Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Potential Minecraft killer?

MuffpojkenMuffpojken Member Posts: 54

We all know that Minecraft still is dominates of Indie gaming. Notch and Mojang will forever be held as kings of indie-gaming.

Terraria, which in my opinion is not a Minecraft clone, did a good job, putting some diversity into this "crafting-genre".

Today i stumbled over this clip: 

Cube World. It looks familliar, but in a new way. I for one is extremely stoked for this title, and as  stated in the tittle, I think it has potential giving Minecraft some competition.

What do you guys think?

Playing: ARMA 2
Waiting for: Darkfall: UW
Played: Ultima Online, Age of Conan, Anarchy Online, Planetside, Dark age of Camelot, EQII, WoW, SWG, FFXI and a lot more

Comments

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

it  sure looks good

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Nothing will kill minecraft because you can mod the hell out of it..

Also reading the blog page the crafting side of things seems very basic as well as the house building being limited to certain designs.. People loved the freedom that you had in minecraft it was one of the main pulling points.. without this freedom to do waht you like then you basically have a game made of squares, i think id much rarther play Skyrim..

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

you craft a sword by drawing it.

thats awesome!!

cant wait

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Ik, I saw this game too. It's looks pretty damn epic! I like the concept, should really change some things.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

I think you missed this

http://www.gamezone.com/news/mojang-hires-creator-of-cube-world

The guy is hired by Mojang now.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by zakiyawow
    I think you missed this

I wonder if this means that Cube World development will fall behind. Which might not be such a big deal if a lot the stuff in Cube World gets rolled into Minecraft.

** edit **
    That guy officially has one of the coolest names in the world. Wolfram von Funck.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Originally posted by zakiyawow

I think you missed this

I thought Wol_lay did not go through with it because he didn't want to move to sweden? Might've just missed the part saying he'll work from home though ^^; dont hold it against me.

Anyway.. This game is nothing like Minecraft, so i dont see why it would kill it.

The only similarity is that the game is made out of cubes/voxels, you dont dig or mine, and building can only be done with predefined walls / roofs / house pieces.

its for all intends and purposes a RPG

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

I'm pretty sure this is the third time this is posted this week. And Agoden is right. Not a Minecraft killer.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Actually i consider this (my) Minecraft killer.

http://www.minerwars.com/

Might also become an MMO at some point.

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

Yeah, cube world will not be the minecraft killer. Notch actually hired the guy for his talent, and he tweeted that the guy will continue with his own project.

Personally I think this implies that even for Notch, there is no conflict of interest existing.

Also, I'm getting the hunch that Notch is trying to hire these indie developers that have the same vision/style as him. Maybe slowly he'll incorporate their features into Minecraft.

Personally I think it's better that way than several Minecraft look-alikes appearing, without us knowing which ones are good ones and which ones are just clone wannabes.

At least when they are under Mojang, we know that when we want to play a sandbox, we'll get Minecraft. If we want adventure, we'll get Cube World. It's like Mojang can become a developer/publisher that specialize in different cube/voxel-based games, the same way that Bioware specializes in story-driven RPGs, Bethesda in massive open-world and open-ended RPGs, and Rockstar in open-world, story driven games.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

WoW... this game.... 

The colors man.... the colors... its like the are gently carressing my eyeballs while telling me how sexy and interesting I am.

All jokes aside this game looks amazing... really good find OP thank you for showing it to me. I love minecraft but this game.... combat looks way better... and the game just pops

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• Sys7emSys7em Member UncommonPosts: 120

an RPG minecraft?! I can't wait! but going to have to image

• SabbythSabbyth Member UncommonPosts: 52
    edited May 2021
    So many bots in this thread it's ridiculous.

Edit:  The bots have Necro'd the thread!  Haha.
    "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
    — Shigeru Miyamoto