Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Atlantica?

ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421

Ok so i tried Atlantica...for tops 30 seconds it did not appeal to me this is why:

I did not like the graphics.

Too asian styled.

No solo play i have to have mercenaries?

I think its a bad storyline

It just wasnt a game for me at all someone who came from WoW and is looking forward to Guild Wars2.

Why do alot of poeple like this game when they usualy complain about it came from korea graphics storyline etc. that defines this game so im just wondering why everyone likes it and what are the pluses.

(this is not meant to slander the game opr anything it just doesnt appeal to me)

Comments

• fjcastelfjcastel Member Posts: 127

Atlantica is actually quite fun once you get the hang of it... granted is a whole diferent style the turn based strategy and all... the story is not too shaby it actually does have a lot of content the crafting system is preaty awsome you can craft preaty much anything in the game... and you can master all crafting skills (providing that you don't have a life)

hight end gaming is preaty chalengin and raiding is really fun if you have a good guild... a person fresh out of WoW will probably be to much of a change since well wow just hand you everything on silver platter

however if you dont have much patience on hight end it can get expencive specially if you want the shinny gear but with patience you can get it just fine 30 second is not enought to learn any game period perhaps was a bit too complicated for you... i had a friend that say the same thing you just say to me and afther he see my play on my level 130 chainsaw guy on PvP he was pumped and now he is doing preaty good...

the game does take some gettin used too but is not a bad game at all

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Because there is next to no turn based stratedy mmo's, and ones that do it well are even rarer.

If you just aren't into that sort of thing, then yeah, it will do nothing for you. But given how you formed this thread, expect to be flamed and called a troll.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by just2duh

Because there is next to no turn based stratedy mmo's, and ones that do it well are even rarer.

If you just aren't into that sort of thing, then yeah, it will do nothing for you. But given how you formed this thread, expect to be flamed and called a troll.

This.

Atlantica is far from perfect, but it is a nice gem hiding in the rough. Honestly, the combat system IS the main draw of this game. If you weren't a fan of games like Ogre Battle or the various tactical RPGs that followed, then it is easy to see why you didn't like it. However, that information was readily available before you even began playing, so the whole I-don't-like-it-so-why-does-anyone-else-like-it thread is pure troll.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Hehehhehehe you say troll ....

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421

not trolling at all it just didnt appeal to me i mean its tops on hits and all so i was wondering what draws people to it if its later game content then that would be what i wanted to hear im not here to waste time at all and i never fully did learn the definition of "trolling" just trying to see if there is something i missed so i could maybe give it another shot the second guy who posted gave a straight up answer that i liked i could run on that so...

Originally posted by Shrilly

not trolling at all it just didnt appeal to me i mean its tops on hits and all so i was wondering what draws people to it if its later game content then that would be what i wanted to hear im not here to waste time at all and i never fully did learn the definition of "trolling" just trying to see if there is something i missed so i could maybe give it another shot the second guy who posted gave a straight up answer that i liked i could run on that so...

Your welcome Bud  i will send you the bill later for the advice... you can chose eather of the options

1.your first born

2.your cat (if you have one)

3. one Million Dollars!!

• Played the game for 2 years for 2 reasons.

1.  I loved the guild i was in

2. I loved the combat system.  i love old rpgs that were turn based and you built a team to fight with.

The end game stuff can be good if you get a good guild and/or nation.  I would caution not to expect to have the best gear in game unless you are willing to do alot of grinding or spend a bunch in the IM.  I haven't really played much since Nexon took over so i don't know how much they have changed things and don't know much about the most recent content patch.

Crafting was pretty neat though i was much less happy once the jackpot system was added since it ruined my best money craft. ><

• i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

1.) You judged a book by it's cover (first 30 seconds=biased opinion the rest of the time played)

2.) Of course it won't appeal to everyone, so it didn't appeal to you, what's your point? You know that it's a different style of gameplay and it simply doesn't appeal to your taste so what's the point of a thread like this, if not to troll?

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Because it's got unique gameplay? You can probably count the number of turn based MMORPGs on one hand.

If you came from Wow, why not play one of the thousands of F2P WoW clones? 100s, anyway.

(That said, the game suffers from the worst item mall by far in F2P gaming. But it's fun until 120 or so)

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• JchungJchung Member Posts: 8

The combat system is really nice. One of the main reason I play it. ;D

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Originally posted by Shrilly

Ok so i tried Atlantica...for tops 30 seconds it did not appeal to me this is why:

I did not like the graphics.

Too asian styled.

No solo play i have to have mercenaries?

I think its a bad storyline

It just wasnt a game for me at all someone who came from WoW and is looking forward to Guild Wars2.

Why do alot of poeple like this game when they usualy complain about it came from korea graphics storyline etc. that defines this game so im just wondering why everyone likes it and what are the pluses.

(this is not meant to slander the game opr anything it just doesnt appeal to me)

while i do not like atlantica online myself i stopped reading your post after i readed you played it for 30 seconds.

all i can think of now what kind of...(fill in yourself)..  plays a game for 30 seconds and makes a post about it?

• Playing a game for 30 seconds doesn't qualify you to make some comment on it even.

It doesn't matter what it looks like: Asian, European, Russian, Alien.... You get used to it on the way

I think the biggest plus is that you can autorun to your quests and that the storylines are pretty light-weight. I played for a while and I did enjoy finishing a quest and getting some coffee, cleaning a bit, reading some website, etc. etc. It's just tha bomb! Also the extensive amount of crafting you can do is really nice. There are 20+ crafts that are not restricted.

• harry_watharry_wat Member Posts: 33

Nice concept. Lots of mercs to choose that is based on historical heroes.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

No solo play? lol

Worst review ever in history.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by Drolkin

No solo play? lol

Worst review ever in history.

Not really a review at all i will restate my question: Why does this game appeal to A LOT of people? I played turn based games one of my favorite games is Dofus before it went P2P.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

30 seconds is not enough to know if a game sucks, I would say you need to play to at least lvl 10 in most games to get a feel .  I started Atlantica last night and got to lvl 8 and am having a fun time, I still dont understand some of the games mechanics but today plan to read the game guide so that should help.    I started a guitar but then read that they suck in PvP and are only ok in PvE is this true?

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

Because we like something you don't like.

That is actually have mercenary. 

It's really like an online version of final fantasy 7, or chrono trigger.  Those turn based MMORPG I love so much when I'm young.

• redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175

Funny , I didn't last past the second angel or whatever she was. I guess turn based games are either for you or not. I remember when Ultima I,II,III ect were out in the 80's ( I think it was the 80's) . I really enjoyed those games and some of the Final fantasy games were fun as well, but I was a teenager and it was the absolute best thing around at the time. Having played those games, I guess its simply out of my system now or not so enticing after playing many of the other MMO's that came out 2000ish and later. To sum it up, I would probally really enjoy this game if it were my first experience with a turn based game and I had not played the newer types of MMO's.

• GyliGyli Member Posts: 5

I played all the past and recent P2P mmos like FFXI, WoW, Aion, Warhammer etc, I loved Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle 64, and recent turn base games so I guess I have a natural aspect that makes me enjoy this game though I do have to say 30 seconds is far from a lengthy amount to properly review a game and making a clear deciding factor on it, but I guess alas turn based just isn't for you or at least not this style.

Though to those saying that it has the worst IM to date I beg to differ. Forsaken World and Battle of the Immortals have a terrible IM worse than Atlantica and Atlantica changed up their IM and the economy in the game has changed I'm able to simply buy things from other players without having to waste money on the IM when I want them.

Also note that I've been playing this game since it's beta with NDOORS (blue named account) so I've been through the rough patches (stamina, ugh) but yet I still find this game appealing as least more than WoW did (Cata got boring fast) and just waiting for GW2 now.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

All good points brought up by the OP.  I can answer them all with 2 words...it's asian.  You aren't going to get a storyline, or well at least a good one. The graphics... well speak for themselves.  And the mercenaries is why this game is popular.  The gameplay is something different, totally different.

• SagonatorSagonator Member UncommonPosts: 12

Why do I like the game? Ok here is my list:

1. Turn based strategy combat that actually makes me think unlike other games

2. Cool crafting system which is pretty fun if u are that kind of a person

3. 2 types of gameplay in the game - normal mode and skimrish mode(tbs missions, skimrish zones) Means u cant get bored

4. Alot of formation builds to come up with. There are so many choices when it comes to thinking of your formation. That means u can make your formation pretty special. Well on high lvls usually there are some formations that rock.

5 You can be either pvp or pve player with different skillups etc.

6  Home system.

7 . Arena gambling system! Thats they way I roll there . People call me crazy gambler :P

8. One of the best features in my opinion - Guild and nation dungeons. Cooperative play ftw !image

I hope I helped. image