Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameInformer Article about GW2

fonyfony Member Posts: 755

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/guild_wars_2/b/pc/archive/2012/02/20/guild-wars-2-is-the-mmo-revolution-that-star-wars-the-old-republic-promised.aspx

In the lead-up to the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare and EA increased the hype by pushing the idea that their game was revolutionary. I always cringed when I heard it. The Old Republic wrapped together a lot of things I already loved about MMOs and proved that adding a real story to that formula is a meaningful change. It was enough to draw me in and keep me hooked for a few months, but calling it "revolutionary" is an exaggeration.

ArenaNet is no BioWare. It is a relatively small Seattle-area company that many non-PC gamers haven’t even heard of, and it’s is preparing to release what appears to be the slickest, most smartly developed MMO I’ve ever seen. Oh, and there’s no subscription fee. ArenaNet has been quietly working away for years now and hasn’t used the weighty words that EA threw around so freely, so allow me to do so for them: Guild Wars 2 does everything The Old Republic promised and then some. This is the actual MMO revolution we’ve been waiting for.

GOGO!

EDIT: Changed topic title. forgot sarcasm doesn't work online.

Comments

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

There are a ton of other smaller things I want to praise in Guild Wars 2. I love the brief, simple cutscenes that usually just feature two characters standing in front of beautiful concept art, saving the action for when you’re in control. I love that the only time I made a decision in my main storyline, it was a decision that immediately and powerfully impacted the gameplay of the next quest. I especially love that Guild Wars 2 features a travel system, arguably making it the first MMO that genuinely respects your time.

But above all else, what sticks out to me is that Guild Wars 2 is so clearly in love with the idea of being a massively multiplayer game. For a while now, MMOs have been convincing me that all I want is a mostly single-player experience with chat room functionality. Guild Wars 2 reminds me of the joy that can come from having this huge world to explore full of other people to team up with, and it does so without sacrificing any of the approachability or care for storytelling that other games have focused on. This is the revolution that we deserve.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Hype generated by a potential player doesn't mean that the game is hyped or overhyped. 

If that were the case, then every damn thing in the world would be hyped or overhyped because for everything out there, there is at least one if not more fanatical person who is super excited for whatever item it is. 

I normally agree with your posts but this thread is obnoxious.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

i'm just trying to see what it feels like to be a hater man. way to rain on my parade.

• Timeout77Timeout77 Member Posts: 177

I have to say the main Draw of this game is that its B2P. I mean it can have 1000+ bugs And would not care. I DONT HAVE TO PAY ONE DIME TO KEEP PLAYING IT. Bugs get fixed, balance gets sorted but not having to pay for it for a change IS A GOOD THING...

TERA is the other game im looking at and Betwen TERA and GW2 if people give both games a fair shot we have a good chans of breaking BIOWARE/EA for good.

Lets hope SWTOR numbers fall to less then 50k in a year. Iv hated SWTOR since the first fucking day BIOWARES deves steped up on that stage at E3, declaring they invented the forth pillar "LAME AS STORY". And EA is just crap " just litsten to DANA WHITE, president of the UFC, he hates them like the plague for good reason". ALL The studios EA take over they RUIN..... feel sorry for FAILCOM that they have now joined up with them.. As FAILCOM wasent bad enough by themselves they had to team up with EA to release the SECRET FAIL..

Originally posted by fony

i'm just trying to see what it feels like to be a hater man. way to rain on my parade.

sorry :p

it's not personal - it's just that this was the 2nd or 3rd thread aboput how this game is hyped like SWTOR. 

There are high hopes for this game and no doubt, GW2 will not meet all the expectations. Or even half of the expectations. But the product Anet has now is quite incredible. 

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

ArenaNet and people involved, have had their statements that goes over the top, we just tend to be more acceptable of thesse situations, because we are fans and they do most often back other claims with fact. I also belive that could inspire some fans to let the facts talk and not the hype, and certainly there is no real reason to go to infight with other games fans about hype in forum PvP when your game speaks volumes by it self.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by pharazonic

it's not personal - it's just that this was the 2nd or 3rd thread aboput how this game is hyped like SWTOR. 

There are high hopes for this game and no doubt, GW2 will not meet all the expectations. Or even half of the expectations. But the product Anet has now is quite incredible. 

So how is your opinion worse or better than those who enjoy SWTOR or any other MMO you dislike? for many people GW2 won't b that good game and i am ok with that. Different strokes for different folks. 

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

So how is your opinion worse or better than those who enjoy SWTOR or any other MMO you dislike? for many people GW2 won't b that good game and i am ok with that. Different strokes for different folks. 

I'm a little confused. *

Here's my opinion: ANet is not "hyping" GW2 up; I see them saying, "Here's what we have done" and showing us what they have done. And of course, they have done some brilliant things so fans get hyped by that. Which is fine. 

But that's very different from BW/EA and SWTOR -- who basically said, "We're making an awesome MMO!", showed us some fake evidence (CGI trailers; doctored gameplay footage for example) and when they delivered the final product, it did not match what they originally said they'd make. 

I haven't read the article posted (yet) but I'm sure it's sensational but that doesn't mean Arena Net is hyping this game to the point that it's something it's not. It means that ArenaNet is making a game that makes this one fan (and loads others) look forward to it. And unlike SWTOR, there is evidence to show for it. 

Of course there will be people that don't like GW2. There are threads here repeatedly at how not having a scripted PvE Whack-A-Mole end-game will spell disaster for GW2. But that's life. Can't please everyone.

*Edit: Nevermind, I get it. Still, I hope my answer, especially the last few paragraphs clears up how I feel about not liking SWTOR. 

I'm a little confused. *

Here's my opinion: ANet is not "hyping" GW2 up; I see them saying, "Here's what we have done" and showing us what they have done. And of course, they have done some brilliant things so fans get hyped by that. Which is fine. 

But that's very different from BW/EA and SWTOR -- who basically said, "We're making an awesome MMO!", showed us some fake evidence (CGI trailers; doctored gameplay footage for example) and when they delivered the final product, it did not match what they originally said they'd make. 

I haven't read the article posted (yet) but I'm sure it's sensational but that doesn't mean Arena Net is hyping this game to the point that it's something it's not. It means that ArenaNet is making a game that makes this one fan (and loads others) look forward to it. And unlike SWTOR, there is evidence to show for it. 

Of course there will be people that don't like GW2. There are threads here repeatedly at how not having a scripted PvE Whack-A-Mole end-game will spell disaster for GW2. But that's life. Can't please everyone.

*Edit: Nevermind, I get it. Still, I hope my answer, especially the last few paragraphs clears up how I feel about not liking SWTOR. 

Exactly, sadly people only use this argument when they are defending their own favorite game.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Hype generated by the developers and publishers is one aspect of a unreleased MMO i do not like.

Hype generated by fans and reporters is beyond the control of the devs. or publishers and therefore not the same thing as what SWTOR and so many other MMO releases have done in the past.

In fact the things ANet have told us all about in GW2, they have shown working and playing in demos.

I will never in all my long mmo years understand the hatred towards an unreleased video game. I think its fear from hardcore players of existing games that they will lose there playerbase. I dunno its really strange. Maybe i am just an old player whos not hip with todays things (ie hate on everything).

Lolipops !

Exactly, sadly people only use this argument when they are defending their own favorite game.

I hope you realise I wasn't out to defend a game, or trash another one (in this thread anyway).

Merely stating why it's unfair to compare ArenaNet/GW2 "hype" with hype from other developers/games like BW/EA and SWTOR. 

As for accusing me of selectively "defending their own game" -- that's a little silly, don't you think? I mean "Can't please everyone" really applies across all walks of life. So I'm not refuting that. 

But it is possible to not like something but see that it is well-crafted. I love AoC but I realise it's a junk game because FC doesn't care about it and mismanaged their game. I think that Blizzard has made great decisions with WoW but unfortunately, I can't stand to play WoW. I'm not a fan of the Transformers movies but I can see that the special effects are great, and that Megan Foxx is hot. 

If you're getting bent out of shape over me trashing SWTOR, then let me state this to make it clear: SWTOR is mediocre in every sense of the word. For ME it is a terrible game, and I would never play it. That said, is it the worst game on earth? Probably not. 

I hope you realise I wasn't out to defend a game, or trash another one (in this thread anyway).

Merely stating why it's unfair to compare ArenaNet/GW2 "hype" with hype from other developers/games like BW/EA and SWTOR. 

As for accusing me of selectively "defending their own game" -- that's a little silly, don't you think? I mean "Can't please everyone" really applies across all walks of life. So I'm not refuting that. 

But it is possible to not like something but see that it is well-crafted. I love AoC but I realise it's a junk game because FC doesn't care about it and mismanaged their game. I think that Blizzard has made great decisions with WoW but unfortunately, I can't stand to play WoW. I'm not a fan of the Transformers movies but I can see that the special effects are great, and that Megan Foxx is hot. 

If you're getting bent out of shape over me trashing SWTOR, then let me state this to make it clear: SWTOR is mediocre in every sense of the word. For ME it is a terrible game, and I would never play it. That said, is it the worst game on earth? Probably not. 

Not its double standards and hypocricy that bothers me (posting history never lies).

Not its double standards and hypocricy that bothers me (posting history never lies).

Why should you have to look up my post history -- I'm very upfront about the fact that I think SWTOR is a horrible game. I stated as much in my post, duh. 

My original post in THIS thread is about the hype -- so whatever claim you want to make regarding my alleged hypocrisy is frankly confusing to me. Your confusing pre-game hype (what this thread is about) with the actual product*. 

*In this case, SWTOR is mediocre and GW2 (even in it's current state) is quite amazing. 

Why should you have to look up my post history -- I'm very upfront about the fact that I think SWTOR is a horrible game. I stated as much in my post, duh. 

My original post in THIS thread is about the hype -- so whatever claim you want to make regarding my alleged hypocrisy is frankly confusing to me. Your confusing pre-game hype (what this thread is about) with the actual product*. 

*In this case, SWTOR is mediocre and GW2 (even in it's current state) is quite amazing. 

I did because when after days and days of bashing SWTOR when you were told to move on or that game is not for you or that 'Bioware can not please everyone' you decided to continue and infurate people with name calling and insults. Sorry but everything is there in posting history i don't even need to make shit up here.

So i find it hilarious that you are telling us now that 'can't please everyone'. How come you never thought about this during your marathon run of ' i am gonna bash the hell out of this game everyday'.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

So, the last couple of days there was a thread which basicaly said that EA/Bioware paid IGN to give the game a good score. So far, there have been a lot of positive articles about about Guild Wars 2 on IGN, Game Informer, GAmespot....at what point do we start accusing the makers of this game of the same thing? Just wondering. LOL

Originally posted by Jakard

So, the last couple of days there was a thread which basicaly said that EA/Bioware paid IGN to give the game a good score. So far, there have been a lot of positive articles about about Guild Wars 2 on IGN, Game Informer, GAmespot....at what point do we start accusing the makers of this game of the same thing? Just wondering. LOL

Nope..because like i said earlier. If the game you dislike get positive reviews, critics and reviewers are being paid but if the game you like gets positive reviews, reviewers are for sure people with ingerity and self respect. 

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by Timeout77

I have to say the main Draw of this game is that its B2P. I mean it can have 1000+ bugs And would not care. I DONT HAVE TO PAY ONE DIME TO KEEP PLAYING IT. Bugs get fixed, balance gets sorted but not having to pay for it for a change IS A GOOD THING...

TERA is the other game im looking at and Betwen TERA and GW2 if people give both games a fair shot we have a good chans of breaking BIOWARE/EA for good.

Lets hope SWTOR numbers fall to less then 50k in a year. Iv hated SWTOR since the first fucking day BIOWARES deves steped up on that stage at E3, declaring they invented the forth pillar "LAME AS STORY". And EA is just crap " just litsten to DANA WHITE, president of the UFC, he hates them like the plague for good reason". ALL The studios EA take over they RUIN..... feel sorry for FAILCOM that they have now joined up with them.. As FAILCOM wasent bad enough by themselves they had to team up with EA to release the SECRET FAIL..

Lol, you really hate swtor, like most of the gw2 fanboys. Sadly for u guys, the game is far far far and far away to be a fail and is the most successful MMO post-WoW, live with it.  GW2 is b2p, people will buy it and keep their subs with TOR, after all they are 2 different games. You need to undestand that in the MMO world people get bored pretty fast, GW2 is a B2P mmo, it won't get content updates anytime soon so at the end GW2 will be all about e-sport PvP and the WvW every 15 days, believe it or not, lots of people will get bored of that like they did with warhammer RvR. Bioware and swtor have content updates everysingle month, with a huge patch coming in march and is just the beginning, im really sorry for you, but like i said before swtor is far far and far away to fail. live with it. 

i´ll be playing gw2 too, but just for the WvWvW. 

Guild Wars 2 reveiw scores will be just as worthless to me, for all the same reasons as any mmo review. between potential NCSoft payola and the review being done during the honeymoon phase.

no different than any other MMO. the game itself, that's a whole different story.

I did because when after days and days of bashing SWTOR whne you were told to move on or that game is not for you or that 'Bioware can not please everyone' you decided to continue and infurate people with name calling and insults. Sorry but everything is there in posting history i don't even need to make shit up here.

Feel free to point out where I did this. I don't visit the SWTOR forums that often anymore and when I do, I never presume to post in threads that actually have something to do directly with the game. That would be dishonest.

So this is you miscomprehending my posts or confusing me with someone else.  

So i find it hilarious that you are telling us now that 'can't please everyone'.

...What? 

When did I say this game could please everyone? 

How come you never thought about this during your marathon run of ' i am gonna bash the hell out of this game everyday'.

Because I hoped BW would turn things around? Because most of my posts were pre-release? Because most of my posts were a bunch of predictions based on red flags I saw over the course of development? Because I saw most of BW's claims as false? Because I was tired of fanbois of that game saying it was the second coming when clearly it wasn't? 

If you're such a sleuth, you'd know this given how familiar you are with my post history. /eyeroll

It's not like I set out to bash SWTOR. I "bash" it (don't even like to use that word) because it is a mediocre game. Obviously there are those that enjoy it; more power to them.

If you still consider me a hypocrite, I'd suggest:

1. Looking up and really understanding the definition of hypocrisy

2. Re-reading my posts

3. Processing 1+2 at a level that is higher than an elementary one

And to bring this back on track, I'll close with this: 

BioWare's hype of SWTOR was baseless and dishonest. It came from the developer.

Arena Net has put out a product and because it's quite amazing, people decide to hype it up.

When the actual gameplay experience does not coincide with the reviews*. 

I would have hoped that such a basic concept would be apparent to most but after my discussion in this thread with the other poster, I think that would be too much to hope for. 

*You know, like when the reviews were claiming how SWTOR has an amazing, in-depth world and awesome combat - and the reality was anything but: the game had a dead world, ability lag, broken PvP, etc. 

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by Timeout77

Lol, you really hate swtor, like most of the gw2 fanboys. Sadly for u guys, the game is far far far and far away to be a fail and is the most successful MMO post-WoW, live with it.  GW2 is b2p, people will buy it and keep their subs with TOR, after all they are 2 different games. You need to undestand that in the MMO world people get bored pretty fast, GW2 is a B2P mmo, it won't get content updates anytime soon so at the end GW2 will be all about e-sport PvP and the WvW every 15 days, believe it or not, lots of people will get bored of that like they did with warhammer RvR. Bioware and swtor have content updates everysingle month, with a huge patch coming in march and is just the beginning, im really sorry for you, but like i said before swtor is far far and far away to fail. live with it. 

i´ll be playing gw2 too, but just for the WvWvW. 

dont get your hopes up for the content patch... just another patch to make the game unaccessable till they hot fix it another 8 times to let you login again... as for most successful since WoW.. it had high initial.. i bet when Q1 2012 numbers come out.. i dont say Q4 2011 which ends in march, because they are releasing the game to asia pacific to *blur* the actual number due to people buying in said regions and probably being in there free 30 days making there numbers look good again.. we'll see how good retention is... i played a guardian to 50 and i was underwhelmed.. i cleared EV 4/5 nightmare.. kraggas was full clear heroic with 2 down in nightmare.. and outside of waiting for a raid timer to expire / collecting my datacrons and getting my 3rd rakata piece from dailies the game had nothing to offer it was another lobby game plain and simple, as for you saying Anet wont release content and patches.. clearly you didnt play GW1 for very long if at all otherwise you'd know better

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Just wondered what MMO's you do (or did) like? Seems like GWII has something for most except raid grinding loot hamsters (though I can't understand why people would not try a game that did not have that) and maybe crafters. 

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

When the actual gameplay experience does not coincide with the reviews*. 

I would have hoped that such a basic concept would be apparent to most but after my discussion in this thread with the other poster, I think that would be too much to hope for. 

*You know, like when the reviews were claiming how SWTOR has an amazing, in-depth world and awesome combat - and the reality was anything but: the game had a dead world, ability lag, broken PvP, etc. 

exactly this... swtor shipped at release with acknowledged by the devs mind you broken combat and client to server global cooldown recognition.. the devs knew, they were working to fix it... they released the game anyway, clearly a good step for a new MMO to be launched, i dont hate the game and i hope it gets a lot better i'd consider playing it again and seeing what they have done... but it's all the little things it's missing that makes it unenjoyable to say the least

Feel free to point out where I did this. I don't visit the SWTOR forums that often anymore and when I do, I never presume to post in threads that actually have something to do directly with the game. That would be dishonest.

So this is you miscomprehending my posts or confusing me with someone else.  

No i am not confusing you with anyone else. Posting history is open to see for anyone so i don't want to waste my time quoting posts when it takes 2 mins just to see it for yourself. Calling people 'biodrones' insulting them for enjoying something you didn't. Doom and gloom and how game is going to die or dyign soon. Typical behaviour that goes on for days.

...What? 

i am just asking you why you paid attention to same wisdom when others kept telling you that 'SWTOR isn't for everyone'? that logic goes for just any MMO in existence.

Because I hoped BW would turn things around? Because most of my posts were pre-release? Because most of my posts were a bunch of predictions based on red flags I saw over the course of development? Because I saw most of BW's claims as false? Because I was tired of fanbois of that game saying it was the second coming when clearly it wasn't? 

No they are not... most of your posts are after release. Granted i played only beta but i never saw BW makign any false claims. A lot of things were twisted by people like you though. As far as SWTOR is second coming...you mean just like how fans claim GW2 is the second coming?

If you're such a sleuth, you'd know this given how familiar you are with my post history. /eyeroll

Don't need to be faimilar with your posting history but i do make habit of checking it atleast once because it gives me a good idea about person i am enegaged in discussion with.

It's not like I set out to bash SWTOR. I "bash" it (don't even like to use that word) because it is a mediocre game. Obviously there are those that enjoy it; more power to them.

Thats not the attitude you had when you were bashing the hell out of the game everyday. 

If you still consider me a hypocrite, I'd suggest:

1. Looking up and really understanding the definition of hypocrisy

2. Re-reading my posts

3. Processing 1+2 at a level that is higher than an elementary one

I did it... and all your posts stay true to 'double standars'

And to bring this back on track, I'll close with this: 

BioWare's hype of SWTOR was baseless and dishonest. It came from the developer.

Arena Net has put out a product and because it's quite amazing, people decide to hype it up.

The hype of SWTOR came from fans and Bioware never made false claims and they gave you what they promised from very beginning' a quest based themepark MMO', nothing less and nothing more.

Originally posted by Gorilla

Just wondered what MMO's you do (or did) like? Seems like GWII has something for most except raid grinding loot hamsters (though I can't understand why people would not try a game that did not have that) and maybe crafters. 

I've pretty much enjoyed everything I've played (WoW, RIFT, AoC, Aion and EVE -- I was in WoW, RIFT and AoC the longest).

I dislike SWTOR because it has nothing going for it for me. I hoped it would be everything BW promise dit would over the 4 year course of it's development.

Along the way, I noticed several red flags and decided to counter all the claims the fanbois made. Guess what, all my claims have been validated and I probably dislike SWTOR slightly more (than it deserves as far as actual gameplay goes) because how obnoxious the fanboys have been -- and of course, how right I was the whole damn time.  

I'm more than willing to say that a game is not for me: Aion wasn't for me. Too much of an uphill struggle. Some people enjoy that, I don't. I adore EVE but I just don't have the time (now) to get invested in it - and when you don't know people in EVE, it is a lonely experience especially because the gameplay isn't very fun by itself.