Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the role-play in WoW?

MertzaSkertzMertzaSkertz Member UncommonPosts: 161

I played all the warcraft rts games and have read quite a few of the books. I have always enjoyed the lore of the game, but have always been focused on the raid side of things. How is the role-play community on the role play servers?

Comments

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

In my experiences, on Kirin Tor, it was pretty good initially, years ago. Over the long haul, however, things really kind of devolved, most folks who I roleplayed with are long gone, and it seems pretty much like any other server.

Cannot speak for all servers, but that is my own personal experience.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Role-what now?

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

Roleplay? Is that even in an MMO?

-I am here to perform logic

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Everytime I have tried to roll on an RP server I have noticed that the starting areas are full of just as many assclowns as any other server I have played on. It is a shame too. I never could understand why people feel the need to talk down and berate people that are trying to have fun in the game of their choice...especially when the person doing all the shit talking is a dwarf...or a gnome...or a goblin... Makes no sense.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Some roleplay servers still have pretty strong communities.  Earthen Ring is still going for sure.  Moon Guard is too, but you need to stay away from Goldshire on that server.

Check the official forums for the server you are planning on joining, and get into the user channels they have as well as any off-site networking.  You'd do well to get connected OOCly with the community because roleplay is very tight knit.

Join a guild you like the concept of, or make your own if you're feeling ambitious, and advertise with the community.

EDIT: And avoid these forums you are on now.  You won't get helpful responses here.   PM me if you need any more assistance.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

About as bad as you can expect in a game that has so few features and limits the player character so much. But, there's a lot of dance emotes at least.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

OP honestly?

None

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

The RP community was decent maybe 04-05, now?  Probably not so much.  If you are looking to do some roleplaying there are so many better games.  Hell, write down 20 random mmos not WoW on post-it notes, stick them on the wall and throw a dart at them.  Whatever MMO the dart hits is probably better than WoW for roleplay.

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

Some of the best role playing I've ever been involved in happened on Emerald Dream, a RP-PVP server.

As noted, every server has it's detractors and on the RP servers, I think they tend to stand out more than others.

The tried and true 'formula' still stands:  find yourself an active RP guild and go!

• MertzaSkertzMertzaSkertz Member UncommonPosts: 161

I know I am getting bashed by a lot of the people here. However I remember playing on a really old private server and was part of a great RP community. I would do anything to return to it, but it was shut down and everyone went there own ways.

To people saying this game does not have the tools to RP, what tools do you honestly need besides text. RP is done through forums all the time and there is no reason a themepark mmo such as wow can provide the same quality of RP.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Haven't played WoW in a while, but of the many servers I played on, I really enjoyed Maelstrom, an RP-PvP server.  Again, it's been some time, but we used to get some RP events going in Orgimmar and some other cities/towns.  Not sure how the whole RP is now though; agreed with the guy above with the "formula" of joining an RP guild and having at it.

• ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

Look for particular server events.  You can find them on either the official forums for that server, or look for external roleplaying websites like rp-haven.com or other similar places.  While RP-Haven is mostly for Shadow Council players, I believe some other players from other servers participate in some of the stuff there.

As a disclaimer, I quit World of Warcraft the day pandas were announced and have no intention of going back, so I'm not entirely sure how fun you'd find these events, but my girlfriend still plays and loves them.  She attends at least one of them every Sunday night.

Originally posted by Thrage

Look for particular server events.  You can find them on either the official forums for that server, or look for external roleplaying websites like rp-haven.com or other similar places.  While RP-Haven is mostly for Shadow Council players, I believe some other players from other servers participate in some of the stuff there.

As a disclaimer, I quit World of Warcraft the day pandas were announced and have no intention of going back, so I'm not entirely sure how fun you'd find these events, but my girlfriend still plays and loves them.  She attends at least one of them every Sunday night.

Out of curiousity, what is so bad about pandas is making you want to leave. I have yet to understand why everyone wants to leave because of pandas. 

I actually think MoP will be a great expansion and might be the closest WoW will be to vanilla in a while, returning to the focus of Horde and Alliance.

• ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

We'll just say it was the final straw in a long string of bad decisions I've seen Blizzard make over the past few years.  It's less the pandas themselves and more what they represent - namely, a direction the game is and has been going in which I don't care to be a part of.  It's not like I was thoroughly enjoying myself the day before BlizzCon.

"Returning to Horde vs Alliance" isn't really appealing to me either - I think factions are a tired, outdated system that need to get gone already.

But that's another topic.  Roleplay is alive and well in WoW, you just have to break into one of the cliques sometimes.  Roleplayers are very much in love with themselves, and usually only give you the time of day to express yourself through RP if you bootlick around for a while.  I say this as a roleplayer myself.

Either way, GLHF.

Thanks you to everyone here that was helpful, I think I will resub to wow and try a roleplay server.

• FlipTheFrogFlipTheFrog Member Posts: 23

I haven't been playing for quite a while but when I still was it was basically non-existent.

I was on two servers, one was normal, one was roleplay and there was no difference at all.

Everyone just played, no one bothered to even try, it was sad.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553
    I used to play on Earthen Ring, and left myself PVP flagged.  This gave me quite a few good roleplaying experiences, and quite the dangerous time!  *sighs*  Oh the good ol days...

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I found the RP in WoW to be sub-par - if you've ever roleplayed in a setting like MUDs or Neverwinter Nights RP servers, you're going to be very disappointed.

<3

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by MertzaSkertz

How is the role-play community on the role play servers?

The what?

Excuse the only semi-serious answer, but what you're seeking is vanishingly rare.  Through no particular fault of the gamers, Blizzard offers effectively zero support for roleplaying..beyond providing titled servers and a lip-service policy that they do not bother to enforce.

Not to say that RP doesn't happen, but it's entirely player-driven when it does.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

Long time ago I had fun with RP on The Sha'thar server. Now I have no idea. I think it's not that great anymore.

• rcubanorcubano Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Excuse the only semi-serious answer, but what you're seeking is vanishingly rare.  Through no particular fault of the gamers, Blizzard offers effectively zero support for roleplaying..beyond providing titled servers and a lip-service policy that they do not bother to enforce.

Not to say that RP doesn't happen, but it's entirely player-driven when it does.

This ^^

I didn't play WoW for -that- long, so my experience may not be the norm; but from what I've read (such as above post), it's pretty much spot on.

I joined the unofficial RP server (I think it was Moon Guard?) and I even got some 3rd party program where it allowed you to have a sort of "profile" that detailed your background and such (if you had the program too, clicking on me allowed you to bring up the profile).  I went around looking for RP.  I did find some, but the following happened way too often (which killed the prospect of continuing my attempts to RP):

1. When it came to available role-play, ERP ("erotic" role-play) dominated the cities.  Don't ask me why a cartoon-y, fantasy-based game that has absolutely nothing sexy about it has so much of this.

2. Many of the few roleplayers to be found basically trolled around the city, and felt the need to interject in role-play stories if it violated the lore in any small way.  Why they cared so much about the lore's tiny details, in a game that has motorcycles with "pwned" license plates and "BLIZZ' flags, I have no earthly idea.  Apparently, "pwned" is part of Warcraft's official in-character lexicon.

3. As the above posted stated, it seems like Blizzard goes out of it's way to make it difficult to find immersion, and "forget you're playing a game".  It's not that a game needs uber-immersive-details for roleplay, but Blizzard seemed to go the opposite way in WoW.