Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.COM News: NCSoft Games Impressions

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

MMORPG.com was lucky enough to go on a whirlwilnd tour on the Concourse as we saw the three biggest games in production at NCSoft and the recent smash hit Guild Wars. The article includes information on all four titles.

image Character customization was the fun of CoH and CoV is no different. They had some scary super villains, and once again, you could spend hours in production before you even bother playing the game. Then they took it to a new level with the addition of an evil headquarters builder. This is to CoV what character customization was to CoH. This is much like a simplified development tool, or perhaps the Sims. Here you can build the layer in a highly interactive and customizable visual interface. You apply textures, move floors, add rooms and generally have a lot of fun. The entire thing reminded me a bit of Evil Genius – in a good way. For those heroes out there, do not fret. This will extend back to the original game for those of you who buy the new title as well.

The new game is a series of islands that have become a home for all nefarious actions on Earth. The title features seven PvE zones where players can rob banks, abduct people, steal treasure and much more, as well as four PvP zones where the citizens of Paragon City will cross over with their evil opposition in full out PvP. The PvP model of the new CoH/CoV is more like Dark Age of Camelot – in that it is optional.

To read the full articles on Auto Assault, Guild Wars, Tabula Rasa and City of Villains click here!

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Dana, you have me scarred now!  image

About CoV, you say PvP is like DAoC, but in DAoC, PvP is not optional, if you want the best PvE gear, you have to hunt in PvP zones.  I was under the impression that PvE players would not be penalised if they dont PvP, with 4 zones dedicated to PvP, both roads are possibles.

Will a PvE player feel any ''obligation'' to go hunt in the PvP zones in order to progress further and be the best in the PvE?  Graphics rewards is not an obligation to PvP(unless insane difference), where stats that change your power in PvE is an obligation to go get it!  If they put Hamidon v2.0 in 1 of those 4 PvP zones, it will at least make sure I dont even bother to try the game!  image (The enforced Hamidon is a mistake)

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

OK - you have a point. What I meant was that it would be like Dark Age of Camelot in that the areas are segregated. You wont have Heroes running around killing you in the newbie zone ;)

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Sorry to be such a big ''wuss''!  image

Now I am not scarred anymore and back to quiet and waiting nervously!image

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• mylastnervmylastnerv Member Posts: 3

In all the NC Soft coverage I've seen . . . NO ONE seems to bring up ExSteel . . . this was a totally cool game idea, and it was very fun to play. I mean, a mecha-mmo ala Gundam style.

Did everyone just skip over this game?

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

I looked at it and played it a bit but it's not a true MMO, at least it doesn't fall under the guidelines we have for which games we cover. It's an MMO in the same way that FPSes are MMOs. But I agree, very cool concept and great looking game, just not what we cover here at mmorpg.com.

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

Originally posted by mylastnerv
    In all the NC Soft coverage I've seen . . . NO ONE seems to bring up ExSteel . . . this was a totally cool game idea, and it was very fun to play. I mean, a mecha-mmo ala Gundam style.
    Did everyone just skip over this game?

It was also not included in the typical press tour.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• mylastnervmylastnerv Member Posts: 3

Well that's cool. I was wondering why it was if the game didn't exist on all the NC Soft coverage I've seen in a couple of online spots. It is an awesome concept, and I'm lookin forward to it. Thanks alot for the explanation guys.

Did anyone happen to know if any more of NC Soft's games were gonna be free online? If anything any idea of the price range on the newer games. I'm sure it'll be standard fare. Guild Wars is just spoiling me.

As far as I know, the games I saw with exception of Guild Wars are all pay to play.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• djpearcedjpearce Member Posts: 38

Apologies for reviving such an old thread but this article was just so factually incorrect that it got me riled.

My big issue with the article: NCSoft is the Market Leader in MMORPG's. You state that it is now ready to join the big boys, mmm 4.5 million subscribers for lineage and lineage II makes the pishy American games companies look like startups. NCSoft has done more to spread MMORPGs than any other company.

I realise that Americans like to think the world doesn't exist past Mexico and Canada (which probably accounts for the disgustingly poor levels of customer service to Europe from SOE and even DAOC) but it is the biggest already and due to it's willingness to innovate rather than rip off it will continue to grow stronger. Between Guild Wars and City of Heroes it holds two of the top four rated games amongst your visitors. In the same vein WoW is a success is because it is a world-wide success.

Please get over this American-centric view.

• NoddlesNoddles Member Posts: 1

Indeed. Some countries just like Brasil play a lot of MMORPGs and anywayz we dont get any really GOOD mmorpg server here. We got priston now (...) but and what? I agree with you, the North Americans (EUA) believe wich there is only they playin MMORPGs. The expansion of this genre is necessary, if we want to make MMORPGs more acessible.

Sorry for the poor english.

Noddles