Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Possible 'Legacy' Species

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Game Update 1.2 will see the expansion of playable species (existing species only) for the various classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic via the game's Legacy system. In the future, the Legacy system will also introduce entirely new species to the game, but which ones? We take a look at some of the possibilities in this week's column.

The catlike Cathar is a species I feel is probably one of the more likely ones BioWare will add to Star Wars: The Old Republic in the future. Players are already familiar with them due to KOTOR’s Juhani and the Trooper companion Aric Jorgan. It also helps that they’re different enough while also being completely humanoid. Plus, it gives BioWare a way to squeeze cat-girls into a Star Wars MMO. Truth be told, I’m not really a fan of the Cathar. If we were going to get a catlike species, I’d much prefer the Togorian, who more closely resemble Guild Wars’ bestial Charr. Unfortunately, I don’t think we’ll be seeing any real alien looking species until BioWare eventually puts Wookiees in the game…

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: Possible 'Legacy' Species.

Nope. Definitely NOT these guys.

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

As I've stated before, I'm holding off on playing a Jedi character until I can play as a Togruta.

Oh, and good job bringing up Nautolans as well, would be a fun Smuggler or BH.

Hmmm, I think I may have a deep-seeded fixation on head-tails. Good thing I don't have a Shrink......the bills would never end.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Probably be some sort of Panda-like race.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

They should make it so legacy enables you to have the pets of other classes.  

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Cash shop to play a wookie within a few months
  • EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

I always got the feeling that they would just switch the races from one side to the other. like have the ability to play a Sith (pureblood) Jedi or a Miraluka (the blind race) Sith Warrior.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

I'd say Teras-Kasi Ewoks, but I think they're saving that class and race for the fourth expansion.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

I want to play a Hutt, so I can call him Gamingin of the Momsbasement Legacy

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • JonathJCenJonathJCen Member UncommonPosts: 202

While I like the Nautolan, I could see bioware implamenting Rodian before them. However, either case wouldn't be a bad thing. While Rodian eyes are more bug-like, the idea of having non-humanoid eyes birngs them that much closer to Nautolan.

An arguement against the whole fatial feature and eyes in dialogue is the fact that players and NPCs often times wear helmits and such that partially, or completely, cover up their faces. While I see the facial features being an issue, I don't think it's a big enough argument that Bioware can ultimately hide behind

I do, however, believe that the biggist issue is going to be with the games lore (and this is why I think they went with the random idea of a cyborg race instead of a more known species). While you can potentially implament any species for the republic side, the empire (perticularly of this time period) is very anti-alien. They stomach the ones they do for "good reason," but it would be hard for Bioware to keep selling "good reasons" to play down their elitist attitude whilst not ruining that part of the empire's image. I could see them using a few different species for bounty hunters, but it wouldn't make great lore sense to make them playable as a sith or an agent. However, I might be overlooking some species somewhere in the lore that would be more fitting to this timeframe, but most of your traditional species are probably out of the picture to see on the imperial side.

One last question, do they plan to implament TWO species at a time (one for each side of the conflict), considering the concerns I've mentioned above, or go the easy route and find a species that they could somehow fit as playable to both sides?

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Rodian!

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

lol

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

"The eyes are the window into the soul and are important for conveying emotion in dialogue scenes. I can see BioWare possibly shying away from this species due to this fact."

Any animator worth his salt knows that emotions don't lie just in the eyes. The eyes are the focal point for human interaction but they are not all your body and emotions respond to during interaction, there's actually a lot more to interaction than people realize and those are the things animators are made to learn. So, I wouldn't worry too much about the whole "window of the soul" thing, I think they're a really cool looking species and could see them portraying emotion really well. You still have lid and brow movement, lips, voice inflection, body gestures and posture to convey all the emotion you need. Not an SWTOR fan but I hope you get your wish, they're pretty regal looking in an alien sort of way.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

What a complete waste of effort.

I knew BW were unlikely to respond to player suggestions, and basically this just proves it.

They should have concentrated on expanding ship warfare - make it PvP. Make a more expansive universe to PvP in. Make player-made housing.

These changes won't make me re-sub. I can't believe they emailed me for advice as to how to improve the game. That must have been some sort of marketing gimmick.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

Every game developer asks for your opinion on where to improve the game. I got the same thing and I'm subscribed.

The legacy system is something they've been working on and planning for, for quite a long time. I think they intend to add new species' in expansions as well as legacy.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Guaranteed that the new races will NOT deviate from the standard humanoid shape.

Too many layering and clipping issues to begin with. There's no way they could pull something like Wookies.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I knew BW were unlikely to respond to player suggestions, and basically this just proves it.

They should have concentrated on expanding ship warfare - make it PvP. Make a more expansive universe to PvP in. Make player-made housing.

These changes won't make me re-sub. I can't believe they emailed me for advice as to how to improve the game. That must have been some sort of marketing gimmick.

Maybe everyone else wanted something different than you?

Besides the Legacy system was already in the works so this is just the culmination of all that work. Doesn't mean they aren't going to do other things going forward in development?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

Wookie as a "real alien looking species"?!  It's a tall guy with Hypertrichonsis, a fetish for running around naked except for a leather bandolier, and a penchant for gargle-yelling instead of talking.  Not exactly what I'd call real alien looking. Rodians look far more alien in appearance since they look like lizards/geckos, and I find the females apparently having breasts as rather disturbing. 

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

The Nautolon's, Rodian's, and Togruta's are probably going to be the first 3 genuinely new species' added; as they're seen most frequently through out the game as NPC's already.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

They've already strongly hinted in the past that the first expansion which has been in development for some time will be expanding the space universe. 1.2 is just a patch, you can't expect everything you personally want to be in that.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by Sovrath

Maybe everyone else wanted something different than you?

Besides the Legacy system was already in the works so this is just the culmination of all that work. Doesn't mean they aren't going to do other things going forward in development?

Oh yeah...anotgher race to level up an alt to 50 and be bored - not even close to making me resub and I'm still pissed I bought the game and the BW BS.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

""There’s also the fact Wookiees cannot even speak Basic, which would create some interesting challenges and possibly hilarious results when it comes to fully VO’d dialogue.""

*Ahem*

Jergis puts on nerd hat...

Wookies can speak Basic, according tot he Expanded Universe of the novels. Chewbacca cannot, though, due to an impediment in his physiology. According to my recollection of those novels, Chewbacca's speech impediment/disability does not affect his ability to speak Shyriiwook, only Basic.

Carry on.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i'm the first one who would like a trandoshan?

i've wanted one ever since i met my amigo Qyzen fess.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Jergis

""There’s also the fact Wookiees cannot even speak Basic, which would create some interesting challenges and possibly hilarious results when it comes to fully VO’d dialogue.""

*Ahem*

Wookies can speak Basic, according tot he Expanded Universe of the novels. Chewbacca cannot, though, due to an impediment in his physiology. According to my recollection of those novels, Chewbacca's speech impediment/disability does not affect his ability to speak Shyriiwook, only Basic.

Carry on.

if they get to do Wookie VO's then they should have a mandatory french accent, because then at least it would make them even more ridiculous than they already are.. if thats possible image

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Jergis

*Ahem*

Carry on.

There are plenty of PCs that speak whatever language while subtitles tell us what they are saying in basic.  I don't see why they can't do this for characters. Even if Wookies couldn't speak basic...have them babble on and show subtitles when its part of a cinematic conversation and/or the resulting conversation or response of the dialogue wheel. Especially for wookies and Rodians because the sounds they make crack me up for some reason.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

LOL

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Cash shop to play a wookie within a few months

AHAHAHAHAHA!

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• BrannikBrannik Member Posts: 6
    Gamorreans Bounty Hunter PLEASE!