Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard the last refuge of a Roleplayer?

Recently I resubbed to Vanguard.

I tried the new star wars game, was very bored, very quickly, just not my sort of thing. World didn't feel real, just a series of studio sets with no real life. Don't get me wrong, they did a good job of the game, just found it dull.

VG, whilst cursed and forgotten, still appeals to me and I missed it.

Anyone still playing, say hi to Whitetalon in game.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

Comments

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

Agreed.  98% of games that have come out in the last 7+ years have no life to them.  Currently I play both Wurm Online and Rift.  I play Rift because my better half also plays plus at least the mobs hunt you down...lol, which helps give the game a little life.  Wurm...not sure why I play it, just can't seen to stop.  Vanguard does have it's appeal but still greatly bugged.  It has many great features I wish a AAA Dev would introduce into a well develope game. (I suspect if Trion would implement features that VG has like its' crafting, combos, fishing tech, housing, etc, it would only help to improve their subs).  With that said, I feel VG has missed its' window a hundred time over and nothing short of every Dev shutting down their game with save it.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Keep in mind if  Vanguard goes F2P, it could have 100k new players virtually overnight. Despite the ill treatment it has received, it is one of the best kept secrets going in the  MMORPG realm.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by NagilumSadow

Keep in mind if  Vanguard goes F2P, it could have 100k new players virtually overnight. Despite the ill treatment it has received, it is one of the best kept secrets going in the  MMORPG realm.

I doubt that

Vanguard is a good game but switching to F2P this late in the game won't create the big hoopla everybody is hoping for

It's too little too late. Better than nothing but don't expect a complete turnaround

Originally posted by Starpower

I doubt that

Vanguard is a good game but switching to F2P this late in the game won't create the big hoopla everybody is hoping for

It's too little too late. Better than nothing but don't expect a complete turnaround

Going F2P did wonders for ' Fallen Earth' and it wasn't designed with the AAA heritage.

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

Going F2P has worked miracles on a few titles with flagging interest - Dungeons & Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Champions Online, City of Heroes/Villains, DC Universe Online

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

F2P would improve Vanguard's numbers, yeah, but...

No, I don't see how this is a good game to RP in, there's no body to play with but yourself so what's the point?

I doubt that

Going F2P did wonders for ' Fallen Earth' and it wasn't designed with the AAA heritage.

Fallen Earth is a relatively new title. Vanguard is a dinosaur

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by Storman1977

Going F2P has worked miracles on a few titles with flagging interest - Dungeons & Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Champions Online, City of Heroes/Villains, DC Universe Online

True, but I'm not sure how exactly they could go ftp. I mean, you can't buy content in a non-instanced world, I doubt cosmetics alone would pay for any substantial development, a pay to win model would destroy the game - maybe the buying of playable races - but I think even that would provide limited funding. I don't know, I hope I'm wrong.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I doubt that

Dinosaur suggests it would have outdated graphics or something.

As it hasnt, I fail to see your point. Vanguard is 5 years old - and was a hardware hog back then and still benefits from better hardware now.

Originally posted by Adamantine

I doubt that

As it hasnt, I fail to see your point. Vanguard is 5 years old - and was a hardware hog back then and still benefits from better hardware now.

That was one of the massive issues at launch, the fact Vanguard's graphics & engine were way ahead of the curve.  It still brings unique innovations to the table, unseen in other MMOs.

I doubt that

Are you seriously trying to tell me, the reason it was/is a hardware hog back then and still causes performance issues for people is because it has superior graphics?

I would like to have some of that cool-aid you have been drinking

• Ribas363Ribas363 Member Posts: 33

Partly yes.  The clouds, lighting and shadowing are still better than any I have seen.  The detailed environment and viewing distance are also pretty much unparalleled from what I have seen.

Couple that with the coding issues and there you have it. 

It's Ice Blue Kool-Aid FYI.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I would like to have some of that cool-aid you have been drinking

I really grow weary of this internet tradition of using insults instead of knowing anything.

Yes Vanguard still looks great even to current standards. Especially the sight when using flying mounts are breathtaking. If you dont believe it, like it, whatever - I dont give a damn.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I doubt that

Doubt it as well, but not for your reason...

Look at EQ2, how 'unpleasant' the 'Free2Play' is made. You MUST buy/sub to enjoy playing is. If the same thing is done with vanguard (most likely, we're talking SOE here), then most potential players will not enjoy the 'grind' as Vanguard has it now and go for EQ2 instead.

Originally posted by Reizla

I doubt that

Doubt it as well, but not for your reason...

Look at EQ2, how 'unpleasant' the 'Free2Play' is made. You MUST buy/sub to enjoy playing is. If the same thing is done with vanguard (most likely, we're talking SOE here), then most potential players will not enjoy the 'grind' as Vanguard has it now and go for EQ2 instead.

That is the problem with SOE, they're still trying to hang on to a defunct quasi-subscription model. They need to get rid of that model altogether and look at Fallen Earth and Runes of Magic for examples.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

If $o€ actually came up with a good Free to Play model this game could have a massive revival for old EQ fans. In its current state, the game is fantastic, it just doesnt have the players to support the world. The few people willing to try it again just leave because the world is empty, and Vanguard isnt designed for an empty world.

But lets be honest, its $o€ here. They will come up with the most money grabbing plan they can. They will lock classes, races, bag slots, money caps, access to mounts for 'premium' content, which will put everyone off a week into the relaunch.

At least NCSoft has realised that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. SoE could take a leaf out of their book, make everything already in the game accessable to everyone. Thats right, all the content. Then make your money on fluff mounts, appearance gear and convenience items.

But they wont, they will segregate the community and make everyone roll their eyes at the level of incompetance and greed they have.... because to them, what should really be called a 'very limited free trial with heavy penalties' counts as 'free to play'.

Yes, free to play as a gimp compared to 'premium' players, because thats fun for everyone. I wonder why they dont stay and spend money in the cash shop?

Originally posted by evilastro

If $o€ actually came up with a good Free to Play model this game could have a massive revival for old EQ fans. In its current state, the game is fantastic, it just doesnt have the players to support the world. The few people willing to try it again just leave because the world is empty, and Vanguard isnt designed for an empty world.

But lets be honest, its $o€ here. They will come up with the most money grabbing plan they can. They will lock classes, races, bag slots, money caps, access to mounts for 'premium' content, which will put everyone off a week into the relaunch.

At least NCSoft has realised that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. SoE could take a leaf out of their book, make everything already in the game accessable to everyone. Thats right, all the content. Then make your money on fluff mounts, appearance gear and convenience items.

But they wont, they will segregate the community and make everyone roll their eyes at the level of incompetance and greed they have.... because to them, what should really be called a 'very limited free trial with heavy penalties' counts as 'free to play'.

Yes, free to play as a gimp compared to 'premium' players, because thats fun for everyone. I wonder why they dont stay and spend money in the cash shop?

Yep. Thats SOE for sure.  They have to use every duplicitous trick in the book first, which is what ruined them in the first place -- dishonesty.

Originally posted by Ribas363

Partly yes.  The clouds, lighting and shadowing are still better than any I have seen.  The detailed environment and viewing distance are also pretty much unparalleled from what I have seen.

The game was poorly optimized even admitted by Brad himself (go google his 'post mortem' blog comments). SoE has spent the last few years trying to fix the code to make the game as playable as it is today. Even today It has issues. Even today people suggest you buy a SSD to run it hitch free. It has absoutely nothing to do with its "incredible" graphics.

I get you guys are fans of the game to the point where you let it blind you from the truth. The truth is you are fans of a game that is still to this day poorly coded resulting in performance issues even on new computers. It's pretty well documented on the official forums.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by metalcore

Recently I resubbed to Vanguard.

I tried the new star wars game, was very bored, very quickly, just not my sort of thing. World didn't feel real, just a series of studio sets with no real life. Don't get me wrong, they did a good job of the game, just found it dull.

VG, whilst cursed and forgotten, still appeals to me and I missed it.

Anyone still playing, say hi to Whitetalon in game.

does VG offers a real world feel, a series of studio sets with real life, and non dull game?

edit: im asking because i didnt past lvl 2. Found VG plain boring in tutorial island and dont plan to pay for a ghost game. Im hoping SOE make it F2P to try past tutorial land.

Originally posted by Ribas363

The game was poorly optimized even admitted by Brad himself (go google his 'post mortem' blog comments). SoE has spent the last few years trying to fix the code to make the game as playable as it is today. Even today It has issues. Even today people suggest you buy a SSD to run it hitch free. It has absoutely nothing to do with its "incredible" graphics.

I get you guys are fans of the game to the point where you let it blind you from the truth. The truth is you are fans of a game that is still to this day poorly coded resulting in performance issues even on new computers. It's pretty well documented on the official forums.

Fan of VG? Sure, it has some fun features and it is lacking in some areas.

Blinded by truth? Not at all.

I stated the poor coding, that is obvious. 

To the non-biased MMO player VG is still very impressive in regards to what I posted being things like clouds, sky, shadows, lighting and detail to things like leaves on trees and trees blowing in the wind.

Instead of making comments about being blinded, why don't you give examples of games that do the same?  I know from experience that SWG, Lotro, WoW, WAR, AOC, SWTOR, and FE do not have the detailed graphics in regards to what I mentioned.  I have not played rift, that might.

AA looks to be very impressive in regards to these criteria.

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

I was able to max VG out on a i7 940 and two ATI 4870's years ago.

It's engine and overall graphical quality are perfectly fine.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Tortanic

I was able to max VG out on a i7 940 and two ATI 4870's years ago.

It's engine and overall graphical quality are perfectly fine.

Yeah, pretty much anyone on a modern PC will have very little issues with the game. It was far too hardware intensive for PCs at launch, but now its not really an issue for most gamers.

The graphics arent the best ever, Im not even going to pretend that it can compete with modern releases, what it does have in abundance though is depth and flavour.

I cant think of a single game where the classes are anywhere near as interesting or in depth as Vanguard.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

I doubt that

Are you seriously trying to tell me, the reason it was/is a hardware hog back then and still causes performance issues for people is because it has superior graphics?

Actually yes.  I had two big "jags" with VG, first time soon after launch, when my comp couldn't cope with it even on low settings.  More recently, roundabout the time that AoC released I played it again on a much more powerful comp and was able to max it out, and to tell you the truth, in the areas that are actually finished, its looks easily matched, and in a few aspects outshone, AoC.

Of course that's not the reason it has "performance issues" in the sense of bugs, those are obviously ... well, bugs.  But its being a poorly-optimized resource hog at the time is one reason why many people dropped it at launch.

Now, the sheer grunt power of comps can easily handle it.  And it still holds up well even today.

f2p will be a real shot in the arm for this game, which I believe is the game many curmudgeons on mmorpg.com are looking for, if they but knew it (and/or would give it another chance as a busier f2p game).  Certainly that proportion of "old MMO hands" who want a single, seamless world, open to exploration.