Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who has the better pvp, Rift or WoW?

Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
Just got off the tor wagon and was looking for my new pvp home. Just tried the 3 day come back trial for Rift and it gone quite a way since launch. I enjoyed my rogue quite a bit and I'm just curious which route to take. I understand wow is quite balanced but if it comes to aesthetic preference I'd rather play rift if it's more balanced since launch. Some input from max pvp rank rift players would be preferred. I understand there is a gear treadmill for both games but I want to know what it's like when you catch up to the joneses.

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

This is kind of like asking if you would rather have a root canal or an enema

Heh but in serious, I probably enjoyed WoW's pvp a bit more. Still, both follow the gear grind philosphy. I remember seeing a while back that Rift was going to separate their skills between pve and pvp for balance reasons, not sure if they ever did that.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , it's like asking who's the better baker : A butcher or a civil engineer    :P

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Given the choice between the two, WoW.

But as the above poster mentioned, neither are particularly great at it. There are better games out there for PvP.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Trion at least seem to be trying to improve the PvP situation with recent patches and promises of more to follow.

WoW on the other hand doesn't seem to have any further plans for PvP as far as I can see.

My vote would be with Rift on that basis, but there's not much in it at the moment.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

do you like arenas or world pvp

battlegrounds are the same either way

Rift has world pvp

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

It is a cointoss, really, both games (as far as i know, stopped playing them both) are/were stuck in that twilight zone where it is ok to have players running around with (numbers out of my...) 40k hp 15k armor 5k dps and heals battling against 20k hp 3k armor 5k dps players without heals, and where "active skills" and "tactics" will somehow balance the outcome...

Flame on!

:)

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Im sure there are better pvp games but of which can hold a population of wow and rift? Recently rift added the mercenary system to kill que times so even faster pvp. I honestly prefer world pvp but Im just looking for something fun to play RIGHT NOW while waiting for GW2, TERA, AA or any other mmo that can finally veer away from the tried and true wow formula. 

Originally posted by Banaghran

It is a cointoss, really, both games (as far as i know, stopped playing them both) are/were stuck in that twilight zone where it is ok to have players running around with (numbers out of my...) 40k hp 15k armor 5k dps and heals battling against 20k hp 3k armor 5k dps players without heals, and where "active skills" and "tactics" will somehow balance the outcome...

Flame on!

I usually play support/healing roles when i pvp so this wont be a issue but your allowed to have your own opinion. 

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    If player went?rift!
  • UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

between the two, I'd say Rift.  The class system allows for more experimentation.  WoW you have to be pretty set on liking exactly what class you like to play in pvp and then you are stuck with it.

Rift lets you switch it up often depending on the situation, and when certain builds get buffs or nerfs, it's easy to switch to whatever you think is better.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

WOW

WOWs PVP is a pile of donkey dung

RIFTs PVP is a pile of donkey dung that has been festering away for 6 months

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

Originally posted by Darkfalz89

Flame on!

I usually play support/healing roles when i pvp so this wont be a issue but your allowed to have your own opinion. 

Well, as long as you define healing/support as ~50%dps + heals + buffs (HERECY, i know :) ), there is no disagreement, but what i was trying to say is, dont expect to be a special flower "i will keep you alive!", what you will unfortunately see most of the time in low to middle skill pvp, because of a more complicated pvp combat system, are zergs of self healing high defense guys coupled with the occasional OP fotm thing, like toons twoshotting people and/or toons spamming a single skill to victory.

And, for the record, "population of rift" , there are quite a few games out there with sub 500k players :)

Flame on!

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228

For the best PVP see Asheron's call.

I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• ShaydrynShaydryn Member UncommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by logicbomb82

For the best PVP see Asheron's call circa 2001-2007.

Fixed.

Current AC is much more gear-based than skill-based. High-end PvP has become increasingly more accessible to people with scant amounts of player skill. See the 520hp melee and/or archer with full magic absorbing and epic bt, bd8 insert axe, bow, crossbow, sword, ua here.

The only vestige of AC PvP that exists lives with a small circle of mages who can pull off a consistent 2-second cast.

Plus, the February patch is going to change (most likely destroy) the core dynamics that make AC PvP what it is through a plethora of new procs and dice-roll mechanics that further negate the effects of keyboard skills/player reaction time in fights in group and 1v1 situations.

EDIT: @ the OP: Thumb wars are better PvP than WoW and Rift combined. 

Originally posted by Darkfalz89

Flame on!

Well, as long as you define healing/support as ~50%dps + heals + buffs (HERECY, i know :) ), there is no disagreement, but what i was trying to say is, dont expect to be a special flower "i will keep you alive!", what you will unfortunately see most of the time in low to middle skill pvp, because of a more complicated pvp combat system, are zergs of self healing high defense guys coupled with the occasional OP fotm thing, like toons twoshotting people and/or toons spamming a single skill to victory.

And, for the record, "population of rift" , there are quite a few games out there with sub 500k players :)

Flame on!

Well the throw me some games that fit the bill in terms of population that you feel isnt what you mentioned above :P. 

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

They both suck but I would have to say RIft because it has actual open world PVP.

Any game that has canned pvp gear rewards sucks from a pvp standpoint in my opinion. Canned pvp rewards should only be achievements and not gear that can be used in the open world.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Just like all gear progression games the PvP is only fun during leveling or when you have the best gear.

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

Neither, Guild Wars is tops in terms of skill based. But Rift is better than WoW's. WoW is a joke that millions of fools take seriously.

-I am here to perform logic

Originally posted by Theonenoni

Neither, Guild Wars is tops in terms of skill based. But Rift is better than WoW's. WoW is a joke that millions of fools take seriously.

While this is true, Ive returned to GW many times in the past several months and found pvp to be quite dead. Thirty minute que times no thanks, but yes it was some of the best pvp i ever had. GW2 hurry up and come out :/

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by TheeazD

Rift 100%

WoW is one of the worst games I have ever played.  The lack of polish on a game that is what...8 years old..is completely unacceptable.  

wow is the most polished game out there. you may not like some ascpects of it, but it does what it's supposed to do.

I've got the straight edge.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Rift, Rift, Rift.

I'll admit I'm decently (hugely) biased because no matter how many times I tried I just wouldn't get into Wow.

However!! PvP in Rift is my entire end game.  I rarely dungeon, and never raid, and pvp content is massive and keeps my playing still almost a year after launch.  Not to mention they are constantly balancing to try and make it better and more fun, as well as adding more pvp content every patch.  They do a wonderful job of adding both pve and pvp content.  And Rift actually has world pvp content, whereas I never saw much of it in WoW.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by jacklo

Trion at least seem to be trying to improve the PvP situation with recent patches and promises of more to follow.

WoW on the other hand doesn't seem to have any further plans for PvP as far as I can see.

My vote would be with Rift on that basis, but there's not much in it at the moment.

huh?

MoP is adding DOTA!!!

Blizzard is making huge steps in improving the PvP. Hey MoP is suppose to be Faction vs Faction focused.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

RIFT PvP is nothing compared to high rated battles in WoW

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

What do you like better: fuji apples or gala apples?

Just a fancy way of saying they are pretty similar, imo. Seems like comparing apples to apples. I think they are both enjoyable, although quite similar.

However, I do believe Rift specs give each class a little more variety. In rift you can end up with multiple pvp specs + multiple pve specs, where in WoW it seems like you pretty much can have only one dedicated pvp spec, if you want multiple pve specs.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well, I am not PvP-ing myself and I am 100% relying on what I read from others here, but Guild Wars and Warhammer Online seem to have gotten some praise for their PvP.