Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good is a 7950:7970 and Gtx 460?

ukiss2903ukiss2903 Member Posts: 69

Hello guys, i'm having a GTX 460 and thinking about buying 7950 and 7970. I know 7970>7950>gtx 460.

If gtx 460 = 100, then what is 7950 and 7970? (rating)

my spec:

800W power spupply

8GB ram

NZXT Tempest EVO Gaming Case Black

AMD II 925 

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

It depends some on exactly what GeForce GTX 460 you have, but as a ballpark estimate, I'd say a Radeon HD 7950 should be about double a GTX 460, and a 7970 should be about 2 1/2 times a GTX 460.

Is there some reason why you want to upgrade?  If the GTX 460 already lets you get 60+ frames per second at max settings in all the games you play, then an upgrade doesn't really accomplish much.  A GeForce GTX 460 is still a capable card.  And even if there is a game where you don't get as high of frame rates as you'd like, it's not immediately obvious that the video card is what is holding you back.

And if you're going to give specs, then you should say exactly which power supply you have, and not merely that it's 800 W.  Give the exact brand name and model.

• ukiss2903ukiss2903 Member Posts: 69

mind power supply look like this 1 on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-800-Watt-Certified-Compatible-Platforms/dp/B004H1XXGQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328992916&sr=8-2

gtx 460 1gb. i remember i bought it for about 300$ last year.

and yeah, i want to upgrade because it doesnt get to 60fps on the game i play, around 30-40 fps. I'm playing Tera.

What do you mean it "look like" that one?  If it says Corsair GS800 on the side, then you're set.

Originally posted by ukiss2903

and yeah, i want to upgrade because it doesnt get to 60fps on the game i play, around 30-40 fps. I'm playing Tera.

Try turning the game to low graphical settings.  If that gets you to 60+ frames per second easily, then the video card upgrade will probably get you the performance you're after.  If lowering graphical settings doesn't improve your frame rate much, then the video card probably isn't the problem in the first place.  I don't know how taxing TERA is on processors as opposed to video cards.

Originally posted by Quizzical

What do you mean it "look like" that one?  If it says Corsair GS800 on the side, then you're set.

it does say Corsair  GS800

• levin70levin70 Member Posts: 87

Try turning the game to low graphical settings.  If that gets you to 60+ frames per second easily, then the video card upgrade will probably get you the performance you're after.  If lowering graphical settings doesn't improve your frame rate much, then the video card probably isn't the problem in the first place.  I don't know how taxing TERA is on processors as opposed to video cards.

I actually do something a little different and I find it helps.  Turn everything down to low settings and then indiviudally adjust one setting up to max and determine your change in frame rate.  Rinse and repeat for all the settings.  Find the one(s) that most affect your fps performance in the games you are playing and then start googling. 

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Is the 30-40fps the number you're getting even when high volumes of people are on the screen in TERA? a 460GTX on the second PC in the house is getting anywhere between 30-70 on an Overclocked old core2duo system and it is general around the 50 mark with the occasional areas up into the 70's and never dropping below 30 even with crap load of people around. Game settings maxed out.

It's not a demanding game so i suggest you explore your possibilities with Quizzical before you splurge on a 79** series.

ok, i used FRAPS to check FPS since the game does not provide the fps checking system, idk if fraps is wrong or not. But my fps doesnt change much when i put to lowest setting. At max setting it is around 30. put it to lowest and it is about 40. Plus i have to let the game stay still ( not moving around in game). if i do that, the max setting is 30, if i move, it drop to 20. Same thing with lowest setting.

standing in a small town.

BTW, i have 60+ fps in Starcrat 2 ultra setting. 

45 fps in Aion max setting and 65 fps with lowest setting

and Tera does give me 55+ fps when outside the town.

any1 still here ?

• xS0u1zxxS0u1zx Member Posts: 209

lol, weren't you the one that tried telling me I should get a different power supply then that one.

• DjevikDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 107

I also read that you can overclock the 7950 to put out as much as a 7970 not overclocked and a little bit better...

I read this on multi reviews on the card on newegg.. 

Originally posted by xS0u1zx

lol, weren't you the one that tried telling me I should get a different power supply then that one.

There's a big difference between "I wouldn't buy that new because you can get something better for cheaper" and "if you already have that, then you need to replace it before it fries something."  The Corsair GS800 is the former but not the latter.  If you don't already have one, then I wouldn't buy one, but if you do already have one, then there's no need to replace it.

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

if you ask me 30-40 fps is still pretty darn good. Hell if i was getting that kind of FPS I wouldn't upgrade yet.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

quizz, u didnt answer my question :D

Never mind FRAPS for a moment.  Does the frame rate look smooth to your eyes?  Or does it look choppy, as though it should be better?  If the former, then it doesn't really matter what FRAPS says the frame rate is.

If you can't get the frame rate as high as you'd like even at low settings, that's usually the sign of a processor bottleneck.  Open Task Manager and go to the Performance tab.  If you have at least one processor core maxed out or close to it, it might be a processor bottleneck and not a video card bottleneck at low settings.  If it's fairly low usage on all four cores, then the processor shouldn't be a problem.

It's possible that you have something like the video card capping your frame rates at 30 frames per second, and the processor at 40, so even if a new video card could deliver 60, you'd still only see 40, because that's all the processor can do.

I don't know how processor intensive TERA is, nor how well it scales to several cores.  A 2.8 GHz Phenom II X4 isn't an especially powerful processor, but it should be enough to make games playable.

Never mind FRAPS for a moment.  Does the frame rate look smooth to your eyes?  Or does it look choppy, as though it should be better?  If the former, then it doesn't really matter what FRAPS says the frame rate is.

If you can't get the frame rate as high as you'd like even at low settings, that's usually the sign of a processor bottleneck.  Open Task Manager and go to the Performance tab.  If you have at least one processor core maxed out or close to it, it might be a processor bottleneck and not a video card bottleneck at low settings.  If it's fairly low usage on all four cores, then the processor shouldn't be a problem.

It's possible that you have something like the video card capping your frame rates at 30 frames per second, and the processor at 40, so even if a new video card could deliver 60, you'd still only see 40, because that's all the processor can do.

I don't know how processor intensive TERA is, nor how well it scales to several cores.  A 2.8 GHz Phenom II X4 isn't an especially powerful processor, but it should be enough to make games playable.

Sorry but im kinda noob about these thing. I open Windows Task manger > performance tab. Idk how to check my processcor core. :D I see the CPU Usage jump up and down,when play game its about 50%+, when i dont play game its about 5%+. Memory is about 4GB when play game. On the right side i see 4 CPU Usage History. Is that what the processcor core you were talking about ? If yes, then when play game, these 4 show me the ray about 50% +. ill post a picture below

When playgame:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee440/dg2903/Untitled-4.png

when Not play game: 

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee440/dg2903/q.png

The game does look ok to my eyes. but when i go to town its kinda choppy. But i dont like having low fps :D because it will be terrible in massive pvp :D

Is that with graphics on high settings or low settings?  If that's high settings, then I'd like to see an analogous picture for low graphical settings.

Also, on low settings, does the game seem smooth enough to you?

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

In bios reduce your buss speed to 100, then set your ram and NB to as close to current values as possible. You may need to fiddle a bit since the 925 isn't unlocked but this will tell you if Tera is CPU bound or GPU bound.

Or reduce your gpu clocks by 25% and note the framerate differences. 

If you can OC your processor it will also show what the problem is. with aftermarket air cooler it should do over 3.5ghz. Also your NB should do 2.5ghz or more with a TINY!!!!!!!!! bit more voltage.

If it's CPU bound and you are at stock clocks then OC. if not then GPU upgrade.

Ok, here are new pic:

Highest setting:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee440/dg2903/High.png

Lowest setting:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee440/dg2903/Low.png

The lowest setting does look smoother.

Originally posted by grndzro

In bios reduce your buss speed to 100, then set your ram and NB to as close to current values as possible. You may need to fiddle a bit since the 925 isn't unlocked but this will tell you if Tera is CPU bound or GPU bound.

Or reduce your gpu clocks by 25% and note the framerate differences. 

If you can OC your processor it will also show what the problem is. with aftermarket air cooler it should do over 3.5ghz. Also your NB should do 2.5ghz or more with a TINY!!!!!!!!! bit more voltage.

If it's CPU bound and you are at stock clocks then OC. if not then GPU upgrade.

I have no idea what you are talking about :D im noob at these thing.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Some games have FPS locks, and there are many cases where there are slight incompatibilities with FRAPS, and FRAPS causes the FPS to lock at whatever the recording rate is set at (regardless of if you are recording or not).

http://frapsforum.com/threads/fraps-locking-games-to-30-fps.441/

It may not even be your video card. Also remember, yes TERA is released in the East, but it's still beta here, and may still have some debug or other ancillary code in place that affects performance just for the duration of the beta period.

ok so what should i do ? :D

I would wait until TERA launches and see how the game runs then.  At the very least, there will probably be a lot more information out there about what hardware TERA needs to run well, so that we don't guess wrong and get you the wrong hardware now.

Besides, there are some major hardware launches due just before the game launches.  There are also rumors that Nvidia will have a highly competitive video card for $300 out around that time, which could force AMD to slash prices to be competitive.  I don't entirely believe those rumors, however.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

I would wait until TERA launches and see how the game runs then.  At the very least, there will probably be a lot more information out there about what hardware TERA needs to run well, so that we don't guess wrong and get you the wrong hardware now.

Besides, there are some major hardware launches due just before the game launches.  There are also rumors that Nvidia will have a highly competitive video card for $300 out around that time, which could force AMD to slash prices to be competitive.  I don't entirely believe those rumors, however.

Me either, NV are having GK104 yield issues. and there is the speed difference in GDDR5 controllers. If NV don't fix their GDDR5 controller and their cards are stuck at ~4500mhz their GPU physics will cripple their framerates. as well as having 33% less bandwidth at the same bus width.

Yield issues plays havok with overclockability. 7000 series OC's like crazy.