Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Realm of the Fae

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Caedryn the Dwarf has finally made it to his first dungeon! Light the sparklers! In our latest Chronicles of One Telaran, we follow Caedryn on his journey into the Realm of the Fae. Read on!

This was a while back, and I quickly realized I needed to meet up with a group of players to get through the dungeon. I thought my loyal readers might be willing to help out. Hah! I say. Hah, indeed! I suppose you all have better things to do on a Saturday morning? For shame, readers. For shame.

Read more Chronicles of One Telanran: Realm of the Fae.

Hello? Anybody here? Hell-o-o?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Just be thankful that you made it through. I have two level 50's (Warrior and Rogue) and between the two I've managed to get through three dungeons TOTAL.  It got to the point that I'd not even bother keeping dungeon quests in my log.   I've literally spent hours in LFG without being able to get a party together. 

Even with the advent of their version of dungeon finder (a PALE shadow of the original) it could still take hours to get into a party.  Its too bad, as the few I've seen, seemed entertaining. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ZuuzZuuz Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Wraithone

Just be thankful that you made it through. I have two level 50's (Warrior and Rogue) and between the two I've managed to get through three dungeons TOTAL.  It got to the point that I'd not even bother keeping dungeon quests in my log.   I've literally spent hours in LFG without being able to get a party together. 

Even with the advent of their version of dungeon finder (a PALE shadow of the original) it could still take hours to get into a party.  Its too bad, as the few I've seen, seemed entertaining. 

Could be because of the recent influx of new players from rift lite, but I have no trouble at all finding groups on my warrior leveling up. I've done every dungeon multiple times so far and I've been queuing as dps! 

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Just prior to Rift Lite, I had zero issues on 3 toons finding a group for that dungeon.. Hell one time, I had an almost full group and some 50 hopped on and ran Fae for us.. We would have been fine without but he made it much faster.. Now thatLite is out, I'm already out of Silverwood on all my toons so I can't speak for much but the invasions there are huge lately.

I was in at launch with my warrior. I ran it to level 50 and managed ONE dungeon from 1-50. I then started a rogue, and ran that to 40 something, and finally went back to WoW for awhile.  I came back right after the DF finder clone was started, and it wasn't all that much of a help. I finally transfered to one of the most populated servers and managed two more dungeons on my way to 50.  One shouldn't have to spam the LFG chat for hours to experience some of the games content. 

I'm certain we will hear from those with long friends lists and/or large guilds that they have had no problem.  The problem is that such people are more of an exception than the rule from my experience.  Because of my experience with my warrior, I've gone out of my way to help lower levels, and they've always been amazed that anyone would bother to help them.  That tells me all I need to know about the general experience. 

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

I was in at launch with my warrior. I ran it to level 50 and managed ONE dungeon from 1-50. I then started a rogue, and ran that to 40 something, and finally went back to WoW for awhile.  I came back right after the DF finder clone was started, and it wasn't all that much of a help. I finally transfered to one of the most populated servers and managed two more dungeons on my way to 50.  One shouldn't have to spam the LFG chat for hours to experience some of the games content. 

I'm certain we will hear from those with long friends lists and/or large guilds that they have had no problem.  The problem is that such people are more of an exception than the rule from my experience.  Because of my experience with my warrior, I've gone out of my way to help lower levels, and they've always been amazed that anyone would bother to help them.  That tells me all I need to know about the general experience. 

Was the warrior Tank or DPS?  If it was a Tank I call BS.

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

DPS. I was tempted many times to go the tank route, but I lack the sustained focus required for the role. I've been the victim of WAY too many people using the fast pop tanks get and not being nearly geared and/or experienced enough to handle the role, to inflict that on others. 

DPS. I was tempted many times to go the tank route, but I lack the sustained focus required for the role. I've been the victim of WAY too many people using the fast pop tanks get and not being nearly geared and/or experienced enough to handle the role, to inflict that on others. 

There's your answer.  DPS in all games have a longer queue time, BTW the crap tanks are still there but then again that's what you get for LFG.

• Koen83Koen83 Member UncommonPosts: 66

There's your answer.  DPS in all games have a longer queue time, BTW the crap tanks are still there but then again that's what you get for LFG.

I have had a similar experience albeit as a  healer. I really didnt do but just a few dungeons at the start but after level 20 my guild had out leveled me and really there was very few peple doing what i was doing. They did not have the DF then so i never did any mid to higher level dungens, which meant I never learned them and had no experience running them. After I reached 50 i ran the regular ones a few times with no problems, since they are easy. But tier 2 is a different story since you not only need to be deciently geared but some experience doing the more entailed routines of a tier 2. And running random tier 2 as a partially geared healer in groups that have no interest in assisting you learn the ropes is very frustarting.

It always comes down to the same thing ...you need experience to get the job but if you have no job you cant get the experience. You need good gear to run higher level stuff  well (not learning them) but you need the gear to run them well and you need to run them to do them well.

This is not a problem for me in WOW because when new content (once a year, hehe) comes out in wow my buds and I endure learning and gearing together, and its a fun experience, but when the support stucture is not there it is frustartion city. My present  guild in Rift can care less in me learning anything. I know ,I know you say just find another>>> that is easier said than done >PERIOD and not have the same problem.

It would be really good to be able to learn instances yourself and do them and then do them with other after you have learned them, but I dont think that will ever happen.

PS Wait times even for healers can be longer than you think sometimes. I have waited up to 30 mins for an instance to heal it>>it is not often instant q.

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

I'm sorry your dungeon experience wasn't what you were hoping for.  Something I'd suggest is while you are in queue, make sure to mention something in the appropriate level chat, people still read that and sometimes people will join up with you for a run.

I would also suggest waiting until you've completed the Life story quests in Silverwood before jumping into ROTF again.  As there will be added story and encounters in the dungeon (but make sure the rest of your party knows about these as the dungeon does change).

In regards to what other people have said, I have hit every dungeon at least once in my leveling experience (actually still don't have a lvl 50, and have just started over again on a new server after a 6 month break so I'm only lvl 29), and that was back before the LFG tool.

Now, I play a mage and have a dps spec, a support role, and a healing role, so I queue as all and have always been assigned the support role.  I guess that's what makes my experience different from others, but I thoroughly enjoy all the available roles, and I hate confining myself to one duty.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• KeieyKeiey Member Posts: 1

I know all about lvl 50s running you through a dungeon... I've been in both positions of that group many times.  I guess I am on of the luckier players... over my 7 defiants and 5 guardians I had seen most of the content before any of them reached lvl 50.

I guess I was fortunate enough to not realize that I needed to do the life saga, so I didn't get around to it until I hit 50 and won a roll for the Heart of Greenscale.  As of now, I'm into the lvl 30 quests...soloing all the way of course.

And yes, mages are awesome.  My main (atm) is a mage and I'm loving it.

My most odd experience in a dungeon that i can remember was in the situation described in the article.  I queued, at lvl 50, for RotF for the life saga quest.  To my surprise, the group vote-kicked me, "because I messed up XP".

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

The only reason people with long friends list or in guilds being the exception is because lazy fucking entitlement babies who think they should be able to solo everything in a fucking multiplayer game.

Maybe instead of relying on LFG tools you use this nifty little function called /tell and /who

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Koen83

PS Wait times even for healers can be longer than you think sometimes. I have waited up to 30 mins for an instance to heal it>>it is not often instant q.

Just rolled my first healer, a Dwarf Warden and Realm of the Fae queue was 20 minutes.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Ikeda

Just prior to Rift Lite, I had zero issues on 3 toons finding a group for that dungeon.. Hell one time, I had an almost full group and some 50 hopped on and ran Fae for us.. We would have been fine without but he made it much faster.. Now thatLite is out, I'm already out of Silverwood on all my toons so I can't speak for much but the invasions there are huge lately.

Rift Lite isnt some huge population boost or anything, its still just a trial.  Little bit more trials because of the heavy advertising, but its not really noticeable, on Faeblight at least.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I find that as a healer my queues aren't that long. As a tank I get a group instantly.

I never queue as DPS only. That is asking for a long wait. Anyone can DPS. It behooves players to learn the more critical roles.

This is on normal servers.

I suspect not too many people are trying to group up 1-20. What is the minimum to use LFD? 15ish? That leaves out 3/4 of the population, and I would think that at level 20 one makes an alt or goes to the subscription servers.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by Ikeda

Rift Lite isnt some huge population boost or anything, its still just a trial.  Little bit more trials because of the heavy advertising, but its not really noticeable, on Faeblight at least.

Faeblight is not a trial server. I thought Rift Lite was available only on Trial servers. Is that not correct?

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Golelorn

Faeblight is not a trial server. I thought Rift Lite was available only on Trial servers. Is that not correct?

I think Rift Lite is available only on the non-trial servers