Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old developers returning to Vanguard? Should we?

13»

Comments

  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,442

    Originally posted by OberanMiM

    Originally posted by Myrdynn

    VG would be a great game, if there was any sort of character development.  Every person in every class is exactly the same

    Gear is the only progression, no talents, no AA's no post cap things to do.  Once you max out diplo and crafting you are pretty much bored

     

     

    You do realize that many classes have specialization routes (for instance clerics have peace, war, purity and a few others) shaman have 3 animal aspects, in many cases these routes require different gear so its not that easy to just swap between them (although you can usually do a quest to do so)

    They were working on AA's. IMHO talents are a waste. Rift proved that although customization is nice it makes balancing a nightmare.. IMHO id rather have an AA system than a talent system. that way when you get someone in a group you don't have to worry too much about their spec and can concentrate more on fun than on critiquing a build..

    yah specializations is just another class, Shaman bear = shaman bear, anyways, I loved VG, just wished for something deeper in character customization at cap.  I havent followed it in a couple years, but a good AA system might just get me to return

    Im not a big fan of the talent system, but at least it makes it feel like I have choices.  VG, I really had none

     

  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

    I wont support them any further until they give us what the players want.

     

    I played it for 1 year 4 years ago.

     They took away one of the most basic elements of an mmorpg these days, the ability to fight for one's faction.  I never expected Sony or Sigil to understand complex pvp ala Dark Age of Camelot (Brad McQuaid has about as much sense as a Marc Jacobs), but we once had a 2 faction server (ONE server).  And they ignorantly ignored our pleas, merged Tharridon the FFA server with ours and killed the one bit of logical lore Vanguard had, i.e., goblins, dark elves, and the like, oppose the good races of the game (yeah, Tolkien model where Lord of the Rings Online failed).

     

    Give us back our server.  And oh em gee, if WoW can make millions off of a 2 faction model, I am sure it wouldn't hurt the Sony corporate suits to consider 1 server that does the same.  Three factions would be best of course, but baby steps...baby...steps here.

    image
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

    Originally posted by teakbois

    It has been confirmed that Vanguard has gotten a boost to their development team.  It has been said that its doubled in size, and rumours are strong that there are devs returning to the game from the past.  Nothing official has been said just who is returning, but I know some people are buzzing about it.

     

    Seems like a good time for people to get back into Vanguard, or new people to try it.  Show SoE that the support will be there for it.

     

    Im no Vanguard fanboi (in fact Im usually pretty critical about it) but for those tired of the on-rails experience and want to actually *explore* dungeons instead of 'run instances', VG could be a breath of fresh air.  Game's population is low, but if enough people return (and lets face it, many of us are tired of the current crop of choices) that wont matter.

     

    So should we make this a return to VG month?  Put aside any ill will (for now) towards SoE and give VG an honest chance for a month.  I'm in, are you?

     

     

     Cite your source please.

    image
  • OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105

    Everyone talks about F2P but what is this game had a lower monthly sub? Or a sub similar to DDO/LOTRO. F2P for trial LvLs as it is now, then say $5 a month for a "limited access" (races/classes/crafting/diplo) and full access for $10 a month.



     

    I LOVE VG and truly wanted it to succeed. Reason why I left the game 3 times was just population other then that the game is amazing. IMO it is the most in-depth MMO to date. Also, one person posted about a server that was faction base. I would love to see something like that in the game.

    image
    image
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

    Originally posted by Comaf

    Originally posted by teakbois

    It has been confirmed that Vanguard has gotten a boost to their development team.  It has been said that its doubled in size, and rumours are strong that there are devs returning to the game from the past.  Nothing official has been said just who is returning, but I know some people are buzzing about it.

     

    Seems like a good time for people to get back into Vanguard, or new people to try it.  Show SoE that the support will be there for it.

     

    Im no Vanguard fanboi (in fact Im usually pretty critical about it) but for those tired of the on-rails experience and want to actually *explore* dungeons instead of 'run instances', VG could be a breath of fresh air.  Game's population is low, but if enough people return (and lets face it, many of us are tired of the current crop of choices) that wont matter.

     

    So should we make this a return to VG month?  Put aside any ill will (for now) towards SoE and give VG an honest chance for a month.  I'm in, are you?

     

     

     Cite your source please.

    The vanguard team doubling and old faces returnng was said by VG's community manager, and its on the official board (if you use the SoE tracker).

     

    Of course they still havent made an official announcement.  I would LOVE to see how things run with Sony/SoE.  I get the feeling Smedley is just the tip of the iceberg and the people above him in SCEI are even more clueless.

  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

    Originally posted by Comaf

     They took away one of the most basic elements of an mmorpg these days, the ability to fight for one's faction.  I never expected Sony or Sigil to understand complex pvp ala Dark Age of Camelot (Brad McQuaid has about as much sense as a Marc Jacobs), but we once had a 2 faction server (ONE server).  And they ignorantly ignored our pleas, merged Tharridon the FFA server with ours and killed the one bit of logical lore Vanguard had, i.e., goblins, dark elves, and the like, oppose the good races of the game (yeah, Tolkien model where Lord of the Rings Online failed).

     

    Give us back our server.  And oh em gee, if WoW can make millions off of a 2 faction model, I am sure it wouldn't hurt the Sony corporate suits to consider 1 server that does the same.  Three factions would be best of course, but baby steps...baby...steps here.

    I dont blame SoE for mostly ignoring PvP.  It worked like a charm in EQ.  If you ignore PvP you dont have to wreck PvE with constant PvP balancing and you dont have to deal with the execessive whining the PvP crowd is famous for (see Rift for example).

     

    Now when EQ was in its peak there was also an amazing PvP game as you know, so there wasnt a big outcry to make EQ more PvP oriented.  Since no game has nailed it like DAoC has the PvP crowd wants every game to be 'their game', not that they dont deserve a good RvRvR option, they certainly do.  But there is nothing wrong with a game having PvP as an afterthought.

     

    McQuaid certainly doesnt know PvP, thats for sure.  He sucks at building an MMO staff too (I thnk the EQ1 team was put together by Smedley).  But he does have an incredible knack for world design, Norrath and Telon are probably the two best non-IP worlds in all MMOs.

  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

    For people curious, right now there seems to be around 250-300 eople on most nights, half of which above 50 and half below.   Isle of Dawn has between 10-30 people in it.  Veskal's Exchange this afternoon was fairly busy, I think most people kind of flock to Thestra after IoD.  Dont think there was a ton of grouing going on though, but did see people asking.

     

    I think if the lowbie population was doubled (so another 150 or so folks) it would make a big difference.  Its also odd that the guilds dont recruit more, I saw a guild that formed fairly recently aiming for new and returnees but didnt advertise themselves much.  A guild like that could really take off, especially if members were willing to mentor.

  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

    Originally posted by teakbois

    It has been confirmed that Vanguard has gotten a boost to their development team.  It has been said that its doubled in size, and rumours are strong that there are devs returning to the game from the past.  Nothing official has been said just who is returning, but I know some people are buzzing about it.

     

    Seems like a good time for people to get back into Vanguard, or new people to try it.  Show SoE that the support will be there for it.

     

    Im no Vanguard fanboi (in fact Im usually pretty critical about it) but for those tired of the on-rails experience and want to actually *explore* dungeons instead of 'run instances', VG could be a breath of fresh air.  Game's population is low, but if enough people return (and lets face it, many of us are tired of the current crop of choices) that wont matter.

     

    So should we make this a return to VG month?  Put aside any ill will (for now) towards SoE and give VG an honest chance for a month.  I'm in, are you?

     

     

    What's with this "we" ? speak for yourself,i never left in the first place.

  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

    Originally posted by Comaf

    Originally posted by teakbois

    It has been confirmed that Vanguard has gotten a boost to their development team.  It has been said that its doubled in size, and rumours are strong that there are devs returning to the game from the past.  Nothing official has been said just who is returning, but I know some people are buzzing about it.

     

    Seems like a good time for people to get back into Vanguard, or new people to try it.  Show SoE that the support will be there for it.

     

    Im no Vanguard fanboi (in fact Im usually pretty critical about it) but for those tired of the on-rails experience and want to actually *explore* dungeons instead of 'run instances', VG could be a breath of fresh air.  Game's population is low, but if enough people return (and lets face it, many of us are tired of the current crop of choices) that wont matter.

     

    So should we make this a return to VG month?  Put aside any ill will (for now) towards SoE and give VG an honest chance for a month.  I'm in, are you?

     

     

     Cite your source please.

    It's old news and easy to find,if you are really interested ,do some reseach,it aint hard to find.image

  • OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

    Originally posted by teakbois

    I dont blame SoE for mostly ignoring PvP.  It worked like a charm in EQ.  If you ignore PvP you dont have to wreck PvE with constant PvP balancing and you dont have to deal with the execessive whining the PvP crowd is famous for (see Rift for example).

     

    Now when EQ was in its peak there was also an amazing PvP game as you know, so there wasnt a big outcry to make EQ more PvP oriented.  Since no game has nailed it like DAoC has the PvP crowd wants every game to be 'their game', not that they dont deserve a good RvRvR option, they certainly do.  But there is nothing wrong with a game having PvP as an afterthought.

     

    McQuaid certainly doesnt know PvP, thats for sure.  He sucks at building an MMO staff too (I thnk the EQ1 team was put together by Smedley).  But he does have an incredible knack for world design, Norrath and Telon are probably the two best non-IP worlds in all MMOs.

    I disagree. EQ was an amazing PvP game on Rallos Zek. But it wasn't because of carnage every night. We guild political systems to keep people civil, there were actual ingame reprecussions for kill stealing, ninja looting, purposeful training.. We had nice rotations for gods & highly desired named mobs (that were enforcable if broken). PvP games don't have to just be combat you know. I really didn't like DAOC. The locking in of factions to be unable to talk to eachother & to be unable to trade/group really turned me off. I had no way to deal with a jerk on my own faction in that game.

    We PvE'ed to PvP. There is a reason Rallos Zek was able to keep the Sleeper asleep for so long. Its because we actually policed our server..

    To me. EQ was at its peak as an amazing pvp game, not for the combat mechanics but for the community (I never even saw an open gold farmer or a bot until after that game because the community as a whole outlawed them and killed them on sight , and on RZ you dropped all your gold when you died to be looted)

    The problem with Vanguard PvP was that it was really really buggy, Their class revamps were horridly imbalanced & every time it became the uber class (for instance the druid revamp). They never fixed some of the core issues such as bards being able to attack people on flying mounts by using songs that continued after they mounted)

  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

    Originally posted by OberanMiM

    Originally posted by teakbois



    I dont blame SoE for mostly ignoring PvP.  It worked like a charm in EQ.  If you ignore PvP you dont have to wreck PvE with constant PvP balancing and you dont have to deal with the execessive whining the PvP crowd is famous for (see Rift for example).

     

    Now when EQ was in its peak there was also an amazing PvP game as you know, so there wasnt a big outcry to make EQ more PvP oriented.  Since no game has nailed it like DAoC has the PvP crowd wants every game to be 'their game', not that they dont deserve a good RvRvR option, they certainly do.  But there is nothing wrong with a game having PvP as an afterthought.

     

    McQuaid certainly doesnt know PvP, thats for sure.  He sucks at building an MMO staff too (I thnk the EQ1 team was put together by Smedley).  But he does have an incredible knack for world design, Norrath and Telon are probably the two best non-IP worlds in all MMOs.

    I disagree. EQ was an amazing PvP game on Rallos Zek. But it wasn't because of carnage every night. We guild political systems to keep people civil, there were actual ingame reprecussions for kill stealing, ninja looting, purposeful training.. We had nice rotations for gods & highly desired named mobs (that were enforcable if broken). PvP games don't have to just be combat you know. I really didn't like DAOC. The locking in of factions to be unable to talk to eachother & to be unable to trade/group really turned me off. I had no way to deal with a jerk on my own faction in that game.

    We PvE'ed to PvP. There is a reason Rallos Zek was able to keep the Sleeper asleep for so long. Its because we actually policed our server..

    To me. EQ was at its peak as an amazing pvp game, not for the combat mechanics but for the community (I never even saw an open gold farmer or a bot until after that game because the community as a whole outlawed them and killed them on sight , and on RZ you dropped all your gold when you died to be looted)

    The problem with Vanguard PvP was that it was really really buggy, Their class revamps were horridly imbalanced & every time it became the uber class (for instance the druid revamp). They never fixed some of the core issues such as bards being able to attack people on flying mounts by using songs that continued after they mounted)

    I never said EQ was a bad PvP game,just that the devs ignored it for the most part, and it led to a more enjoyable experience for the extremely overwhelming majority of the game's players.  What made it work, for you, was that the PvE mechanics lended themselves to good PvP mechanics.  However if you were a PvPer put off by PvE, EQ probaby wasnt going to have a big appeal to you.

     

    Part of the ssue with PvP these days is people get so upset when they lose one on one.  PvP should be a team thing.  DAoC had some horrid class balance, but no one really talks about that.

  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680

    The problem with Vanguard is simple.  The game wasd developed 5 years before PCs could run it smoothly and the game engine was horribly tuned on release. 

     

     

    You want players to return ? Release an offical expansion give people something to be excited about and they will return.

  • HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

    im gonna give botj Vanguard and AoC and new try the next couple of months. AoC first since the first 20 levels are free to play.

    Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

Sign In or Register to comment.