Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Speaking of new things

kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Happened by CCP's Youtube channel and caught this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=aI4VkO6qr0U

Thoughts?

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

It really makes me want to play Eve, then I remember I never make it more than 2 or 3 weeks before quitting again.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

My thoughts are that that was a long winded video that said nothing that made the game look fun.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

My thoughts are that that was a long winded video that said nothing that made the game look fun.

Everything in that video made the game sound fun. Unless your a person who doens't like that kind of stuff. Clearly your not, and that's ok.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Originally posted by tyrannis

Everything in that video made the game sound fun. Unless your a person who doens't like that kind of stuff. Clearly your not, and that's ok.

You're.

And you're probably right.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

CCP is one of the developers I look at wonder why others don't get it. When it comes to game design and presenting a world that really is moving and changing all the time they are tops. I wonder if you gave a design team with their eye on how freeform gameplay is and then give them a budget of 300 Million and see what they can do.

Space is something they know can't deny that; with World of Darkness (I know right) we'll find out what how same translation would work in a "themepark" setting on the ground. I doubt it would "themepark" but this is maybe the best way to describe without getting a conversation started on it.

The days where we may have the EVE of space and the Next-Gen (themepark) all in one is something that might not be that far off. It all comes down to the dollars and sense (not cents). Once publishers see that the current business model of a themepark is not the way the genre is heading we'll see the drastic changes we've all been hoping for.

Titles that fail serve their purpose in MMO evolution as much as the few successes. It teaches consumers to think twice before spending $120 on a brandname and show both developers / publishers that we won't just suck up to their marketing hooplah and that they actually NEED substance behind the glitz-n-glam.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

2 things that i find differs from the actual eve experience.

1. The graphics in the promo vid are higher res than what you get in game.or rather, your eve experience doesn't visually reflect what u see in the video.

2.Jump gates. Jump gates are a vital part of eve, but i really wish they weren't there. Traveling from one destination to another using eves "conventual warp engines" would imo make the universe whole and immersive.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• wacked37wacked37 Member UncommonPosts: 29

Distances between solar systems are ~1 light year. The fastest warping ship (rigged Interceptor) warps at 15 AU per second.

1 light year = 63239.6717 Astronomical Units

63239 au / 15 au/s = 4216 seconds = 1.17 hours.

Not to mention that a ship's capacitor only lets them warp about 100 AU at a time. You'd be taking quite a few pit stops; I'd bet it would take 3 hours to move between systems if you had to use the on-ship warp drive.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by wacked37

Distances between solar systems are ~1 light year. The fastest warping ship (rigged Interceptor) warps at 15 AU per second.

1 light year = 63239.6717 Astronomical Units

63239 au / 15 au/s = 4216 seconds = 1.17 hours.

Not to mention that a ship's capacitor only lets them warp about 100 AU at a time. You'd be taking quite a few pit stops; I'd bet it would take 3 hours to move between systems if you had to use the on-ship warp drive.

Haha that would be rough, i think traveling is long enough as it is. ;D

Only thing I wish was different in EVE is that highsec wasnt just located in the middle with low sec around and null outside that, it should be 4 zones of high with low sec in between to make it more interesting. ;<

• wacked37wacked37 Member UncommonPosts: 29

The shorter routes between the market capitals involve low sec systems, but you are right: you can get there with high-sec only routes.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

I actually like that video, it gives a good quick summary of what new players can do to make themselves viable allies in a short period of time. Making a particular note of specializing and joining a corp early was a very good idea.

Where's the any key?

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Great, I dont think they meant to give the impression that its some kind of kiddies fun fun happy game.

Eve can be frustrating, challenging and complex and the feelings of reward you get from your acomplishments and acheivments can hardly be categorised as "fun"

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

I like that they're pushing that it's a social game and that you need to find a corp with similar interests to yours right away.

Here's another new video of theirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc0Xx3MZ4I4

Is she supposed to be a robot or is that her acting style? 

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

I didn't care for that one tbh.