Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Endgame in The Secret World

HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

Many are probably interested in how the endgame will be like in TSW, especially since it doesn't have any levels. I recommend reading this article if you are even just a tiny bit curious :)

Comments

• GlyalithGlyalith Member UncommonPosts: 35

Very nice read.  Thanks for posting this OP.

I think the way they explain their endgame can be confusing to newer players but it definitely a welcomed change!  I like how you will eventually just "get there" instead of grinding out quest or mobs to hit a level cap so you are able to gain access to the dungeons or raids.

It will be really interesting to see how they can pull it off and I hope next week we will get to see some more info from the press around this.  The article is dated from November of last year so a number of things could of changed and I am sure a lot of things have progressed in the developers vision!

Really exciting and I hope Funcom can pull it off!

Thanks again for the share!

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Im sick to death with the endgame crowd plauging themeparks these days.  All the care about is getting there with as little effort or involvement as possible, then complain about the pvp not giving their choices enough advantages.

I like endgame but the main focus of the game should be the journey, like it use to be.  If the storyline is great, and they keep adding to it, everything  else will be a side dish to me.

I just hope they can figure out a way to do guild vs guild seiges and make it not buggy and laggy like most games.  Love guild vs guild sieges but they are always a hot mess in games.

I agree.  I'm not sure what other people want but man what I would kill for a Dark Ages of Camelot RvR style current generation MMO!  

I am not sure why no one has tried to replicate this was it really not loved by the masses?  I know DAoC had it's issues especially after a certain expansion I won't name lol and Warhammer does not count!

Anyway, here is hoping Funcom can get it right!

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Im sick to death with the endgame crowd plauging themeparks these days.  All the care about is getting there with as little effort or involvement as possible, then complain about the pvp not giving their choices enough advantages.

I like endgame but the main focus of the game should be the journey, like it use to be.  If the storyline is great, and they keep adding to it, everything  else will be a side dish to me.

I just hope they can figure out a way to do guild vs guild seiges and make it not buggy and laggy like most games.  Love guild vs guild sieges but they are always a hot mess in games.

I can relate to this post. I much prefer the experience when leveling compared to endgame "grind". Luckily for me, TSW has a bazillion skills to learn, so I can probably play for several years before "finishing" a character skill-wise. I just hope there is enough content at launch, and that new content is added fast enough.

Looking at the content that has been added to AoC the two last years with what I think is a much smaller staff than the one in TSW and on a much more mature engine, I think it should be reasonable to assume it's going to be good. :)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by Glyalith

I agree.  I'm not sure what other people want but man what I would kill for a Dark Ages of Camelot RvR style current generation MMO!  

I am not sure why no one has tried to replicate this was it really not loved by the masses?  I know DAoC had it's issues especially after a certain expansion I won't name lol and Warhammer does not count!

Anyway, here is hoping Funcom can get it right!

then you will probably like it, there is equivelentof relics, the system is similar to DAOC, but a little bit more separate (e.g. no roaming high value PVE mobs in the PVP warxones, no DF)  Its not as good as DAOC, but its better than WAR as a system. Combat is nothing like DAOC though, borrows heavily from GW, COH, WAR and AOC - but its good combat and has its own twist you can do every skill on the move (even ones with cast times which work a bit like herder in WAR), the downer is the society cap, you get capped when too many of a society enter warzone then rest cant enter, we still get big battles though and I reckon they will push cap further at launch as I dont lag.

the PVE is better tan DAOC though, the PVE is awesome, never enjoyed "quests" so much

Awesome!  Thanks for the feed back Shaky I am definitly looking forward to giving it a shot hopefully there will be some type of open beta!

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

wow so glad I got this article, dont know how I missed it, its over 2 months old.  So cant wait for this game

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by Myrdynn

wow so glad I got this article, dont know how I missed it, its over 2 months old.  So cant wait for this game

Same here!

Joel: You might remember those core stats in the beginning of the game: the DPS stat, the Health stat and the Healing stat. As you progress in the game, however, those stats will become less important to you. Early in the game, yes, they're important, because you're skills just aren't focused enough and you need broad stats to succeed. But they'll become less important because you'll be chasing that one stat that makes your build perfect.

I admit I'm one of the people who love to perfect their main toon.  However I do not like running the same dungeon 100x to achieve perfection.  The above quote is one of the main reasons why I am anticipating this game so much.  Perfecting your toon seems to be based more on thoughtful and creative ways than the amount of hours you put into the game.

Even though this is a themepark game, it seems to echo the Mindscrambler more than the Rails! 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Awesome!  Thanks for the feed back Shaky I am definitly looking forward to giving it a shot hopefully there will be some type of open beta!

Its a funny time for ex daoc people, you wait 11 years for 3 sided persistent pvp, then 4 games come along at once.

I know that is so true! 

It's not like people haven't been saying how awesome DAoC PvP was for years now.  Maybe it finally hit them 4-5 years ago and they were like well let's give it a shot.

In a time where so many games are copying each other EQ->WoW->Rift->SW:TOR and a slew of games in between why wouldn't someone pick up Realm versus Realm PvP and make it work!

Let's all hope something comes out and brings it together, I am not even asking for a next gen MMO right now give me a current gen game with DAoC PvP and I will give that company my money!

• Black-MagicBlack-Magic Member UncommonPosts: 103

I know that is so true! 

It's not like people haven't been saying how awesome DAoC PvP was for years now.  Maybe it finally hit them 4-5 years ago and they were like well let's give it a shot.

In a time where so many games are copying each other EQ->WoW->Rift->SW:TOR and a slew of games in between why wouldn't someone pick up Realm versus Realm PvP and make it work!

Let's all hope something comes out and brings it together, I am not even asking for a next gen MMO right now give me a current gen game with DAoC PvP and I will give that company my money!

Agreed mate!

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

Im quite excited about this aswell. I am some what of an alt-oholic in my games, because I want to be able to try all the flavors of the game. It'll be great to dive into one character and just plod my way through without having to leave a "low-level" zone just because I hit a level. And if I happen to find gear while doing so and decide to tackle 'true mobs' it'll be because I wanted to not because thats what the rest of the game is doing.

• ProPatriaProPatria Member Posts: 30

Well said.  Years of effort to create living/realistic/cinematic worlds with loads of atmosphere....missions/quests/storylines up the wazoo...and people concerned about "getting to the endgame"!!??

WTF??

Mmorpgs should be about the journey...the FOCUS should be the journey.  If you got some twits that want to cap in 2 weeks....don't let them steer game development.  Make the games for the multitudes of us that appreciate/enjoy the world we subscribe to.

My two cents.

Thanks

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

First off, great read, OP.  Thanks.

Second, I fully plan on playing TSW.  I'm not an end-game fanatic, but when I do eventually get there, I'd like to have something to do.  It sounds like there will be plenty to do.  HOWEVER - reading the interview, I'm finding it hard to decipher the difference between their WoW scenario (grinding for gear) and the TSW scenario (grinding for "Blast" gear, for example).  There's still that search for gear that has a certain purpose.  It seems to me like it's "Spiffy Chestplate of Stregngth" vs. "Spiffy Trench Coat of Blasting". 

Am I correct in thinking this way, or is my brain addled from watching too much hockey (that puck can be a b*tch to follwo sometimes)?  As I said, I'm going to play the game, I'm just curious as to the difference between the traditional gear hunt and TSW's end-game gear hunt. 

On that note, the Flyers won, and I'm going to bed.  Will check this thread in the AM after some sleep followed by a coffee or two.  =D

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by Hycoo

Many are probably interested in how the endgame will be like in TSW, especially since it doesn't have any levels. I recommend reading this article if you are even just a tiny bit curious :)

Thanks for posting the link Hycoo. Interesting read, and like many I tend to be "gun shy' as one of the interviewed developers from Funcom mentioned. AoC though on many levels really blew me away, came off very half baked. As in not ready for prime time release. I am hoping that Funcom learned serious lessons from the fiasco that was AoC and will release a great game world for us to play. I don't think I'll get a collectors edition though, they taught me a good lesson in waiting to see. :)

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Yeah game developers started catering to a "different genre" of game and not a mmorpg. These player wanted more of a MOBA or FPS style of game where it was all about the destination and not the journey. Due to that all of us who are here to play an mmo-rpg have been shorted. The genre was forced into a mutation that isn't an mmo-rpg.

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

Originally posted by jdlamson75

Second, I fully plan on playing TSW.  I'm not an end-game fanatic, but when I do eventually get there, I'd like to have something to do.  It sounds like there will be plenty to do.  HOWEVER - reading the interview, I'm finding it hard to decipher the difference between their WoW scenario (grinding for gear) and the TSW scenario (grinding for "Blast" gear, for example).  There's still that search for gear that has a certain purpose.  It seems to me like it's "Spiffy Chestplate of Stregngth" vs. "Spiffy Trench Coat of Blasting". 

Am I correct in thinking this way, or is my brain addled from watching too much hockey (that puck can be a b*tch to follwo sometimes)?  As I said, I'm going to play the game, I'm just curious as to the difference between the traditional gear hunt and TSW's end-game gear hunt. 

It is a very valid concern. There will be a gear grind in TSW as you call it, the developers haven't tried to convince us otherwise. What will hopefully differenciate TSW from other games like WoW, is that the new gear you gain won't make you very much stronger, just stronger at a small portion of what your character can do.

In WoW for example you get better at basiclally everything when you get new gear. In TSW, gear will be more specialized. For example when you get new gear it might have similiar stats as your old gear, only that it has effects like ''cc abilities last 10% longer'' or ''you deal x damage when blocking''. There are really many of these effects.

Now since there will be something like 9 chakras + 1 weapon (the gear in TSW) you can equip, the guys who have spent time specializing their gear will be stronger than those who haven't. These guys tho might just be better at cc'ing or blocking, they won't have more health or damage etc. (unless they specialize to) than most other guys. This will make the difference in player power be much smaller than in many other mmorpgs, and you don't have to grind gear if you really don't want to.

Another thing that has had a negative impact on ''gear grind'' is that with new content new tiers are added, making old gear abbundant and the grind feel endless. In TSW new content won't add much to the vertical progression, rather introduce new ways to combine skills and specialize your character.

In short: Will there be gear grind? Yes. Will it be mandatory to enjoy both the PvP and the PvE content? No.

What will truly seperate the men from the boys is how you combine your skills, use the state system and cooperate with your mates.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

From what ive seen and read it wont be Grinding the same dungeon. it may be the same area but the feel will be different. you may go to Kingsmouth to kill all the zombies there once, and then turn around to have another quest that wants you to investigate whats causing the disturbance and an increase of the zombies themselves. also these can change the quest depending on who you talk to.

i wont even call this endgame, there really isnt a offical endgame for this. thats what makes it beautiful, it also wont be the same as WoW from when you bring up a quest map it wont say "go here" it will say "find the distubance" and you have to begin investigateing and actually using your head.

im hopeing this game will hold the crowd who are intellegent or seaking a challenge more. cause really if you want a easy game or just to go somewhere and grind for an hour this wont be the right game to play.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by ProPatria

Well said.  Years of effort to create living/realistic/cinematic worlds with loads of atmosphere....missions/quests/storylines up the wazoo...and people concerned about "getting to the endgame"!!??

WTF??

Mmorpgs should be about the journey...the FOCUS should be the journey.  If you got some twits that want to cap in 2 weeks....don't let them steer game development.  Make the games for the multitudes of us that appreciate/enjoy the world we subscribe to.

My two cents.

Thanks

No offence but I think your comments are part of a very vocally minority of MMO players (you should like SWTOR though!).  The problem I believe most players have with focusing on the journey is that it is finite and non persistent.  Basicly focusing on the journey should be the domain of single player games.......... another way to look at it is that MMO's in a perfect world should be all "end game" in that your actions and time sinks are meaningful in a long run capacity.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by LadyNoh

From what ive seen and read it wont be Grinding the same dungeon. it may be the same area but the feel will be different. you may go to Kingsmouth to kill all the zombies there once, and then turn around to have another quest that wants you to investigate whats causing the disturbance and an increase of the zombies themselves. also these can change the quest depending on who you talk to.

i wont even call this endgame, there really isnt a offical endgame for this. thats what makes it beautiful, it also wont be the same as WoW from when you bring up a quest map it wont say "go here" it will say "find the distubance" and you have to begin investigateing and actually using your head.

im hopeing this game will hold the crowd who are intellegent or seaking a challenge more. cause really if you want a easy game or just to go somewhere and grind for an hour this wont be the right game to play.

I'm hoping for the same.  The crowd you described should make for an awesome player base to play with.  Hopefully the kids stay far far away!

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

The way Funcom has been marketing TSW strikes me as they are trying to get players that want to use their head for other things than just finding the fastest way to grind. I hope the game is going to be different enough to keep those thinkers in the game. I think it all depends on how well the investigation quests ties into the (game) world and how much there is of this type of content.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

im looking forward to the investigation missions!!!!!  if they are anything like the ARG's it will be epic.

I've got the straight edge.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by jdlamson75

It is a very valid concern. There will be a gear grind in TSW as you call it, the developers haven't tried to convince us otherwise. What will hopefully differenciate TSW from other games like WoW, is that the new gear you gain won't make you very much stronger, just stronger at a small portion of what your character can do.

In WoW for example you get better at basiclally everything when you get new gear. In TSW, gear will be more specialized. For example when you get new gear it might have similiar stats as your old gear, only that it has effects like ''cc abilities last 10% longer'' or ''you deal x damage when blocking''. There are really many of these effects.

Now since there will be something like 9 chakras + 1 weapon (the gear in TSW) you can equip, the guys who have spent time specializing their gear will be stronger than those who haven't. These guys tho might just be better at cc'ing or blocking, they won't have more health or damage etc. (unless they specialize to) than most other guys. This will make the difference in player power be much smaller than in many other mmorpgs, and you don't have to grind gear if you really don't want to.

Another thing that has had a negative impact on ''gear grind'' is that with new content new tiers are added, making old gear abbundant and the grind feel endless. In TSW new content won't add much to the vertical progression, rather introduce new ways to combine skills and specialize your character.

In short: Will there be gear grind? Yes. Will it be mandatory to enjoy both the PvP and the PvE content? No.

What will truly seperate the men from the boys is how you combine your skills, use the state system and cooperate with your mates.

A few days late in rechecking this thread, but I'm glad I did.

I suppose most games have some sort of gear grind.  Hell, pen and paper D&D had me bopping through dungeons, looking for that elusive Sword of Killyoufast +5, so I shouldn't be begrudging the need for better gear.  What you say makes a lot more sense - grinding for that one specific perk as opposed to armor with 4 of 5 different stats on it.  Thanks for clarifying.  Looking forward to the release.

• VampiresVampires Member Posts: 75

Thank you for the link! I am really looking forward to this!

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

I just hope the game performs well on my PC. Coming from Funcom, I have doubts.