Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect 3 requires Origin

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I would order it through Origin if it was not for the fact that my brick n mortar stor have a lojalty program and that i want the physical CE version.

This have been a good conversation

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

There are hundreds if not thousands of games that require Steam to play.  People don't complain about this though because Valve is somehow the 'good guys'

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Tardcore

An industry that treats its paying customers like criminals while actually doing nothing to stop the people who do not supprt these companies, yet enjoy their products anyway, can in my opinion go piss up a rope.

There's not a whole lot they can do to stop it, that's the problem, when half of the offenders are in countries who do not help track these individuals down, what can you do? And to say "actually doing nothing" to stop it?Come on now, get real,  It's not in game companies hands to stop crime, that's up to law makers, and those who enforce those laws, what the hell is Pointdexter going to do, if freaking Robocop can't get it done?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1216562p1.html

Oh lovely. Like EA wasn't bad enough with SWTOR, now they're forcing Origin down our throats. Are they on a crusade to piss off as many PC gamers as possible or something?

I don't see the problem

You have to login everytime you play a MMO, so why getting so hot and bothered if you have to do the same with a single player game?

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Not sure about anyone else but I don't have an issue with this.

Will keep my pre-order. :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Distopia

An industry that treats its paying customers like criminals while actually doing nothing to stop the people who do not supprt these companies, yet enjoy their products anyway, can in my opinion go piss up a rope.

There's not a whole lot they can do to stop it, that's the problem, when half of the offenders are in countries who do not help track these individuals down, what can you do? And to say "actually doing nothing" to stop it?Come on now, get real,  It's not in game companies hands to stop crime, that's up to law makers, and those who enforce those laws, what the hell is Pointdexter going to do, if freaking Robocop can't get it done?

Sorry, guess I should have clarifyed my point better. I'm not saying it is the job of these companies to stop piracy. I'm saying that they are however trying to do so using methods that do nothing but hamper and annoy legitimate customers. That make more sense?

The only thing these companies can do to get people to buy their product is to create worthwhile games, sell them at a reasonable price, and treat their customers justly and with respect so said customers feel like continuing to support them with their filthy lucre. I see the new policy of forcing customers to use a service such as Steam or Origin when there is absoloutely no logical need to do so as massively disrespectful and will lead to nothing but the creation of consumer ill will where none needed to exist. Meaning idividuals such as myself who would under normal circumstances been a happy paying customer, instead deciding to pass on buying the game all together.

It also helps to add justification to the argument of those individuals who never had any intention of purchasing a legitimate copy of the game in the first place.

I fail to see how either scenario is in any way beneficial to the game's creators or publisher.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by ste2000

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1216562p1.html

Oh lovely. Like EA wasn't bad enough with SWTOR, now they're forcing Origin down our throats. Are they on a crusade to piss off as many PC gamers as possible or something?

I don't see the problem

You have to login everytime you play a MMO, so why getting so hot and bothered if you have to do the same with a single player game?

I'm sorry mate but that logic makes about as much sense as saying that since you have to be plugged into a telco socket to use a home phone, there should be no issue with companies making you do the same with your mobile.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by TGSOL

Remember, Bioware becoming a part of EA will change absolutely nothing what-so-ever. All you critics who believe that EA will somehow negatively influence Bioware releases are stupid.

Signed,

Every Bioware fanboy in 2009 after the merger.

No, it is you who are ignorant and dont know about EA's track record about aquiring upcoming companies and then destroying them so they produce only soulless trash.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

same thing happened when valve started steam, and it's happening again for every game EA released lately.

dont you guys have anything new to flame about? we gave a fuck last time, we still do so now :)

"meeeh i am against origin! NO IDEA WHY! BUT I AM!"

whatever ^^

uh, and EA aquired bioware 5 years ago. time to get over it? no?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

it is getting a bit big brotherish. first there was steam/valve and now you got to log in to ea or origin to play a game that is stand alone and you have the cd to.

you expect to have to have internet account for a mmo, after all you are playing it online. but for a game that you are playing on your own pc why should they know when you log in to the game every time?

if this is the way that it's going to be for every game in future even when you have the physical cd it is going to get bad.

if you have to have an account just to authenticate the game initialy it's not so bad, but look at skyrim, have to run steam even in offline mode to play it. 

why should we have to do this for a stand alone game? it's a big invasion of privacy

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

Sorry, guess I should have clarifyed my point better. I'm not saying it is the job of these companies to stop piracy. I'm saying that they are however trying to do so using methods that do nothing but hamper and annoy legitimate customers. That make more sense?

The only thing these companies can do to get people to buy their product is to create worthwhile games, sell them at a reasonable price, and treat their customers justly and with respect so said customers feel like continuing to support them with their filthy lucre. I see the new policy of forcing customers to use a service such as Steam or Origin when there is absoloutely no logical need to do so as massively disrespectful and will lead to nothing but the creation of consumer ill will where none needed to exist. Meaning idividuals such as myself who would under normal circumstances been a happy paying customer, instead deciding to pass on buying the game all together.

It also helps to add justification to the argument of those individuals who never had any intention of purchasing a legitimate copy of the game in the first place.

I fail to see how either scenario is in any way beneficial to the game's creators or publisher.

That's key..

I figure you're the sort I can talk to frankly so don't take my lanuage or wording as an attack, it's just a lot easier to express just how fubar'd this entire scenario is for all involved. It's really a matter of the good with the bad, I think one side has to give, either companies accept taking a loss, or customers accept dealing with third party software, because we all know piracy is not going to stop.

Is it bad that I just realized how "Nerd" the two characters are in the scenario above?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Personally don't give a rats ass if it makes me install origin... It will jut get uninstalled when the game doe after because I simply don't need it.

EA are making a mistake though IMO. Sure, users will use the service for a game they are already invested in but forcing it on people with new games in the future?

it will act as a barrier to sales I think.

I am already in the 'wait and see' camp with all BW games that are made under the banner of EA after DA2 and SWTOR, adding yet more BS on top of that most likely see me passing up new offerings in the future out of hand.

It's actually getting to the point where I am near saying 'fuck you EA' and grabbing a pirate copies of their games just to spite them, and I have always been firmly in the 'buy games and support the industry I love' camp.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Yamota

Remember, Bioware becoming a part of EA will change absolutely nothing what-so-ever. All you critics who believe that EA will somehow negatively influence Bioware releases are stupid.

Signed,

No, it is you who are ignorant and dont know about EA's track record about aquiring upcoming companies and then destroying them so they produce only soulless trash.

I don't consider "Alice: Madness Returns, Mass Effect2, Dead Space' soulless trash but that's just me. vOv

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Drakxii

2012's most pirated game.

This.

Forcing log-in (or ridiculous DRM's ,etc)for single player game ,result in this.

Ubisoft can say something about it :)

Originally posted by Vesavius

Personally don't give a rats ass if it makes me install origin... It will jut get uninstalled when the game doe after because I simply don't need it.

EA are making a mistake though IMO. Sure, users will use the service for a game they are already invested in but forcing it on people with new games in the future?

I am already in the 'wait and see' camp with all BW games that are made under the banner of EA after DA2 and SWTOR, adding yet more BS on top of that most likely see me passing up new offerings in the future out of hand.

It's actually getting to the point where I am near saying 'fuck you EA' and grabbing a pirate copies of their games just to spite them, and I have always been firmly in the 'buy games and support the industry I love' camp.

Well I don't know that it effects sales, just look at Skyrim, New Vegas..ect..

Originally posted by jpnz

Originally posted by Yamota

Signed,

I don't consider "Alice: Madness Returns, Mass Effect2, Dead Space' soulless trash but that's just me. vOv

Diffrent tastes I guess.

Havnet played Alice ,but ME2 was souless trash compared to ME1.

Originally posted by fenistil

Diffrent tastes I guess.

Hmm I feel the opposite, ME1 had horrible combat and gameplay systems IMO. It was trying too hard at being two things, ME2 was an improvement in that they took it in one concise direction.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Diffrent tastes I guess.

? Different tastes indeed. Personally I found it a great sequel, sure, it didn't have the oomph factor that a new franchise and world have when you 1st get introduced to it, and it has the typical issues that a 2nd part of a trilogy has, but despite that they did wonderfully with it imo. To a lot of other gamers as well.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Vesavius

Well I don't know that it effects sales, just look at Skyrim, New Vegas..ect..

Sorry Dis, I don't understand... those games didn't require Origin?

Diffrent tastes I guess.

Hmm I feel the opposite, ME1 had horrible combat and gameplay systems IMO. It was trying too hard at being two things, ME2 was an improvement in that they took it in one concise direction.

True ME1 had problems you wrote  - in ME2 they just went in wrong direction for me. Into casualization, streamlining, simplyfying and more shooter & cinematic movie experience.

Which is not nothing bad mind you. I am sure many people like it and there is nothing wrong with it.

Just totally not my tastes and I was very disappointed and game haven't provided me with fun I expected cause of that.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by warmaster670

ah hypocrisy at its finest, whine whine whine about this, but nothing about Valve, a comapny whos been doing the EXACT SAME THING for almost a decade.

Nothing but more mindless EA hate.

LOL, you act like EA doesn't deserve hate image

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Warmaker

ah hypocrisy at its finest, whine whine whine about this, but nothing about Valve, a comapny whos been doing the EXACT SAME THING for almost a decade.

Actually no gaming company deserves hate. I am surprised that people hate companies over video games. I hate terrorists, human and drug traffickers, i hate politicians and suits in wall street but EA, Valve and Steam? no way.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Originally posted by Warmaker

Actually no gaming company deserves hate. I am surprised that people hate companies over video games. I hate terrorists, human and drug traffickers, i hate politicians and suits in wall street but EA, Valve and Steam? no way.

So, yeah, anyways.

EA's practices suck.  They've been doing that for years, but Activision has been beating them at douchebaggery for the last couple years.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Originally posted by Ikeda  And unlike Origins, Valve is ESTABLISHED. 

Comparing a company to a program? desperate much? whether you like EA or not there established just fine.

He obviously meant Steam.

And good job completely ignoring valid, well-supported points to focus on one single sentence that was utlimately of no consequence anyway.

How would you know whether i ignored them or not? did you watch me read it? no?

I didnt know who to believe at first...   then you responded like this, proving you are the one who is clueless.  Thanks.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Mountian out of a mole hill, I'm sure the world as we know it has ended and we are all living in the dream that exists in the aftermath, or nothing really has happened and its one person losing there mind over nothing AGAIN!