Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this going to be buy to play?

DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

i have heard 2 different things from friends who follow this game. one said its free to play, like you just download it and play without having to buy the game and the other says you have to buy it but no monthly sub.

anybody know wich it is for sure?

personally im hopeing its buy to play because if its just free then it will be full of hackers. but if people have to buy it that cuts down on the hacks.

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Imho it will be freemium.

Mostly cash shop based with optional sub ,but no initial cost.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

I have heard free to play also, but when some people say free to play they mean buy to play.

My guess is it will be free to play, but free accounts will be limited to a certain balttle rank, and possibly limited in their certification options.  It remains to be seen though as nothing official has been announced.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by sirphobos
    I have heard free to play also, but when some people say free to play they mean buy to play.
    My guess is it will be free to play, but free accounts will be limited to a certain balttle rank, and possibly limited in their certification options.  It remains to be seen though as nothing official has been announced.

if it was buy to play...then it cant be free to play...since you paid...understand?

All signs point to it been free to play, this means:
    no box fee
    cash shop
    very likely "freemium" optional sub.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

It will be F2P from the gate and 1000% sure there will be a cash shop now as for a sub with added bonuses not sure.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

They've already said it's gonna be f2p with an optional sub.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

damn it!!! free to play atracts to many hackers =(((  they dont care if they get banned because they can just make another free acount in 10 min and go out aim botting again.....

• TriadninjaTriadninja Member Posts: 111

I think it would be interesting if they made you submit your hardware profiles when signing up for the game, that way banning a hacker would be done by banning the hardware.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

If i rember right this is going to be a Free to play game

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• SadOldGamerSadOldGamer Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

damn it!!! free to play atracts to many hackers =(((  they dont care if they get banned because they can just make another free acount in 10 min and go out aim botting again.....

This is also a huge problem in f2p mmo's, I remember apb goinf f2p and the bot invasion. I hope, I really do, it's going to have a montly fee but it seems they already planned not to.

I don't mind paying each month for a good game at all..

• orgashorgash Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by SadOldGamer

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

This is also a huge problem in f2p mmo's, I remember apb goinf f2p and the bot invasion. I hope, I really do, it's going to have a montly fee but it seems they already planned not to.

I don't mind paying each month for a good game at all..

REALLY REALLY hope SoE have a better strategy for anti-hacking than PS1..the hacking issues plague the game so bad..

People used various hacks even with p2p just free trials made it easier to do obvious hacks knowing you could just make a new account if the old one eventually got banned..

• TriadninjaTriadninja Member Posts: 111

Your hacking fears may or may not exist, it all depends on the engine.

I was just over on the MMORPG.com Firefall forums, and someone had linked a PC gamer article that interviewed the director(I think?) of Firefall, where he goes on saying how all MMOFPS games before firefall "sucked" (Though, Planetside wasn't mentioned, so maybe hes just thinking of Hellgate:London and Tabula rasa?).

Someone then made a comment on how Firefall's engine was built primarily as an FPS game, then with MMO elements added to it. They say with their current engine, since it has done so well with the current gameplay that they may be able to do open world territory PVP.

Then that got me thinking, Planetside 1 came out in 2003 (correct me if i'm wrong, I've never played it) and the engine at the time was huge. 9 years have pass since the game came out, so depending on how long PS2 has been worked on, they have had plenty of time to develop a brand new, high powered engine that deals with aimbotters and speed hacks and the like. I'm sure that not only will the engine support the huge maps with thousands of players like a pro, but also have ways of either keeping the hitscan of the weapons serverside, or have ways of easily detecting hacks.

• SandaStunnaSandaStunna Member Posts: 101

good thing about f2p is it puts bodies on the battleground while subs can progress better and further.

it does attract the low life. it will happen, just matter of time. i just hope they can counter those problems along the way.

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

My only concern with f2p is that the games I have played that are f2p seem to lack the fine polishing that you get from p2p games.  I'm just concerned its going to be a b-grade game because they are building it to be f2p from the beginning.

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• ZeemerZeemer Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by ompgaming

My only concern with f2p is that the games I have played that are f2p seem to lack the fine polishing that you get from p2p games.  I'm just concerned its going to be a b-grade game because they are building it to be f2p from the beginning.

I cant help but reflect back on the many p2p MMO's that we have been blessed with that lacked all sorts of fine tunning. *cough* *cough* KOTOR. This game even with some fine tunning will still provide hours upon hours of mindless killing and endless waves of human shields. 

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

I genuinely hope you are right.

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

SOE has been cracking down on hackers recently they launched LP4 which scans the game you're playing for active hacks being injected into the game client and id expect PS2 to use the same Launch Pad. 

On the topic of engine its using  Forge Light http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forge_Light_Engine  designed by SOE.  This is an in house engine that they will be able to customize and update as much as they need/want to get the results they want I cant stress how much more freedom you have when using your own engine over licensing someone elses for your game.