Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old developers returning to Vanguard? Should we?

Comments

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I have played Vanguard on free trials a couple of times and it has actually evolved into quite a good game. I wouldn't blame SOE for making something of it as a F2P and it would be a shame to see it shelved like SWG.

Some improvements to the graphics wouldn't go amiss though. I was mostly disappointed with the character models but that's just my personal opinion.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Will it stay as P2P or go freemium or f2p - does not matter for me.

Really I love game's concept and I was even subbed to Vanguard as first game after one of my longer mmo breaks ,but I just don't personally feel like coming back.

"Too litttle ,too late" <-- this comes to my mind sadly :(

Just waiting for GW2 and ArcheAge now.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think his concern is about selling off quest areas or creating quest packs where, if a player doesn't have that quest area they can't do it.

My thought is that if Vangaurd were to become f2p it would be more about selling cosmetic items, pets, special emotes or mounts, etc.

SoE's f2p model doesnt restrict content, outside of the latest expansion pack, which of course VG doesnt have.  They restrict gear so that players an only wear group level drops or crafted (gear that only raiders would ever truly need).  Which also wouldnt work in VG, because you could just use crafted gear.

Outside of race and class restrictions, Im not sure what SoE could really do wth a f2p model that would actually bring in revenue.

This.   However, if they did go ftp with Vanguard, I would certainly go back.  I played it last year for two or three months and was pleasently surprised.  

Another testament to the power of a bad launch.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

The only reason vanguard exists is because of sony so people really need to stop with the hate

microsoft were the original investors and sony saved the game from being cancelled.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

What could they put into the store?

- access to TP's, free players couldn't use them without a ticket, and those cost

- access to mounts, free players can never get a mount or run the mount quests, without a ticket that costs

- Xp pots, crafting pots, etc, I'd rather see more players, even if it is a little unbalanced

- Randolph

Getting a healthy population is goal #1, so anything they can do, balanced or not, is good. After they get it healthy, my guess is they want to sell it.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by uohaloran

Originally posted by Garvon3

Originally posted by Skuz

Smedley has tweeted that there will be news of a Free to Play system in this game, now obviously the work it entails to convert to a free to play title can be very extensive & the wide-open nature of Vanguard will mean it will take much more work than say a more segmented or instanced game such as DDO was.

The developers moving back to the title, from wherever, could be a temporary thing, to prep the game for F2P & to do the groundwork for future development should the move to F2P prove a success, whereupon further investment in development would become finacially rewarding for SoE & they'd swing it into gear.

With EverQuest now moving to F2P in March I can see Vanguard following suit behind it, I wouldn't expect further details to emerge until EverQuest's F2P transition has been completed though.

So long as they never add instancing to the game it might work. The problem with FTP is that it works by breaking the community up, which is the opposite of what an MMO is supposed to do.

I don't understand?  What part of F2P breaks up the community?

I think his concern is about selling off quest areas or creating quest packs where, if a player doesn't have that quest area they can't do it.

My thought is that if Vangaurd were to become f2p it would be more about selling cosmetic items, pets, special emotes or mounts, etc.

I play DDO and this behavior exists. That said, in DDO doesn't matter and its not a problem at all... you just need people and a decent LFG tool ( like DDOs ). In fact I think that vanguard's LFG tool ( while not as good a UI as DDO ) encompases the functionality needed.

I am playing VG right now ( subbed ) but would love to see f2p. Be nice to get a ton of new players in !

Originally posted by olepi

What could they put into the store?

- access to TP's, free players couldn't use them without a ticket, and those cost

- access to mounts, free players can never get a mount or run the mount quests, without a ticket that costs

- Xp pots, crafting pots, etc, I'd rather see more players, even if it is a little unbalanced

- Randolph

Getting a healthy population is goal #1, so anything they can do, balanced or not, is good. After they get it healthy, my guess is they want to sell it.

Cool ideas. Also some classes would be available free/not. They could even limit access to dungeons "invisible barrier unless flagged".

Cosmetic gear, more hairstyles, and if they added them, Mercs.

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

Even as the game stands now it is better than many of the new MMO's that have come out in the past 5 years.  But I think VG is a game for the "older" crowd, this is not a game for the SWTOR or WoW fan club.  I play it on and off and have a lot of fun with it.

The great thing about this game is it has been left alone and not completely dumbed down like many other games, even EQ1 and 2 have been slowly WoW'd over but not VG.  I hope if this is true they are not coming into make it more like WOW...... 

As to the store question they could put just about anything they currently offer in the EQ1 or EQ2 store.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

VG would be a great game, if there was any sort of character development.  Every person in every class is exactly the same

Gear is the only progression, no talents, no AA's no post cap things to do.  Once you max out diplo and crafting you are pretty much bored

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by InFlamestwo

I wont support them any further until they give us what the players want.

I played it for 1 year 4 years ago.

Isnt increasing the development team what the players want?  Bringing back people that worked on the game prior?  

it doesnt matter that the development team increases unless they actually do productive work. At this time (and state of the game) i wouldnt join unless its going F2P

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Mari2k

To to the homepage of vanguard and look at updates, last was at 

- December 9, 2009

This game is dead...

The website is dead. Its not the last update, last update I know of was about 3 weeks ago (and introduced the very infamous crash bug where you would crash at every levelup).

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

If it becomes free to play and there will be a significant population boost. I'd take about 2000 - 3000 people online during prime times at a bare minimum then yes. I would definitely return.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Even without ftp, if it started to get real development again, I would consider going back.  I just think it is too hard to kickstart the game, after all the down time.  Vanguard is in my top 5 mmos, but when they didn't do the relaunch, I think it may be too late.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Myrdynn

VG would be a great game, if there was any sort of character development.  Every person in every class is exactly the same

Gear is the only progression, no talents, no AA's no post cap things to do.  Once you max out diplo and crafting you are pretty much bored

You do realize that many classes have specialization routes (for instance clerics have peace, war, purity and a few others) shaman have 3 animal aspects, in many cases these routes require different gear so its not that easy to just swap between them (although you can usually do a quest to do so)

They were working on AA's. IMHO talents are a waste. Rift proved that although customization is nice it makes balancing a nightmare.. IMHO id rather have an AA system than a talent system. that way when you get someone in a group you don't have to worry too much about their spec and can concentrate more on fun than on critiquing a build..

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Mari2k

To to the homepage of vanguard and look at updates, last was at 

- December 9, 2009

This game is dead...

Really, the game is dead!

I don't know what game i was logged in to an hour ago but i am pretty sure it was Vanguard.,sure you are not getting the meaning of what dead actually means?

Originally posted by Myrdynn

AAs are coming this year. Your post made me think as I am all for everything you mentioned above. That said, the classes are so well done that I never really thought of it...

interesting. but yeah AAs are coming this year.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

If you get a fishing pole with some painkillers tied to it, you could probably lead Brad Mcquaid back to do 1 maybe 2 weeks worth of work.

It's a start!

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I'll check it out if it goes F2P. No way I'm paying a sub for this.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Originally posted by tom_gore

Ha, everyone wants everything for free these days.    I just bought the game again for 10 bucks you get 30 days with it, its not a huge investment.  It beats going to see a movie IMO.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I'm a fan of Vanguard and have a subscription but the problem is that any players who are comign back or new players have to enter with an open mind.

The game has come a lnog way but it still is buggy, the jumping and swimming is a bit odd, there are still issues. Completely playable but when you compare it to more modern games as far as polish, players will complain.

Unless one is ready to commit to the game "as is" as well as be accepting of a small but good community.

Yeah, let´s hope they use some of the new resources to fix those things and add a little more polish.

VG is not a bad game at all, but the engine never been good.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Originally posted by cukimunga

Ha, everyone wants everything for free these days.  

It isn't a matter of wanting 'everything' for free, many people (myself included) don't feel that Vanguard is worth the current subscription price.  If it was, I imangine more people would be playing it than there currently is.

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

I did enjoy my time in Vanguard, but what made me leave was... the bugs!  Oh my all the bugs... I'm usually pretty patient and forgiving with bugs, as long as they're not game breaking, but I honestly had my fill in VG.  If developers really are coming back on board, I hope they don't just add new features, but address some of the performance issues and bugs that, frankly is keeping a lot of their customer base away.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Shoju

It isn't a matter of wanting 'everything' for free, many people (myself included) don't feel that Vanguard is worth the current subscription price.  If it was, I imangine more people would be playing it than there currently is.

This..it is not about the money. 

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

Make this game F2P for the love of god!! Is a fantastic game and im sure there are tens of thousands of ppl waiting to return to this game if they can just sort the populations out.

F2P= higher population, 

higher population= Players will return in droves

I cannot think of any other MMO that needs to go F2P as much as this one

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Originally posted by Shivam

Originally posted by Shoju

This..it is not about the money. 

I think its more along the lines of people won't play because there is not enough people playing. I logged in and I have not heard nor seen one person in game.. I tried all the chats and got nothing. Maybe F2P would help the game but personally if  it did I'd still sub because the game is worth paying for when there is actually people to group up with.