Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Persistent Open World

Do any FPS MMO's have a persistent open world?

I've been trying out if Firefall/Planetside2 are? 

I would love to play a non instanced FPS MMO (Didn't like Global Agenda because it was fully instanced.)

Can anyone help?

Comments

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Darkfall

Fallen Earth

Mortal Online (I think - not 100% sure about that one)

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

The closest thing right now would be Fallen Earth... but the FPS combat is in my opinion very low quality compared to a real FPS game.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by astoria

Darkfall

Fallen Earth

Ah I meant with guns, and not overly buggy, so Darkfall is out :P

I liked Fallen Earth when I first bought it, but it felt unfinished, is it any better now?

But I still don't think Fallen Earth really fits my definition of FPS :P

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

Don't think planetside 2 will have any instances. Don't know about firefall.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Lille7

Don't think planetside 2 will have any instances. Don't know about firefall.

Planetside 2 will be a persistent MMOFPS, but Firefall won't be. Even the devs don't like calling Fairefall a MMOFPS these days, but I'm not sure how it's structured. I think it will have a hub-based system.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Valua

Darkfall

Fallen Earth

I liked Fallen Earth when I first bought it, but it felt unfinished, is it any better now?

Well...it is as much FPS as Global Agenda. TPS accurately. But it was never the most precise implementation, LOS issues, and rubberbanding. But I never had any of those problems, I just heard about them. So I can't say whether it runs smoother now, it always was smooth to me, though animations were not top shelf.

They've streamlined the combat since launch and added a lot of content, especially PvP and end game and a few 'zones'. You don't spend all your time buffing up now.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Valua

Darkfall

Fallen Earth

Well...it is as much FPS as Global Agenda. TPS accurately. But it was never the most precise implementation, LOS issues, and rubberbanding. But I never had any of those problems, I just heard about them. So I can't say whether it runs smoother now, it always was smooth to me, though animations were not top shelf.

They've streamlined the combat since launch and added a lot of content, especially PvP and end game and a few 'zones'. You don't spend all your time buffing up now.

The aiming system in FE is horribly broken. It's based off of the crosshair from the camera's point of view. Meaning if you zoom out to third person, aiming gets really screwy. If you zoom out and are aiming in front of you, your accuracy technically goes down because the aim is from your camera's location. Alternatively, if you're in third person view with something behind your character but right in front of your camera view, it's ridiculously easy to hit it -- with your character facing the other direction mind you...

I don't think they'll ever fix this issue since it's so deep in the game's code.