build, others start out with a bang far better than anything KOTOR ever produced in the early stages. Play KOTOR to the end, play a few SWTOR classes through the entire storyline and then try to argue this...you simply cannot justify your claim.

As for the cutscene overkill....you don't have to watch a single cutscene to play, you can just space through and read the text.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by Ghost12

How is that post trolling? Really, I want to know. Please do tell. How is offerring your opinion on the game, trolling?

Since  when people can't do both at the same time?

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by Zinzan

Originally posted by Jason2444

They are.

Spoken by someone who has obviously never played SWTOR for long or ever played KOTOR, im not sure which it is.

The cutscenes and stories are very similar between both games, the thing is some of the single class storylines start out a bit slow and build, others start out with a bang far better than anything KOTOR ever produced in the early stages. Play KOTOR to the end, play a few SWTOR classes through the entire storyline and then try to argue this...you simply cannot justify your claim.

As for the cutscene overkill....you don't have to watch a single cutscene to play, you can just space through and read the text.

Also if I'm not mistaken in preferences there is a button that seems to skip all the cutscenes (I could be wrong since I have not used it) I prefer to watch the cutscenes.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Originally posted by Ghost12

Since  when people can't do both at the same time?

You obviouslly don't know what trolling is. A hint: it's not when someone offers an opinion you don't like.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by lokiboard

I like the game. Totally refreshing for those of us without Adult ADHD............

I find this offensive. You are making fun of people with a handicap.

The thing you are missing is that BioWare doesn't rely on cutscenes in the manner that clip displays. They put you in those cutscenes...yeah, Grand Theft Auto and Assassin's Creed have cutscenes that tell you a story, BioWare games aren't like that. When you play Kingdoms of Alamur don't go crying somewehre that they ripped off BioWare style storytelling.

You see...that is the innovation...BioWare makes you a part of the cutscene, they don't make you watch one.

Oh, and I doubt anyone 'fell' for SWTOR. No one got ripped off here. The game is easily worth the price of the box as a single player game regardless, whether or not you want to subscribe for more.

You know, a nerd might see a hot chick and make up their mind they want to marry her without knowing anything about her...but then one day he meets her and, after a cursory social encounter, he gets angry when he finds out she would rather spend time with her friends than she would with him. In the end he wanted to marry her, but she just didn't want him to think she was a bitch. I guess what I'm getting at here is: Why would anyone get mad because something that was fun didn't last them the rest of their lifetime?

Or... That Nerd might marry the first chick he bangs, and be stuck with her for life. He is completely blind to the other possibilities.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

doublepost

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I have a confession to make.  I'm currently playing SWTOR, have a level 31 Republic Gunnery Commando, and I have watched every single cut-scene presented to me so far.

Yep, not only the class story lines, but even the side quests and bonus series as well.  Only stories I've missed are the group centric ones since I pretty much have solo'd to this point in time.  (If I decide to try and run through this as a healer I might consider grouping the next go around)

I actually enjoy the cut scenes as presented in this title, but that doesn't mean I think SWTOR is a great MMORPG (mostly average so far) and it certainly doesn't mean I want every MMORPG in the future to go down this same road.

It's made the experience a bit different, and enjoyable enough to level up to this point so far.  Can't say I see any long term replayability, and I'm sure I'll be skipping through the side-quests some if I decide to level up any alts. 

I've learned to play MMOPRG's these days for what they offer, and not to focus on what they lack.  It's made it possible to get through these MMORPG "Dark Ages" while waiting (likely in vain) for my perfect MMORPG.

Otherwise I'd have no other choice but to leave the genre.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon