Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions on your MMO requirements.

DukeTyrionDukeTyrion Member UncommonPosts: 89

Many people are talking about what they want from an MMO, but it seems somewhat varied, so I thought I would ask a few questions and see how varied the responses were. Please feel free to answer each with just A, B or C etc...

1) Do you want PvP in your MMO?

a) Yes

b) No

c) Don't care

2) How many factions would you like in your MMO PvP?

a) Free open PvP (Everyone is killable)

b) 2 Factions

c) 3 Factions

d) Multiple (4 or more)

3) What death penalty are you looking for in game?

a) Minimal, you want to be straight back in the action

b) You want death to be avoided, so some decent cost

c) Harsh, you want people to actually fear deat in game

d) Hardcore, prema-death

4) What levelling speed are you looking for?

a) Fast, I want to be at the end game A.S.A.P

b) Middle, I want to feel myself progressing, but take a while levelling

c) Slow, I want the drops I get to last some time before they are replaced

5) What do you consider the most important aspect of the game?

a) The levelling

b) The End Game

c) The PvP

d) The side parts of the game (Housing, collections etc...)

6) What style of game world would you prefer?

a) Linear (standard progression between zones)

b) Open World (Free to go anywhere, even if it means walking into places you shouldn't be)

c) Sand-Box (No levelling pre-se, but other means of gear and skill to progress)

Thanks in advance for any replies, just trying to get an idea as to how many are seeking the same type of game I am, and hopefully these answers will tell me that.

Comments

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Noooo...a survey!!

..or...a sneaky attempt at getting easy research for a college project :)

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by DukeTyrion

a) Yes

b) No

c) Don't care

C) I dont dislike PvP, but I prefer PvE and think it should be the focus in my personal ideal game.

b) 2 Factions

c) 3 Factions

d) Multiple (4 or more)

D) The more the merrier

d) Hardcore, prema-death

A & C) There should be a good reason to avoid death. Loss of exp, exp debt, something along those lines. Dying, however, should NOT take you completely out of the game such as with rez sickness. I'd rather get back up and start working to recover what I lost than to be unable to do anything but stare at the back of my character's head for 5 minutes.

C) I want to get some lasting value out of my MMOs. None of this play and throw away crap like we've been getting.

a) The levelling

b) The End Game

c) The PvP

A) There's always something new to see. Always some new ability to look forward to. This is the part I enjoy most in an MMO.

b) Open World (Free to go anywhere, even if it means walking into places you shouldn't be)

c) Sand-Box (No levelling pre-se, but other means of gear and skill to progress)

B) I'm an exploration junkie that hasn't had a good fix in years.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I can't answer any of those.

All of those depend completely on how its done.

for example I am not averse to having PVP in my game, but PVP that is done right.

If the PVP sucks id rather not have it there at all.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

just an FYI: if you answer 'dont care or dont want' in your first question what you you expect people to answer in the second question?

this reminds me of college exams, I think we can create better ones.

I wil say this though, its likely I would not play an MMO for very long unless it had empire building. By that I mean clan vs clan warfare, with clan built cities, craftable ships etc.

That said, without those items I am still very curious to find out what World of Darkness would be like

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DukeTyrionDukeTyrion Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

just an FYI: if you answer 'dont care or dont want' in your first question what you you expect people to answer in the second question?

All of the questions are independant of each other.

As for your example, Everquest 2 has 2 main factions, but is purely a PvE game.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

All of the questions are independant of each other.

As for your example, Everquest 2 has 2 main factions, but is purely a PvE game.

^ This

Faction is NOT just about PvP. Final Fantasy XI had 3, yet there was very little PvP in the game at all.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Many people are talking about what they want from an MMO, but it seems somewhat varied, so I thought I would ask a few questions and see how varied the responses were. Please feel free to answer each with just A, B or C etc...

a) Yes

b) No

c) Don't care

b)  2 Factions  The stipulation is that they be balnaced and relatively equal in numbers. That may mean that devs work on a mechanism that balances and moves players from servers to achieve this . Possible ? Practical ? This would really apply to any game that has factions. Nothing worse then being on a server with skewed numbers.

c) 3 Factions

d) Multiple (4 or more)

c) Harsh, you want people to actually fear deat in game Chosing this means that server setting a balance need to be adjusted and and the game set to reasonibly reflect and amount of damage and provide reasonable escape method to avoid death. There are so many things wrong with the current mechanics that make gameplay dull or death irrelavant . A balance is needed , the question is it possible to approximate it and not ruin a game is the real question .

d) Hardcore, prema-death

b) Middle, I want to feel myself progressing, but take a while levelling So much of any game now is people racing to the top . This is more a symptom of loot and gear drops .

a) The levelling

b) The End Game Only because that's how all games are currently structured.

c) The PvP

c) Sand-Box (No levelling pre-se, but other means of gear and skill to progress)  A combination of these two is preferrable.

Thanks in advance for any replies, just trying to get an idea as to how many are seeking the same type of game I am, and hopefully these answers will tell me that.

In the end a game should always try to be entertaining and not feel like work . That's the hard part for developers to get right . The trick is targeting your demographic , and pandering to them . Not all games are for all people . When you target a demographic , you need to maximize the numbers of that particular group and provide what interests them . Every game is a niche game , because no game is universally liked nor played.

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

a) Yes

b) No

c) Don't care

c) I don't normally care, but I usually don't like it forced.

b) 2 Factions

c) 3 Factions

d) Multiple (4 or more)

d) Multiple, just to make it interesting.

d) Hardcore, prema-death

b) Decent cost. I want players to think before just killing another player for the sake of it.

c) Slow.

a) The levelling

b) The End Game

c) The PvP

d) Side parts.

b + c) I'd love to see a little of both mixed.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

a) Yes

b) No

c) Depends on combat mechanics and if its gearbased. I rarely PVP in MMO's that have a gear treadmill. The whole idea to fight someone in arena based PVP that has a clear advantage in stats is silly imo. In open areas it depends on what kind of PVP it is.

b) 2 Factions

c) 3 Factions

d) Multiple (4 or more)

e) Not b

a) Minimal, you want to be straight back in the action : This. Dying means I lost, so I dont need penalties as incentive to put my out of the action for a while. Those penalties also highly frustrate me if I die because of a glitch/lag. So minimal penalty please.

d) Hardcore, prema-death

d) If the game is good, I don't care about the characterprogress rate. I've played fun games with relatively fast progression, but also with slow progression.

a) The levelling

b) The End Game

c) The PvP

d) The side parts of the game (Housing, collections etc...) (Wouldn't be the sidepart for players that find this most important :p )

e) A lot of features if possible so there is a lot of different things to do. If a MMO is limited in this aspect, then I grow bored with it relatively fast. The only feature that could counter this is PVP. But I dont play PVP in all MMO's.

Combination of b and c. I like that you can explore in any direction and also into directions that are too dangerous for you. I also like alternative ways of character progress. The more features in a MMO the higher chance it keeps me entertained, even if some of the features are just mediocre (SWG for example).

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh ; 

1) a 

2) d (4)

3) b , this depends on what genre of MMO we're talking about , if we're talking about a MMORTS then I would prefer a) .  As for d) you mean if you die you gotta start over from scratch? If that's the case why is this even allowed? for a F2P MMO , yea sure why not I guess , but not for a P2P MMO. 

4) b , a speed where you level along your travels. What I mean is let's say your in the starting area and you've done all the quests and you're up to level 6 but the next area , monsters are level 12-13 and able kill you easily , means you gotta grind the starting area for a few hours before being able to advance. But then again that's a good thing if the next area out levels you because that forces you to party up and keep enjoying the game , "MMO"rpg. 

5) b , Just because a) , c) and d) means nothing in the long run if your end game is garbage.

6) c

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

a) Yes

b) No

c) Don't care

A) Yes I want pvp

b) 2 Factions

c) 3 Factions

d) Multiple (4 or more)

A) free open PvP were players make the fractions themselfs. Makes for the best Politics ingame, you can comunicate with everyone.. very Important in an MMO and I think premadeFraction was a really bad design from the start

d) Hardcore, prema-death

C) I want Harsh.. ships get blown up, gear gets destroyed.. etc.. you get deleveld annything that makes people think twice before runshing brainlessly into combat..

None of the above I dislike Levels and MMO should do away with them... But some sort of progression is needed, train over time, or If you use a skill you improve in it etc.. I dislike classes also...

a) The levelling

b) The End Game

c) The PvP

D) the side parts and that Includes crafting, housing, Politics and comunity mangement... This 2 me can work as an endgame ( I do not consider Time sink Endgames like Instance/BG and drop mouse wheel mecanics as an endgame.. I feel they are just ways to slow you down your progression

B) and C) open world with other things to do then rush to some fabled Endgame that is a gear orientated timesink...

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

a) Yes

b) No

c) Don't care

I want pvp in my MMO, but I think it is important that there be safe zones (not the whole game) or at least not huge consequences to progression (experience or skill loss)

b) 2 Factions

c) 3 Factions

d) Multiple (4 or more)

Personally, I'd like a game with a 3 faction system, but also a free for all area where guilds can operate outside the faction system and set up their own factions.

d) Hardcore, prema-death

I think it is important that death have a consequence, but not so harsh that people will steer away from PVP.  No loss of progression, or loss of important gear.  But a loss of crafting material and supplies or non bound gear would be fine.  People should travel light, but there should also be incentive to move goods, so that there is a good chance for a reward from the pvper.

I think levels are old hat.  The feeling of progression should not stem from the number above your characters head, but the effect your character has made on the world.  Gear progression is necessary, I just think character growth shouldn't be about stats, but about ability.

a) The levelling

b) The End Game

c) The PvP

Everything.  If the different parts are disjointed then everyone is playing a seperate game.  Everything should be interconnected, and for the most part, enjoyable.

Personally, I prefer a little bit of everything.  Sandbox is important for player impact.  There should also be a cohesive storyline, although I believe it should be told by the community, not the individual.  A series of quests is not a story.  The evolution of a zone is a story.  But no individual should feel that by not going to a certain area, the greater story is not realized.

Sorry I don't really fit into your multiple choice :(

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

this reminds me of college exams, I think we can create better ones.

I wil say this though, its likely I would not play an MMO for very long unless it had empire building. By that I mean clan vs clan warfare, with clan built cities, craftable ships etc.

That said, without those items I am still very curious to find out what World of Darkness would be like

World of Darkness hmmm their studio is like 1.5 miles from my house...I'll run over and ask them what they are up to for you, brb ....

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760