Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2.0 and current game Questions

EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Was reading this forum a bit and reading what they plan for 2.0  For the most part, what they have in development looks good. Almost excites me but for the questions I have.

-If you bought the original FFXIV, will you need to re-buy it for 2.0?  ie. they make you pay for the 2.0 patch.

-What is the status of the current class system?  Is it still the mix and match skill system that it was at launch with only 7? combat classes, or did they add darknights, samuai, black mages, summoners, etc.  If not, will that be added in 2.0?

-Will the crafting system still be heavily RNG based?  (I don't mind the crafting system in FFXIV as far as the mini game goes, but still failing cotton cloth at tailoring lvl 20+ got old fast...)

-I understand they made armor and things detiorate slower, did that transfer over to crafting tools?

-I understand they improved the stat coefficients?  How does it feel so far, at launch I remember a mage never really needed to cast an offensive spell because it was more time/efficient to spam your dart weapon move over and over.  Same with Pugs and rangers if I recall on their TP moves.

Also I saw on one of the pages Hyanman linked: male Miqo *squeels like a giddy gay boy*

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

Comments

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

I can only answer your first question.  I haven't seen anything official, but I highly, HIGHLY, doubt that you'll have to pay for the game again to play 2.0.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by Edeus

-If you bought the original FFXIV, will you need to re-buy it for 2.0?  ie. they make you pay for the 2.0 patch.

You won't have to rebuy it. If you bought the PC version, and want to play on PS3 with the same account, you need to buy the PS3 version. When 2.0 first releases, if you've bought it before for PC, you get another free trial.

-What is the status of the current class system?  Is it still the mix and match skill system that it was at launch with only 7? combat classes, or did they add darknights, samuai, black mages, summoners, etc.  If not, will that be added in 2.0?

Same classes, though it's changed. Each class has 3 things it unlocks every few levels. Skills, a slot to equip another skill from another class (you don't get points to split between all moves evenly now. A level 5 character can only use 1 cross class skill for example, to add more class distiction) and class specific traits.

Jobs are being added in the coming patch. They are mostly for endgame, as you need a certain combination of the 7 normal classes leveled to complete the questline to unlock a specific job. They start at max level, and you unlock skills and such through storylines rather than grinding mobs. Not much else is known (jobs are Warrior, Paladin, Monk, Dragoon, Bard, White Mage and Black Mage. 

The coming player poll will let the players vote on the next coming class (not job). Yoshi P has put up the options of a pet class, thief, or another mage so far.

-Will the crafting system still be heavily RNG based?  (I don't mind the crafting system in FFXIV as far as the mini game goes, but still failing cotton cloth at tailoring lvl 20+ got old fast...) 

It's the same, the only difference is that HQ mats will give a higher chance to make HQ items now (being added next patch). Success rates are determined from your attributes (STR for Blacksmith for example) and higher level gear gives better +Control and such to make fails less often. Not sure if you knew about that, as failing cotton cloth at 20 is pretty rare. No mention of failing rates being lower with 2.0.

-I understand they made armor and things detiorate slower, did that transfer over to crafting tools?

Yes. And NPCs can repair gear to 99% now for not even a tenth of the money you'd make off Leves to wear them down. It's a second thought now, not nearly as annoying as it was before the nerfs to item damage. The repair process itself has been streamlined too, as you can set your gear to be repaired, and other players can target you to repair your items without trading now (payment and such is set up front). That, and no random materials are needed. Dark Matter is used for all repair needs (they have 5 ranks of it, one for every 10 levels).

-I understand they improved the stat coefficients?  How does it feel so far, at launch I remember a mage never really needed to cast an offensive spell because it was more time/efficient to spam your dart weapon move over and over.  Same with Pugs and rangers if I recall on their TP moves.

Stats are still a bit iffy, but it sounds like you've been gone for awhile. Auto attack is in, so mages don't have the dart skill anymore. Classes have much fewer skills than before (especially mages) but more meaning behind each skill.

Also I saw on one of the pages Hyanman linked: male Miqo *squeels like a giddy gay boy*

They're filling in the missing genders (Male Miqo'te and Female Roegadyn) with 2.0. Rumors of new races are going around too.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Ah ok, thankyou.  Answers a lot of questions. 

Will there be chocobo riding in 2.0?  Has it already come out?

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

Ah ok, thankyou.  Answers a lot of questions. 

Will there be chocobo riding in 2.0?  Has it already come out?

That's already in.  You get chocobos through joining a Grand Company.  Check out the FFXIV Lodestone for more info.

I've only been playing for two weeks but I'm having a blast.  The game has a lot more depth than any other MMO I've played in recent memory.  I actually picked up after wasting $60 on the sub-par single-player RPG that is SWTOR.  FFXIV is by far the best kept secret of the genre.  It may have had a really rocky start, but it's definitely worth getting into now.  I epect it to grow exponentially with 2.0 as long as Yoshida's team can deliver.

A couple more:

Has anything been mentioned about adding limit break quests to increase the level cap?

Has anything been mentioned about race changes to characters?

And an opinion question:  Do you think the current state of the game + the 2.0 changes, could make FFXIV a worthy successor to FFXI?

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

A couple more:

Has anything been mentioned about adding limit break quests to increase the level cap?

Has anything been mentioned about race changes to characters?

And an opinion question:  Do you think the current state of the game + the 2.0 changes, could make FFXIV a worthy successor to FFXI?

1.  Yes they plan to increase level cap (no schedule yet), and most likely there will be limit break quests.

2.  Yes you can pick a new race/gender at 2.0.

3.  I think it's as close as we are going to get in this decade.  In today's MMO market I don't see anything else that would come closer.

Thanks for all the feedback.  But now all I want to do is play a male miqo... Don't want to risk creating a character and dumping hours into it, hoping they have race changes in the future. 

So I will wait and lurk in the shadows.

• NavyJackalNavyJackal Member Posts: 82

I'm happy that FFXIV is finally coming around and I'm liking the changes I've been reading about and may have to give it another look.  Just wish they hadn't gone and started to charge subscriptions again.  The changes the devs are putting forth show alot of potential, and I'll following the developments alot closer as Version 2.0 draws near.  

That being said, I have to say I'm not all that thrilled about male Miqo'te and female Roegadyn.  I'd rahter they stayed as single gender races.  Instead I would like to see some completely new races added to the game.  I think that would add more variety and choice than simply making both genders available on all races.

Thanks for all the feedback.  But now all I want to do is play a male miqo... Don't want to risk creating a character and dumping hours into it, hoping they have race changes in the future. 

The director of the game has confirmed that they will allow people to change races @ 2.0, you have nothing to worry about.

Originally posted by Murugan

The director of the game has confirmed that they will allow people to change races @ 2.0, you have nothing to worry about.

But where?  Where does it say that?

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Murugan

But where?  Where does it say that?

well I googled it

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1074995-2-million-sold-1.7-million-subscribed-EA-s-Q3-FY12-report

In this link it says its in their offical PDF that outlines 2.0

Soooooo i'd say it soffical as offical gets...

Why not download their PDF and read it yourself?

Here is the PDF

http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_Outline_EN.pdf

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Did they ever remove that annoying exp fatigue system? If not, do they mention any plans to do so?

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

If I can add some additional questions:

1. How easy or difficult is it to find groups? How necessary is it to group to level and progress?

2. People say this game is "deep." Why?

3. What is "end game"?

4. Do you need a controller, or is playing with a keyboard and mouse more fun than frustrating?

I played a little bit in beta, but was totally confused by not knowing where to go and having a hard time with the controls/UI. But I'm always on the lookout for a deep game.

• Vore_TechzVore_Techz Member Posts: 122

This game taught me never to get too hyped up for a game before it is released.

Huge failure.

Massive disappointment.

(>^_^)> MMO Veteran <(^_^<)
    Currently Playing: Tera Online

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

If I can add some additional questions:

1. How easy or difficult is it to find groups? How necessary is it to group to level and progress?

Groups are difficult to find at the moment until servers merge. Then it should be comparable to FFXI, as in easy if your in a large linkshell.

2. People say this game is "deep." Why?

I would call the game deep for a few reasons. That gathering in certain locations gets you certain materials, that crafting actually has depth and matters (the Materia system puts it over any themepark crafting IMO), the armory system, and that very few things are handed to you.

3. What is "end game"?

End game is only 2 primal fights at the moment, more like boss fights than anything. There are beastmen camps to work your way in for rare monster spawns too, but nothing compared to typical raids.

4. Do you need a controller, or is playing with a keyboard and mouse more fun than frustrating?

I'd reccomend a controller. 2.0 is bringing a revamped UI for PC players, because right now everything takes a few extra clicks and such when using keyboard/mouse.

I played a little bit in beta, but was totally confused by not knowing where to go and having a hard time with the controls/UI. But I'm always on the lookout for a deep game.

Ok I'm playing the game now :D

Some thing's I have to ask about:

They changed the crafting recipe's didn't they?  I see a lot of gear with "dated" printed on it, which tells me those are the old versions of that armor, made with the old materials.  Did they take out certain aspects, like need taupe scale bugs for making pretty much any armor 5-20? 

I also noticed while quarrying that they took out taupe scale bugs altogether in the game, and the only way to get them now is if you alreasdy have some.

Also, does anyone know what skills you will need for what adv classes?  I heard ingame that BRD would actually come from archery.

Also I love the changes they made to Thurm's, at least so far, they are all offensive magics, and conj seems more defensive.  This probably means THM will be needed for BLM, and CNJ for WHM.  But I'm curious how they will do PLD and in the future DRK.  Will make class mixing more interesting...

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Did they ever remove that annoying exp fatigue system? If not, do they mention any plans to do so?

Yes.

Ok I'm playing the game now :D

Some thing's I have to ask about:

They changed the crafting recipe's didn't they?  I see a lot of gear with "dated" printed on it, which tells me those are the old versions of that armor, made with the old materials.  Did they take out certain aspects, like need taupe scale bugs for making pretty much any armor 5-20? 

I also noticed while quarrying that they took out taupe scale bugs altogether in the game, and the only way to get them now is if you alreasdy have some.

Also, does anyone know what skills you will need for what adv classes?  I heard ingame that BRD would actually come from archery.

Also I love the changes they made to Thurm's, at least so far, they are all offensive magics, and conj seems more defensive.  This probably means THM will be needed for BLM, and CNJ for WHM.  But I'm curious how they will do PLD and in the future DRK.  Will make class mixing more interesting...

Yes they changed the way secondary mats work, and they changed the dying process completely.  Dated gear can be turned into materia, and is still used quite a bit for that.  But it generally worse gear than what comes from the new recipes.

You don't need them because you can dye using different dyes now.

ARC->BRD

THM->BLM

CNJ->WHM

GLA->PLD

PGL->MNK

LNC->DRG

MRD->WAR

In the future you'll unlock them with a mix of classes, but for now they are straight forward.  You unlock them to gain access to job abilities, of which you have 6 at level 50.  (leaving you 4 other cross class skills to choose instead of 10 on the base classes)