Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What were your best starter areas in MMO's you played?

Comments

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Probably the whole Qeynos / Qeynos Hills / Blackburrow / West Karana area of Everquest 1.  Aside from Holly Windstalker.  She was awful.

I remember people just hanging out at the gates of Qeynos talking, buffing newbies, and hanging out, back when people used to socialize in MMOs.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

EverQuest
    Kelethin and Greater Faydark
    The rush when trying to find the ramp down to the next platform without first stopping and "peeking" was cool. Having masses of wasps sting you was something to look out for. Wasps used to be quite social. Having the black wolves con "amiable" to my Wood Elf Druid and Ranger was neat. Watching the Pixie Tricksters in their "spread eagle death fall" was funny. Getting drunk in EQ for the first time and seeing my screen change to show the effects of my drinking and how I talked, too was hilarious!

World of Warcraft
    Teldrassil
    The night Elves and their starting area was at first too cartoony for me. It wasn't until about a year or so later that I actually started playing after I bought the game. I remember taming my first spider with my hunter, then moving on to a cat and finally an owl. I remember fondly turning that Satyr into a frog with the fel cones. lol I recall getting my ass kicked by the named satyr in the Grell caves time and time again before finally besting him with help. Darnassus was HUGE to me then.

City of Heroes
    Galaxy City
    I never chose the "default location" after the tutorial, so Galaxy City it was. Talking with The Back Alley Brawler for my first level up, hunting hellions and vahzilok, and rescuing so many women getting mugged! The first time I saw an NPC mention me BY NAME in a random comment was truly fascinating! "Cyclown for President!" Having my enhancements fill up and running to sell them off before I missed the good drops!

Guild Wars
    Pre-Searing Ascalon
    It was so beautiful! I left once and was so disappointed I never wanted to leave again! Gwen was a riot to talk with. Davonna reminded me so much of Aribeth from NWN it was uncanny. Getting my special ranger bow was something special, and hard to do. On the bad side, I felt so alone in the wilderness.

Those are the ones that held my interest for any length of time.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Rusty715

Dun Morogh (pre cata) in WOW would be my favorite. And I liked the Elf area in LOTRO a lot. I guess those would be my two favorite starting areas of hte MMO's ive played.

Same, here.  Just LOVED the art design... a perfect vulgar fantasy area, IMO.  LotRO's Elf starter area is a close second, and the winner for Non-vulgar fantasy. 

Not that questing was particularly good in either area.  For that, the winner goes to AoC's Tortage, which is beautiful in its own right.

OT:  UH OH... the 4story ad to the left is saying there are some "5000 'Mosters' are thirsty for my blood..."

Originally posted by Vesavius
    Misty Thicket.
    Loved that little zone,with all the halflings running around after wasps, and the Rivervale theme tune still makes me smile.

Same here!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by ropenice

Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    Blackburrow - (EQ)

Tomb of Mythra - (DAOC)

Tatooine - (SWG PreCU)

Commonlands - (EQ2 - launch)
    Yeah, BB in EQ was always fun no matter how many alts i took through there. You'd work your way deep into the dungeon, only to see"Train!" pop up in text. 30 toons running for the zone exit with Gnolls of all levels chsing them. Fun times. Tortuge in AoC was good too. Can't remember what UO noob area was called, but without zones you could quickly find yourself being chased out of the woods by things much higher level than you. Was fun to discover what was out there.

Yea, my young ranger found the "trap" in the tree just inside the zone and promptly died! I had to get help to get my corpse! lol

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• ReprobateReprobate Member Posts: 18

Hathor Zhi in vanguard. I loved that place. The gnome city was also cool.

Originally posted by s1fu71
    Halas (EQ) I liked the frozen, desolate region

HALAS! I forgot about that. The shooting gallery in Everfrost was hilarious. Mobs just wandering back and forth as you come out of the Halas tunnel. Trying to pick just one out of that lineup at level 1... Running for the guards with the "Vengefuls (Soloist, Composer, Lyricist)" on your tail. The snowy area was awesome. I love snow :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

Hard to say which is my actual favorite, but really loved the starting area for Dranei in Wow.  With graphics on highest settings it was really nice. Also liked Breeland in Lotro, Kelethin/Greater Faydark in everquest II, and probably all of whats been mentioned here already.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by Edeus  

Eh, difference of opinion. I just think its nice that it wasn't expressed in the form of "OMG YOU'RE WRONG YOUR GAME IS LAME AND EVERYTHING I LIKE IS UNIVERSALLY GOOD FACT FACT FACT NO OPINION FACT FACT"

Kudos.

Hey, like I said, I was just fascinated by how two peoples' experiences and resulting opinions could differ so drastically.  I'm not in the business of hating :)  You can probably generate just as many gripes about some of the game zones I listed as my favorites. 

• vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71

Ak'Anon/Steamfont Mountains - EverQuest

My first character was a gnome necromancer on a friends account just after release. That was what started my love for the gnome starting areas (though I do remember my first foray into BB on auto-follow... I looked down and when I looked up I was dead and saw the image of three dwarven guards running over my corpse and them saying I ruined my own lands and wouldn't ruin theirs...).

A few months later I purchased a computer and my own copy and ended up making a human cleric. Needless to say, I spent A LOT of time in Steamfont Mountains buffing and healing newbies. I also spent a lot of time wandering Antonica, chatting and doing run-by rezzes on any corpses I passed.

I miss the old EQ style of MMO... More conversation and more connections. This was before voice chat took away a lot of people. (Note: I'm not a fan of voice chat because it limits the number of people that can talk, especially when you factor in delay that causes people to overlap in a conversation)

• proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

Britain - UO. 

Remember hidden reds trying to pick pocket anyone with goods. Spamming "guards" any time you felt like someone maybe watching you.

Greater Faydark - EQ

Remember playing a druid first before I knew anything about stats. I seriously thought finding a real sword and not a mace with armor with str/dex/agi was a good idea. Ignorant bliss.

Bestine - SWG

Remember saying "yes" to somone over chat and my character nodded his head. I totally flipped running around my house yelling what a breakthrough in gaming it was.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

Every starting area in EQ.  Some are better then others, but every one of them had character.

- I admit particular fondness for the Dark Elves' "log".

- And I always liked collecting bone shards outside of Paineel or outside Kaladim.

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161

Originally posted by proponent
    Greater Faydark - EQ
    Remember playing a druid first before I knew anything about stats. I seriously thought finding a real sword and not a mace with armor with str/dex/agi was a good idea. Ignorant bliss.  

That brings back some memories! My barbarian rogue (already a hard race-class combination!) using a sword and shield! I had to teach him to stab at level ten!

Yeah, I busted my MMO Cherry in GFay, so many years (decades?) ago. I think I still have notecards with the ingredients for the armor quests written on them. Finding an orc ribcage in CB was tough. Yeah, had to make friends and group in those days...

I have to say I enjoyed Tortage (AoC), the first three times...

The Original Isle of Refuge (EQ2), was fun until I memorized it.

Vanguard has quite a few fun racial starting areas. I have yet to try them all.

WarHammer's Orc area.

LotRO was fun, especially seeing the fall of Edhellion in the elf tutorial and then joining the game several centuries later.

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

DAOC - all three starting areas with a slight lean toward Midgard because I just loved the viking structures and brooding atmosphere.  Big beautiful castles/fortresses within range of where you start and just an overall great experience.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Vesavius

Misty Thicket.

Loved that little zone,with all the halflings running around after wasps, and the Rivervale theme tune still makes me smile.

Same here!

Yes, I liked Misty Thicket, too.

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

Kelethin - EQ

Kojan - Vanguard

The starter zone for Midgard in DAoC... what was it callled?  It's been so long.  Honestly, I think it was the next zone south that I really liked but i don't recall.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

Pre Ascalon Guild wars

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Gilneas, Thirisfal Glades (WoW). Waiting for MoP to see how beautiful will be the asian starting area there.

Kelethin (EQ2)

Ascalon (GW prophecies)

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

EQ2 -- Greater Faydark...    It was so impressive...   It just dwarfed you with its size and  dazzled you with its beauty.   I have yet to start a game with that overwhelming sense of awe.

Eve Online --  Any racial starting area...    When you first undock and see those beautiful stars...  And they're actual 'in-game' stars and nebula...   Wow.   Amazing.

Fallen Earth --  Can't remember the town...   But you come out of the regen chamber as a new clone and walk outside and it's Mad Max...  Horses, dune buggies, motorcycles...   Guys and gals in leather and police helments and cowboy hats and all kinds of wild get-ups...      Too bad the bad things happened, otherwise I could still be playing that game...

STO --  Ok, the game's not very good...    But Starfleet academy right there under the GG bridge...   Wow...   Made me homesick for San Francisco...

• BLueBEarBLueBEar Member Posts: 242

Anarchy Online, can't remember the exact name of the starting area but i do remember the leets and rollerats ;)

Oh my got!!!
    i neber see a graphic of this before,
    i neber p2p any game before, but this game i must!

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Toxxulia Forest (EQ1) - the zone just gave such an erie feeling with that misty,green fog. which only let you see a couple yards in front of you.It took a while for one to get their bearings becuase of it,often times you'd get lost for long periods of time.There were so many dangers with kobolds,poachers,Rungup the troll,and skeletons too..

I swear I'd dream about the place in my sleep.

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by snoop101
    Lots of good starting zones from many mmos, but the starting zones in Warhammer online blew me away. From level 1 it felt like you are in a war.

I agree, but then that feeling didn't continue.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• SchockeySchockey Member UncommonPosts: 58

I loved AOC Tortage as well and The Shire. Probably my favorite is Bree-land in LOTRO, i just like the feeling of being around that 1st city and venturing out from it. Book 1 starts there as well Prancing pony :)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Nektulos Forest - EQ

Qeynos Hills - EQ

Dark Elf Village/Swampland - Lineage II

Talking Island - Lineage II

Teldrassil - World of Warcraft

All that really stand out in my memory so I guess that would make them the best for me.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Another for Asheron's Call here, my first MMO. I logged in and the whole game was the starter area.. zoneless, massive and 100% unrestricted landmass (some dungeon instances were later level restricted). I played that game for far too many years and I probably didn't even see everything or go everywhere. Games just don't come with that sort of scale anymore.

The starts of Anarachy Onlines shadowlands was also one of my favs. Best and largest expansion ever made IMO, its basically a whole game all on its own and could probably have been released as one.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.