Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest goes free to play march 2012

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

About time.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

It's been posted in the news section, bro :P

The game is just too old for me, e.g., graphics, bloated economy, twinks and more twinks, etc.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by precious328

It's been posted in the news section, bro :P

The game is just too old for me, e.g., graphics, bloated economy, twinks and more twinks, etc.

Yeah, no way I would go back now, not without a fresh server.

That seems out of the question though, and they have even blocked off the prog servers under this model, which is a shame.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Too old a game, too late to go F2P.  I mght have been interested in going back, a few years ago, but not now.  Much as I loved the game, when I used up some free days from Sony I was shocked at how dated and clunky it was - I mean I knew it was an old game, but it really hasn't aged well at all.  It wouldnd even be worth downloading the bloatware.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Originally posted by Dibdabs

I mean I knew it was an old game, but it really hasn't aged well at all.

For a 13 year old game, it hasn't aged well?  Please show me a game that has aged well that is equally as old lol.

It's old and different yes, but it's due to it being old and different from the newer games today that people still go back to play it from time to time.  I personally don't spend as much time playing it these days, but I still enjoy my time when I do play it.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Mardy

For a 13 year old game, it hasn't aged well?  Please show me a game that has aged well that is equally as old lol.

It's old and different yes, but it's due to it being old and different from the newer games today that people still go back to play it from time to time.  I personally don't spend as much time playing it these days, but I still enjoy my time when I do play it.

I went back to EQ recently and played for a handful of months. I think it's aged just fine, and that it's better than most mmo's on the market today and probably better than many of the mmo's that will be released in the next couple years. Not all, but many.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

when SOE was having December sales on Station Cash  (both triple and double)   I bought some

look forward to unlocking my high elf enchanter :)

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

Too old a game, too late to go F2P.  I mght have been interested in going back, a few years ago, but not now.  Much as I loved the game, when I used up some free days from Sony I was shocked at how dated and clunky it was - I mean I knew it was an old game, but it really hasn't aged well at all.  It wouldnd even be worth downloading the bloatware.

I went back about 2 years ago.  I sub on and off since, I couldnt disagree with you more if I even wanted to.  Only thing this game needs is more players.  tons of content and its so cool visiting my old haunts in EQ.  One of the best MMOs out there...still.  If Zek is packed with people due to this I may come back full time.

Originally posted by Mardy

Age of Empires 2, Dungeon Keeper 2, Alpha Centuari, Planescape Torment... ;)

1999 was a great year for games tbh.

But, yeah, that aside, I think EQ has aged really well TBH, if your willing to accept it for what it is and not expect it to be Rift or whatever.

But... for me no new server for the F2P launch = no new play. I'm not interested in joining top heavy 13 year old communities with borked economies.

• camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

hi,

its just funny and unlogical, they have made everquest 2  f2p before everquest i dont see there any point, if they wanted to make a mmo free, they should have made everquest first.

i think same as others the game is a bit old to play it now, anyway there are many mmos out now to trie them, Aion is soon free to play aswell.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

And if you read further about "everquest the way you want to play", it translates to pay2win with our shop solution. Not really a surprice, this turd has been underway for a long time - Trying to think of the year the last good SOE decision was made.

All oldschool players (those who would play everquest) love shop solutions because with pay2win always makes a game much better, and it was never about the adventure it was always about winning the game.. look up sarcasm in the dictionary if you dont beleive it.

Struggling to ignore the fact that I still pay to this shit company every month (progression does not go free) and just enjoying the last breaths of the greatest game ever.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I'm not overly impressed with the F2P options here.  Here's why...

• Space.  EQ is notorious for needing 8x10 slot bags to hold things as you adventure.  Otherwise, most of the game is running back and forth to vendors to open more space for loot.  The limit of 4 bags is extreme, almost to the unplayable level.

• Access.  There is essentially no chance to run my previous characters in the F2P.  The limit of 4 character races is harsh due to the basic game having 11 character races (human, erudite, barbarian, hobbit, ogre, troll, dark elf, dwarf, wood elf high elf and gnome) plus a number of additional raced introduced over the years (froglocks, etc.)  Which of my characters will I not be able to access due to race?  Are there options to purchase access to additional races?  Will this open up existing characters?

• Server choices.  With the restrictions above it seems that it is intended for players to generate new characters to operate in the F2P environment.  But, all the progression servers are prohibited to F2P accounts.  And these are the servers that the F2P returnees who want to relive the 'glory' days most want to play, especially if they are essentially restricted to playing new characters only.

• Mail.  Only able to recieve in-game mail?  Really?  That seems like a pointless restriction.  I'd rather see a heavier in-game cost for sending mail (3x for text-only messages) and sending items (25x to send an item/stack).  I'd even accept a price to recieve an item via mail for F2P/Silver levels.

I'd love to give EQ another go.  I know it will run on my machine (it did it once, it can do it again).  But the old game just isn't worth $15.95 a month anymore.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Originally posted by vesavius

But, yeah, that aside, I think EQ has aged really well TBH, if your willing to accept it for what it is and not expect it to be Rift or whatever.

But... for me no new server for the F2P launch = no new play. I'm not interested in joining top heavy 13 year old communities with borked economies.

I was going to go further back and say X-Com or Master of Magic, but those work, too.

SoE really needs to put some new F2P servers out there, just for the various players who don't want to deal with the issues of existing servers.  I tried to return after the Omens of War era -- I was so far behind the 'curve' for equipment / AAs / etc. that I wasn't able to contribute to groups in any capacity -- Warrior, Enchanter, Paladin, Beserker, Rogue, Magician or whatever.  The mudflation, compounded by years of raiding high-level content, made it necessary for a tank class to have 15,000 HPs for an experience grind.  A once mid-level tank of 7-9k HPs just couldn't go anywhere where there were people to group with.  And my enchanter simply didn't have the level-specific spells to affect the higher level mobs there.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

If I want to play free EQ I'll just go back to the project 99 emulator.  I wouldn't touch the current version of EQ SOE hosts even if they payed me.

• SubilacSubilac Member UncommonPosts: 49

I played EQ from 1999-2004 and miss it. No MMO will ever top my time in EQ. I recently unsubbed Rift and don't think I'll even be trying Star Wars: TOR. WoW was really fun at one point, but got old. I tried DDO and got to level 18 solo, but that game is a money hog. Runescape was okay, but the average player age is 5.

When EQ goes Free to play, I might go back, but at the same time, all my friends are gone and am thinking to leave the magic as I left it. I don't know, I need a great MMO! Thank God for Skyrim because I'm having a great time.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Mendel

• Access.  There is essentially no chance to run my previous characters in the F2P.  The limit of 4 character races is harsh due to the basic game having 11 character races Which of my characters will I not be able to access due to race?   Will this open up existing characters?

from the faq

http://www.everquest.com/free/

Any character you created before February 29th 2012 will be playable regardless of race or class.

Originally posted by Mendel

Originally posted by vesavius

I was going to go further back and say X-Com or Master of Magic, but those work, too.

SoE really needs to put some new F2P servers out there, just for the various players who don't want to deal with the issues of existing servers.  I tried to return after the Omens of War era -- I was so far behind the 'curve' for equipment / AAs / etc. that I wasn't able to contribute to groups in any capacity -- Warrior, Enchanter, Paladin, Beserker, Rogue, Magician or whatever.  The mudflation, compounded by years of raiding high-level content, made it necessary for a tank class to have 15,000 HPs for an experience grind.  A once mid-level tank of 7-9k HPs just couldn't go anywhere where there were people to group with.  And my enchanter simply didn't have the level-specific spells to affect the higher level mobs there.

Indeed, a fresh server for a mass restart i more importnant in EQ then any other game, and it's a biggie for me in general.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Originally posted by kjempff

And if you read further about "everquest the way you want to play", it translates to pay2win with our shop solution. Not really a surprice, this turd has been underway for a long time - Trying to think of the year the last good SOE decision was made.

All oldschool players (those who would play everquest) love shop solutions because with pay2win always makes a game much better, and it was never about the adventure it was always about winning the game.. look up sarcasm in the dictionary if you dont beleive it.

Struggling to ignore the fact that I still pay to this shit company every month (progression does not go free) and just enjoying the last breaths of the greatest game ever.

Well Kjempff,I left Rift after playing almost a year. 4 l50s 2 who are r8. I have no regrets, enjoying Eq immensely! As to the pay to win comment. Almost everything in the SC shop is decorative. No real items of interest that make your character OP. They do sell experience pots, but really thats about it!

Would I go back to Rift? Well I subbed Eq for 6 months. I play on both progression servers and regular servers. I am loving it!

I wont be going back to a game where I can level 1-50 in less than a week!  I will be playing EQ as it is a challenging MMO!