Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just started STO, is it worth it (does it get better)?

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I just started STO.  I made it through the tutorials and I think 2 more missions.  The ground missions seemed ok, but I have a feeling they will get very repetitive.  I don't really like the way the ships fly and control. 

I only played a few hours.

The station seems kind of cool and it kind of reminded me of old SWG cantinas. 

I am not a Star Trek fan so the IP is not going to hold me. 

Is there enough of a game here to hold people's interest, even as a FTP?

Does the game get better or is it what you see early is what you get?

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

At level 17 im having some fun with it. I couldnt recomend it as an everyday game but its a nice change of pace from the fantasy world of most games. I am a ST fan so I enjoy it more than you would perhaps. I can tell you that I have yet to spend any RL money in the game so all you will lose is some time if you decide to keep going.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Originally posted by Rusty715

At level 17 im having some fun with it. I couldnt recomend it as an everyday game but its a nice change of pace from the fantasy world of most games. I am a ST fan so I enjoy it more than you would perhaps. I can tell you that I have yet to spend any RL money in the game so all you will lose is some time if you decide to keep going.

Are you saying that you enjoy the game or that the game gets better the more you play?

I guess what I would like to know is if it gets better as go into it.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

it gets better than it hits a dead end real fast. You can say this and SWTOR have a lot of similarities from birth to end. Maybe its the big IP thing.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by MMOman101

Originally posted by Rusty715

Are you saying that you enjoy the game or that the game gets better the more you play?

I guess what I would like to know is if it gets better as go into it.

If you dont like the space combat missions then no, it wont get any better. You get better ships and upgrades but if you dont like it to start with your not going to like it later.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• M1rr0rl3as3M1rr0rl3as3 Member UncommonPosts: 24

In my honest Opinion, I have way more fun than any f2p game.....I started a few days ago and I'm currently lvl 23. I was a Star Trek hater, but this game opened my eyes. Ground missions do get repetitive after a while, but the best part of this game is the space combat. Plus you have a way of converting game currency for Cash shop C-points, so everyone is on equal footing for PvP. Overall, like I said, I've had more fun playing this game than any other F2P(P2W) game. Plus the crafting is very good although you max it quick. I recommend giving it a few go's in mostly space combat until you get the hang of the controls.

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

I like the combat and that combined with raid content may be enough for me.

• SilverdaggerSilverdagger Member UncommonPosts: 119

If you're not a fan of the IP, I'd have to say no.  Fans like myself overlook the game's many inadequacies,  it's a superficial space game that requires little skill or effort.  End game can be reached within a month (or less).   I'd suggest giving it a few more hours and decide for yourself. 

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Maybe I am doing space combat wrong, but what I do is:

Try to shoot the same side of my enemy while I rotate my ship so they are constantly shooing a different side of my ship.  Sometimes I feel like I am just spinning in circles.

Is there a better way to do space combat that I am missing? 

--John Ruskin

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

Try to shoot the same side of my enemy while I rotate my ship so they are constantly shooing a different side of my ship.  Sometimes I feel like I am just spinning in circles.

Nope.  That is basically space combat in STO, especially since there is no true 3D movement.

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200

No. Besides moving your ship and circling instead of spinning. Moving = higher defense & more misses from the enemy vessel. Oh, and using the button that evens shield power distribution (or arrow keys to strenghten a specific shield facing). Helps with less circling/spinning. Yeah... think thats it. Nearly forgot placing bridge officers on several stations of your ship and use their extra skills (which can be raised by boff skillpoints and swaped out at a trainer) to quickly get shield/hull heals or debuff the enemy, buff yourself, place dots etc.

Take a bit of time at hand and play around with different ship options & setups, its not a "know it all the first time I do it" selfexplainer.