Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow review

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Hi everyone,

It's been two years since I played WoW, I really missed playing it.  Several things held me back, like my account got hacked, and reading all the changes in the past few years somewhat turned me off along with a lot of real life situations.  But now I'm back as of the last two weeks.  Let me start off by saying I don't have the latest expansion pack Cataclysm.  My game plan was to see how things go first. 

Anyway, I had a level 72 Rogue that someone else played my character to level 78 they left me with some harvesting mats to sell on the auction, so it made up for my low armor and currency I had.  I decided to do a little questing in Northrend to brush up on my skills.  I'll admit I'm on a low populated server BUT no one, absolutely no one on the entire Continent.  The quest were stale and  boring and I was all alone, it was almost scary.

Ok time to Que for dungeons.

Well, I ran four dungeons in less than one hour.  They were so easy with no strategy other than being fast to keep up with the vets that you could tell ran them a thousand times before.  I came out of all four dungeons with full up grades of every slot of armor and weapons. At first I was both stunned and happy to be fully up graided.  But later I'm thinking this in not really fun.

So what do I do now ?....After running a few dungeons, getting unbelievable exp and upgrades I just can't justify questing.  There is just no reason to.  Now I could understand why everyone sits around Stormwind waiting for dungeon ques.  Other than battle grounds there is NOTHING ELSE TO DO.  Blizzard really killed the immersion of this game.

Now it's time to find a community....

My new game plan is to make a Paladin healer on the most populated server I know of and that would be "Blackrock".  Now you would think being a sociable mmo player on a populated server should yield me some friends Right ?....Wrong.  Everyone keeps to them selfs. No one has time for others on their fast journey to level 85.  No need to group for anything because mob fights are about the same as they had always been, but the exp for each kill or quest is outstandingly crazy.

On a new toon to go from levels 1-5 it would take about two quest to advance a level, and levels 6-15 it takes about four quest to up a level.

Oh, and something new.  They put elite mobs at random around the questing world, that would give better loot than normal, but they are as easy to kill as any other mob.

Other than super fast leveling, I must say I got some feeling of nostalgia playing around with several toons in the old starting areas but they were short lived. I would out level a zone in less than one hour.

At level 15 the game changes.  People abandon the questing zones and head for the dungeon finder.  Just like my 78 Rogue the world is dead EVEN ON THE MOST POPULATED SERVER. 

Again I ran Deadmines, Wailing Caverns, Shadowfang Keep and Rangefire Chasm all in one hour...I'm not bull shitting !....Playing a Paladin healer, I had no time to do anything but heal the tank as fast as I could hit the key the entire time I ran them. No other ability was used at all.  Again no strategy and no fun, just a mad rush.  Going in at 15 and coming out 19 I found that my harvesting was way behind and quest were wayyy out dated....So what do you do now ?...harvest below your level for up keep ? or go for the glory and continue like everyone else and Que for more dungeons ?

A few side notes :

- Guilds are silent, I belonged to several, no one chats, no one plays together at least pre level 85.

- I used the social tools given to us and did searches of all levels and EVERYONE  is in Stormwind or Dungeon.

- No Dungeon chat going on, just flat out runs.

- Graphics are the best in WoW. I'm sorry, I played most every mmo and WoW's graphics are the best.

- If your looking for nostalgia, don't blink or you will miss what ever your looking for. Experience is set on ultra high to make you quickly pay for expansion packs.

- Cataclysm is still $39.95.  I would like to see what the new Raid Finder is all about, but for now I'm a little discouraged in paying the still high price to find out !

Rating :

New player......9/10

Returning player........2/10

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

So I'm playing this morning and having some fun.  I'm trying hard to like WoW, but my grips seem to be mainly with the fast leveling and how the dungeon finder killed the community.  Other than that, I would say World of Warcraft is still the best quality mmo out their.  As stated I don't have Cataclysm expansion pack yet.

My question is :

At level 85 does the community aspect of the game come back within the servers, or is it still queuing for everything and a lobby game where Guilds and friends list are worthless like pre 85 ?....Finding the right Guild is not the answer I'm looking for, It's obvious that would be a given.....Does the open world come back to life ?

Is Cataclysm worth it, only to increase 5 levels and be back where I started as a lobby game ?

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

You made a large post bashing the game and then said its still the best quality MMO? With best Graphics! haha I played it for 1 hour 4 years ago and deleted it forever off my pc because of the graphics.Its a crap game for ultra casual players with low end pc's,end of story really :)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

WoWs graphic is the best?? *cough* *cough* say what?

That has to be some sort of joke or irony.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Well, the good news is that communities exist, the bad news is that developers are not able to create communities and that it's a major aspect of MMO's that players have to foster themselves.

With that said, a good guild goes a long way. My gf and I look for and stick with guilds full of couples. We game together, lots of others do as well, and they're usually friendly and down to earth. They enjoy playing the game as a game instead of a job and we have fun together.

That's life in MMO's, you can only get out what you put in. Just gotta look for what matches your personality.

As to the speed of gearing and leveling, it really is designed for new people. If you think about it, WoW had market saturation years ago, so they generally produce content for max level as most of their population is there. It would be torture for a new player to join and have to spend 6 months leveling to join the rest of the players. So they made it new player friendly. 

Well I was hoping for an answer if at 85 the game changes to more of a community or is it still a lobby game.

I understand, find a good Guild, like I say thats a given. Infact if I were to buy Cataclysm I would even transfer my character to a populated server. All this would cost $39.95 + $25.00 = $64.95....Thats a lot to invest if the mechanics are still set up as a lobby game.

A big saying I used to see is, " The game does not start until level 85 " but does that mean quing out of your server ?

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

Wow is far from having the best graphics but the way it plays and everything you do how the commands respond I still haven't found a game to come close, very very fluid it's perfect. Also the animations are pretty fun too.

Overall though I would never play wow it's way too easy for a FFXI vet.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by page

Well I was hoping for an answer if at 85 the game changes to more of a community or is it still a lobby game.

I understand, find a good Guild, like I say thats a given. Infact if I were to buy Cataclysm I would even transfer my character to a populated server. All this would cost $39.95 + $25.00 = $64.95....Thats a lot to invest if the mechanics are still set up as a lobby game.

A big saying I used to see is, " The game does not start until level 85 " but does that mean quing out of your server ?

At max level you queue for dungeons, you queue for arenas/battlegrounds, you queue for pug raids. The only thing you will not queue for is organised raiding but you will most likely spend all your time in cities queueing.

The question is do you like raiding or not? The PvP side of the game is pretty much the same - arenas and battlegrounds. If I would ever resub it would be for the game's PvP. I still find WoW's battlegrounds and arenas quite fun.

Before the game was raiding and dungeons and battlegrounds. Now the game is dungeons, raiding and balltegrounds but you now have a dungeon finder and a raid finder (haven't tried the raid finder). Same thing if you ask me. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fivoroth

Originally posted by page

At max level you queue for dungeons, you queue for arenas/battlegrounds, you queue for pug raids. The only thing you will not queue for is organised raiding but you will most likely spend all your time in cities queueing.

The question is do you like raiding or not? The PvP side of the game is pretty much the same - arenas and battlegrounds. If I would ever resub it would be for the game's PvP. I still find WoW's battlegrounds and arenas quite fun.

Before the game was raiding and dungeons and battlegrounds. Now the game is dungeons, raiding and balltegrounds but you now have a dungeon finder and a raid finder (haven't tried the raid finder). Same thing if you ask me. 

Thanks firoroth,

For explaining how the 85 mechanics are set up in this game. I have a few characters in their 20s and my 79. Been playing for a few weeks and already tired of the constant queuing, and no chat and community. 

I had several chats with random level 85s and they all seem to be maintaining an up beat attitude about the direction WoW had taken, but many seem to be just putting up with it.

I ran several more 15 min dungeons last night, and it's always the same.  Hit my one heal button as fast as I can to keep up with the Tanks speed in flying through the content.

I found something new yesterday morning....At 4am est my populated server of Blackrock would say Full.  However I did a full search of ALL LEVELS using the " Who "... and guess what I found, 21 players total.  It's amazing what you can really learn by using the " Who ".  At times I would do a " who " search, breaking it down to classes to get a good count only to find a few hundred players total, yet the server most always say full.  Blizzard seems to be playing a trick on us for some reason pretending their are more players than real.

Could their motive be :

1)  To discourage players from joining servers, to spread players across all the servers.

2) To give the appearance of many more players than their really is.

Anyway, I canceled my account and have about 7 days to continue playing.  I decided to not buy Cataclysm, because it's a lobby game now, with a lower population that we would be made to believe, and they Flooded Mentenhal Harbor, Darkshore and South Shore, like why ? These areas are ugly now !....

Now I'm a little older than many of you, I'm well established, but I can not justify $39.95 for the expansion, $25 character transfer, and $15 a month to see what the raid finder is all about.  Thats $79.95 !!!!.....WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THIS MMO ?

• MertzaSkertzMertzaSkertz Member UncommonPosts: 161

page, have you ever played the WoW endgame? Whether or not you believe the game is good, it is really hard to judge this game unless you have played the endgame content. Even though almost everything is queued, dungeons (heroics) and raids are much more difficult. Guilds with a lot of maxed level players provide a much better community within the guild. To remove the lobby feel for the game, there are also many achievements that you can go for if your interested bragging rights.

Also, experience is not set on ultrahigh to pay for expansion packs. Experience is set higher because the max level has increased sinced vanilla. They want people to get to the endgame because that is where many people find the game to be the most fun. If anything, blizzard would want the experience to be lower so people would play the game longer and then end up paying more money monthly if they were interested in the money.

I personally found the 80-85 quest to be blast. The Warcraft story is pretty amazing and if you have played the Warcraft RTS games there is nostalgia to be had. Also if you are looking for a strong community and even into a little bit of RP, you should check out an RP server. You will see people exploring the world as they RP. It makes the world seem much more alive.

The combat in WoW you will find to be much more fast paced out of many other mmos and the dungeons and raids are a lot more involved, primarily endgame. Requires a lot more teamwork coordination and you have to pay attention or else you will easily die from various boss mechanics. 

Originally posted by Kimmyboy

The OP wanted to play dungeons only and he complains he did too many dungeons... ?

I know having 110 dungeons that pop up in a few minutes time is great, but what about your choice and will power ?

I guess WOW has become to sandboxy for you and all you did was dungeons ?!?!?.

Outlevel ? Shut down experience gains.

The latest mode in WOW is "the Iron MAN" contest: level in WOW without dying once. If dead, you loose. Blizzard will be supporting it in the future with achievements.

All sandbox tools are there for the grabs. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to do dungeons only.

Also, how did you /who all over the world ? Because on default /who only gives 3 levels around you and only in the single zone you are in to a max of 49...

As to the LFG tool: play at 04.00AM or 11.00PM: a BG is 5 seconds, a dungeon 5 minutes. Even raids are being played now on 11.00 AM with hardly a few minutes waiting time.

Cross server means you play with 1 M players in every time zone. These days you play (whatever the level or gear) instead of waiting.

So, what's up? No real life friends to play with across all those servers too? Real ID friends play across servers, who would want more ?

Sounds to me that your a solo player, that likes lobby games. Hay nothing wrong with that.

I guess you don't like reading either. Dungeons that always took an hour are now 15 min. with no strategy. Your playing with strangers that don't chat, and you will never see them again.

I guess you don't really know about the " Who " or at least how it works. Well I'll explain !

Open your " friends " panel, at the bottom click on " Who ". Type 10-20 view EVERYONE playing 10 to 20 and so on. I believe the max you could view is 49 players. So when doing a level 85 count you may have to break it down by class. Their, do you think you could follow that ?

Hay, do this, I don't care what server your on, infact if you would really like going deep you can create a level 1 character on any server just to check the population......NOW MY ENTIRE POINT OF DOING THIS  is to find where people are at...And where are they?.... in the main city or dungeon.  Why, because Blizzard took a new direction. They give everything for dungeons, and nothing for open world.  No reason for community, guilds or friends list.  I guess you could ask " where is everyone from, I'm in New Your City " because you don't need a guild for anything else !.... I guess Guilds were good for Raiding, I don't know I can't make it that far in a lobby game.  BUT I could only guess that the new Raid finder will screw up the last hope for guilds working together.

Now I can't really make things any easer than this. If you still don't understand, maybe sit down with someone and have them explain it !

• MertzaSkertzMertzaSkertz Member UncommonPosts: 161

WoW  of one of those games that is just as fun as you make it. There is a lot of content and you can level the way that you want. If this game is not your thing then maybe you just do not like themepark games at all and should look at the sandbox genre. When you go through raids and take down bosses with your community of a guild, it really builds camaraderie among your friends. Themepark games do have hard raids to go through that require you to always be on your toes. So yes the game does get much better by end game and catacylsm has made healing much harder, which I prefer. However, leveling is fast and if that is where you want the core of your mmo experience, then you should be looking at only sandbox games because anything else is focused on the endgame content.

Well 25 days into resubing, with 5 days left of an already canceled sub, my account got hacked last night, could not log in. Not only that but they hacked my web based e-mail account that I also use for my battlenet account.  So, I spent all morning changing passwords for everything in my life......I called Blizzard and told them shut everything down.

Goodbye WoW,

I had some fun times during vanilla wow but everything really had changed. This is not the game I knew and loved !!!!