Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Congratulations Blizzard

ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com/t8218-wow-loses-another-100000-subscribers

4.5 billion expected revenue, not bad.

Making billions in a genre where most struggle to make millions, if that.

Credit is given to where credit is due.

Congratulations Blizzard.

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Yeah it might be losing subscribers but it will still be the #1 MMORPG in terms of subscribers for a long time to come.

• roby55roby55 Member Posts: 11

Blizzard truly is a mamoth if that reports are true

'' more than1 million players took a ONE YEAR worth of Wow  in return for a free copy of Diablo 3''

So by giving a flying pony and diablo 3 for free they manage to manipulate more than 1 million players to pay 8 pounds a month every  month for One year .

No wonder Blizzard cant stop milking WOW numbers like that are insane for a very old game like wow to pull out numbers like that is amazing .  There really is no 'Wow killer' but blizzard themselves.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by roby55

'' more than1 million players took a ONE YEAR worth of Wow  in return for a free copy of Diablo 3''

So by giving a flying pony and diablo 3 for free they manage to manipulate more than 1 million players to pay 8 pounds a month every  month for One year .

You gotta figure at least 2/3rds of those people knew they would be playing for a year anyway, if not more.

Its gonna hurt Blizzard in Diablo sales though.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by teakbois

You gotta figure at least 2/3rds of those people knew they would be playing for a year anyway, if not more.

Its gonna hurt Blizzard in Diablo sales though.

There are probably quite a few people who planned on buying D3 but only playing WOW for a few months that snatched up this deal basically giving them half off subscription prices to WOW.  It works both ways.  All they care is that the money goes to them and not other MMOs.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Not to be rude, but if you dont understand corporate financials then dont post about them.  Blizzard is actually Activision-Blizzard, so that $4.3 billion is from both companies. That means the sales also include things like the CoD franchise and any other games they publish or produce.  

One more way you can notice that is if you take 10,000,000 * 15 * 12. That only equals 1.8 billion. And not all subs are charged at the 15 dollar a month rate. 

Just thought I would point it out.

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92

Sounds all well and good but that report doesn't say it's WoW that is making the money. Activision Blizzard releases several games per year. I know that WoW makes it's fare share but people shouldn't assume that it's that game that is doing it. Activision Blizzard releases lots of games each year and that is where the majority of their income comes from. I do agree however that their giving away Diablo III for free will hurt them in the long run though. They really didn't need to try to keep their WoW subs up. They have over 10 million. Most MMO companies need like 500k or so to pull a profit. Shows just how greedy Blizzard can be hehe. I do wish them success on their 2012 releases, while I am not a WoW fan (hate the game) I do like the company as a whole.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Originally posted by Valua

Helps they had so little compeition when they started they built up a player base. Lets face it, we always go back to MMos we are use to and have worked a lot on. 

I bet those numbers would be vastly lower if they released a year ago. 

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

The real number that I want to know is how many are US and EU subs.   Or anyone that is used to reading financials, How much revenue did WoW contribute to Activision/Blizzards total?

I suspect that the US/EU numbers are under 4 mill and probably closer to 3 mill.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

No wonder Blizzard cant stop milking WOW numbers like that are insane for a very old game like wow to pull out numbers like that is amazing .  There really is no 'Wow killer' but blizzard themselves.

This is true.

But Blizzard will make up for a large portion of the 4.5 billion.

Subscriptions to WoW alone (I'm doing 10million) = Close to 1 billion (1,080,000,000 is the exact number if every account paid the average sub, but Asia pay differently, sometimes less, sometimes more.)

Pandaria - 8 million boxes sold (I guess this will be a close enough figure.) = 320,000,000

Diablo 3 - Again 8 million I'll guess are sold (probably closer to 10 million though) = 320,000,000

And then the Star Craft expansion, but I don't know how much that will cost, but that will rake it at least 100,000,000.

That's roughly 1.7 billion. Again, only an estimation, but it won't be far off. And it's not profit, but still.

Still very, very, very impressive in a genre where most companies strugle to keep their heads above water.

Blizzard, and more importantly WoW, has no real competition and probably never will have any.

Blizzard and WoW will be the downfall of Blizzard and WoW. 

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by marinrider

Not to be rude, but if you dont understand corporate financials then dont post about them.  Blizzard is actually Activision-Blizzard, so that $4.3 billion is from both companies. That means the sales also include things like the CoD franchise and any other games they publish or produce.  

One more way you can notice that is if you take 10,000,000 * 15 * 12. That only equals 1.8 billion. And not all subs are charged at the 15 dollar a month rate. 

Not too sure about that....

10 million subscribers (all in North America apparently)  X $15 a month= 150 million X 12  does equal 1.8 billion dollars .

Now, factor in the 100 million paid server changes (which is a very believable number AS IS THE 10 MILLION PAYING $15 A MONTH)  and you have 4.3 billion dollars for one company.

It sounds to me like Activision needs to step up their game to catch up and stop releasing those unpopular Call of Duty games.

I'm off to play with my unicorn now.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

the 10 mil is global, the US total may be under 3 mil.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

The OP has blizzard pajamas and a world of warcraft coffee mug.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by nerovipus32

The OP has blizzard pajamas and a world of warcraft coffee mug.

How did you know? Stalker much?

Better than your Guild Wars 2 pajamas and mug!

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by slickbizzle

10 million subscribers (all in North America apparently)  X $15 a month= 150 million X 12  does equal 1.8 billion dollars .

Now, factor in the 100 million paid server changes (which is a very believable number AS IS THE 10 MILLION PAYING $15 A MONTH)  and you have 4.3 billion dollars for one company.

It sounds to me like Activision needs to step up their game to catch up and stop releasing those unpopular Call of Duty games.

Where are you getting the 100 million paid server changes? Where is the number coming from I mean? (I'm not doubting you, just trying to understand).

But your wrong about CoD.  I do not like the Cod franchise any longer (since mw1 pretty much), but it is still very popular.  MW3 had $1b in sales in just 16 days.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2073201/Modern-Warfare-3-hits-1-billion-16-days--beating-Avatars-record-day.html

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    At first I couldn't believe what I read, 4.5 billion, what the heck?

But thinking about it, if both D3 are released as well as WoW's new expansion and SC2's new game in the trilogy, then I can see why they'd come up with those numbers. They already sold 1 million D3 for 'free' though, at least those are the ones they wanted to give away for a guaranteed 1 year subbing of those players.

We'll see I guess. Will be an interesting year when it comes to MMO gaming and developments, competition has never been as fierce and high level as it will be this year.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Panther2103

Yeah it might be losing subscribers but it will still be the #1 MMORPG in terms of subscribers for a long time to come.

Well, at least for the next year but who knows what happens after that?

Also, GW2 wont be competing against it since it isn´t P2P which more or less make TOR the only real competition the next year.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

if my game earns me a revenue of 1.8 billion where every other mmo company out there gets couple millions only, i would party 24/7 non stop.... thats still in billions. it is a lot.

Also, perhaps they made a full report for activision blizzard, then also did a breakdown (blizz only / activision only). This OP report could be on blizz games only.

Im just saying, i may be totaly ridiculously stinkily wrong about that.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by derpmeister

Originally posted by Skymourne

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

{mod edit} His point is not a bad one: Blizzard is still making a great deal of money, despite it's heavy losses from the year in total.  I would like to see you form some kind of a point from your original post so i can better understand your rantings.  i await with bated breath.  

edit:  time for some sleep.  i'll check back on you tomorrow.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Where are you getting the 100 million paid server changes? Where is the number coming from I mean? (I'm not doubting you, just trying to understand).

But your wrong about CoD.  I do not like the Cod franchise any longer (since mw1 pretty much), but it is still very popular.  MW3 had $1b in sales in just 16 days.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2073201/Modern-Warfare-3-hits-1-billion-16-days--beating-Avatars-record-day.html

I'm getting it from the same place people get the information about Warcraft alone making 4.3 billion dollars and having 10 million subs paying $15 a month:  My imagination (that's why I threw in the unicorn bit).

• derpmeisterderpmeister Member Posts: 2

{mod dit}

{mod edit} His point is not a bad one: Blizzard is still making a great deal of money, despite it's heavy losses from the year in total.  I would like to see you form some kind of a point from your original post so i can better understand your rantings.  i await with bated breath.  

His points (whatever they were) wouldn't have been been bad if anything he said actually was true. As for the others who are currently debating fictional numbers... well, it's pointless.

To begin with, Blizzard didn't make $4.5 billion, neither did Activision Blizzard. That is their estimated outlook for 2012, they (Activision Blizzard) made $4,489 billion in 2011, down $314 million from 2010 ($4,803 billion).

Now, you can find Activision Blizzard financial earnings here however since i'm such a nice guy (Yes, I can be nice) I will quote them here.

Edit: Just copying this simple sheet and not making it fucking up the forum layout was harder than it should be, anyway:

Year Ended

December 31, 2011

December 31, 2010

Amount

% of Total

Amount

% of Total

Segment net revenues:

Activision(i)

Blizzard(ii)

Distribution(iii)

Operating segment total

There. As you can tell, Activision Blizzard made $4,489 billion in 2011 (Non-GAAP), down $314 million since the year before. Now, Blizzard made $1,243 billion in 2011 (Nowhere near the supposedly $4,5 billion) so how much of that comes from WoW?  Well..

Year Ended

December 31, 2011

December 31, 2010

Amount

% of Total

Amount

% of Total

GAAP Net Revenues by Segment/Platform Mix

Activision and Blizzard:

Online subscriptions*

* Revenue from online subscriptions consists of revenue from all World of Warcraft products, including subscriptions, boxed products, expansion packs, licensing royalties, and value-added services. It also includes revenues from Call of Duty Elite memberships.

It probably wouldn't be farfetched to assume that WoW stands for the majority of that revenue but it's still not "$4,5 billion". Anyway it's easier to just go to http://investor.activision.com/ and check their financial earnings than the half-assed attempt i made here.

Conclusion: Blizzard did not make $4,5 Billion in 2011. WoW did not generate $4,5 billion in net income in 2011. Subs are down, WoW is dying, the skies turns green, all is over and yada yada.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

4.3 Billion is great but that's revenue. What's the profit?

Revenue is all fine but it's profit that the stockholders (and company) are concerned about. Not that I'm saying they are going to be hurting but if after all their expenditures they only have 100k then that's bad. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

{mod dit}

His points (whatever they were) wouldn't have been been bad if anything he said actually was true. As for the others who are currently debating fictional numbers... well, it's pointless.

To begin with, Blizzard didn't make $4.5 billion, neither did Activision Blizzard. That is their estimated outlook for 2012, they (Activision Blizzard) made $4,489 billion in 2011, down $314 million from 2010 ($4,803 billion).

Now, you can find Activision Blizzard financial earnings here however since i'm such a nice guy (Yes, I can be nice) I will quote them here.

Edit: Just copying this simple sheet and not making it fucking up the forum layout was harder than it should be, anyway:

Year Ended

December 31, 2011

December 31, 2010

Amount

% of Total

Amount

% of Total

Segment net revenues:

Activision(i)

Blizzard(ii)

Distribution(iii)

Operating segment total

There. As you can tell, Activision Blizzard made $4,489 billion in 2011 (Non-GAAP), down $314 million since the year before. Now, Blizzard made $1,243 billion in 2011 (Nowhere near the supposedly $4,5 billion) so how much of that comes from WoW?  Well..

Year Ended

December 31, 2011

December 31, 2010

Amount

% of Total

Amount

% of Total

Activision and Blizzard:

Online subscriptions*

* Revenue from online subscriptions consists of revenue from all World of Warcraft products, including subscriptions, boxed products, expansion packs, licensing royalties, and value-added services. It also includes revenues from Call of Duty Elite memberships.

It probably wouldn't be farfetched to assume that WoW stands for the majority of that revenue but it's still not "$4,5 billion". Anyway it's easier to just go to http://investor.activision.com/ and check their financial earnings than the half-assed attempt i made here.

Conclusion: Blizzard did not make $4,5 Billion in 2011. WoW did not generate $4,5 billion in net income in 2011. Subs are down, WoW is dying, the skies turns green, all is over and yada yada.

Now that's more like it, and i tend to agree with you.  I may not be on the wow's dying train, but i'll never be on a wow train in the first place.  I've seen so many folks over the years calim that this cow is dying, yet it's still alive after relentless beatings.  I watch it in my peripheral vision, as if one day it will turn into a zombie and attack...

I'll believe it's "dead" when i read an article that they've turned the servers off.  I may not like it myself anymore, but they will still continue to milk something out of it for a while.

Thank you for responding.  I enjoyed your last post.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

milking cows is what lizzard does nicely and in fact i dont believe even a majority of those who took the annual pass was intrested by diablo3, more or less they just wanted flying my little pony to pimp their toon already massive mount collection ;)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Manipulate? It is a free world.

I WANT the flying pony *and* Diablo 3 .. and a year to sub WOW is the right price. Any problem with that?

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

{mod dit}

Year Ended

December 31, 2011

December 31, 2010

Amount

% of Total

Amount

% of Total

Segment net revenues:

Activision(i)

Blizzard(ii)

Distribution(iii)

Operating segment total

Year Ended

December 31, 2011

December 31, 2010

Amount

% of Total

Amount

% of Total

Activision and Blizzard:

Online subscriptions*

No one is saying that predicted revenue equals actual revenue. That would be absurd. This topic is about predicted revenue. In 2011 if I am not wrong Blizzard did not launch a single game? They are launching one of the most anticipated games in the history of gaming - Diablo 3. We are not talking about a crappy MMO launching in the MMO genre which no one gives a damn about. It's a fairly small segment compared to other segments of the gaming market. I mean face it guys the MMO market is crap :D

If they are launching Diablo 3 and an another title (be it MoP or SC2) I can see them raking in a lot more revenue than previous years. I am not sure if that article was about Activision Blizzard revenues but my guess would be that this is the case. 4.5 billion is too much revenue for a gaming company imo. 

Originally posted by m0lly

milking cows is what lizzard does nicely and in fact i dont believe even a majority of those who took the annual pass was intrested by diablo3, more or less they just wanted flying my little pony to pimp their toon already massive mount collection ;)

To be honest you might have a point there :) I remember when the annual pass was announced everybody in their forums posted how they couldn't wait to get their mount and secure a place in the MOP beta. It looked as if no one really cared about Diablo 3.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.