Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Immersed in wurm online

Waiting for archeage and gw2 and being bored about non-intersting games at actual market i started searching sandboxes, indie sandboxes. I have found wurm online, installed, starting tutorial. Just like in themepark you make what they want - but this is tutorial :). I was digging, making campfire, making cave (but must was be beware cuz if two tunnels one higher, one lower would meet there would be a hole, sometimes you find water etc. in cave if you went too deep. I have end tutorial, so let's play wurm online. I'm on undefinied road, no npcs anywhere and players and what to do things. I just went exploring, wow what a landscape! I see village some houses and pigs, collosus, some boats. I asked on chat if it's made by natural, they told me that it's made by players and most things in wurm are made by players. One player offer me to join his village - oki. He told me route, in wurm online started night in way i found some corpses of wolves etc. - i was a bit scared, first time in my game history. I left troll docks went to end of road and i met brown bear, i asked him can i kill him or what have i to do. He told that i must run - i ran :). I stop in small dock village with only three boats i thought that it's empty, but that wasn't there was one player i started to talk - he said that he too wait for person who will bring me to his village. They had some interests to do. One thing to say on the road i met too one player house who was making some bows, i started to talk and in moment other player arrived on horse with materials from forest (wood etc.) so i don't wanted to disturb them. When leader of village arrived i come to boat and we travelled to his village it take near 5 minutes - but that was great experience too, landscapes was great, birds etc., i have seen some villages too made by players and big buildings, boats one smaller, one higher. I felt trully free, none mmo or singleplayer game (except gothic and tes) gave me that feeling, but gothic and tes are singleplayer games so it isn't the same. We arrived and one of citizens (player of course) said to leader that cave what he was making is invade by some monsters and they are escaping cave so he left me and went there. After that i have logged out, now i'm in some way excited what we will do today. Only shame is not graphics because it's good on extreme or high settings even compared to high tech games, only shame is animation that sucks a lot, but it's only one thing and compared to all content, what to do things, freedom etc. it's nothing :).

Comments

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

It's one thing having poor animation, but the game actually has none..whatsoever, the players are static, i have never seen anything like it in any game before, i mean, no movement at all, like trees, i can't put up with that.

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

I use to play Wurm a lot 6 or so years ago. At some point however after an update I could never play with out major graphic lag.(lol trust me it wasn't me needing an update) So I stopped. The game is fun especially if you have a decent sized group of friends all running a village together.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Game is a cool concept executed very, very poorly. The interface is complete and utter trash, there's little to no help for new players, and (at least when I played) you couldn't walk more than a hundred feet without getting mauled to death by some form of wildlife. You start the game with so little combat skill that you literally can't defend yourself from a CHICKEN.

This was a couple of years ago however, so maybe things have changed since then. Nevertheless, my experience has caused me to warn most folks to stay far, far away from this turd.

You can get a much better experience playing Minecraft with some friends, TBH.

Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Game is a cool concept executed very, very poorly. The interface is complete and utter trash, there's little to no help for new players, and (at least when I played) you couldn't walk more than a hundred feet without getting mauled to death by some form of wildlife. You start the game with so little combat skill that you literally can't defend yourself from a CHICKEN.
    This was a couple of years ago however, so maybe things have changed since then. Nevertheless, my experience has caused me to warn most folks to stay far, far away from this turd.

When I started there wasn't much to kill you so it wasn't too bad. Except trolls looked exactly like players and if you were lost you would be like "hey can you tell me which way to get back to x." Then the guy would turn look at you and then start coming towards you and then the name would pop up. You were already dead.

Also bears looked like item bags. The game was a big trap for new players.

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

Wurm Online is the perfect example of one of the coolest most successful game designs, completely ruined by horrible UI, incredibly boring flaws, insane developers with no talent for making games fun, and absolutely no animation or talent in character models.

You know what happened after Wurm Online?

The one of few developers of it left Wurm Online, probably because it's the stupidest game in existence, and copied it but fixed the enormous flaws and got rid of the horrible boring gameplay to make Minecraft-- turning one of the biggest fails in video game hsitory into one of the biggest successes.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Originally posted by Joliust
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

Also bears looked like item bags. The game was a big trap for new players.

Pmsl, that's some kickass modelling skill right there :D

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by LeegOfChldrn

Wurm Online is the perfect example of one of the coolest most successful game designs, completely ruined by horrible UI, incredibly boring flaws, insane developers with no talent for making games fun, and absolutely no animation or talent in character models.

The one of few developers of it left Wurm Online, probably because it's the stupidest game in existence, and copied it but fixed the enormous flaws and got rid of the horrible boring gameplay to make Minecraft-- turning one of the biggest fails in video game hsitory into one of the biggest successes.

Yeah, Minecraft is everything that Wurm should have been. I'm surprised the developer hasn't pulled some sort of NGE on it, trying to make it more like minecraft. Although this NGE would actually improved the game instead of destroying it.

In case you all don't know, Notch was the co-creator of Wurm Online. Wurm is essentially what he cut his teeth on before moving on to create Minecraft. You have to start from somewhere. No one learns how to program and 3rd model and then pumped out a success on their first try.

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

Originally posted by jusomdude

Yeah, Minecraft is everything that Wurm should have been. I'm surprised the developer hasn't pulled some sort of NGE on it, trying to make it more like minecraft. Although this NGE would actually improved the game instead of destroying it.

I'm not surprised at all. The reason he will never pull a NGE is the exact reason it is so fail in the first place.

Really, some people just lack talent in game design, game development, or simply understanding if their creation is fail or not.

Indie developers are plagued with horrid UI's, game-destroying flaws in design, and boring / stupid execution of what is actually a great and phenominal design concept.

Most indie devs just don't seem to know how to make a game fun or successful. I guess it's just a talent, but IMO it's actually just NOT being completely blind and oblivious to  reality. I'll never know, because those of us with enough talent to adjust our design to make sure it works / is fun (talented in development) will never know what it's like to be one of those fail developers who see nothing wrong with their game.

If I created Wurm Online, I'd tell everyone "My game is incredibly boring and horendously flawed. I will now /wrist because Minecraft is my game but the enormous obvious flaws fixed."

I'd just /wrist if I developed Wurm Online, and make sure I triple /throat myself upon Minecraft's success. I can't imagine what it feels like to be the guy who made Wurm Online-- the minecraft ruined by the developers blind ignorance to making a good game.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by Joliust

In case you all don't know, Notch was the co-creator of Wurm Online. Wurm is essentially what he cut his teeth on before moving on to create Minecraft. You have to start from somewhere. No one learns how to program and 3rd model and then pumped out a success on their first try.

I know, but I'm surprised the guy still developing Wurm hasn't taken some pointers and improved Wurm. IDK, maybe it's not possible without recreating the game entirely.

• GeroltGerolt Member Posts: 98

I'm not surprised at all. The reason he will never pull a NGE is the exact reason it is so fail in the first place.

Really, some people just lack talent in game design, game development, or simply understanding if their creation is fail or not.

Indie developers are plagued with horrid UI's, game-destroying flaws in design, and boring / stupid execution of what is actually a great and phenominal design concept.

Most indie devs just don't seem to know how to make a game fun or successful. I guess it's just a talent, but IMO it's actually just NOT being completely blind and oblivious to  reality. I'll never know, because those of us with enough talent to adjust our design to make sure it works / is fun (talented in development) will never know what it's like to be one of those fail developers who see nothing wrong with their game.

If I created Wurm Online, I'd tell everyone "My game is incredibly boring and horendously flawed. I will now /wrist because Minecraft is my game but the enormous obvious flaws fixed."

I'd just /wrist if I developed Wurm Online, and make sure I triple /throat myself upon Minecraft's success. I can't imagine what it feels like to be the guy who made Wurm Online-- the minecraft ruined by the developers blind ignorance to making a good game.

Well to be fair, Minecraft isn't a better Wurm. Minecraft is just.. fast food in comparison. I believe that Wurm could, with a few tweaks, be much more successful than Minecraft but maybe I just don't see something.

Wurm is supposed to be much more slow-paced, massive, persistent. One world and that stuff, you know. Wurm is more complicated, more social, more immersive. I recently dug out my old possessions from when I first played over 570 ago - I had hidden it in a mine. It was magical. Someone could have stolen it but it was well hidden. Parts of the mine had collapsed, but I dug it out. That's also Wurm, wilderness survival.

Shame it's such a horrible grind, non-existing marketing, and it offers nothing for fluff players. Wurm could unite so many genres if it tried. Clothes and animations and it could be a medieval Sims Online, only, the chicks wouldn't play it because the GUI still looks like Excel 95 beta.

I agree about your fail dev theory. People who program in their leisure time, on projects of that size, may be weird enough to actually enjoy the grind and see the result as accomplishment.

But Rolf recently started playing his game and blogged about it. I think he's trying to see what cannot be unseen. I think the main problem is like this: Rolf must have had some great MMO experience when he was young, one of those first gen mmos with manual mining and smelting and all of that crap. He enjoyed the game but mainly remembered the grind. Then he made Wurm and made it grindy as hell cause he associates it with joy.

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

You guys are dumb. Its simply not possible to make Wurm like Minecraft because of graphical limitations and MMO vs single player with some multiplayer functionality.

You must also be terrible at virtual worlds because I played Wurm for several months and had no problems with trolls and bears. Actually trolls are funny because they literally troll people who suck at virtual worlds.