Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swtor...what a let down: the epitome of today's mmos

crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I wanted to like Swtor, hell, I wanted to love it.

My friends I regularly game with and I had been hyped about it's release for a year, after all not only was it the ever popular star wars genre (I was a child of the 80's so Star Wars always has a special place in my heart) but it was Bioware -  a solid studio with a great reputation for making sold, fun, games.  They had gone all out budget wise - everything seemed in place!

Open beta was fun...everything seemed as it should and I was excited for release.

At relase all my friends were all in we were playing way more then we should (drawing the wife agro often).  Then around late January we started hitting 50 and that's when it all fell apart.

At 50 (or current end game) it is literally complete crap.  PvP is utterly and completely flawed in this game at 50.  From a republic perspective lvl 50 pvp consist of either running warzone over and over and over and over and over and over trying to get your daily done, what makes this even more sad is 9 out of 10 times its huttball (just thinking of huttball makes me vomit)

Even worse, the ultimate slap in the face, quite possibly the worst pvp I've ever taken part in...Ilum.  My god this place is horrid.  What usually happens is I fly into Republic base where we have a grand population of....8! yes 8 republic with the zone locked for population... that means a whooping 92 imperials vs 8 republic.  We are then traped inside our base in a lag filled zerg fest which consist of us pulling them into our base cannon (if we are lucky enough to have a vanguard) and them trying to lure.pull us into their zerg.  Granted this is fun for nobody. Nobody. not republic and not imps.

Don't believe me? here's a video of what I experience any given day I travel to Ilum:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGI9ys-yxKM&feature=related

The result?  Kill trading.  That';s right, you want to get your weekly/daily done (the only way to get your armor sets) you have to take part in kill trading..how epicly star wars is that?  this is where imps and reps organize and just exchange killing eachothers groups to finish their daily/weekly quest.  Don't believe me? here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgTaWNP2HJ0

So maybe Star Wars is a PvE end game type game?  or for crafters? ERRRRRRNNNNNNNN wrong.  The next big problem with star wars is gear - Nothing and I mean Nothing in the game gear wise compares to the PvP gear (expertise bonus) the battlemaster set is the only set worth having. period.  There are NO random drops in HM flashpoints/raids that even slightly compare with the pvp sets. Nothing.  In fact, ironically my guild was running a HM lvl 50 flashpoint and a pair of lvl 11 leather gloves dropped from a boss...ermm..

As for crafting it suffers from the same problem there is absolutly no set of armor or weapon or mod a player can craft that is even slightly as good as the PvP set. Nothing. nada. the only crafting skill worth having is biochem, that's it and that's all anyone has.  I was dumb enough to raise my cybertech to 400, I was thinking I would be able to craft some cool speeders and sell them...guess what? I could craft one junky looking speeder that was bind on craft. that's right, the one unique speeder I could craft, that gave no bonus over the speeder you can buy I coulden't even sell because its bind on craft...WTF???

That's it - that is what end game consist of.  There is no real fun to be had here.  I will admitt on one HM flashpoint at 50 my guild group had fun trying to take down the boss, he dropped crap (of course) but thats essentially it.

I truly have no idea what Bioware was thinking for PvP - Ilum is a complete disaster.  It doesn't need minor tweaks, it needs to be completely redone.  Huttball needs to be deleted as I think if I must run it again I will truly commit suicide.  Unforunatly my guild has been bleeding members for the last 2 weeks, as have my server population.  Que times for huttball have gone up signifigantly in the last week or so.

I can't be the only one that expected so much more out of this game, out of bioware.  Yes the voice over is cool, but that's it.  In game with such an epic history and story (light vs dark, good vs evil, jedi vs sith) we instead are given huttball and kill trading..

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Guess ArenaNet will need to prepare for all the refugees that will flock to Guild Wars 2. image

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

god i hope you bought a fire extinguisher with you...

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Originally posted by mbrodie

I've tried to pretend I like it, I've tried to convince guildies leaving to stay..but I can't lie to  myself anymore, this game has some serious problems but more then anything it was just a huge let down..I expected so much more..

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

How you can tell Mythic worked on this game:

1. Chokepoint

2. Spam AoE abilities while the battle goes on at the same spot for long periods of time

3. Fetching spells to get a few kills every now and then

I watch my friend do this every single day and with horrible performance to boot.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Originally posted by Master10K

Guess ArenaNet will need to prepare for all the refugees that will flock to Guild Wars 2. image

It will have it's haters trying their damndest to bring it down just like every other game has had.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by Skuz

It will have it's haters trying their damndest to bring it down just like every other game has had.

but it sounds to me like they won't have much ammo. Shooting blanks only makes people laugh.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by revy66

1. Chokepoint

2. Spam AoE abilities while the battle goes on at the same spot for long periods of time

I watch my friend do this every single day and with horrible performance to boot.

Yeah, just because Bioware and Mythic are in completely different companies of the same parent company doesn't mean that they wouldn't spend a lot of resources from one project to go to another...  Even though Bioware CLEARLY has their own design teams.

And of course there is no way any one else would come up with this PVP formula, clearly had to be a Mythic game designer.

Edit:  incase you didnt' catch my entire post is pointing out how silly and tin foil hatty you sound.

But I'm not a hater.  I think I posted an honest eval of the end game.  I was never a fanboy but I tried so hard to like this game...but it is what it is..the videos tell it all.

Originally posted by crysent

I've tried to pretend I like it, I've tried to convince guildies leaving to stay..but I can't lie to  myself anymore, this game has some serious problems but more then anything it was just a huge let down..I expected so much more..

oh believe me i wanted to like it to.. i cleared 4/5 nightmare EV and full cleared new kraggas in hardmode with 2 of nightmare, i gave this game a really big chance and overall about $200 of my money to be f***ed and not even really taken to dinner first... i mean having the audacity to sell me a beta quality product for $178 (granted i didnt have to buy CE but i wanted to support what i thought was gonna be a solid game) and then expect me to gobble up the garbage they shipped and enjoy it.... after trying to level alts and not getting past 35 that was my second highest, main being a guardian.. i quickly realised i didnt enjoy the leveling or story or any of it.. i enjoyed playing with the same people i been playing mmo's with for the past 5 - 10 years and i enjoyed the in guild competetion of first to 50.. that was all

1. Chokepoint

The performance is another issue altogether.  Ilum runs horribly, it's a massive lag fest slide show even to a person on the best of gaming rigs.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by Laughing-man

1. Chokepoint

Yeah, just because Bioware and Mythic are in completely different companies of the same parent company doesn't mean that they wouldn't spend a lot of resources from one project to go to another...  Even though Bioware CLEARLY has their own design teams.

And of course there is no way any one else would come up with this PVP formula, clearly had to be a Mythic game designer.

Edit:  incase you didnt' catch my entire post is pointing out how silly and tin foil hatty you sound.

I'm not sure if you are aware Mythic worked on Swtor. This to me is clear evidence of that since I only noticed the same 3 things above in WAR out of all the MMOs I've played.

1. Chokepoint

I'm not sure if you are aware Mythic worked on Swtor. This to me is clear evidence of that since I only noticed the same 3 things above in WAR out of all the MMOs I've played.

Yes it is true some of the Mythic PvP team worked on Swtor pvp.  It's sad really they ignored how popular DAOC pvp was and instead opted for WAR pvp but on even a less scale (no captureable bases or anything) just the same WZs over and over and over and over and over...

1. Chokepoint

Yes it is true some of the Mythic PvP team worked on Swtor pvp.  It's sad really they ignored how popular DAOC pvp was and instead opted for WAR pvp but on even a less scale (no captureable bases or anything) just the same WZs over and over and over and over and over...

but they keep telling us they have one of the best and most experienced PvP development teams in the world.. i'm confused now :P

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I'm glad I saw my friends playing it first hand and wasn't sold so I didn't buy it, they tried but to no avail.

In the end, I am thankful I didn't I came so close though, this is mainly because they all quit already after hyping it so much. :/

Originally posted by Pivotelite

I'm glad I saw my friends playing it first hand and wasn't sold so I didn't buy it, they tried but to no avail.

In the end, I am thankful I didn't I came so close though, this is mainly because they all quit already after hyping it so much. :/

Yes unfortunatly I fear I am headed in this direction.  I still have an active sub and a level 50 but It's very hard to convince myself to log in and take part in the above mentioned end game.

I can't fathom re-rolling.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I didn't even play through my free month, but I did buy it even though I beta tested from Aug and seen how bad the game kept getting. Really to bad that this is what they say we get with 200million when other MMO cost a 1/10th of that and are far superior at launch.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Many people had good reason to hate on swtor.BioWare tried to pull the wool over experianced MMO gamers eyes and succeeded and failed all at the same time.

The beta weekends let the cat out of the bag for anyone with any MMO gaming sence to see it.BioWare's upstart attitude didn't help them at all,so cock sure and "we know best" attutude will be their downfall.I am glad i wasn't one of the people who fell for it.

The bulk of GW2 haters will come from jaded swtor fans who can't get their head around why BioWare teh gods didn't think of the ideas that ArenaNet are bringing to the table.They drew peoples attention away with the fully voiced line,played many like real suckers.image

Imagine if ArenaNet had $200 million to play with.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

You guys need to do what i am doing. Just cancel your sub, go and buy a time card and wait until there is more story content to do so you can level your main character up. PVP/space/crafting are not the main part of the game, they are mini games. TOR is just not a mmo that can be logged in for hrs on end after you have reached the final act in your personal story.

Originally posted by musicmann

You guys need to do what i am doing. Just cancel your sub, go and buy a time card and wait until there is more story content to do so you can level your main character up. PVP/space/crafting are not the main part of the game, they are mini games. TOR is just not a mmo that can be logged in for hrs on end after you have reached the final act in your personal story.

This may be the truth but it doesn't negate the fact that TOR is an utter let down at least for me.  In a game with such a great background story of good vs evil and the chance for some truly epic and fun pvp we instead get huttball...and more huttball.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Many people had good reason to hate on swtor.BioWare tried to pull the wool over experianced MMO gamers eyes and succeeded and failed all at the same time.

The beta weekends let the cat out of the bag for anyone with any MMO gaming sence to see it.BioWare's upstart attitude didn't help them at all,so cock sure and "we know best" attutude will be their downfall.I am glad i wasn't one of the people who fell for it.

The bulk of GW2 haters will come from jaded swtor fans who can't get their head around why BioWare teh gods didn't think of the ideas that ArenaNet are bringing to the table.They drew peoples attention away with the fully voiced line,played many like real suckers.image

Imagine if ArenaNet had $200 million to play with.

That would just mean more money wasted on cinematics and VO, rather than actual game features.

• BreakNFacesBreakNFaces Member UncommonPosts: 77

Amen man,, you hit it on the head, I leveled 2 X 50's and a level 26 tank and maxed out 3 crafts to 400. I quir rift for the very same reason but even rift drops were always fairly decent in HM's and their crafting is alot better from the start.

The nail in the coffin came when I sent in 6 tickets asking for my items to be replaced because after dumping 1 million credits into mats to reverse engineer certain items I was told not to bother because they are glitched, I asked for an explanation and all I got was a droid auto message, after 3 weeks and 6 messages later my last being "I will keep sending in tickets until you answer me" They told me that they were sorry they could not replace items because of the bug but would pass all information onto dev team.

I paid good money for the game on 2 accounts (one my sons) and I subbed after the 1st month with both of accs, the thing that gets me is WTF release the game when shizza is broken? I have done many mmo launches and have beta tested dozens of ftp games and AAA games. People say this game had a smooth launch, polony this game was 6 months premature and I'm afraid even when they release more content and fix ILLUM and add better stuff for crafting, It will be all too late

I was a fanboi and I did try really hard not to listen to the WOW mongers,But it doesnt matter what reviews say and what BIO do with their advertisments, the game is flawed majorly. expect server merges within the next few weeks

Shattered

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by musicmann

This may be the truth but it doesn't negate the fact that TOR is an utter let down at least for me.  In a game with such a great background story of good vs evil and the chance for some truly epic and fun pvp we instead get huttball...and more huttball.

I hear you. I've played my share of Huttball and all other pvp in TOR. Pvp should be dynamic and instant. That's why i believe they should have used SWG pre-cu's overt/covert system and had every player on the same shard. I thought it would have been fun to have random bases spawn all over different planets for both factions to take or defend for a certain amount of time. Whichever faction held that base at the end were rewarded with small stat bonus and a lower vendor price for a certain amount of time. The faction with the lower numbers could have NPC's that spwan and even things out until actual players came in and then the NPC's despawned. You also would recieve pvp points for holding/defending and killings opposing faction members that could be spent on items that were not gear or stat releated such as, different speeders/at-st's/social gear/banners/holo's and such. Things that a player should be able to dispaly on their ship or whatever type of housing.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

but they keep telling us they have one of the best and most experienced PvP development teams in the world.. i'm confused now :P

Experience at failing is still experience, right guys?  Now they know what not to do.  You know everything they did in WAR, then SWTOR and probably the next game they are hired to work on due to their experience.

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540

I've never witnessed kill trading on portnowhere just massive pvp battles. 

Ah well another farewell thread. Why do people think they are so important that we care about why THEY dont like a game. Can u (mmorpg.com) put all these good bye good riddance threads into one sub forum or something. They are clogging up the boards for people that play the game to chat....oh wait no one here plays SWTOR because their all too good for the game and cant wait for there next fix (GW2).

Yawn

Originally posted by blondeh

I've never witnessed kill trading on portnowhere just massive pvp battles. 

Ah well another farewell thread. Why do people think they are so important that we care about why THEY dont like a game. Can u (mmorpg.com) put all these good bye good riddance threads into one sub forum or something. They are clogging up the boards for people that play the game to chat....oh wait no one here plays SWTOR because their all too good for the game and cant wait for there next fix (GW2).

Yawn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVzL3cyFHWU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgTaWNP2HJ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8oUT9_aczQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9V-FAOrfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ccAYJajoA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK9WHA_YGtg

6 servers, 6 instances of organized kill trading.