Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A thought or two

Like so many here I have been gaming for a very long time, can you say GSIII from the AOL days lol, anyhow something has gone horribly wrong lately within the industry.  I am not talking about the influx of some very mean and nasty people that post like they are the ultimate source of knowledge either. It is with the games, at one point in time you could log on play EQ and barely move your xp bar forward that night hell maybe even go backwards, but at the end of the night you had a blast.

Have the devs made these games to fast to level in therefore wiping put any community building and comradarie within that game? Is the race to max level the biggest demon now pocessing these games? The gear grind is another serious flaw, IMHO that has ruined the experience as well, man I really miss my triple layered composite armor from SWG, oh wait that was player made, god forbid we have that. 

See what I am getting at here, games now are a reflection of our current generation of gamers that want instant gratification with minimal output., or is it possibly the devs themselves that have created this atmosphere? I personally feel that the leveling needs to be increased drastically, 3 months to max level while nowhere near EQ days should not drive many people away while at the same time build a good community within the game. Empowering the players in game  would go a long way, giving them like minded objectives, like keep holding in DAOC, or city building in SWG. Just some thoughts from a vet that sees this industry falling apart.

Comments

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

This was clearly at least 3 thoughts. Thread title is a lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Not enough coffee yet I can't count :P

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

I see what you're getting at, and I think it can be assumed that the current lowering of the standard can be attributed to both developer and consumer.

In order to get more people into the game, you have to have less things that take away from the player.  So death penalties have pretty much disappeared. (And honestly, I believe this is a good thing, but not from this angle, moreso because it encourages more people to engage in pvp if they know that it's minimal risk).

But the people who have been playing these games have been pretty much satisfied with whatever drivel is produced, whether it is actually good or bad.

I like to think of the current MMO development over the past decade to be the BOOM of creation.  Now we are in a refinement period.  WoW is leaking subscribers and more and more devs are moving into alternative MMOs that seek to refine the elements that made MMOs good.  And EVERYONE has a different idea of what that is.

Rift really elaborated on the traditional MMO form, and I believe is the best successor of the EQ type.

SWTOR unfortunately went in the wrong direction.  The Bioware take on story is great don't get me wrong, but the rest of the game is too much carbon copy.  It's definitely a good game, but it sticks too close to this formula.

GW2 is taking a good direction, less focus on end game, it'll be interesting to watch this develop.

TSW also looks like a good contender, no levels, but easily accessible. 

EVE continues to be the shining star of a sandbox.  And I hope more games have sandbox elements.

ArcheAge looks like it'll fashion out to be a great hybrid MMO and will hopefully lead to more games like this.

TERA's combat is also a breath of fresh air that I wish more MMOs would embrace.

In the next couple years, I'm hoping that the community will start better identifying what it is they like in MMOs.  WoW is no longer the only real contender.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

I had so much hype for SWTOR when in reality I knew what it was, I guess I was hoping that the storyline would continue post 50 and not become a gear gtind, one can wish right?

I am looking forward to GW2 for the mass PvP or to put it correctly WvWvW, I miss that from DAOC made logging in every night fun. Will the TSW have it not sure it is themepark, while I do agree that EvE is awesome my time as a goon is in the past. 

Something is lacking anymore, and I honestly feel it is the player community rallying around an objective, cause or whatever, i.e. everyone contributing to building a vity in SWG, I mean you had the crafters, the harvesters, even casual players all behind the effort to build a player city. 

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

In almost every other thread in pub, I can ctrl+f one of these phrases:

gear grind

current generation

instant gratification

good community

daoc

vet

old school

old days

race to max level

sandbox

themepark

on rails

linear

open world

kiddies

You have 7.  Apparently the mods don't require you to be original with your posts but could you guys please consolidate your posts

Also if you like GSIII then maybe you should go play GS IV

Originally posted by Khaeros

gear grind

current generation

instant gratification

good community

daoc

vet

old school

old days

race to max level

sandbox

themepark

on rails

linear

open world

kiddies

You have 7.  Apparently the mods don't require you to be original with your posts but could you guys please consolidate your posts

You missed the one about nasty and ignorant people and you fit the bill

Originally posted by Dreadblade

gear grind

current generation

instant gratification

good community

daoc

vet

old school

old days

race to max level

sandbox

themepark

on rails

linear

open world

kiddies

Epic! The thread is now complete!

Sometimes you have to break some eggs to make an omelet

It's hard to be ignorant of a topic that's been thrown on pub almost every day, too.  I know the thread scrolls too fast for you guys, maybe we'll get a sticky for all of these threads

And don't bite my style bro, sentences without periods make me hip

Sometimes you have to break some eggs to make an omelet

It's hard to be ignorant of a topic that's been thrown on pub almost every day, too.  I know the thread scrolls too fast for you guys, maybe we'll get a sticky for all of these threads

And don't bite my style bro, sentences without periods make me hip

I didn't realize that I had to run my posts through you, maybe you should apply for the Pub posting Nazi position. Seriously why do people like you feel the need to lambast and critique what others post, does it make feel like you are wearing big boy pants?

I didn't realize that I had to run my posts through you, maybe you should apply for the Pub posting Nazi position. Seriously why do people like you feel the need to lambast and critique what others post, does it make feel like you are wearing big boy pants?

Sounds like a plan

And bro, I'm not wearing any pants - just for you.

To be fair dread your thread was pretty generic and uninsightful. You can still post it though.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

See what I am getting at here, games now are a reflection of our current generation of gamers that want instant gratification with minimal output., or is it possibly the devs themselves that have created this atmosphere?

Of course, when your games came out, the older generation of gamers were shaking their heads at the lazy kids who didn't even have to deposit another quarter and start over from the beginning of the game every time they died.

Originally posted by Cuathon

To be fair dread your thread was pretty generic and uninsightful. You can still post it though.

So that gives people the right to insult you, got it.

Yes it does. And you can just ignore them if they are wrong. What's the big deal?

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Welcome to MMORPG.com: The place where the disgruntled and the haters come to forum pvp.... 

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Don't listen to Cuathon, he is just angry about his wife being a psycho-empress.

"But to be fair" this is the 10th thread with this subject matter this week. 

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

Originally posted by Edeus

Don't listen to Cuathon, he is just angry about his wife being a psycho-empress.

Yeah but she is hot. You are just jelly.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Originally posted by Edeus

Yeah but she is hot. You are just jelly.

Psshh, she probably has that bear-woman hand maid watch you while your in bed... ready to claw your eyes out...

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

I agree.  A slower process would be more enjoyable to me.  I want to feel like I've accomplished something just by gaining a level, or completing a quest.  The players have made the journey into a burden when the journey should be the meat of the entire game experience.