Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Micro-Awesomeness

124»

Comments

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by Cursedsei

Exactly the opposite of what any gamer should be saying... but then that's the result of the last few years of cash shop promoting by the industry (in the pursuit of as much 'pure profit' as possible).

Play to Achieve over Pay to Achieve any day for me. I don't want these games to become virtual knitting machines, made super easy to appeal to the widest market possible, with shopping malls attached.

I am a gamer, not a shopper, I want all DLC to be a substantial playable, challenging, and memorable experience. I don't want to buy new hats.

You aren't a gamer, you're just another person with an OPINION, hopefully you know what that means and understand it, because I even went through the trouble of capitalizing the whole word, as well as bolding and underlining it.

None of which makes your point any more true.

Yes, I am just another opinion in amongst many, where did I say I didn't consider myself that.

My opinion is that, in this instance, that you have chosen to comment personally on me because you have no point to make about the contents of my opinion that proves it's anything else but right. 

I suspect you have also chosen to attack me because you prefer buy your game rewards in cash shops rather then playing for for them and my suggesting that makes you less of a gamer struck a raw nerve.

No, the only reason I've "personally attacked"  you as you put it, is because of that comment of yours. Just because someone prefers one type of DLC to another, you personally attack them by saying they aren't a gamer without any real reason, and added nothing of value to any discussion here. If anyone else had made such a downright stupid claim, I'd of responded similarly to them as well.

Your opinion is as valid as mine, but I also don't go around calling anyone who doesn't agree with me less of a "gamer" than my-holier-than-thou-self that I think I am. You aren't some shining paragon of the Gamer definition, you're being the trollish, basement dwelling neckbeard sucking cheeto dust out of his fingernails right now.

Heck, if you stopped being the troll and sucked your gut back into its regular position, you'd be able to see my first post on this topic was in favor of extra mission content, but the trouble with GW2 is that with an open world MMO, its harder to add in paid content without disrupting other players.

Let's say you add a new dungeon into the game through one of these packs, you can't "single" out areas for players now, so everyone would end up seeing this new fancy building/cave/hole and everything. When they try to go to it though, or join a group for it, as soon as they go in they're going to be booted out immediately for not knowing you had to buy it.

I get the point you are trying to make, that you'd rather have everything available to customize your character with and not have to pay for it. There was a few costume pieces released for GW 1 that I'd love to have, but I didn't want to pay for them. That doesn't mean I get to run around and shout "You're inferior and you suck!" at every person wearing the Grenth/Dwayna costume though.

I agree with your point for the most part, but I don't agree with the way you just blatantly bash others over the head with it, as if you were some horny caveman striking his cave wives with rocks before dragging them off for snoo-snoo. Besides, ArenaNet HAS to make money some how. They can't just keep selling new dungeons/events because people WILL hate them for it, as if they are being nickel-and-dimed for any new piece of story or fun.

I'd also like to say that any costume piece released for GW2 may be earnable in-game as well. They've stated before they'd like to have in-game ways of earning the Transmutation stones so you don't have to spend real money for them, so whose to say they won't let you earn the costume pieces as well?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by dotdotdash

Exactly the opposite of what any gamer should be saying... but then that's the result of the last few years of cash shop promoting by the industry (in the pursuit of as much 'pure profit' as possible).

Play to Achieve over Pay to Achieve any day for me. I don't want these games to become virtual knitting machines, made super easy to appeal to the widest market possible, with shopping malls attached.

I am a gamer, not a shopper, I want all DLC to be a substantial playable, challenging, and memorable experience. I don't want to buy new hats.

You aren't a gamer, you're just another person with an OPINION, hopefully you know what that means and understand it, because I even went through the trouble of capitalizing the whole word, as well as bolding and underlining it.

Yes, I am just another opinion in amongst many, where did I say I didn't consider myself that.

My opinion is that, in this instance, that you have chosen to comment personally on me because you have no point to make about the contents of my opinion that proves it's anything else but right. 

I suspect you have also chosen to attack me because you prefer buy your game rewards in cash shops rather then playing for for them and my suggesting that makes you less of a gamer struck a raw nerve.

You may well have struck a nerve but that doesn't make your observation any more valid. Just because he choses to, or would like to, pay for certain aspects of the games he choses to play does not make him any less or more of a "gamer" than a person who choses to grind endlessly for the same benefits.

In fact a willingness to spend more money on his games, regardless of what he's chosing to pay for, would suggest that he's more of a gamer than you. A willingness to part company with more cash and time is a far more real commitment than a willingness to part company with purely time.

sure it does.

How is shopping for in game rewards 'gaming'? It is shopping, pure and simple.

A gamer isn't measured by how much he is willing to speand on virtual hat lol...what a funny thought. He is measured by his skill, knowledge, and in game achievements.

I suspect that your also a person that prefers to buy his in game rewards in cash shops (though I am also sure you will deny it now) and feel the need to justify the practise.

No, the only reason I've "personally attacked"  you as you put it, is because of that comment of yours. Just because someone prefers one type of DLC to another, you personally attack them by saying they aren't a gamer without any real reason, and added nothing of value to any discussion here. If anyone else had made such a downright stupid claim, I'd of responded similarly to them as well.

Your opinion is as valid as mine, but I also don't go around calling anyone who doesn't agree with me less of a "gamer" than my-holier-than-thou-self that I think I am. You aren't some shining paragon of the Gamer definition, you're being the trollish... /snipping and stopping reading due to your repeated personal attacks

Seriously fella... by all means defend and support the point that you want to make, I will read it and respond, but these insults make me just stop.

If you went on to make an actual point, I apologise, but I just have been around forums too long to be bothered with this kind of start to a reply.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Your opinion is as valid as mine, but I also don't go around calling anyone who doesn't agree with me less of a "gamer" than my-holier-than-thou-self that I think I am. You aren't some shining paragon of the Gamer definition, you're being the trollish... /snipping and stopping reading due to your repeated personal attacks

Seriously fella... by all means defend and support the point that you want to make, I will read it and respond, but these insults make me just stop.

If you went on to make an actual point, I apologise, but I just have been around forums too long to be bothered with this kind of start to a reply.

I would be careful with what you are saying, because you could really start practicing what you preach, since your past few posts have also been insults towards others. If you felt I was insulting you personally, I apologize because that wasn't my intent. I didn't call you a troll though, I said you are being one at the moment, because essentially all of your posts devolve into "Lul u-pay-to-shop nogamer".

And saying "I suspect <etc etc>" doesn't change that either.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by Xasapis

This is funny. There is one thing every and each one of us has in a finite amount and none of us knows how much. Time. What you invest your time into is more important than anything else.

There is another thing that every and each one of us has in a finite amount: money. What we spend our money on is arguably more important than what we spend our time on, at least to the majority of people.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

As long as I don't have to pay to win, or pay to offset disadvantage, I am totally for microtransactions. I think the way they are doing it, via mission-packs that don't benefit my character but reveal story is pretty damn good. If I get into GW2, I'd probably by a few.

I would be careful with what you are saying /snip... again because you seem to not be able to get beyond squabbling.

If you want to discuss the point I am making, that shopping in cash malls is not gaming, buying your in game rewards makes you a poor gamer, and that cash shops and being able to buy in game rewards destroys the very fundamentals of what makes a game a game, then please do so and I will listen.

Every time you go for the personal off topic attack though I will snip you and stop.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

No matter how fair they make it, some people will always complain about the cash shop, they just want everything for just the box price.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

Originally posted by xKingdomx

No matter how fair they make it, some people will always complain about the cash shop, they just want everything for just the box price.

Not true.

I want to pay a box price and then pay for extra playable DLC or expacks (which really are the same thing, they just differ in terms of scale).

I am also pretty open to a sub if value is delivered.

I complain about a cash shop because I believe all content should accessable through play, don't believe in character development in a game that bypasses playing the playing actual game, and believe that selling in game rewards has a profound effect on the nature of the gameand it's design.

A 'fair' cash shop, to me, is one that delivers meaningful content in terms of extra play, not shiny hats designed in the tea break and sold at $15 of pure profit.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Not true.

I want to pay a box price and then pay for extra playable DLC or expacks (which really are the same thing, they just differ in terms of scale).

I complain about a cash shop because I believe all content should accessable through play, don't believe in character development in a game that bypasses playing the playing actual game, and believe that selling in game rewards has a profound effect on the nature of the gameand it's design.

A 'fair' cash shop, to me, is one that delivers meaningful content in terms of extra play, not shiny hats designed in the tea break and sold at $15 of pure profit.

It seems what you want isn t going to happen. I can guarentee there will be outfits etc. Which I said before who the hell cares if someone wears a stupid heart shaped hat, and wants to pay for it. It doesn t effect me any. I think you should pass on this game and many many many more coming, because thats what is the future of MMOs. It s  just some extra income for them, and if people want to pay for my future content to look different then me, with no stat gains, I say let them.

Originally posted by Leucent

Not true.

It seems what you want isn t going to happen. I can guarentee there will be outfits etc. Which I said before who the hell cares if someone wears a stupid heart shaped hat, and wants to pay for it. It doesn t effect me any. I think you should pass on this game and many many many more coming, because thats what is the future of MMOs. It s  just some extra income for them, and if people want to pay for my future content to look different then me, with no stat gains, I say let them.

Because as I have said before, selling in game rewards fundamentally changes the nature of the game (moving it ever closer to not being a 'game' at all but an 'entertainment product' where game design takes second place to ensuring the widest possible customer base exists, usually primarily by removing challenge and complexity, but going against the definition of make a 'game' in other profound ways as well).

And that applies to everyone, not just the guy buying the hat.

To understand why selling in game rewards is a bad thing you have to stand back to look at the wider picture. The mistake the majority are making is to look at the issue in the short term and from a very limited personal place ('if it dosen't seem to be hurting me directly right now then let it happen')

But yes, I do understand that my view is not the one that is held by the majority and that the industry sponsered promotion of cash shop 'play' has moved us into a place where what I want is never going to happen, but all I can say is that I see it as I see it.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

Originally posted by Leucent

Not true.

Because as I have said before, selling in game rewards fundamentally changes the nature of the game (moving it ever closer to not being a 'game' at all but an 'entertainment product' where game design takes second place to ensuring the widest possible customer base exists, usually primarily by removing challenge and complexity, but going against the definition of make a 'game' in other profound ways as well).

And that applies to everyone, not just the guy buying the hat.

To understand why selling in game rewards is a bad thing you have to stand back to look at the wider picture. The mistake the majority are making is to look at the issue in the short term and from a very limited personal place ('if it dosen't seem to be hurting me directly right now then let it happen')

But yes, I do understand that my view is not the one that is held by the majority and that the industry sponsered promotion of cash shop 'play' has moved us into a place where what I want is never going to happen, but all I can say is that I see it as I see it.

Wait when did you ever think that games were more than an entertainment product? Thats like saying holywood movies are about artist expression.  The only real question is how the money making scheme of the game impacts your love of playing it.  I have not liked DLC in the past specificaly because often it means you to pay to get a mission that you can grind to get better raid gear which in my mind is the worst of all ways. If GW2 does it just for plot then i don't really care.  But on the other hand why do you care if people are willing to pay to get things that make them happy and dont effect you, i.e. a heart shaped hat.

its not like they are paying for raid gear and there by making it harder for you who doesn't pay to get by.  I assume GW will do both DLC and Cosmetic, difference no matter how they cosmetic it won't effect anyone elses place in the game.  If the mess up DLC it could be a buy your own gear system.  It really doesn't matter if they have to run the mission after they buy it to get the gear its still something with tangible effects in game that you cannot get without paying.  Not to mention, while i am sure it will be harder in GW2 to do high level content than in the cookie cutter MMO's but it still won't be very hard, so buying a mission from which you get gear will be no different than buying gear.

• Servant-XIIServant-XII Member Posts: 34

Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly.

Some people who are complaining about MTs think that games that have them is reminiscent somehow of "play to win" (how in the world that is escapes me), or they complain because of mission packs being purchasable (something I would do if it simply is bonus and not necessary). If anything is clear it's this: you are NOT going to please all the people. Someone will always have something to complain about.

Here's what I don't understand and just correct me if I'm wrong here. But if you don't want to buy anything from the shop, what in the world will just having it there do to your game experience? If you are not in a financial position to buy anything, don't. If you enjoy the game regardless then enjoy the game. But if your enjoyment is tied to what someone else has or doesn't have, then that's a bigger problem than just the game.

I currently play an NCSoft game where it has both a sub fee and a shop. I hardly ever go to that shop because I pay the sub and get everything that I want to enjoy the game. There is no "pay to win" as I'm not competing with anyone. In the long run, it's cheaper just to pay the sub fee. Even if I wasn't a subscriber, I still could play the game with plenty of content. The things that they offer in the shop are for those who don't pay the sub fee and for cosmetic things which I simply never have been a fan on a large scale. There's plenty of that already in the game and it just doesn't interest me that much.

Creating and developing a game is a business. The primary goal of a business is to make money. When it makes money, it can develop more content, fix bugs, and build a better game overall. If a gaming company is not making money, it ceases to exist and so does the game. If I like a game, I want it to stay around and I don't have problems paying them to do so. Ultimately, I'm the boss. 

It seems that a lot of these complaints are based around having a problem of paying anything. Just to reiterate, no one makes a game for free that's worth playing for any length of time. They have to make money somehow. People have to eat and bills need to get paid. Some business models are better than others. Some are just downright horrible. But it all goes back to the ultimate purpose of a business which is to make money. Until you have the consummate experience to build and run a successful game that's been around for years, I caution to pause a moment before complaining about having to pay something. Otherwise, you may wake up and find that those games you secretly enjoyed but trashed on forums like this will be gone. Then you may wonder if paying $5, $10, or $15 a month was worth keeping it.

CoH Supergroup: The Millennium Paladins

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

If I payed $60 bucks for a game, then everything in the game shoul be available to me. Now If you want to add something extra that doesnt alter the gameplay(giving others advantages over me) then have at it. The pay to win style is not ok with me. But if you want cool looking armor or a pink tutu and pay for it, be my guest.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Bunks

If I payed $60 bucks for a game, then everything in the game shoul be available to me. Now If you want to add something extra that doesnt alter the gameplay(giving others advantages over me) then have at it. The pay to win style is not ok with me. But if you want cool looking armor or a pink tutu and pay for it, be my guest.

If they follow what they do with GW. I think the MT is not a big deal.

https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?dnv=4829112648&action=toggleCategory&category=4#featured

Originally posted by Bunks

This is what I'm talking about in terms of caring what someone else has in order to play and enjoy the game.

The game you paid $60 for is there and you can play all the way through it. MT material is either cosmetic or was not originally a part of the game you paid $60 for. It's bonus material that you can normally take or leave. Complaining about what someone has or doesn't have because of some perceived advantage is simply envy. If you enjoy the game and don't want to pay any more, don't. No one has an advantage over you if you enjoy the game.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by thebrewman

I think micro-transactions are completely fine as long as it doesn't lead to buy to win. Cosmetic gear, potions etc are great as long as it doesn't provide an edge in pve/pve.

Anything to supplement this game I am all for, I just wish it would launch already =P

im all out of cosmetics myself there is no wrong having your char looking nice and different than others i also understand people who dont giva  ***** what they are wearing blaablaa only stats matter yadayada . also knwoing this world we are currently living someone would cry when got killed in pvp cause mesmerized staring opponents shiny cape =)

Originally posted by Torvaldr

As gamers, we've made the mistake of sending the signal that it's okay to sell cosmetic accomplishments and upgrades in a store because it doesn't make us more powerful in pvp/pve.  This is a lie.  It's all character progression and anyone that can buy their way around that has the advantage over the person who takes the long route and actually plays the game.

Finally, it comes down to micro-gouging.  It's much eaiser to cover nickel and dime fees in the total cost of gameplay.  It is so easy to spend a ton more than a standard subscription if you want the full game.  Sure you can play for less if you are willing to accept a mediocre "less than" experience.  Why play at all then?

I don't agree with this in the least.

First, just because someone wants to pay to get a costume or content that has no real advantage over anyone else in any way is fine. What we're saying is that we like having a choice. If someone wants to pay or take the long route, the fact is that it's their choice to do so. In the end they both get the same thing so it makes absolutely no difference. Don't hate because they didn't get there EXACTLY like you did because they exercised their right to choose.

Second, your character is not progressing in any quantifiable way so to say that buying these things is character progression is not understanding the term. It's character development and that is optional because some people don't develop their characters. They just progress them (i.e. level, get better gear, etc.). They are not the same thing.

Third, no one is forcing you to pay anything for the game or anything in the game. If it's not necessary to buy but optional, then, again, you have a choice on what to do with the money that is yours. If you spend money unwisely, that is not the fault of the game developers. They simply give you an option. Making bad choices about money spending is on you.

Again, it's about game enjoyment. I enjoy a game for different reasons than others and I play certain games for that reason. What someone else is wearing or what adventure they went through is of no consequence to me. If I think I will enjoy the game more by having these things, I may purchase them. But it's in no way a deal breaker for me. I play for me, not for someone else.

• Vore_TechzVore_Techz Member Posts: 122

God I hope they don't do that crap like in Forsaken World where you get shafted with a small inventory then you have to buy inventory upgrades and bank upgrades just so you can hold enough items to get by... That sucked...

(>^_^)> MMO Veteran <(^_^<)
    Currently Playing: Tera Online